Excellence Playa Mujeres
$640
$608
Beloved Hotels
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa(Playa Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$146
  • Pool
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
$494
$415
Agoda.com
$480
Bookit.com
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
$263
  • Room Service
$43
$31
12,960 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 29, 2008

The Excellence Playa Mujeres is a very special place. My wife and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary there March 16th to the 23rd and were very touched by the daily efforts of the staff to help us enjoy the week.

My wife had visited the EPM for a week in February, accompanied by our 21 year old daughter, and had such a great time, she felt it was the perfect spot for our celebration. The staff remembered my wife and greeted her warmly.

On the morning of our Anniversary we were surprised by a private breakfast on the beach, table set with linen and silverware and two waiters to entertain and serve us. One of the waiters, Aurelio, took pictures with a digital camera he had readied and emailed us the photos later that day. Pedro, the hotel's Executive Chef, had remembered I had expressed a desire to try Eggs Motulenos and I was amazed at the combination of crisp taco, refried beans, diced ham, fried plantain, ranchero sauce, peas, cheese and perfectly poached eggs. Champagne and orange juice with dark and delicious coffee washed down the feast.

The evening of our Anniversary, we were invited by the conceierge Eduardo to enjoy a specially prepared supper, with tender steak and incredible lobster. Early in the course of the meal a waiter approached with a portable phone. It was Eduardo. He asked me to meet him at the front of the restaurant to select a song for the pianist to play so that my wife and I could have a surprise Anniversary dance together.

As noted in many other reviews of the EPM, the quality of food served in the numerous a la carte restaurants on the property is outstanding. The buffet offered for lunch and dinner is also of high quality. Breakfast was perhaps my favorite meal of the day, with fried plantain and banana puree filled crepes covered in dark chocolate sauce giving me a good reason to get up each day. The fruit selection was fantastic, with overflowing bowls of raspberries and firm ripe papaya my favorites.

The rooms were of a quality I have not seen before, in spite of taking one or two trips to the Caribbean a year for the last 25 years. Four poster bed with great mattress, leather L shaped sofa, lots of room to move around, 42" Plasma satellite TV and large closet with safe. The shower was huge, with rainfall and adjustable height shower heads. The in-room jacuzai tub was terrific.

We were given an upgrade to the Excellence Club, with our room having an ocean view. The room faced east and the rising sun would warm the room each morning. Isla Mujeres is visible not too far offshore, across a turqoise stretch of ocean. Room service offered a good selection and food always arrived hot. The room fridge had a good selection of soft drinks and beer. We slept with the balcony door open each night and enjoyed the gentle night air.

The beach was wide, with soft white sand and a gentle incline into the water. The sea grass that washes up is raked up often and was never really apparent. Beach waiters circulate and seem to be there whenever you wanted anything.

I have run a business offering spa services for a number of years. The spa at the EPM is of the highest quality. The spa itself is circular, resting on its own island, surrounded by a shallow moat of body temperature water. The entrance to the spa is through 20 foot high muslin curtains drifting ethereally in the breeze. Guests are invited to float along the surrounding moat, taking advantage of water jets, each intended to massage different areas. Neck, shoulders, back and legs feel great being stimulated by the warm water sprays. The front desk spa staff make great efforts to have guests feel welcome and relaxed from the moment they enter. After changing into robes, guests rest on loungers in a low lit room, waiting for their therapist. The massage therapists have great sensitivity and skill, in particular I would recommend Vanessa and Paola. At the beginning of the massage, the guest is asked to inhale essential oils and drift into one of their live's most relaxing experiences. My wife and I went to the spa for massages four times and can't say enough good things about it.

Every staff member said a pleasant "hola" as they walked by and we frequently heard, "have an excellent day". The Excellence chain is clearly working hard to provide a good experience for their guests.

My wife and I recognize the level of service offered by the EPM to be superior to that provided by other all inclusives we have visited. It deserves to become a top Cancun destination and we can't wait to return.

24  Thank NorthernBeachBum
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Beautiful resort. Wonderful service. FIrst-class accomodations. Delicious food. My husband and I and another couple stayed at EPM in January and have no complaints. We were upgraded for free to the Excellence Club and this was very nice. We would not have paid for it because it seems everyone is treated extra special at this resort.
The only downside is the lack of available excursions - if that is your thing. But we were so impressed with the resort we had no reason to leave.
Feel free to contact me with questions at christinelib@yahoo.com

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank christinelib
Reviewed March 28, 2008

There is a lot to like at this resort: Great Food, nicely decorated and clean rooms, attentive and friendly staff and manicured grounds.

