“Excellent - Again!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Plano, Texas
“Excellent - Again!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I were at this resort four years ago when it first opened and absolutely loved it! Two years ago, we returned to the Cancun area to another supposed five star all inclusive and were very disappointed. We could not wait to return to the Excellence Playa Mujeres, this time with another couple, and now that we are home, we cannot wait to go back! We were there from October 25-30. Most of the reviews are spot on. The service, staff, accommodations and food are superb. Our first time we were in building 7 and had a great view of the pools and ocean. This time we had a swim-out room in building 6, and it was just as nice. The rooms themselves were identical. Those who do not upgrade to the Excellence Club will not be disappointed because the ammenities are first class in every room. I would however, recommend buildings, 5 and 6. Sometimes, depending on the capacity, the hotel will upgrade you to building 7 without being part of the Excellence Club, but if that does not happen, there is no need to be disappointed! - If you have an issue with the pillows or anything in the room for that matter, just call the front desk and they will remedy the situation immediately.
We ate at Barcelona, Agave, The Flavor Market (twice) and Chez Isabelle. ALL were excellent. The portions may be smaller than what you're used to, but after a huge buffet breakfast and a big lunch, the size is perfect. You even have room for dessert! - The Flavor Market was a favorite because of the variety of tasting plates. They were wonderful!
Please remember that there IS a dress code at night for the restaurants. After being in a bathing suit all day, it's nice to dress up for dinner. -
The beach does have soft seaweed that is cleaned every day. The only thing negative that I would say about the seaweed is that it was the only thing standing in the way of a picture perfect pristine view of the sand and surf. We walked on the beach every day and loved it.
As you have read, there are many pools. The pool bar is the most social, and it's great fun to meet people from around the world. (Vince, it was lovely to see you and your wife again!) - The lazy river is a great place to unwind in the afternoon to take a break from the commotion. - This trip found us there with three wedding parties. Some of the members of one of the groups thought they were at a Spring Break hotel. Fortunately, they were asked to tone it down.
Kudos to all the people at the Excellence for making us feel welcome. "Mi Casa es su casa" should be their motto, because we will never forget their warmth and desire to accommodate our every need. We cannot wait to return.

5 Thank Louise N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,190)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We went there for the first time on our honeymoon and had a wonderful week. This was our first experience at an all-inclusive and we weren't really sure what to expect, but the place blew us away. The service is exceptional -- they will go the extra mile for you, in every situation. One day during our visit was my birthday, which we shared with the server at breakfast, and not only did they come out later with a breakfast birthday cake and sing to me, but when we came back to our room later that day from the pool, the staff had decorated the room with balloons and rose petals and fashioned towels on our bed into a heart with two swans inside, plus they left a card with birthday wishes. Plus, our lunch server had fixed us a special drink for dessert. Definitely not things we asked for, but such a special touch. The food was terrific -- we preferred Chez Isabelle (French), Spice (Asian), and The Flavor Market (tapas) but everything was good. Go to the Grill for lunch at least one day instead of grabbing pizzas from the Sun bar -- they have several kinds of ceviche, all delicious. The pools are spacious and pretty clean, and the bar staff are great -- they learn what you like and prepare it right away when you show up for a refill. If you're a beach person, you may be a little disappointed as the beach tends to get a lot of seaweed and it's not a very long beach for walking. But we were there for the pool/lazy river, so this didn't bother us. And the staff kept the beach really clean so you could definitely get in the water if you wanted (and many people did). Overall, this was a memorable week for us, and we plan to come back.

1 Thank ayojmo
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I returned from a week long stay at EPM this weekend. What a great resort. Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing, vacation thanks to the great staff at EPM. As many others have reviewed, the resort is top notch, and if it isn't, all you need to do is ask, and someone from the staff will do their best to make it that way. The reason I did not give it 5 stars is not due to any complaint at all. The reason I dropped it one star was due to the food. It is very good, but not excellent, in my opinion. I don't believe it is possible to serve food to the masses like this resort does and have it be excellent. I believe excellent 5 star food is daily prepared dishes from the freshest ingredients possible, then combined, and presented in such a way that you have not seen before. So again this is not a slight on the food here (it is very good) it just isn't the over the top dishes that you would get at a 5 star type restaurant.

Breakfast
Was very good. The variety of the breakfast is outstanding If you don't find something you like on this buffet you probably overlooked something. They have a little of everything and the made to order omelettes and french toast are very good. The only small complaint during breakfast was that my coffee cup stayed empty a little too long on a couple of days but it was not enough to cause me to say anything so just a minor annoyance for a coffee drinker who was ready for his second cup.

