Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
$326
Finest Resorts
Beloved Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
$432
$30
$37
  • Pool
4,640 results
All reviewsbite barone bedroom suitevilla groupcar ferrytime sharefast ferryzama restaurantall inclusive packagemurphy bedall inclusive planferry to isla mujeresfull kitchenwasher dryerper devicetimeshare presentationsushihammock on the balcony
Reviewed August 16, 2017

To give you a bit of context...

My wife and are are in our mid-30's. We have an 8 month old baby. We booked this hotel because we wanted to get away from the Cancun party scene, and just wanted to have a relaxing family vacation. We decided to rent a car so that we would have flexibility. We booked a garden room. Stayed 9 days.

The good: definitely the staff was great everywhere, especially at the restaurants and the pool. They were so friendly and helpful, we wanted to give them more tips. Our daily breakfast waiter was Ivan, ask for him if you can. He makes you feel at home, and he happens to have a baby like ours. We had a tough time saying good-bye to him, really. The level of service was great. Our room was very clean and nice. There was a bit of a bad smell in the bathroom, but we think it was because of bad smells coming from the water ducts and construction site, hopefully that will go away soon. We simply covered the water drains in the bathroom and that seemed to eliminate the smell. It was an inconvenience and it wouldn't deter me from staying there again. Our room was lovely, even though it was one of the cheapest available. The pools were great, we enjoyed the beach too. The beach was a little dirty but they were working to clean it. The restaurants overall were very tasty. We got the breakfast included but no other meals. The breakfast buffet was delicious. However, just be aware that food at the hotel is expensive, and since you're far from the city, you don't have options. If you don't get the all inclusive, prepare to pay 500 MXN per person per meal easily, that's about $30 today. We found a nice restaurant within 5 min driving distance called Flamingo's, and the food was about 300 MXN per person, but you can't really walk to Flamingo's, we had to drive.

The prices of food and SPA were high by our standards. They also charged us for internet $60/week, and for taking drinks from the fridge in the room. So just be aware that you are going to be charged for almost everything. Ask before assuming it's included in the room price.

Now... for the not so good. First, we drove in with our rental car. The road to the hotel is lonely and dark at night. On our arrival day we were stopped by the police for "speeding". We were told that we had to pay a 3600 MXN ($200'ish) fine, and we had two options: we could pay on the spot, or we could go to the police station later and pay (but the policer officer would keep my driver's license). Following our instinct we told the police that we would pay at the police station, suddenly they changed their mind and decided to "cancel" the ticket. Clearly these police officers are trying to make money off of tourists, and we hope you don't fall on the trap. Once you get out of Cancun and start driving on the lonely road on your way to the hotel, do not speed so they don't have any reason to stop you, and if they do, don't give them money on the spot. Obviously, there is nothing the hotel can do to prevent corrupt police from spoiling your vacation, just be aware that you might run into this issue.

When we booked the hotel through Expedia, there was no mention of timeshare sales presentation. When we were checking in at the hotel, we were approached by one of the concierge ladies telling us that she would explain to us what would be available at the hotel. We thought this would be a virtual tour of the facilities available at the hotel. Once we sat down with her, she began to throw discounts at us on everything under the sun. Because we had just been through a very long journey, it didn't register on me at the time that she was setting us up (by giving us gifts) to attend the timeshare presentation - side note: read the book "Influence" by Cialdini and you'll understand why the offer you all the gifts/discounts. Towards the end of the talk, I told her I wasn't interested in attending the timeshare presentation, but she continued to push us to meet for a 90-minute presentation the next morning with a timeshare representative. After we went to our room, my wife and I decided that we were not going to use their "discounts" and we would not attend the timeshare presentation, we wanted our time to ourselves. We called our concierge the next morning and told her that we would not use any of her gifts/discounts and that we would not go to the presentation. She called our room 3 times trying to convince my wife and I separately to go the presentation. We told her in the friendliest possible terms that we did not want to go. She tried to made us feel guilty by telling us that she would get in trouble if we didn't go because she had already given us the discounts. I finally on the third phone call I lost it and told the concierge manager that if they didn't stop harassing us I would have to take more drastic action. They backed off but it was not a pleasant experience. What really made us mad was that they took advantage of us at a time that we were tired (just arriving) and told us that they were going to tell us about the hotel when in reality they were trying to hook us to attend the timeshare presentation. It's very uncomfortable, we felt that they lied to us and we didn't appreciate it.

So, we have mixed feelings about the hotel. People like Ivan made it worth our stay, they are hard-working Mexicans trying to make an honest living by serving the tourists very well, but I don't know if I would want to go through the timeshare presentation stress situation again. I didn't pay a hotel room to attend a presentation, I paid for a hotel room to rest and have a stress-free vacation.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
7  Thank aeroed
Juan G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2017

Dear aeroed
On behalf of all of us at Villa del Palmar Cancún Resort & Spa, we want to thank you for the wonderful comments you posted. We are honored and thrilled that we were able to contribute to your well-being and enjoyment of your well-earned vacation.

