“Average. Not Excellent.”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Cancun has a lot of beautiful resorts. Throw a rock... you'll hit something beautiful. If you want to relax in the sun, there are plenty of places for that. If you want something more… well, that costs extra.

This resort advertises a "5 star" experience. Food, service, accommodations and amenities. This doesn't come cheap... nor should it. But people that pay it, should get what they paid for.

We purchased 7 days in an Excellence Club ocean front room. The room was nice… the view was beautiful. But that is where my praise for this resort stops.

After visiting, I'm not sure anyone at Excellence has ever had a "5 star" food experience. The food was 2-3 stars at best. The steak house being the worst offender. Why even offer a "steak house" if what you are serving looks like it could be served at a Dennys Restaurant?

Another issue was the portion size. I get it… "5 star" meals are supposed to be savory and elegant. With exception to the Asian restaurant, every meal consisted of a tiny this and a tiny that with garnish. I remember one meal that had a tiny, overcooked tenderloin and three tiny scalloped potatoes. (yes… I said 3) - for dinner.

Come on.. this isn't a Food Network show and I'm starving.

The best meal I had was during the lunch buffet. I found a guy that would grill up a plate of fantastic steak tacos with cilantro. Truly great... and the reason I came to Mexico (the food) - But you have to seek out this type of service at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

On the surface, each restaurant appears to be running without visible management. You see staff standing around talking. In many cases, indifferent to the guests who have paid to be there. Certainly NOT what you expect at a "5 star" resort.

While there were many wonderful people working in this resort, there were still plenty more that were willing to provide only a mediocre experience. Again, mostly due to the lack of visible management to oversee the guest interaction.

When you pay a premium (like we did) to go somewhere and "unwind" - you have to feel like you can trust the people enough to "let go" and truly relax. This is the definition of a "5-star experience".

This is not what we received at Excellence Playa Mujeres. We always had to be alert. From the service in the restaurants to the watered down drinks on the beach. Like I said, there were good experiences too… but not "5 star" experiences.

I was told "no" in more ways than I like. Even while tipping everyone, I still had some that refused to serve us with a good attitude. One guy even argued with me over an additional California Roll.

To be fair, when we confronted the resort management, they bent over backwards to see that the remainder of our experience was a good one. And as much as I appreciate effort like that, we expected the resort to be running in a manner that didn't require that type of specialized attention.

My belief is Excellence Playa Mujeres was once offering a "5 star" experience. But with time, ownership/management became complacent and quality slipped. Still telling themselves they are offering a "5 star experience" - not listening to people like me that think otherwise.

I certainly will not consider Excellence again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ashtastic1
Write a ReviewReviews (12,506)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband I were there the first week of October on our honeymoon. The resort is imaculate in every way. The rooms were very nice. We had a swim up room in building 4. We thought the food and the service were both excellent. My only complaint is that they allow women to be topless on the beach. I don't think a women on her honeymoon should have to worry that her new husband is looking at other women that have bigger breasts than mine. Some things should be kept in private, especially when they know newly weds are there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank J M
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went to Excellence for our 3rd trip in July 2012. As always...we felt at home once we walked thru those big wooden doors!!! I can't say enough about the staff and how wonderful they all are! Adan and Rachel at the EC pool and EC beach are amazing!! They remembered us from our trip last year and it made us feel like we never left.

Agave has now moved up to my favorite resturant there. The food was exceptional this trip with Agave sticking out in my mind the most. For anyone out there with food allergies, the staff understands and is very accomodating. I have a gluten allergy. When we were at Barcelona and when the waiter asked why I didn't eat my bread and I explained. He went to to get me gluten free bread. He went above and beyond to make sure my dining experience was surpurb even with the allergy. Even though there were many gluten free options everywhere...we had a similar experience at Flavor Market. The waiter asked the chef to make me some gluten free choices and they were all amazing!