Lunch
Generally we took advantage of either the daily offering they had on the beach or the personal pizza's offered at the pool pizza oven. Both options were very good and always easy to access.

Dinner
We ate at every restaurant except Basmanti (wife and I are not huge fans of Indian food) and Barcelona. As mentioned at the beginning of the review we found the food to be very good, but not excellent. This is not a complaint, it is simply an observation based upon the fact that they have a very monumental task of feeding a wide array of people in a short amount of time with little to know menu variation with regard to ingredients. They do a very good job given these circumstances and we found the food to be very good.

Staff
Excellent. We were very well taken care of during our stay. The following people went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves:
Maria at the pool, Victor on the beach, Enrique (hardest working pizza maker in Mexico), Fedencio (sp) at the Martini bar was always a pleasure. We were also checked upon by Mariana and our concierge a few times during our stay to be sure everything was to our liking in the room, which it was.

Room
We had a walk out room which was fantastic. We enjoyed being able to walk out and jump in the pool for a cool dip in the afternoons. We found the room very clean and the daily services (make up, turn down, and mini bar restock) were timely and well done.

Overall a fantastic trip. We will absolutely return again in the future. For those who have referenced the different type of crowds in previous reviews, We did notice that there were areas where folks were letting their hair down a little more than others but it didn't bother us. We understand that holidays/vacations mean different things to different people and try not to put our values and expectations on others. Overall everyone one was respectful and short from a few loud folks that are bound to happen when that many people are put together it was fine. You can always find a quiet place at EPM if that scene isn't for you.

Can't wait to start planning the next EPM visit.

Room Tip: Bldg 7 and 8 are the better bldgs.
1 Thank RDG636
Eastern Shore, VA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I visited this resort for the 2nd time 10/21/12-10/16/12. We are in our early 30's. We vacationed here 3 years ago for our honeymoon and couldn't wait to come back. We would have come sooner, but I had a baby and it had to wait.This time we asked my husband's parents to come along and one other couple who are great friends of ours. We wanted to share the experience of this truely amazing place with others. I will not spend this whole review talking about what everyone else has said, but instead try to offer some tips. I will say however that if you are reading review after review about Excellence Playa Mujeres and trying to figure out if you want to come here look and read no further. BOOK IT NOW!!!
The staff if spectacular. They give so much attention to detail and make you feel so special! The resort is beautiful, SPOTLESS, and smells like heaven. I almost asked management for a bottle of their cleaning solution so I could clean my house with it. I swear it gives you the sense of euphoria the minute you walk it.
You will be greated with "Welcome Home" when you arrive. They give you a great smelling cool towel to wipe your face and a glass of champagne upon arrival as well. Check in was a breeze. They will need to see your passport. Check-in is at 3pm. We arrived at 2:30pm and our room was ready, but my in-laws was not. They gave us a pager and told us it would be ready in 30 minutes. We waited at the Martini Bar and in 30 minutes the pager went off and a bell boy took us and our luggage to our room. I requested building 5 again because we liked it last times. It's far enough from the noise, but not too far that it's a long walk. We wanted a basic spa view junior suite. I personally don't need an Excellence Club room. We don't spend that much time in our room to find it necessary and even if we did the Junior suite is more than enough for me. The picures of the Junior Suite on the Excellence Resorts website is exactly how it really looks.
Because it was our Annivesary we had an Excellence Anniversary bannar on our door, beach bag, navy polo shirt and hat waiting on our bed for us as well as towel swans with roses and champaigne in the room. There is a stocked bar with large bottles of liquir in the room and a mini fridge with snacks, sodas and beer. The room (and resort overall) is very romantic. The shower is amazing and you will not want to get out of it. The hottub is great and the provided toiletries are super. I did not use the shampoo/conditioner/bodywash I brought because thiers smells so good and is really nice. They stock it everyday and you will never run out. The hair dryer is also very good so no need to bring your own. The open air bathroom concept was not an issue for us. We gave each other privacy by asking the other to step out onto the balcony for a few minutes. I packed a small bottle of room freshener too...lol.
If you have any special requests you would like taken care of before you arrive you can email the resort through their website. I requested a pillow topper for the mattress about a week before we arrived and they emailed me back and said it would be done and indeed it was!! We slept great!
Ok now...Here are a few tips I think you will find helpful if you are going to be vacationing here soon...1.Fill out your immigration and customs forms on the airplane before you get to Cancun. Fill them out completely or they will make you stand to the side at the airport and fill it out after you have waited in the long line. After you fill it out put it in your passport and have it ready. 2. After you get through customs and can exit the airport walk straight out the sliding doors to the outside. Ignore the people who will try to stop and talk to you. They are timeshare people and can be very pushy. 3. Pack pleanty of sunscreen. It's very expensive at the resort. 4. Pack extra pair of sunglasses. You may lose a pair at the pool and the ones for sale at the resort are expensive. 5. Keep the do not desturb key card in your door if you do not want to be desturbed. If you do not answer your door when housekeeping or staff comes by they will open the door and come in. 6. If you want your room cleaned/bed made simply turn that key card around and place housekeeping sign facing out and your room will be done when you get back from breakfast/pool. 7. Call and request turndown service before going to dinner at night and when you get back your room will be ready for bed. 8. Ceiling fan is turned on by the button next to your bed above night stand. It's hard to find if you don't know. We had to ask. 9. The doors to the room is on a sensor. If left open the AC turns off. So if you walk out onto your balcony and leave the sliding door open the AC will not run and the room will got hot quickly. 10. Tipping is greatly appreciated by staff and they deserve it. You can tip with american dollars or you can get pesos from the front desk. We did both. $5 keep pool side drinks coming all day long!!! Maria is wonderful and will keep you happy (tip or no tip). 11. If you need a day off from the alcoholic drinks and main pool/swim up bar I would recommend the lazy river and smoothie bar. The smoothies are great and will heal a hangover in no time. 12. Try the ceramic painting station by the lazy river. It's fun to do one morning with your hubby and turns out beautifully. We did a candle warmer and have it sitting on our nightstand at home. 13. Dinner portions are small except at Spice(big portion). If you're really hungery you might want to order 2 entrees. 14. Don't overpack. All you need is a bathsuite during the day and dressy clothes at night.
I think that is about it. Sorry for the long review. Hope this helps. Go, Have Fun!!!!! and don't overspend on an upgraded room. Not needed!!!

