“EXCELLENT Excellence!!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Have just returned from 14 fantastic days holiday at this superb hotel, it was for our 40th wedding anniversary. We have been lucky to stay in other fabulous hotels around the world but nothing compares with this one.
The service and amenities at this hotel are second to none, from the food in the nine restaurants to the litre bottles of spirits and daily refilled mini bar in our room. The room itself (junior suite as it is called) was very luxurious with its own round spa bath!
All the staff match the hotel in their friendliness, everyone of them smiling, passing the time of day and doing as much as they can to make the stay as wonderful as possible. To name but a few, Vilma and Jesse - concierge, Lorena and Gloria who greeted us each morning at breakfast with beautiful smiles and kind words, Jessica and Oscar in Basmati - so friendly, helpful and fun, all the waiters and waitresses in all restaurants and bars - so many names, not enough space to type all. We could go on and on and this review would take over the whole section.
Basically we want to say a big "thank you to everyone" and to say that the management should be so proud of all their staff and their establishment.

If you are reading this review (and the many others like it, all giving praise), don't hesitate, just go and enjoy.

Dennis and Chris

3  Thank denchris2
Write a ReviewReviews (12,345)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent 5 days at the Playa Mujeres. I agree with most of the reviews. Resort is beautiful, immaculate! Service staff are pleasant and always striving to serve you. We were in building 8 which we thought was spectacular- convenient location and perfect views. We were EC and the biggest benefit of this in my opinion is the EC beach. The service there is superb and its just a great place to be.
We had massages at the spa and they were probably the best massages we have ever had. Really excellent!
One afternoon we rented the jet ski for half an hour (for $67). That was a blast. They let us go 45 minutes and we split that with another couple which worked out perfectly.
We also did a day trip to Isla Mujeres- took a taxi and ferry on our own and then rented a golf cart when we were there. That was a highlight for us. It was just really fun to see the island and cruise around on our golf cart and explore. We ate the best seafood meal there at a place called something Mininios. Yum. Its right on the main drag not too far from the ferry. The Coconut shrimp was too die for!

As has been mentioned- these are the cons:
-cold pools, even the hot tubs are cool- what is with that?
-a lot of the food was just not good. We never had a decent dessert the whole time with the exception of the ice cream. Breakfast was 5 star excellent but everything else was below average- except Chez Isabelle- that was the best meal BY FAR!!! We went there the last night and I wish we would have gone there every night.
-bathroom set up- we just would prefer a real door on the toilet- thats all :)
-It was too windy the whole time we were there to try out the non motorized beach equipment which was a bummer.

One other tip if you go in November. The best sun is in the morning. Once it got to be around 3pm it was too windy and we were cold laying out on the beach- so get up and lay out around 9- its perfect then.

4  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have just booked to go back here again. We first went in 2007 and our next visit will be our sixth time. I have previously been reluctant to return to the same place, but since we have found a real paradise we don't want to risk anywhere else. From the moment you are met at the airport you are in safe hands. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The whole resort has an air of tranquility and quality unrivalled in our experience. There is always a quiet place by the pool to sit and read, no shortage of sun loungers as in other resorts and the staff are so attentive its hard to believe. We always take dollar bills, and tip throughout our stay, the staff are genuinely delighted to assist in any way they can to make this a dream destination. The whole resort is spotless and seems to have had no expense spared. Just can't wait to get back there in February!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gemmalovesholidays
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed for six nights November 4-10, 2012; our first visit to EPM. If interested, see my reviews of other Mexico AI’s we have visited. We stayed in a standard non-EC room, number 2205. Five stars for this resort, as I believe anyone would be hard-pressed to find a better all-around AI in Mexico. Attempting to review and offer useful information for other first-time visitors –

The Very, Very Good –

The EPM staff is truly fantastic, as mentioned by so many other reviewers. “Yes” on every request; truly exceptional; the best we have experienced. The EPM is easily the most guest-friendly AI resort we have visited.

The dinner entrees were all outstanding; the best we have ever had at an AI, by far. (Some of the dinner appetizers and deserts were hit or miss.) Service at dinner was top-notch; timely and friendly. Dinner portions were plentiful. The biggest surprise for us was Flavor Market, where we had a full meal; simply incredible.

The ambience of the resort is unique to any other AI we have visited. The EPM can be as fun or as Zen-like as you want. It all depends on where you want to stay during the day and how/where you want to spend your evening.

And, reviewers (including me) oft-times forget the obvious: the EPM is clean, clean, clean!

