“Mostly good...”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Huntington Beach, California
“Mostly good...”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed 3 nights/4days all inclusive. 1st time I have done all inclusive. I liked the idea of all inclusive at 1st glance but found out soon the drawbacks. 1st was that the food was good but not great. I didn't enjoy 1 particular dish where I would order again because its was so good. The other thing having to tip each time was a real nuisance and figuring tips and totals was inconvenience.

The room was beautiful and it and the grounds were very clean and pleasant. The only problem is that the resort is very isolated from anything else. I noticed they offered a free shuttle to what I thought was downtown but it turned out to be only a small fleamarket. The return shuttle to the resort wasn't for 4 hrs. The flea market was a big disappointment and we took a taxi back on our own. It almost seemed that the fleamarket must have had some sort of financial arrangement with the resort to shuttle hotel guests there for the fleamarket's gain.

On the last day of our stay I woke up at 7am and noticed there was no running water in the room. I then called down to the front desk and told that was a problem with a water line. When I asked when it would be fixed the hotel rep said "I don't know". I informed the hotel rep that I was leaving in 3-4 hrs to the airport and wanted take a shower and go to the bathroom before leaving. I was then informed that there was no running water in the whole hotel and there was nothing they could do to help me.

As I checked out I noticed that the new arrivals weren't being informed of the water outage. I then read in another review here that it took 12 hrs for the water to be turned back on. What a health hazard nightmare not to mention a terrible inconvenience for the hotel guests

4 Thank carbo6carbo6
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2016
Dear carbo6carbo6,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,521)
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

this resort was excellent . Not sure why there are so many bad comments maybe because my wife and I are not high maintenance . Rooms were incredible . Food was great . We enjoyed the steak house the most. the only thing was the time share avoid it and it will be perfect. Staff so friendly and helpful ,do tip though it goes a long way. I would go back in a heart beat. It is quiet so if your a party animal not the place for you.Really felt I got my monies worth. Booked on line and everything was perfect.Grounds at the resort were impeccable , second to none. I would recommend this resort . It is a very nice place . We had a 1 bedroom suite and loved it!!!!!

Room Tip: get the 1 bedroom suite very roomy, awesome
Dear dwight l,

Philadelphia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This resort was beautiful and our family really enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was spacious and perfect with my husband and 5 year old son. The food in the restaurants was always delicious. We did the all inclusive which I think is the only way to go when you are at a resort like this. The breakfast buffet had a large selection-although we had to wait to get pancakes made but they were delicious. We had lunch every day by the pool and went to every restaurant except the sushi (which others raved about). The service was very good and the entertainment staff were so much fun. My son even got up to do Karaoke one night.
I only had a few small issues: (1) the location of the towels for the pool was far away from the kids pool and I didn't want to carry heavy wet towels to the other side of the resort. They asked for you to return the towels but I ended up not doing that and nothing happened. So I guess really no big deal. (2). the children's pool was really deep; there was a shallow play area and then the rest of the pool was over 3'. (3) the line to check out was long. They should have automatic checkout from the room tv.
Otherwise, overall I highly recommend this for a relaxing family vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jill914
Dear Jill914,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Upon arriving this place is gorgeous, the front desk person "Chantel" was amazing and gave us an upgrade with no problems. The rooms and grounds were impeccable, the staff was more than kind and always helpful. The restaurants had great food, the entertainment was good. The beach waiters we had were "AMAZING" Roberto and Benito I can't say enough about the wonderful service you two provided us each day on the beach. Each morning we ate at Zama and Jesus was awesome, took very good care of us. On our last day though we got up went to the beach just before 8 am we had heard from the staff and other patrons that the water was off and would be on shortly, so no worries, we would just hang out on the beach, well we hung out had lunch and about 7:30 went back to our room to get ready for our 8pm dinner reservation. Still no water, ok, so we used bottled water to clean up with, that night we had to pack and we were leaving early for our flight. So to be honest, when we checked out the night before, you need to clear up your bill and stuff before leaving so early, we were not offered anything for our inconvenience of having to travel back home to the east coast without being able to shower. Not that I expect anything for free of course, but no "sorry for the inconvenience" nothing! The water came on as we were leaving our room a little after 3am. Everything was great except that part. That is why the 4 stars and not 5.

2 Thank Grafxxchik
Dear Grafxxchik,

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I read a lot of reviews when I go on a vacation, so I know what to expect. But Villa Del Palmar was better than I expected. Not perfect, of course, but surprisingly great enough for me to give it 5 stars over 4. I will try and break down the pros and cons, and address some of the concerns I had prior to the trip compared to the actual situation as we saw it. I am reviewing this from the point of a married 30 something, traveling with 2 toddlers (19 month old twins), and also my parents (in their 60s). We have been to multiple all inclusives in the past, in mexico and around the caribbean. We were on the all inclusive plan without limitations.

