“Looking forward to going back in March!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
danakar
“Looking forward to going back in March!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to EPM in April of 2011 and all in all, found it a fantastic all adult, all inclusive resort. Food and drink are very important to us when traveling so when going all-inclusive, it's often a crap shoot. Minus our first morning experience with room service (we didn't know of the breakfast buffet and I had ordered the Eggs Benedict and it was grossly inedible) the food was really good! We had dinner at all restaurants except Basmati and Toscana and had good experiences, especially at Chez Isabelle where we ordered the tasting menu and it was delicious!! My favorite by far was the ceviche served at Lobster House - healthy and tasty - a GREAT lunch! Breakfast buffet was full of options and the coffee was delicious!

We were in building 6 which overlooked the spa/lazy river and 'Revive' bar. It was okay - obviously who wouldn't want a view of the sea when going on vacation but sometimes you can't get everything, right? :-)

We spent most of our time around the back lazy river - the front pool was often too loud/too much going on, so it was nice to have the option in the back that was very relaxing. We tried to lay out a couple of times at the beach but it was quite windy. So we'd spend the day at the pool and then an hour or two in the late afternoon on the beach so we could have our toes in the sand!

I've heard the "Excellence Club" isn't 'worth' it and we didn't choose it last time or this - but it sounds like you get some key perks. If you have the extra money, I'd spend it for the experience to be super pampered!

When trying to decide where to go on this vacation (and it's my 40th birthday!!) I spent a ton more time researching spots and you just can't beat this resort especially if you're able to get direct flights in/out of Cancun. In 4 hours, we'll leave cold New England and be in the sun! Can't beat it!

See you soon, EPM!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank danakar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,044)
  • Korean first
pleasant ridge, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 1/30/12-2/03/12. When you arrive you have to go through three gates and a very long driveway before you get to the hotel entrance. Just from the lobby you can tell that the hotel is well appointed. Our room was in the first building and overlooked the spa and the lazy river. The room is incredible! Four poster king bed, couch, coffee table, flat screen tv, walk in shower with rain head and a balcony with bed and hot tub (the hot tub is half in the room and has windows that open completely to the balcony). Don't stay here with someone if you are not COMPLETELY comfortable with them! The shower has a window into the room and the toilet is divided just by a partially frosted glass door so privacy is nonexistent. For us this was not a problem but definitely something that some people may want to consider. We mainly sat by the main pool with the swim up bar (chairs are taken by 7 am so be up early if you want a seat by that pool!) and it was absolutely great down to the poolside service and the bars surrounding it. The beach down below has soft white sand and plenty of lounge chairs.
Most evenings we spent in the Kafecafe bar in the central courtyard and always had the best bartenders there. No complaints at all about the service, every staff member we met was very nice and accommodating. We had the holistic couples massage (every day there was a different spa promotion with special deals) with an hour of hydrotherapy before. I also had a massage seperately. The spa facilities are lovely and the again, the staff was extremely nice.
The only complaint, which is a big one for us, was the food. There are 9 restaurants to choose from and we ate at Toscana (italian dinner and the breakfast and lunch buffets), Agave (Mexican), The Grill (lunch), Lobster House (Dinner/Lobster only) and Barcelona (mediterannean). We had Toscana every day for breakfast because the other restaurant that serves breakfast doesn't open until 9 am. One plus is that they had a ton of fresh juices to choose from and even gluten free muffins but even though we were there at 7 when they opened the food on the buffet was cold. So, even though it was the best meal every day, it wasn't even warm. Every other meal was just average at best. Not offensive but definitely not memorable. The small portions are fine because you can obviously order more if you would like but sometimes they were just ridiculous (salads with just one piece of lettuce. Lobster served with a half of a fingerling potato, one carrot and one broccoli floret, for example). All in all, the trip was great for relaxing but not what you would want if you were looking for a party or a gourmet food experience. If you are looking for a beautiful place to relax and food is not a high priority for you this would be a lovely choice,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank jmclundy
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

My friend and I just returned from EPM. We stayed Jan 27th to Feb 3rd. I had been to EPM back in the fall of 2008 and previously at Excellence Punta Cana, and I must say that the Excellence Resorts is one of the best chains around. Having stayed at Sandals, Iberostar and Sol Melia, I think the Excellence group continues to take client feedback very seriously and tries where they can for continual improvement. Kudos to them!

Property/Rooms:
The resort property itself at EPM is very well maintained. It's now about 5 years old and still looks relatively "fresh" and "new".

