“I recommend this place to everyone its perfect!!!”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Brandon, Florida
“I recommend this place to everyone its perfect!!!”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband & I went to the Playa Mujeres for New Years week. Everything here was magnificent.
We were completely blown away by how incredible the entire experience was. The rooms are gorgeous - a balcony with a full-size bed on it, big room with own in-room Jacuzzis by the balcony.
The service (the cleaning stuff, the pool service, the waiters) was friendly and outstanding. Elena host from Toscana restaurant was the darling girl with a beautiful smile.
The food was absolutely fantastic, little small portion in the restaurant but unbelievable tasty, beautiful presentation, big selection. Everything was very fresh and tasty. Only, the waiting time for food in the restaurants à la carte was much too long (about 30 minutes between appetizer and entre). The breakfast and lunch buffet was amazing; you can eat there almost anything you dream of. They have ice cream machine next to the Cafe Kafe so you can eat ice cream whole day.
The pool was gorgeous and there were plenty of different areas around, Jacuzzi, lazy river, plenty lunch chairs and towels.
The beach was great, large, and clean with very good service. Plenty chairs, towels, books, beach grill. Nice and quiet. The beach long so you can walk for miles.
The best thing for me was the music in the resort. Music was a discreet, quiet, does not interfere in the talks, in relaxation.
The service was the absolute best I've ever experienced (better than Sandals). Everyone who works there seems genuinely happy to be there, can't do enough to make your stay better, and all go above and beyond expectations to make your stay enjoyable.
The night show in the beautifully theater are amazing, don't miss them.
The New Year’s Eve party was very good. Start with cocktail hours, follow by sit down dinner (for everyone), after the dinner was party in the theater with live music and plenty champagne and New Year’s Eve gadgets. If you do not want to go for party you have room service. All restaurant are close this evening.
Do not expect Wi-Fi there. They have computers in business center but connection in other places.
But this is vacation who cares.
I recommend this place to everyone its perfect!!!