ARRIVAL: Check in had no wait at the time we arrived, which was around 1pm. Drink on arrival. Bellhop was friendly. The check in person was warm and welcoming, but seemed to make a big deal that she was giving us our rooms right then even though check-in wasnt until 4pm. She must have said it about 5 times. We had two rooms that were close to each other but not adjacent, no big deal. We asked for two cribs in one of the rooms, and again no problem. After our check in she directed us to the concierge, who said "you must be so hungry for lunch, go eat and come back later." Nice.

ROOMS: We had two 1-bedroom oceanview suites on the third floor in the third block. They were just a couple of rooms apart from each other which was nice. The rooms were incredible. So big, new, well appointed. I can't say how great it was to have so much space when traveling with two little ones. It was easy to baby proof the place too. The only problem was they had fake apples on the table which immediately sent my son into a fit, he wanted to eat one so bad! Ha ha. But we hid them and I think the cleaners must have figured that out because they never put them back on the table. The bed was firm and comfortable. The hammock on the balcony was so relaxing. Our view was decent but I think would be much better higher up and farther from the lobby. Next time we will ask. I need to add that this was the best room I have ever had on a vacation, all inclusive or not. Better than the 5* places I have stayed. Room was also very, very quiet. I never heard the construction. One night there was a wedding and it was a bit busier in the evening, doors slamming, etc, but this was not the norm (and it wasnt very late).

POOLS: The pool area was never crowded. Chairs were plentiful and you didnt have to scout them out or reserve them all day. We always got up early and would be the only ones in the pool. Then we would go upstairs for nap and come down again when it was in full swing, and could always find good seats again. The children's pool was PERFECT for toddlers. Big enough to keep them entertained but small enough that you didnt lose anybody. And it was so warm, like a bath! One night we had a big rain and the next day it was noticably cooler, but still very warm. The water in the kid's pool was warmer than some hot tubs at other resorts. Perfect for my skinny babies. At other places we could only go in the pool a few minutes and they'd have blue lips. The towel station was a bit far from some areas. They should consider more than one. It was erratic in how you signed out towels. Sometimes they asked your room, sometimes they didn't.

BEACH: Really gorgeous. My kids didnt like the sand so we didnt spend too much time there, but when we were, it was super easy to get drinks delivered. Ocean was warm. Very mild amounts of seaweed. Ocean floor was a bit rocky in some places but I am sure that changes all the time. Again, plenty of chairs and shade.

FOOD: Villa del Palmar had, hands down, the best food of any all inclusive I have been too. Now, the reservation system needs some work, for sure. It is ridiculous. There just isnt enough room for everyone to eat. But we never had a problem. We always went to the lobby concierge to get our reservations. We like to eat early due to the little ones. We had dinner at every location. Hiroshi was the best. Get the cilantro sashimi. It was FANTASTIC. Every piece of sushi we had was perfect. It was so much better than expected. Our second favorite was Casona STK. I had the palmar salad (a tomato/mozz/basil), which was made with the best tomato I have every had. Then the tuna steak which was just barely seared, delicious. Davino's was mediocre but fine. I think I probably just didnt order the right dishes. Deserts at all the restaurants were great, but the apple tart at Casona was the best. We ordered room service many times. It was always fast. My babies took a mid-morning nap so I would order a pot of coffee and some fruit and pastries and relax and read on the balcony while they slept... just perfect!

TIMESHARE: My husband and I were never, not even once, asked to sit for a timeshare presentation. My parents went down to ask about a trip to the ruins, and somehow talked into going to one in order to get a cheap 1/2 day trip to Tulum. My Dad isnt that mobile, so as soon as my mom told me their plan I got very suspicious. When we went to Tulum a couple years ago there was a tremendous amount of walking, much more than my Dad would be able to do, but the concierge told them they would be fine. They also insisted the presentation was only going to be 90 min, ha ha ha. So I warned them what I knew. Anyway, they went down the next morning and my mom told them she was going to pilates on the beach at 9:30 (presentation at 8). Immediately the people backpeddled and said, no, no, you have to stay for the whole thing. So they just left. Instead of a two hour drive to Tulum, they (wisely) took a cab just up the road to a "zona archeologica" called El Meco. It was around 40 pesos to get in, hardly any walking, and they loved it.

WIFI: The wifi is expensive and bad. I still got it. Whatever, I was on vacation.