The Could Have Been Better –

The breakfast and lunch buffets at Toscana were lacking and inconsistent in several areas. This surprised us given our outstanding dinner experiences. Buffet service was great at times, extremely poor at others. Some of the food selections were not very tasty and/or somewhat odd. We found that using the two grilling stations (different selections at each) and a bit of creativity helped the buffet experience.

A good night’s sleep is important. We found the bed pillows provided upon arrival to be really, really bad; barely meeting the definition of a “pillow”; odd given the other great room furnishings. The bottom-line (that we finally learned after several days): if you do not like the pillows, call room service and have them bring one of each of the various pillows they have available (several different types). We finally decided on feather pillows for Diane and “universal” (their term) pillows for me, the latter being the only ones that had any support/firmness.

Other Comments/Tips/Observations from a First-Time Visitor –

The place to be as the sun starts to set is the Café Kafé area. Live music starts in this area at around 6:30, lasts until the evening show starts (great adjacent theater!), and begins again (after the show) until 11:00. Very nice! We found the Martini Bar in the Lobby to be boring relative to the ‘scene’ at Café Kafé.

The Wi-Fi was outstanding in some areas of the resort, nonexistent in others.

A ‘bed topper’ at EPM is a 100%-foam mattress and completely replaces the original mattress. Per the staff, they do not have ‘egg-crate’ or similar sorts of padding. Diane tried their bed topper for the first night and immediately switched back to the standard mattress. The beds are fine, as is. They are a bit firm, but not nearly as firm as other resorts we have visited.

The power in our room went out at random times every day during our stay. It would stay out for only a few minutes; we actually got used to it….

The Do Not Disturb/Clean Room door keycard for the maid is located upon arrival near the toiletries between the two sinks. It took us a while to find it.

We loved the Jacuzzi’s location in the room; completely out of the way. It was a bit tricky to get into, however; not a lot of surrounding entry space.

The lack of privacy in the bathroom area cannot be overemphasized!

Related to this, there is no fan in the bathroom area and the ceiling fan in the room is extremely quiet. I prefer a little ‘white noise’ while sleeping away from home, so I downloaded a ‘White Noise App’ for my phone. It worked great!

There are two electrical outlets in the bathroom area and both are on the left-hand side of the sinks. Bringing an extension cord may be a good idea, although this did not affect us.

While our room was almost the furthest from the beach, the walk to the restaurants, main pool, and beach was easy and pleasant. The landscaping at the resort is phenomenal!

For room service, you need to state when ordering if you want it delivered to your X-box. Otherwise, they will knock on your door to deliver.

‘To-Go’ coffee is available outside of the Toscana entrance each morning (opposite the hostess station). I had a cup every early-morning, pre-breakfast.

During our stay, most palapas near the main pool and on the beach were gone by about 9:30 each morning. Locations directly on the main pool were gone much earlier. There were seemingly always places available along the lazy river areas no matter the time of day. Our daily ‘camping’ areas were the beach, the area between the main pool and Building #9 (there is a non-EC pool there), and the main pool area close to Building #8.

The pool water temperature was very chilly during our stay, but not cold. It took us a few minutes to acclimate.

The staff places rolled-up towels on all loungers (late at night, first thing in the morning, or during the day). These loungers are NOT ‘reserved’ by guests; they are available to anyone.

We did not use the spa, but 30% discounts were usually available with the daily ‘activities’ flyer and coupons left by the maid.

Music at the main pool starts at around 11:00 and the speakers are located directly in front of the Sol Bar. The music can barely be heard at the far-end of the main pool (near Building #8), or on the beach. The music was fun, but the playlist seemed repetitive day-to-day.

Tip: the daily ‘name-that-song’ contest is usually comprised of songs played earlier in the day!

The beach: it is exactly as described and photographed on TA. I took a dip in the ocean daily and the sand is extremely soft (as is the sea grass), and I experienced zero rocks. The sea surface temperature was just right and the waves were nominal. We took (almost) daily walks up and down the beach with zero problems.

No mosquitoes during our stay, probably because we brought, but never used, quite a bit of repellant… Also, it only rained for about 5 minutes the entirety of our stay.

The TA advice is accurate: all you need during the day is your bathing suit and cover-up/tee-shirt and flip-flops for breakfast or lunch. Straight from the beach/pool to breakfast or lunch is OK with this attire.

Our dress code for dinner – Diane: sun dress with sandals. Me: aloha or golf shirt with (relatively nice) Nike wind-pants with Crocs Hover loafers (I could have worn tennis shoes with no problems). This attire seemed ‘average’; some couples much nicer/fancier, others not so much. After dinner, we would sometimes switch to shorts and flip-flops for the remainder of the evening; this was somewhat common.

Trust me: Caipirnha with a splash of pineapple juice. Super tasty, and I swear you can’t taste the alcohol until it is too late….