Rooms are clean and spacious, but as others have pointed out, the bathrooms are not private. While the shower and bathroom doors are frosted, there is no door to the main bathroom area. So be prepared. The daybed loungers on the room balcony/patio are the best and are a great touch!

Decor in the restaurants (particularly the French and Asian) are very well done and has a 5-star restaurant feel.

Note - if you stay in buildings 1, 2 and 3 (as we did this time), it can get a bit noisy in the morning/night since it's right by the parking lot and main driveway up to the main lobby area. Last time we were in 7b and it was very quiet.

This resort is not located on the main Cancun strip and is geared to those who mainly want R&R due to its more isolated location. However, there are plenty of excursions off the property (ie: shopping, Chichen Itza, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, etc.) for those who want to explore Mexico.

Safety:
Given all the safety issues in Mexico that have been circulating through the news lately, particularly for Canadian tourists, I felt very safe at EPM. There were never any reasons to feel threatened at all. Plus it's comforting knowing that one must pass through 3 security gates to get to the resort.

Food:
Good food with lots of variety. It's nice to have so many a la carte restaurant choices and not have to make reservations or wear ridiculous wrist bands. If you enjoy the same a la carte restaurant, you can go every night for your entire stay.

We did note a few times where some of the food that should have been served hot, were presented to us either warm or room temperature. It was mainly some of the appetizers. I suspect it has already been prepared and sitting around for quick service rather than being made at the time of order.

The beach food cabana was a good addition if you didn't want to trek to the lunch buffet at Tosca or waste sun tanning time at the sit down service restaurants at The Grill/Lobster House. We noted some people were able to order specific food at the beach without being part of the upgraded Excellence Club.

Pool/Beach:
The main pool is definitely noisier than other spots as commented by others. If you like the party atmosphere, hang out there or for a quieter area, go to the lazy pool by the spa (although not much sunlight there) or near building 7b (for non-Excellence club members).

The beach may not be as nice as some other Carribean destinations, but EPM does a good job of regularly clearing the sea weed. Keep in mind, it can get a bit noisy as the tractor will go by several times a day if the tides are strong and the weeds continually wash up.

The palapas do go quickly so one must get there fairly early in the morning. While we were there, most of the palapas were gone by about 8:30 am. However,even though we stayed when the resort was more or less at full capacity, there were still plenty of empty loungers in the sun for those getting to the beach late morning.

Service:
Concierge - Excellent service! Several times I made calls to the concierge with different requests and they were always pleasant, addressed me by name and followed up to ensure that my concerns were taken care of to my satisfaction. Their response time was amazing! Initially I was skeptical and that my requests would fall on deaf ears, but not at EPM. They were fantastic!

Restaurants - Servers were always pleasant and introduced themselves by name, so you knew who your server was. At some other resorts, you're often helped by so many people, that you don't know who to thank and it can be annoying when they are constantly asking if you need anything or if everything is ok. It can also be the other extreme, when you get no service at all, and servers actually pretend not to see you when you try to get their attention. In my opinion, EPM has trained their servers very well to be attentive but not intrusive. We never had to wait long for anything, be it drinks or food.

Other Staff - Very friendly. Everyone says "hola" when you pass by them!

Spa:
Zen inspired and beautifully decorated. Very relaxing atmosphere. Especially when you are getting a massage/body treatment, the staff speak very gently to you to keep the zen-like, peaceful environment as a spa should be.

Gym/Walking/Jogging Trail:
I'm not a huge gym person, but there were plenty of equipment and weights around for all to use. There was also a nice separate room for yoga or if you wanted to do your stretching in private. Plenty of towels, bottled water and flavoured water (which was a nice touch).

The walking/jogging trail follows part of the golf course and is completely paved. Very nicely landscaped along the way and takes about an hour (return trip) at a quick 4 mph walk. We didn't go on the shorter trail, but were told it only takes about 10 minutes. The walking/jogging trail is the way to go if you prefer being outdoors over a gym.