AMBIENCE: This is a quiet resort with a lot of families. But it wasnt wild with kids running around. It feels fairly upscale. There was a few groups on 20 somethings making too much noise here and there, but it wasnt a big issue.

TIPPING: Because at lunch and dinner you get a real bill, even though you are all inclusive, I did feel the need to tip like I would normally. After all, if I was paying that bill, the waiter would have been getting a full tip. For breakfast buffet and lunch by the pool I left $5-$7 dollars typically, depdning on how much of a mess we made. For dinner I usually brought $20-$25. I always tipped only in cash, because I had a feeling our servers may not actually get what you add if you just charge it to the room. But I dont know if that is true or not.

Overall, I will say that this place was great, and I would definitely consider a return trip. We never go the same place twice, but it was so family friendly! If they are building a buffet with the addition it would seal the deal. Then we could feed the kids easily and then go out for a nice dinner ourselves. Have fun on your trip, I am sure you wont regret it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank CaseyMD
Dear CaseyMD,

carrbald
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My mom (in her 60's), my sister and I (in our 30's) stayed from March 2-6 in a one bedroom, ocean view, all-inclusive suite. The room and property were as beautiful as the pictures made them seem, and most of the reviews I read beforehand were fairly accurate - although they tended to be more negative than our experience.

Check-in and check-out were smooth. We visited the concierge upon check-in to get a map, list of activities, etc. and weren't pressured to do a timeshare presentation at all (perhaps because we were traveling without our husbands).

Service was slower than in the States (as expected), but with that expectation in mind we were sometimes surprised by how quickly our food came! If you ever need anything (extra water bottles in the fridge, blankets for the Murphy bed, ashtray for the balcony), just ask. Our requests were always promptly fulfilled. One thing to note is that workers are in and out of your room a few times a day; from what I could tell, one person handles the sheets and towels, another handles the mini-bar, another cleans, another turns down your sheets and closes your shades, etc. It's kind of odd, but it wasn't terribly inconvenient since we weren't in our room much.

We didn't have any trouble finding chairs on the beach each day (around 10 am), but did have trouble finding shade by the pool one day (around 1 pm). However, a waiter went out of his way to flag down a maintenance man who brought an umbrella over to us shortly after!

It was sunny for the 5 days we were there so I can't say for sure, but it seems like this resort would be boring in the rain. Also, it was quite windy throughout the property and on our 8th floor balcony - not sure if it was just the time of year or if it's always like that. The breeze was welcomed though during the hot mid-day sun.

We got the all-inclusive so we ate and drank to our hearts content (keeping in mind we are somewhat small women). We totaled our receipts at the end of the trip and found we spent $60/person/day on food, $25/person/day on drinks, and $13/person/day on tips.

We stayed at the resort the whole time and never felt stuck or confined. I imagine if we would have stayed much longer though we would have wanted to plan an excursion or eat elsewhere. We had the breakfast buffet at Davino's most mornings, but went to the buffet at Zama one day. While the selection wasn't as large at Zama, it was certainly adequate and the beautiful outdoor setting was a fun change from Davino's.

Overall, this is a wonderful resort that I would gladly return to!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear carrbald,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Brought my 2 daughters with me on this trip and we all had a wonderful time! We took the all inclusive package which was worth it because the food was fabulous, comparable to the best restaurants in the big cities in North America and Europe. They had a an incredible Japanese restaurant called Hiroshi where the sushi and sashimi dishes were not only original but delicious. Their Mexican resto called Zama was in a fabulous building, beautiful architecture, in the middle of the resort. We ate most of our lunches there because the kids loved their fajitas and seafood dishes. It also had a beautiful view of the pools. Their Mediterranean resto called Davinos was also beautiful. We ate most of our breakfasts there as they had in incredible 7 food stations. Their steak restaurant called La Casona was also very delicious. You never have to leave the resort to eat out as they also had theme nights with different buffets such as seafood, international, Mexican and Cuban with fabulous entertainment every night hosted by their amazing staff Ruben and Mathias.

The rooms are beautifully appointed with marble floors and quality furniture. Ocean view rooms are breathtaking.

During the day they have various activities you can participate in such as Pilates and Yoga taught by their wonderful instructors, Victor and Pedro, which is done on an outside deck overlooking the beach. What a great way to start the day. They also had kayaking and paddle boating activities on the beach all day, Gustavo and Pedro were extremely helpful in setting us up. In the afternoon they had dance lessons such as Salsa and Meringue, Zumba and so many more taught by Ruben and Denise who are incredible dancers and entertainers. I have never been to a resort where the staff was so warm, helpful and very enthusiastic. I would definitely return to stay there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

#1 of 6 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!