Excellence Playa Mujeres
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Playa Arena(Isla Mujeres)
12,971 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This resort was an absolute pleasure in every sense of the word. The attention to detail, and luxury appointments was great. The romantic and isolated setting of this resort gave us the exact setting that we wanted.
Your money is well spent at Playa Mujeres Excellence Resort.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Destiny2014
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I visited EPM to celebrate our 1st anniversary Jan 18-26. We booked this in July and I have read every review since then. It was so surreal to actually see all the things I had read about for the past few months.

I will not go through all the things that we have all read about many times but some of the things that I learned reading other reviews that helped us take advantage of all EPM had to offer.

1.If it is your honeymoon or anniversary make sure you bring a copy of your marriage license in order to get the package that comes with your stay, they did ask for it.
2.The monkey pineapple drinks are only on Wed at the Sol bar and get there early if you want one. We got there around 12:50 and it was raining and no one was at the pool and they had just run out.
3.The coconut monkey drinks are Fridays at the Sol bar. They have a demonstration at 1pm to show you how they make them and then they have 30 to give away.
4.Send all your requests, i.e. pillow top, dinner on the beach, building requests, etc ahead of the time by email.
5.Spice has a chef table, you need to get there at 6pm to put in your reservation for that day. There are only 8 spots at 630 and 8 at 930, I think. That is what they had when we were there. We went twice and it was so worth it. The food was great and so was the chef, Mr. Miagyi.
6.If you have the chance do the hydrotherapy circuit do it before your massage not after. I did both and I liked it much better before. Oscar was great.
7.Although tipping is not expected, the staff truly appreciates it. My husband and I brought $450 and used all of it. It did not change the service but everyone works so hard that we felt they deserved it. Some of the great staff that we encountered were: Cesar in Cafe Kafe, Jaqueline and Gloria, the hostesses for breakfast and lunch and Toscana, Lorenzo and Ceasar for lunch at the Lobster House, Adan at the Cielo bar, Santiago our concierge and Luis at Basmati.
8.The Michael Jackson and Madonna shows were awesome. Get there early to get a good seat and bring your camera. The magic show was also fun.

I hope this helps a little. The only thing that really bothered me was the room set up. It just bothered me more and more as the week went on. There really is zero privacy from the frosted glass to the bathroom and the window in the shower that is open to the room. If one of us got up in the middle of the night we woke up the other one. It is also very loud in the hallway. This is not enough to stop us from coming back, we actually asked if we could see the rooftop room and I think we will definately try that one next time, hopefully it will be a bit quieter-in the hallway at least. All the patio lights also shut off at 10:30pm every night and I would have liked to read out on the patio bed a little longer since it was so beautiful at night. Next time I will just bring a book light. We had an Excellence Club room and I still am not sure if it was worth the extra money.

Other than that drawback, we had an absolutely wonderful time. We take 3 trips a year and this was definately one of our favorite places, it was so relaxing and the staff was so wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 8 or 9 if you like a quiet room. Ask for the pilow top because even with that on there the bed was hard since it was more like foam top than pillow top. If you don't get the swim up ask for a higher floor.
3  Thank thekrugans

We stayed in a standard room January 28-Feb 1st. So, here's the breakdown:

THE GREAT -
The Martini Bar - drinks and staff are great, especially at the Martini Bar, but all the drinks and all the staff were Excellent!
Basmati - if you like Indian food - we love it and were quite impressed. Not spicy hot, but lots of different spices used. My husband got the lamb curry and it was awesome. I had the chickpeas and they were pretty good. Skip the samosas.
The omelet station at the breakfast buffet. I had it twice. Should have had it everyday. Anything you want, they have. Even just egg whites. Great.
The Roman style calamari for lunch at the Lobster House, Cooked perfectly.
The balcony with the bed on it. We stayed in Building 7 on the third floor. We could enjoy the entertainment from the balcony - we loved that too, but understand it's not for everyone. The music is pretty lively from about 7-10 then dies down to quiet around 12.