4 Thank KrysiaK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,142)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Everything here was magnificent. The food was terrific and the service was friendly and outstanding. No tips are expected. The rooms are clean, well maintained and the property is under constant care that shows everywhere. The beach is clean and the restaurant service and selection is terrific.
Do not expect wifi. They claim to have it and promise to fix it "right away," but don't believe them. They simply do not have adequate bandwidth for the number of users and everyone there was complaining. The management tried to placate with false promises to fix it right away but the fix (admitted the tech sent to my room) is not possible without more cable, more routers and more service. If it is important to you, this place, otherwise perfect, is not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sun exposure if you have a swimout suite.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank aginglawyer
NYC
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I recently went to the Playa Mujeres with my mother for a week of relaxation and good food. I was a bit hesistant about an all-inclusive because I've heard mixed opinions about the quality of food, service, amenities, etc. I was completely blown away by how incredible the entire experience was. The rooms are new and gorgeous - most people have a balcony with a full-size bed on it, and most have their own in-room jacuzzis. The whole room is well-appointed and there are open spaces, cubbies, and large areas to put anything you bring (I'm an unrepentant over-packer). The pool was gorgeous and there were plenty of different areas around it depending on whether you wanted it to be entirely quiet or a bit more of a party. The beach was great as well and was large and well-organized and cleaned. The service was the absolute BEST I've ever experienced. Everyone who works there seems genuinely happy to be there, can't do enough to make your stay better, and all go above and beyond expectations to make your trip enjoyable. My mother and I were lucky enough to meet and get to know Mariana, a client services manager, and Ernesto Palapa, the Executive Chef. Both were beyond lovely and went out of their way to see that we were happy and enjoying ourselves. Chef Palapa asked where we'd be eating each night and sent us a special dish to enjoy and even let us pick our favorite dishes from all the menus on our last night. The food, which I didn't expect much from (cruise ship cooking always strikes me as generic; I'm from New York City and I guess something of a food snob), was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. All of the restaurants are great: the service, presentation, and quality of ingredients are all top-notch. Overall I left with definite plans to come back and I recommend it to everyone I know. It's perfect for a wedding party, honeymoon, an anniversary, or a mother-daughter trip. It manages to be appropriate and comfortable for all ages (adults-only) and events / purposes. I highly recommend. You can go on day trips to see tourist attractions, scuba dive or snorkel, take a tennis lesson or a bike ride, but even if you just sit on a beach / pool chair the entire time you'll leaving having loved every moment. Great place, great service, great drinks, great food. And don't miss the Michael Jackson impersonator!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room far from the pool. You'll walk further but you won't hear...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank nyc_to_everywhere
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I will not bother to review restaurants, bars, beach etc as IMO that is subjective.
We travelled Dec.27th-Jan.3rd & were booked to stay in Excellence Club 2-storey roof-top terrace Oceanfront room.
I had sent an email to the resort in advance with some room location requests and Nancy Lopez responded, stating the requests would be placed in our file.
The first room assigned to us was #8159 in bldg 8a. The room directly overlooked The Grill/Lobster House roof, which was not only unattractive, but the biggest caveat was their frying/grilling that overwhelmed the balcony and upper terrace.
We immediately requested another room and were told that because they were almost at full capacity (might I add that the bellboy told us later that they were at 60% capacity), that they only had 2 other rooms for us to try. We were shown #7451 & 7452 beside one another in bldg 7. Both rooms overlooked common areas of the property, Kafe Cafe, and if you squinted far, far off into the distance, beyond the lazy rivers, main pool & palm trees, you could see the ocean. These rooms were obviously "oceanview" and not "oceanfront", as we had booked an paid for. After it was insisted that any other options would only be available if we forwent the 2-storey terrace room, we reluctantly accepted #7451. With the Kafe Cafe bar being open until 1am, we listened to constant commotion & blenders while "relaxing" on our terrace.
Aside from this issue, we were shocked at the smell of the rooms (all 3 that we tried). We have travelled extensivley to the Caribbean islands every year and have never experienced the mustiness & mildew that we did here. This was to the extent that when we arrived home, we put all of our clothing to be laundered in a guest bedroom, with the window open and door shut, so as the smell did not permeate our home. I had thought this resort was new, but am now assuming it was a renovation of an old property. I can only hope there are plans in the near future to have the levels of mould spores tested to prevent guests from illness.
All in all, we would not recommend this resort and with the range of people that we can reach out to with the powers of the internet & social media, we will advise as many others as possible.
Simply put, this was not only a waste of $8400, but moreso a waste of 1 weeks vacation, which is invaluable. Shame on Excellence Playa Mujeres.

12 Thank Luv2Travel5551970
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the week before Christmas for our anniversary.

ROOM
We booked a rooftop terrace with a spa/pool view and were put in building 7, (room 7401). I highly recommend this type of room. My hubby and I wanted to go on vaca to get away from work and people and with this type of room, you literally never have to leave. There are two huge comfy beds and your own little heated pool. With the 24 hour room service you could literally never leave your room!! We spent most of our time on the rooftop, including at night when you get beautiful views of the stars while lounging in the pool! We did have some heating issues with the pool, but the staff was attentive and corrected the issue. The room itself was gorgeous, with a huge 2 person rain shower, relatively comfy bed, sofa, and flat screen TV. We didn't get the Excellence Club upgrade but didn't feel like we were treated any differently.

Tip 1 - I emailed the resort early and asked them to be placed in this building. While it mainly faces the spa pool, when you are on the terrace you still have an ocean view!

RESTAURANTS
Overall, we were VERY impressed with the food here. It doesn't feel like an all inclusive because you are dining at beautiful restaurants.
TIP 2- We dined at:
- Basmati (execellent!),
- Flavor (skip it - not good at all),
- Barcelona (amazing!),
- Toscana for breakfast everyday (very good),
- Agave (good food but HORRIBLE service - we waited 30 minutes to place our order and we had to get someone to come over)
- The Lobster House (great for lunch and for dinner - the lobster was yummy!), and
- Chez Isabelle (excellent - most romantic).
-Room service was relatively quick - usually 30 minutes to deliver- but the food wasn't all that great. Restaurants are much better! The minibar was also restocked with drinks and goodies everyday.
- Drinks made with top shelf liquor. Very very good - try the Kaiporoska-yummy!!