I think the best thing to say is that we are planning on returning again in 2013 and this time we are going with some friends of ours to go with us too! I want everyone to know how great this resort is! Do not hesitate to book your trip! Excellence means romance and relaxation!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Schatzegsd
Reviewed October 9, 2012

For anyone who has not had the pleasure of staying at an Excellence property and are considering it - you can't go wrong at the Excellence. My husband & I have stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and Excellence Playa Mujeres a number of times each. Both resorts are wonderful and when planning a trip we often have a hard time deciding which resort to visit!!! The service is amazing. As a travel agent, I have VERY high expectations and the Excellence meets them each & every time!  I'm going to attempt to highlight a few details of each the Excellence Playa Mujeres:

Greeting - The resort is very secure. The resort is gated and when arriving at the resort your name must be on the guest list to be granted access. Once inside the gate you are taken to the most beautiful outdoor lobby where you are welcomed by a smiling face and a cool towel. Once inside the door you are given a glass of champagne or other cool, refreshing drink of your choice. The attendants at the front desk get you quickly checked-in and you begin your walk through the beautiful resort grounds to your room. If you are an Excellence Club guest, you bypass the front-desk check-in and are taken to the Excellence Club Lounge for check-in...more on that later.

The bellhop provides a brief tour of the resort providing you information on restaurant & bar locations and operating hours, water sports information and evening activity details. Once you arrive at your room, the bellhop explains details of your room and leaves you to begin your luxury vacation in paradise!

Rooms - The rooms are gorgeous. The large poster beds, luxury bathroom and beautiful views are second to none. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. There is ample space for unpacking and storing clothes and stowing suitcases so you feel “at home”. The bathrooms are pure luxury. Marble shower and water closet along with a Jacuzzi tub with room for two are just some of the features you won’t want to leave! There are two sinks in each bathroom so there is room for two people to each ready themselves at the same time. The balconies have a “reading bed” which is wonderful for lounging on a lazy or rainy afternoon or having a glass of wine after dinner!

Food – The food at the Excellence is absolutely wonderful. From the breakfast buffet to room service you can’t go wrong. Excellence Playa Mujeres provides nine restaurants each with a unique menu and dining experience. The wait staff is always professional and provides wonderful service. Breakfast choices include the breakfast buffet at Barcelona or an al a carte choice at The Lobster House. Both choices are very nice. The Breakfast Buffet offers traditional bacon & egg choices, standard Mexican cuisine and also lighter choices. Lunch is available at buffet or two al a carte choices all three of which are wonderful. Dinner is always wonderful and always the perfect end to a perfect day. My husband & I enjoy talking & relaxing as we are pampered and catered to at each of the dinner restaurants. Room service is always tasty, hot and fast if staying in is on your agenda!

Entertainment – There is ALWAYS something to do at this resort. Whether you are interested in a Tequila tasting, water aerobics, beach volleyball or lying on the beach soaking up the sun you will find something fun to do! The evening entertainment is some of the best in Cancun. There is a different show/activity each night and there is typically live music from 5pm to 7pm or so at the outside bar area.

The Excellence Club – while not necessary to enjoy the resort – this feature is VERY nice. The main benefits are private check-in/check-out in the Excellence Club area, private pool/beach area with pool/beach concierge, Excellence Club which provides free computer access with internet, mini-buffet all day, coffee/cappuccino, bar and concierge. The beach is what we enjoy the most. The beach chairs are spaced out further than in the non-EC area. Therefore you feel as though you have more room and the area is more private.

The largest difference between the two Excellence properties in Mexico is their location. Excellence Playa Mujeres is situated north of Cancun in Playa Mujeres. The resort is next door to the family friendly property The Beloved and on the other side is a golf course. You can walk the beach north of the resort for miles and there are no resorts and no crowds. It’s very peaceful.

Overall – we love this resort and give it a big two thumbs up. I have high expectations for myself & my clients and the Excellence meets or exceeds those expectations on each visit. Feel free to message me at Lindsey@thetravelgals.com if you’d like more information or to see some of my pictures!!! 

Room Tip: If staying in the Excellence Club at this resort there are two Excellence Club buildings.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L_Johnson_TG
Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a clean, beautiful hotel! My fiance and I had been in Tulum,for 2 days and then took a cab to our next hotel which was the Excellence hotel. Although very different from Tulum, Excellence was such a wonderful experience. We did the couples spa, went kayaking, hung out by the pool, sat by the beach, drank, ate, laughed, danced and it was wonderful. The staff was amazing, and the rooms were so clean and the service was incredible. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We are actually thinking about getting married at the Excellence hotel!