This is a very nice resort and we would return without hesitation. Send me a message for any specifics.

CS

22  Thank cksdenver
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Rooms are beautiful. We had a two story suite. The view from our patio was breathtaking!!
The resort was very nice, the pools were a little colder than my liking but were very nice as well.
We were comparing this resort to one of our favorite couples resort. It was close but did not surpass. I would love to return a give this resort another chance, unfortunately we had experienced an at our home during our trip that has tainted my review. This resort is nicely setup and I would recommend it to anyone. The nightly entertainment was very enjoyable. I truly enjoyed running on the remote beach in the early mornings. My wife and I had a couples massage, the spa is very nicely appointed and the massages were excellent.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JonDMassachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have just got back from a lovely 2 weeks here.

As everyone has already said, the place is immaculate and the staff (on the whole) make this resort what it is.

I'll cover off the highlights and negatives:

Highlights:

Mariana and Alexander and the team at the EC beach, they truly do want you to be happy and have everything you need, the best beach service we've ever had.

Maid and fridge service - again, fantastic and so friendly, always a joyful 'hola' every time you saw them.

Food - Chez Isabelle, Flavor Market and Barcelona were our favourites. Toscana for breakfast was great and the welcome from Lorena and Gloria was always a great way to start the day!

Rooms are immaculate and bathrooms are great, we didn't have a problem with the toilet.

Negatives:

The resort was busy, there were a lot of wedding parties which did become quite loud at times, we didn't use the main pool or areas surrounding it at all because it was too noisy for us.

Tipping - we definitely noticed a difference in service depending on whether we tipped or not.

Upon arrival, our EC booking wasn't logged on their system. This is something I had checked 3 times with our agent before leaving as it wasn't on our travel documents but I did have an email confirmation from them that all was confirmed. The team on the main reception were lovely and arranged for us to have another glass of sparkling wine while they sorted the problem out. After about 30 minutes, the bell boy took us to the EC lounge and I have to say, I was very disappointed by their welcome, it felt as though we were an inconvenience and were 'trying it on'. We weren't, I had the confirmation of what we had paid for!

As a room wasn't available, we were given a key to one of their hospitality rooms and told it would take 30 minutes then they would buzz us and take us to our room. Now, we had been up since 5am and it was now midnight as far as our body clocks were concerned and so we just wanted to get showered and settled in.

2 hours passed and the buzzer hadn't gone off so we went back to the EC lounge where they just said oh yes, it's ready, again, they dealt with us like we were an inconvenience.

We also decided to pop into the lounge on our way back from the beach a couple of times and were made to feel like we shouldn't have been there, I asked for a coffee which never arrived (we were the only guests there). We left after an uncomfortable 15 minutes and never used it again.

Would we return? Probably but I doubt I would upgrade again, as apart from the beach and ocean view, we didn't use the other EC facilities. I would probably go for a non EC RTT instead. I'd also maybe go at a different time of year when it's less crowded.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank keentravellerworcs
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We've just returned from 12 days at the Excellence Playa Mujeres and I have to say it was amazing. The hotel is the last on the strip so you are out of the way but we enjoyed that as the hotel is incredibly secure and quiet. The transfer from the airport took around an hour and a half as we had to drop off lots of people at hotels along the Hotel strip - but when avoiding dropping others off & traffic it only took around 25 minutes on the way back.

Room:
We emailed ahead and asked for a room in block 7 after reading the recommendations. We stayed on the 3rd floor in block 7 and had the most amazing views of the lazy river, spa and kafe kafe bar. The room was amazing - the jacuzzi bath over looked the balcony, his and hers sinks, giant bed, awesome toiletries, the best mini bar I've ever experienced - I could go on! The room was good for accessing the lazy river quickly, at night you could hear the entertainment going on at kafe kafe so if you didn't want to venture you could still get a taste of the action. The room is well sound proofed so the entertainment didn't spoil our sleep if we went for an early night. Also because the room was West facing you got the sun all afternoon - we usually spent the morning at the beach and then afternoons lounging on the balcony.

It is worth booking the honeymoon package - we arrived to a banner on the door, rose petals on the bed, champagne chilling and a fruit bowl. The package came with 2 spa treatments, champagne breakfast one morning and a dinner on the beach one night. We were made to feel like kings and queens.

Food:
All the food was spot on. We ate at all the restaurants except for Chez Isabelle. We loved Basmati and Spice but all the food we had was lovely. Toscana had the best breakfast - every sort of food you could think of and plenty of it. We usually ate lunch on the beach - there's a little hut which has a BBQ of some sort going on at each lunchtime. Also there's a pizza place at the bar near the main pool - the pizzas were lovely. We also used Room Service several times - again the selection and quality of food was great. The mini bar was restocked daily and we came home at night to sweets and petit fours which was a thoughtful touch (we think the petit fours were only part of the honeymoon package as we spoke to another couple who didn't get them).