GROUNDS
The grounds and pools are meticulously maintained and gorgeous. The layout also makes it seem like there are barely any people there. The resort was 80% full but never felt crowded. Beach chairs were easy to come by and staff was always coming around to get you drinks. They also serve lunch on the beach everyday - the food is decent.

TIP 3 - I will say that if you are a real ocean lover where you want to spend most of your time in the ocean, this is not the place for you. There is tons of seaweed floating around, and everyday we were there, there was a red flag due to strong currents - meaning we couldn't swim. I don't love going in the ocean anyway so it was fine for me. I enjoyed looking at the blue water and walking along it! My hubby kayaked and sailed which he enjoyed. It is "free" but you are expected to tip the staff as they do not work for the resort. My hubby gave them 20 US dollars!

SPA

We did the couples vitality package which was a 50 minute massage and 50 minute facial. The massage was amazing but the facial was just so-so. The building is gorgeous and relaxing with attentive staff. There is also a 1 hour hydrotherapy session is included. Our one issue was that because we booked our appointment at the spa 30 minutes before it started, we missed the hydrotherapy circuit. No one told us this...we realized it when we booked another spa treatment on a different day. We would have made a later appointment to ensure we got the full circuit.

TIP 4- it seemed that everyday they had a special deal for the spa. We did our package on a Sunday and received 30% off.
Make sure when you book that are able to get the full hour hydrotherapy circuit. Don't book your appointment unless you have 1 full hour before the actual appointment starts.

CHICHEN ITZA TOUR
We booked a trip to see Chichen Itza through Best Day travel which is located in the bottom floor of the lobby. I will review the trip separate review, but will say here it is a must see! It takes about 3 hours to get there on a bus but it's worth it.

TIPPING
The staff at this resort go above and beyond to make your stay spectacular. From the moment you walk in you are treated like royalty.

The one thing that was a little annoying that I haven't found at other resorts is the tipping. I was a little unclear on their policy but we saw others doing it so we did as well.

TIP 5 - Typically we tipped 20 pesos - a little over 1 USD. Other inclusive resorts have a strict policy on not tipping but this resort does not.

ENTERTAINMENT
Most of the entertainment was cheesy with the exception of Gustavo de la Cruz. He was a fantastic one-man acoustic guitar player/singer. Fantasic voice and playing. The Michael Jackson show was also decent. Get there early though - seats go fast!

DRESS CODE

People got quite dressed up at night for dinner and entertainment. Men in dress shirts and khakis or dress pants; women in dresses and heels.

OVERALL SERVICE

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank sian421
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Okay, so I should start by saying that we're not big fans of traditional all-inclusive resorts; our past experiences with them have been like cheap cruise ships on land. This stay at Excellence Play Mujeres, however, changed all that. In fact, we're already talking about when we might go back!

The highlights...
- First class customer service, ala Disney; everyone was happy, pleasant, and incredibly attentive to our needs
- Restaurants that actually felt like restaurants (not just plated buffet meals) and offered a great variety
- An incredible room with an outdoor hydro-therapy pool, three outside day beds, an internal whirlpool, huge shower and more
- Room service 24 hours - you want it, you get it
- Poolside service that was omni-present, proactice and very pleasant
- Landscaping and house-keeping were amazing, near-constant attention to detail
- Adult-only, so true peace and quiet at many of their pools
- Plenty of lounge chairs, sun beds and tons of palapas to help you get out of the sun

There were only two short-comings: a lot of sea grass on the beach and drinks that didn't carry the kick that they should have...can't prove that they watered them down at all, but...

So, all in all, a great stay. We'd definitely go back and definitely recommend them to others!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to the rooms with the outdoor hydro-pools...and ask for the units where they're a...
7 Thank PhillyBoyz
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Myself and my wife stayed here for our honeymoon 2nd November - 9th November.