Overall:
This second visit to EPM was even better than what I remembered the first time. Not only would I go again I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a luxurious, safe, quiet, off the beaten track resort!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank GeeGirl
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband and I were guests of the EPM in early January. We are seasoned travelers to mexico, the caribbean and europe. Our one week stay at EPM was delightful and stress free. The resort was beautiful & well kept. The rooms are very clean & well appointed (bed is a little hard but oh well). We requested a quiet room with a nice view & were pleasantly surprised at how much effort the staff went to make sure that is exactly what we got. The grounds and pools are very nice (lazy river and all). The restaurants were all delicious, there was enough variety & no wait to please everyone. I cannot say enough about the staff, they are hands down the very best we have experienced in Mexico. They went out of their way to please you and nothing you asked for was too much effort. They walked around with a smile and jumped at every opportunity to make the guests happy. We opted for the club excellence option and were very impressed by the offerings of the lounge (especially the specialty coffees) and the extras we were afforded. Having said that though, this resort & it's policy on how guests should be treated is what makes this a jewel. The club option was nice, but every guest is treated exceptionally at this remarkable resort. The beach is remote, quiet and there are no vendors to wake you from a snooze. We would definately be coming back to this remarkable resort!

Room Tip: Buildings 9 & 8 are the quietest.
2 Thank msmarkos
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We were at the excellent hotel (16/1/12 - 30/1/12) and had a great time.
The guest rooms are large and spotlessly clean, we were allocated room 7320 which had a sea view and was very quiet.
The beach was very nice with little sea grass,however, while we were there it was quite windy most days.
As has been said many times about this hotel the staff are its greatest asset,so many thanks to all of them.
The only slight disappointment was the inconsistency of the restaurants in the evening. Spice was superb,however, Basmati was appalling. The breakfast and lunch at Toscana were excellent.
Overall a great hotel and hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: rooms in block 7 are excellent
3 Thank ayr19
Hove, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed at EPM for two weeks at the end of January 2012 and leave on February 5 (tomorrow!)

I've read lots of reviews about EPM on TripAdvisor and I agree, this is a very up-market hotel with a good All Inclusive offer. It isn't, in my opinion, the best in Cancun though, especially when you consider EPM's hefty price tag.

We've been to Cancun a number of occasions and stayed at different hotels each time. EPM is certainly up there towards to the top of the list; but if you are looking for an absolute luxurious, service-orientated holiday, then I would choose Le BLanc Hotel & Spa.

EPM has tried, in my view, to measure up against Le Blanc and has come a little short in a few distinct areas. But before I detail those, let me start by giving a flavour of why this is a very good hotel to stay at.

We stayed in a Club Excellence Junior Suite with Roof Top Terrace (it was a special holiday, so we decided to go the whole hog and get a top room) ... and we weren't disappointed. We were in Block 9 (which overlooks the Caribbean) on the fourth floor (9457). We overlooked the wedding Gazebo, for those who are marrying here and want a permanent reminder during their stay of the wedding venue, I would strongly recommend asking for a room in Block 9. We also overlooked a few other apartments and roof terraces, but that was ok as they kind of blocked the view to the main swimming pool.

- The bedroom area was nicely spaced (a quasi four poster bed with double mattress, lots of pillows, chest of drawers, marble floor with nice carpets). Bed was extremely comfortable.
- The bathroom area was also a nice size (two basins, large shower wetroom with rain shower and conventional handheld shower head, toilet behind a partially-open glass window) and had nice Bulgari toiletaries (lots of them).
- A large closet provided sanctuary for the two suitcases we'd brought, plus all our clothes and valuables in the safe.
- The mini-bar isn't exactally mini. It is in fact very ample. As we were in a Club room, we got to chose whatever spirits we wanted for the duration of our stay - large litre bottles of premium brands are kept supplied, together with beers, soft drinks, orange juice, water, M&Ms, Snickers, peanuts and Orios!
- The living area was well presented with a multi-region DVD player linked to a nice 50in Plasma TV. There's an iPod speaker system too. The 'L' shaped sofa looks better than it felt to sit on (leather, hard and quite uncoformatable!) but the ample amount of pillows made it more bearable.
- There's a jucuzzi just off the living area (this is standard in all rooms); it has windows you can open out to the balcony area and is large enough for two people.
- The balcony is a good size, with a large (extremely comfortable) double bed lounger, table and chairs.
- The upstairs roof terrace is cool - with an outdoor (cold water) jucuzzi and two large double loungers with loads of pillows.
- Concierge is also provided in Club Excellence and we can honestly say that Guillermo is excellent - a real asset to the hotel. He was cheerful, pleasant and always went out of his way to assist us. More on the concierge offer below ...
- Food is excellent - sufficient choices to cater for vegetarians, meat and fish eaters alike. There are Mexican, Italian, French, Indian, Chinese/Thai, American Grill & Lobster, Tapas restaurants, our favourites being Mexican, Chinese/Thai and Indian.
- But you also have all inclusive room service - which is generally very good. Food is of a high quality, service is typically a little slow (up to 45 mins) even for those items advertised as being ready within 10 minutes on the Club Express menu. But the room service staff are really friendly and lay everything out on your table with elegance and care.
- The grounds are exceptional and are well looked after.
- Lots of swimming pools - two for Club members though both are cold water; about three of four others, some a very quiet. So something for everyone. And lots of communal outdoor warm jacuzzis dotted about the communal pools, together with lounging beds and hammocks above the pool water.
- A good amount of entertainments on offer, including a well equipped gym. The spa was nice too with daily doscounted offers (don't bother booking ahead via the hotel's website to take advantage of 15% discount - on most spa treatments there are 25-30% discounts available each day with lots of availability). There are also all inclusive water sports and of course the beach!