Room Tip: Building 5 is great. 6 and 7 are good too. don't over spend for excellence club,
20 Thank love2vacation1010
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our second trip to Mexico but our first to this 5-star adults-only resort. From the moment we arrived at the resort, the quality of the service was top notch. Check-in was smooth and we were escorted to our room, which was beautifully appointed, with an indoor/outdoor jacuzzi, and a walk-out terrace, that had cozy lounge seating, a few steps away from a pool.

We had a wonderful vacation! The food was sensational, the bars offered elegant drinks and the entertainment was outstanding. Service was excellent throughout the hotel, and the grounds were superbly maintained.

As in most things, there was room for improvement. For example, rooms were well cared for but the fridge and glassware should be replenished without having to call. But when you do call for any type of room service, it is fast and efficient...so much so that after every visit, you get a call from management to check up on it. I have to admit that that was a bit much, especially as on certain days, you might call for something several times a day. While I can appreciate why they do it, they should know that if guests don't get what they asked for, they will follow-up. Alas, a few naps were interrupted!

The room was very comfortable, as was the bed, but not the pillows. They are about half the size of standard pillows. To any establishment I say do not compromise comfort for look or style. Most people forget what the bed looked like, but they remember if they slept well or not.

With a few refinements, I think Playa Mujeres can compare to the best luxury resort in the Caribbean. We would not hesitate to return, and recommend it to anyone looking for a great experience!

Room Tip: Recommend the junior swim-up suite.
2 Thank MALT71
Indiana
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Once again, our week at Excellence was wonderful. The resort is immaculate...the service impeccable...the food delicious. The higher than normal winds brought in a little more seaweed to the beach area, but the resort staff did their best to try to keep it cleaned up. We will be returning next year with the friends who joined us on this trip..

Room Tip: We like to stay in building number 8. It is close to the restaurants, theater, bars, and main pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lakegirl60
queens, new york
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at this property three times and it just keeps getting better. We stayed in an oceanfront excellence club room in building 9 (the most quiet building) and loved it! If you want to be closer to the action, stay in building 8.
The food is amazing in ALL restaurants. Every year they even keep adding healthy food options for the health conscious. The staff is amazing. The rooms are impeccably clean. The mini bar in the room is stocked with candy bars, potato chips and bottles of liquor. The amenities in the bathroom are stocked with Bvlgari white tea which is refreshed twice daily. Besides the restaurant options, there is an open pizza oven on the beach at lunch along with a daily grille with a different theme.
If you want to keep busy, the nightly itinerary which is left in your room will give you plenty of options in addition to the nightly entertainment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!