With that said there is room for improvement: Service at the restaurants was uneven: at some it was great, at others very slow. Some hot tubs around the pool were not functioning properly. The heater at the main pool broke down on the Wednesday we were there and was still not fixed by the time we left on the Saturday. Maid service was never at the same time. Some days it was early in the morning, some days late in the afternoon. It made it difficult for us to plan some alone time in our room. We could hear the noise from the construction workers next door from our hotel from our balcony. The beach was clean but not very pretty. Pool and beach service was uneven.

This is a fairly new resort and possibly, with time, these issues will be looked after making this a 5-star destination.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Toronto_OntarioPete
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Hola! We're a couple in the late 20's and we visited EPM in march 2008. In general its a great place!

THE GOOD

The restaurants are great, there 8 in total. Definitively he best food we had in an AI in Mexico. A la carte every night and no reservation required. The best one, french Chez Isabelle don't miss that one. We didn't really like the steakhouse, the filet mignon were not good, different kind of meat. House wine are drinkable, we had much worse elsewhere. You can buy other wine but they are expensive. Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet-Sauvignon was 47$, it sold here in quebec for 18$, probably less in USA.

breakfast and lunch were also great.

Bar and drink were really good. You can ask for anything you want, its available. Sometime they use cheap boze to make frozen drinks or other mix drinks, just ask for the alcool you want and they will do it.

Pool and beach are also great. We spend most of the time by the main pool and there was some music and animation. The beach is calm, not much going on here, nice place to relax. Carlos at the pool bar is great.

The room are perfect, we had a swimup suite and it was really nice. I recommend this upgrade. If you dont care about the ocean view, the excellence club upgrade is useless for the price. Rooftop was not for us. The bathroom is open so keep this in mind.

THE BAD

Entertainment after dinner is pretty bad. The show at night were really boring and the disco always empty. Its the perfect place to go to bed at 10 PM. If this is what you are looking for, book now its for you.

Every morning, we were awaken by room service cart rolling on the walkway tiles outside our room. It was very loud. I don't understand why they still do this like that since there an outside walkway they could use. Its probably worse being on the first floor. Really annoying bring ear plug.

EXCURSION

We when to Chichen Itza and it was a long day but worth it. We also visit Isla Mujeres. We took the ferry and rent a golf cart there for 45$ to tour the isle. Is was great and I highly recommend this little trip.

Overall great place for couple over 40's who want to relax and have great beach, pool and meals!

P.S. Enjoy my toilet door pic!!

12  Thank jonathanfromquebec
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My husband and I as well as 2 friends have just returned from a wonderful week at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. This is our second time at an Excellence resort and would not hesitate to try a third.
The pros:
The hotel is beautiful. Yes the grounds are a bit young but already it is a wow. The furniture and decor is simple, comfortable and very modern. The rooms are amazing and spacious.
The pools go on forever and there is no need to reserve chairs as there are plenty available at each of the pools.
The restaurants are great and you are sure to find several things you like. We really enjoyed going for appetizers at the flavor market and then going to dinner. We also thought it was nice that each restaurant was not only beautiful but so different from the next. We loved not needing to make reservations or wear a wrist band.
The spa was fantastic, be sure to go at least an hour early for your appointment to enjoy the hydro therapy.
The bar and restaurant staff are wonderful and very friendly. There is a bit of a language barrier.

The cons: I am sure these will be solved in time, but there are a few things that need work.
The pools were not as clean as they should be, we did see the vacuum come out once at the end of the week but by that time there were quite a few leafs and bugs in the pool.
The biggest complaint was the maid service. It was efficient but incredibly slow, we did not receive turn down the first night and had to call the second. We also had to call to have the room cleaned as it was after 4:00, this happened twice. The mini bar was not stocked in our friends room for 3 days.
The nightly entertainment was awful. They have a beautiful stage area to watch the shows, and yet little worth watching. They are supposed to play a movie each night prior to the show, but out of the seven nights we were there only 2 of the nights showed the movie and both times it was Oceans 12.
Daytime entertainment didn't exist unless you were at the main pool. It would be nice to see some music make its way down to some of the other areas as well.

All in all the four of us had a wonderful time and feel the resort is great but not yet a 5 star.

14  Thank JenandGreg