Facilities:
There's plenty of things to do. We had the honeymoon package and went to the spa for marine therapy and a couples massage. Definitely the best massage we've both ever had. The spa treatments are quite pricey but our massage came as a package. There's always something going on during the day - we didn't take part in any of the activities as we wanted to relax but if you like to get active there are loads of things to choose from.

Entertainment:
Plenty of entertainment at night. The singers at Kafe Kafe bar were all great, there was a different show each night of the week in the theatre. We saw fire throwers and caught a bit of the Madonna show. During the day there was music at the main pool bar - very much a party atmosphere.

Staff:
Every single staff member was so friendly and approachable. Everyone seems genuinely happy to work there and can't do enough to help you. We weren't sure how tipping works and initially tipped everyone and everything but we found tipping 1 dollar or 20pesos to waiters, bar staff, room service etc was fine and then more if you have a nice evening meal. The cleaners and room staff we felt probably get overlooked so we tried to tip the cleaner if we were ever in the room. Staff that really stood out to us were:

Caesar - He worked on the Kafe Kafe bar when we were there. He was fantastic, he remembered our drinks whilst were were walking to the bar so we never had to wait. He works incredibly hard and the hotel are lucky to have such a talented bar man.

Maria - she worked on the revive bar and was moved to the excellence beach area the day we left. She is lovely, very friendly and very efficient. We made a point of going to thank her before we left as she was such a nice person.

Jesus - the fastest waiter in the west. He worked the beach area before being moved to the revive bar. We visited the beach most days and he was the fastest waiter we have ever seen. The days he didn't work weren't the same - nobody had the same efficiency on the beach as he did. He was always a friendly face and incredibly caring.

Alexander - bar supervisor. He was a lovely bloke - always had time to speak to us and arranged for my husbands favourite beer to be delivered to our room daily. Whenever he saw us he always stopped for a chat and gave us drinks even when he wasn't working on the bars.

Trips:
We booked our excursions via the Thomson rep but we can recommend:
Chichenitza
Worth the 6am start. The temples were beautiful and our tour rep Carlos had impeccable knowledge on everything Mayan. Afterwards we visited a place with a natural sink hole you could swim in and also a tequila museum.

Yacht trip (adult only Albatross)
In the Thomson booklet they give you when you arrive there are several trips to choose from and we chose the VIP Albatross yacht trip to Isla Mujeres. They make sure the boat isn't over filled so there was plenty of space for everyone. It was all inclusive so all drinks and food were included, the bar staff on the boat made sure nobody had an empty glass all day. There's an opportunity to snorkel - we saw some a amazing fish. If you visit Isla Mujeres then it is worth hiring a gold buggy as there isn't that much going on when you get to the Island.

Xel Ha
We booked the platinum Dolphin experience. It's roughly 200 dollars per person but we had an hour with the Dolphin then spent the day looking around the park. If you go be prepared to spend a fortune on the photos and DVD afterwards. The cheapest package was a around 2000 pesos which is around £100. The park itself is amazing - there were manatees, sting rays, snorkeling, zip lines, bike hire. We took a walk right around the park twice as there was so much to take in. The food and drink is all inclusive at the park and you have 4 restaurants to choose from. We ate at the Mexican - probably the best food we've had out of the hotel.

Cocobongos
We paid to go on the bar crawl which ended in Cocobongos. The bars before Cocobongos were good, we only spent around 45mins to an hour in each bar so not much time to settle down. The service we received at the bars wasn't great - we tipped a waiter 20pesos which we did at the Excellence and the barman looked at us if we'd spat on him. He then gave us drinks for the hour without alcohol in them as he was so offended, his opening line was 'You tip me well I look after you well', as we were only in there for an hour we thought we'd keep our money for Cocobongos. At Cocobongos the show they put on was spectacular but it was so packed be prepared to be pushed around and asked to move. It was like being in a mosh pit at one point. We wish we'd paid extra and did VIP Cocobongo - you get much more space to watch the show plus your own waiter service. Also getting out was a nightmare - you're expected to walk across the packed dance floor in order to get out which is impossible unless you are a rugby player. I really enjoyed the shows and if you enjoy dancing then this is the place for you.

We would really really love to go back, not sure we'll be able to afford it next year but we'll definitely be saving for our next trip. Absolute paradise.

Room Tip: Block 7 had the best views of the lazy river and entertainment, West facing so you had the sun on th...