So ... after saying all that, what could I possibly have to say that knocks this down a peg or two from the excellent grade. Well my gripes are few in number and may be viewed by others as picky. But when you've paid as much as we have and you have based that buying decision on other places you've visited, you can't fail to draw comparisons. And that's what I have done ... so

1. Concierge: as I said above, Guillermo was faultless and an absolute credit (and highlight) of our holiday. But we felt he was trying to service too many apartments to be credibly effective as, what is in effect, a butler concept. Le Blanc Hotel & Spa has a butler on every level of every part of the hotel where there is accommodation. It is clear EPM set out to offer the same (there is a concierge office on every floor - but all but the ground floor offices are empty), which suggests to me that this is an area where the hotel has tried to cut corners. Quite odd considering we're staying on Club Excellence terms and you'd typically expect premium service.
2. Club Lounge: whenever we have stayed Club standard, we have also been in quite close proximity to Club facilities. We were therefore quite surprised to find the Club Lounge across the otherside of the hotel's main complex (we were in block 9; the lounge is on the ground floor of block 8). There was typically only one person serving behind the bar, which inevitably meant service as busy times could be quite slow - but there were always three to four concierge staff sitting behind fixed desks. It wasn't obvious what they were doing and seldom did they appear to help out the poor bar staff!
Also - the food offering was a little disappointing in the club lounge - the hotel describes these as "smart buffets" which I guess is code for canapes. It's the first time I've been to a hotel where you couldn't actually eat a meal in the Club Lounge - no breakfast, no lunch, no dinner. Odd.
3. Restaurants - some people will probably like the idea that you don't have to book to eat a meal at any of those restaurants open on any given day (some close and you only get notification which will be closed the evening before). But we found it a little odd that you couldn't book a table for the time you wanted it. It meant on busier evenings that you had to take a buzzer to the bar and wait to be called when your table was ready, which was an acceptable compromise I suppose (even though one night, after waiting over an hour, we realised that our buzzer was broken!!).
4. Room service - isn't fast. Even when the hotel advertises menu choices designed to be with you within 10 minutes of calling. Be preapred for a wait when the hotel is 60%+ occupied.

Small points these maybe, but they slightly tarnsih what would otherwise be an Excellent rating for an Excellence hotel!

** Other staff who we want to specifcally mention will be posted on here shortly ... as will some of our generic pictures **

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank h0vetraveller
Kyle, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed at EPM Jan 22 to 26. We are Palace VIP members and were wanting to have a bit of variety. We went from EPM to Moon Plaace the following week. We just returned last evening.
EPM was very very nice. Our room was the standard room but had a nice ocean view off the side of the 7000 building, room 7321 which means the 4th floor. The lazy river was nice and deserted most days so very relaxing. The food was our reason for choosing EPM with it's 9 restaurants. We liked the food at the French restaurant and the lunch atmosphere at The Grill/Lobster House over the pool. Flavor Market kind of confused us. Munchies on steroids! Others gave rave reviews on the Japanese restaurant. The food in general was very good. Service was excellenent everywhere. The front desk to the maids, to the grounds folks, to the wait staff. The beach was great for us as we like long walks which you can do there for miles. We seldom inter the water so the small amount of seaweed was of no concern. They were picking it up when we were there so not much there at all. We enjoyed the bike ride off property. If I were to point out one thing I would say they a slightly "formal". We didn't get the warm fuzzy feel we get at Palace. We have been to Palace 7 times and love all the places we have gone in the Palace system but Excellence comes very close to the same value. Some things slightly better and some things slightly less than Palace.
I would not hesitate to recommend EPM to anyone.

Room Tip: upper 7X20-26 rooms are looking out the back side away from any noise and directly to the water.
1 Thank jbrecher
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,239 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!