Your kind words inspire and energize us to strive for better every day. We truly appreciate your recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back to “su casa” Villa del Palmar Cancún Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2017

This resort is amazing!! Lovely modern rooms which I find is a rare treat in these areas. Fantastic restaurants, lovely staff.

Pools are amazing and so is the beach.

Was very happy with our stay. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple

Dear TheLuxeVagabond

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

It's great experience start straight from the main entrance
Greeting by the name and welcome juice and smoothie as you walk in, friendly front desk and easy check in process
We booked Junior suite one bed room for family of five it comes with nice size full kitchen and two bathrooms and jacuzzi in the master bedroom
Very beautiful restaurants, buffet, Italian, steak House, Mexican grill and sushi restaurant
The service is wonderful and the staff very friendly
Everything was great except the beach
The beach is very disappointing, too small and dirty.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank bashar a

Dear bashar a:

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

Ok first things first.....5/5 for the resort, staff, rooms, food, pools, customer service, value and price.

The resort is a decent size, buy easy to navigate and not a far walk to any area at the hotel.
Several choices for dining, all with good food.
Several pools and hot tubs, all clean and well kept.
Only complaint here is the infinity pool is not advertised as private, very disappointed to learn this. But nothing major.
Kids club, a bonus! Always have activities going on.
I did not use the spa here, typical prices for a resort spa (which is a lot lol) and the employees there wouldn't take no for an answer. Had to book an appt and cancel just to be left alone.

Concierge was incredibly helpful with booking excursions and never tried to up sell anything. Showed us less expensive ways to do the things we wanted to do off of the resort.
Room was always serviced, stocked and kept clean. Room service was always fast.

Ok.....to address the complaints by others....
Yes this resort is safe, just as safe as any others in the area. Our driver did get pulled over for speeding and was handing the police money to get out of his "speeding" ticket. He wasn't really speeding.
Time share.....my mother got sucked into this and based off of reviews I figured I wouldn't be seeing her the rest of the day lol. She was gone and hour and had discounts after for some of our excursions. Why people were stuck for the day? I don't know.
There is construction going on, it's right outside of my room. Honestly I can't hear it. Maybe with the TV off, and doors open. But I never paid any attention to it or was ever bothered.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family

Dear Monique M

Reviewed August 14, 2017

I would highly, highly recommend Villa del Palmar Cancun. Everything about the place is exceptional from the minute you get picked up at the airport. The driver was incredibly friendly and helpful, as soon as you get out of the van you are waited on with a cold wash cloth, check in is easy, the welcoming rep (Roberto) was great, our sales presentation rep (Shane) is unbelievable (we actually worked with him last time and requested him again- we stayed in touch with him via Facebook and he helped us plan for this trip), the bartender are great, friendly and accommodating (in particular, my amigo Miguel the bartender), the servers are great, the food is sooooo good, the butlers at the pool make everything so easy and comfortable (Ortikio was my favorite, however they were all great) and the maids did an unbelievable job keeping our room clean and our fridge stock (I believe ours was Maria de Jesus).

I would also like to give a special shout out to the activity crew- (Rodrigo, Luis and JJ (nickname, can't remember his first name). I have 2 son's and a daughter and these 3 single handily made this trip a special one for them 3. Every time they saw my kids, they went out of the way to go say hi and to tell them about what was going on that day. My 8 year old son actually cried on the last day because he was going to miss these guys. THANK YOU to you 3 for being so awesome!!!

Suggestions for travelers- bring $100 in $1 bills for tipping. Most of these workers, work for very cheap, so anytime you can give them $1 or $2 they really appreciate and will take care of you (not to mention, they deserve much more)

I would also recommend taking the ferry over to Island Mujeres- see the beach over there, walk around, rent a golf cart to explore the island, a bunch of stores to buy one of a kind things, get a very inexpensive massage on the beach.

I would also recommend negotiating to allow the opportunity to do more. Almost everything is negotiable.

Suggestions for the resort-

The beach on the resort is not very clean (seaweed, bad odor, not very clear)- however we still visited almost daily.

The Spa packages at the resort are rather expensive- we have learned to get our massages over at the Island.

The workout facility is very nice- I would love for their to be a sauna in the workout facility. You have to purchase a massage to use the sauna.

Hot tubs at the pool- this is going to sound crazy, but the hot tubs were not that hot. I always like taking a hot, hot tub, right before bedtime.

Overall though, I gave it a 5 star and will continue to give it a 5 star, as long as they stay up to these standards.

WE WILL BACK BACK 2019

Room Tip: All rooms are great and Ocean facing. I would recommend higher floors.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family