From the moment we arrived we knew this was going to be what we hoped for!

We were greeted with hot towels and a glass of champagne and a "welcome home" from the staff. After checking in (which took all of 10mins) our bell boy, Daniel, gave us a little tour on the way to our room, which was very handy.

I'll basically list a few bullet points for you all.....

* Rooms - Stunning! Spotlessly clean, very modern, everything you want and need. As it was our honeymoon we received to a welcome of a bottle of champagne and towels styled like swans with rose petals. the room consists of - mini bar stocked with beer and soft drinks as well as sweets, the 'L' shaped sofa is very comfy, big TV, iron & iron board, walk in wardrobe with safe, large shower (the best shower ever) his and hers sinks, large day bed on the balcony and the best bit a Jacuzzi!

*Food - With 9 restaurants to round in 5 days we worked out a little timetable so we could visit all of them as some of them are shut on certain days (but that’s only because they share the same building) but they provide you with a list everyday so you can plan your day/nights. We did visit everyone and all were excellently cooked and presented, sizes of the meals were just right, very filling. All restaurants are themed and the staff also dress to that theme which makes you feel like you’re not in a hotel.

*Drink - Whatever you want just ask, they have everything and if your cocktail is not on the list (which I doubt) then tell the bar staff and they will make it for you. Kafe Cafe at night time is the place to be, the staff are brilliant! Martini bar is also a place to be at night time but is inside so a bit quieter (Abi & Jorge will make you smile and give excellent service). There are many bars dotted around the place and are all for mainly the day use. When lying by the pool during the day bar staff will come and offer you drinks (I hardly moved) which made you feel more relaxed. * Find a bar waiter called Luis he is excellent!!!!

*General Hotel – The grounds are immaculate, not a blade of grass out of place. The building, inside nearly everything is marble, so clean, not a speck of dust insight. Outside, again clean, fresh looking..... Overall absolutely spotless everywhere.

*Pools – There are many pools, some are tucked away which are for excellent club members only but the lazy river almost goes round the whole place so you can see the sights. The main pool can be loud as most of the daytime activities are carried out using it plus the small pool next to it is used for water polo. We found that if you were next to the Grill restaurant it blocked out most of the noise even though we was 10 yards away from the main pool. If the noise is too much then you can still get lots of sun by the Spa which is very quite. * Pools are cold though but the Jacuzzi’s around the pools are a bit warmer.

* Staff – All staff are brilliant and so hard working; they go out of their way for you and make you smile all the time. Look for Luis around the pools for drinks, he is excellent. Abi & Jorge in the Martini bar provide brilliant service and are very funny. The bar tender at Kafe Cafe is so funny and very good at his job (can’t remember his name but you will know who it is, he is there every night). Alfonso at reception is very polite and helpful, speaks perfect English. Nancy at the concierge desk is a brilliant help and so caring, she helped me arrange a private dinner on the beach as a surprise to my wife months in advance via email. There are too many names to mention but this is why they are hard to forget because they are so friendly and caring that they will be remembered forever!!

* Tipping – We was a bit unsure when/how much to tip but here is a rough guide.....
Every other drink either by the pool during the day or at night we gave 20peso
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner we tipped 40peso
Maids we gave 50 peso
Basically if you feel the staff deserve it then give whatever you feel but it won’t take you long to realise that they work extremely hard and do deserve it.

Our honeymoon was fantastic, out of this world and we are so glad we chose to come to EPM as I don’t think we would have had a better time anywhere else. This place made us feel like we shouldn’t be there as if only millionaires or famous people had the right to go, it just took our breath away from the moment we arrived.

The staff make you feel special regardless how much money you have, they are always smiling, saying good morning or good evening. Their own attention to details is second to none and they have such high standards within their own role.

We will be returning on our 5 year anniversary for definite, we are not interested in going anywhere else!!!

This place is what it says in the title.....Excellence!!!!

Room Tip: Building 6
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!