THE GOOD
The lunch buffet. The Seafood station was great. The rest of the buffet was a solid "good" Typical "4-5 star" all inclusive buffet. Not disappointed at all.
Chez Isabelle - We got the "Filet Mignon". I'm pretty sure it was sirloin. But it was cooked a good medium rare as we asked. The table next to us got the same thing and we laughed about how cutting it was a work out, even at medium rare.
The Michael Jackson Tribute show - it was alot of fun.

THE OK -
Room service - they have the little doors for the food which is so thoughtful for those of us who hate getting dressed to answer the door, but rarely used it. They just kept knocking on the door even when we said to put it in the box. It usually took about 45-60 min. However, we called and scheduled it for breakfast the next day and they were right on time. They HAD to come in to delivery it though. Use the box! Use the box! "Yes of course, maam. .. knock, knock ... room service" Grrrrrr. Food was always lukewarm and not always what we ordered, but we expect that from any room service.
The Lobster House lobster. Chewy. We left and went to Chez Isabelle. (Chewy, too - see above). I would have preferred a buffet.
The hamburger. The menu says beef and there may be beef in it, but get the chicken.
The turkey. Very porous. It looked like a slice of sponge. It tasted okay though. Kinda like ham. May have been ham. I don't know what it was. Don't get anything with lunchmeat on it.

THE BAD -
The beach sucked. But the pool was a nice alternative. The pool with the pool bar was slightly heated, which was very nice. But people stayed in the pool all day long ... drinking ... all day .... hmmmm.
The maid service - it was great when we got maid service. The last two days we were there, we didn't. We called to ask for the room to be cleaned when we got back from the "beach", they said "right away", went out for dinner and drinks, and came back to an untouched room. We called again. They never came, despite the "Yes, of course!" The next day, the room wasn't cleaned again and we didn't even bother calling. We just made the bed when we got back. Oh well. Saved that tip I guess.

All in all, we had a good time, but will pass on this resort next year.

4  Thank rabtyoung
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Once again a big thank you to the BeachBum team for suggesting this resort, you always know what we are looking for.
This is one of my all time favorite resorts! Service is fantastic and the rooms are to die for.
We stayed in the Excellence club section which is well worth it, close to everything and if you stay in this section you have access to the VIP lounge with bar and treats that is always opened. Excellence club also has its own roped off section of beach with waiters and the service is excellent, you are never more than 5 min without a drink, the food at the resort is excellent with tons of choices.
The resort is just beautiful and I will be going back again for sure.

Room Tip: upgrade to the Excellence club.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I decided on the spur of the moment to go to someplace warm, I think the temp here in CT was around 11 degrees that day. We told the travel agent we wanted an ocean front room and a nice beach. We aren't pool people, so nice beach and water is top priority.
He recommended EPM, so off we went. The hotel is in a newly developed area, away north from the rest of the hotel area, kind of secluded, but that's ok with us. We arrived, and were immediately impressed by the look of the place. Very elegant and absolutely spotless. When we got to our room, I was a little disappointed, you had to stand on tiptoe and crane your neck to see the water, but, hey, we waited till the last minute to make our plans. I asked the desk if there were any rooms closer to the beach, but they were all filled up except the honeymoon suite, which was a big step up in price. I took a look and fell in love; a huge suite with a deck facing the most private part of the beach..so, you only live once, right?
Unfortunately, the beach was less than perfect. Maybe we were there on a bad week, but the ocean was rough and full of seaweed. Bummer!
What saved the vacation for us was the trip we took out to Isla de Mujeres, a fifteen minute ferry ride away. It's a wonderful little island, and it has protected beaches, great for swimming! We ended up going there three times in six days. Another day we saw the pyramids at Chichen Itsa, a long ride, two and half hours, but worth it, an amazing and thought provoking place..lots of ghosts there.
Anyway, good food, good shows nightly, nice people(hi, Ruvi!) and beautiful grounds, but if you love the ocean, it's less than the best. We were on Grand Cayman last year, seven mile beach is what I'm talkin about.

Room Tip: Break open the piggy bank!
2  Thank Larry B