Room Tip: Our room was not facing the ocean it was facing the pool. We were on the 5th floor and it was a litt...
3  Thank Shell7886
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It's all been said before, but here we go again, fantastic staff, fantastic resort, fantastic service. Had a little problem with check in, upgraded to swim up room, reception were not aware of this, please take paperwork to back this up it will cut down on check in time. Our room was on the lazy river, nice and quiet, away from main pool. My only nit-pick was, if you were small, fat, or old, or maybe all three, it's quite difficult getting out of the river. The steps are near the bar, no steps near swim up rooms. Having said that the lazy river was great, wait for a bed to float around, jump on and let the current do the rest. This is our second time at excellence resort's (1st, at riviera maya) both resorts are very similar, but I think the beach is better at riviera maya. All in all its a lovely complex, we didn't want to come home, and we met some lovely people, hello Sara and George.
Hope this helps you with you decision.

Room Tip: We had room 4003 on lazy river, so for this area if you want peace and quiet.
2  Thank janoandpastie
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Having a degree in Hotel/Restaurant Mgmt does make it hard sometimes to actually go and ENJOY vacation... but this is absolutely the very 1st time in my 27 years of critiquing that I truly considered myself actually on vacation! From the get go, I began my emails to reservations regarding various requests. They were quick to reply & even though those emails were 5 months before our arrival, I was amazed at the detail and even the going beyond my requests we received. We were there the last week of September 2012, in which it did rain some the first days we were there. However, this resort is so spectacular even the rain could not stop us from smiling... As for details: we stayed in the two story oceanfront suite in the 9000 bldg which was magnificant! We were away from the late night music which did go on alittle past 11. But if that doesn't bother you, those suites have FABULOUS views! As for the rooms: seems like the bathroom seemed to be a big concern: so the toilet... yes, it is not concealed behind a completely closed door. However, it does have a frosted hinged door that has a small space (maybe 2 ft) at the top and at the bottom. And yes, there is not a wall closing off the sinks from the room....so if that bothers you, I suggest bringing a sound machine, turning on the water, radio or the tv....the shower does have a closed, sealed window to the bedroom really not a big deal...it steams up anyway...the beds: we did get a mattress topper and extra pillows it was FABULOUS! Room temp: I really didn't see any problems...make SURE to close all outside doors (balcony etc) as it automatically turns off when those open. Plunge Pool: not heated. Really awesome for after a long day at the beach to sit in... COMPLETELY private & the jets and h2o fall spouts you can control and those also give you a lot of privacy with their own noise... (I will say some rooftops are not as private as some other bldgs look down on them so you can request if that's a concern) The loungers on the balconies are wonderful! You really can not help take a nap! TV was mentioned in some reviews: yes there is not much on tv at all..if that's a big deal to you bring DVDs. They do have a selection for you to pick from but those are limited & when it rains they go fast. The pools are magnificent! There are lounges everywhere. I will say it was not full compacity when we were there; however, I truly think finding a lounge might not be too hard during the height of the season. However, as for the floats, if that is a great concern for you, I'd suggest packing a cheap blow up one. We were in the Club level. I will say that was WAY worth it for these reasons: the service was amazing. We were tended to in anyway we needed. For ex, whatever we wanted in our minibar was our choice, we asked for an extra Snickers bar, they brought us an entire bag of Snickers. Room Service: you have an addtl menu to choose from along with a quicker service time. Liquor: Top Shelf. Private Beach: We really enjoyed that mainly because of the Top Shelf liquor used in the drinks NO water down drinks like the ones served in the pool. Also, with the private beach you're basically guaranteed a spot. There is a conceige to check you in and make your lounge up with towels for you. Yes, there is seaweed; but only a few steps into the ocean then it's clear. There is also a Club Pool, which we didn't use nor would I really want to ... the others are more fun. Plus, there are other quieter pools that are not Club only pools. The Lazy River: not really a lazy river... in the back of the resort and is a circle around the Spa with a very slow current. Spa... EXCELLENT! Even my husband enjoyed that... good deep tissue he said. I love the Swedish. But I would be wary of the Spa prices...great daily variances. It was obvious the employees loved their jobs as everyone was a joy. If you want to capture your vaca, hiring a resort photographer is well worth it! We had Lina who truly capture not only a great vacation but also our personalities! Overall, we enjoyed EPM so much we extended our stay while we were there! I am extremely picky when I look for spots & I will say what another reviewer said that got me to choose EPM: STOP LOOKING NOW & BOOK NOW!

Room Tip: Two Story Oceanfront Suites are SO worth it!! But if you want complete privacy, make sure to request...
2  Thank skibug8
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!