“Beautiful Resort...wish we had better weather”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
El Dorado Hills, California
“Beautiful Resort...wish we had better weather”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The resort is beautiful, all restaurants very good and all the staff very friendly and accommodating. We loved our room on the 9th floor and had wonderful views of the resort and ocean. We also did the all-inclusive and thought it was a great value! We visited the Isle Mujeres and we hope to go back one day again when the weather is sunny. The resort is a good 20-30 minutes from town and other restaurants, so that was somewhat of a drawback, especially if you want to go in later in the evening when no shuttles are running. Could get expensive!
The only thing I would have changed about our trip was the week we went because of the weather. It rained for 6 days out of our 7 day vacation. I was told that January is typically one of the nicest times to visit. Our week it poured rain with no sun at all....that was a big bummer! The resort might want to offer some things to do when the weather is bad. Luckily we brought puzzles and games. We also spent ALOT of time in the hot tub.

1 Thank LandJ111
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2016

Dear LandJ111,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,483)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed January 18, 2014

It was a bad week everywhere as far as the weather was concerned.
The resort is beautiful but too far away from the city for our liking. Enjoyed the heated pool and the hot tubs. Would be nice if the market put prices on the food so you knew what things cost. Some things were extremely expensive we thought.
Food in the restaurants was great as was the service. One problem was when we were seated outside for our Greek dinner, insects of some sort bit our ankles really bad.
Also I felt that the man who talked to us at the members update was rather rude and not really interested in answering our questions because he had decided we wouldn't buy anyway.
In spite of all the rain and wind, we had a great time. Thanks to all the great staff !I

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Karen G

Dear Karen G,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Villa Del Palmar in Cancun. Last year despite a few minor issues at the hotel (it is Mexico after all) we really liked our stay. We felt confident to return to this hotel but it was NOT the same!!! When we travel we are prepared to pay more for a better holiday. But this (2nd) trip to VDP was a frustrating waste of money and time.

The food quality was poor compared to last year. Limited selections, and despite being 'all inclusive' this year there was between 1/4 to 1/3 of the menu items that you had to pay for an 'up grade'...and it was not always the better quality food that required payment. I'm not taking about lobster or stuff like that...in the Japaness restaurant we had to pay for dumplings!!! This was not the case LAST year!!!

Also, last year there was free Wifi in the lobby and in your room if you asked for it. This year there was no free wifi but if you wanted to pay for it the charge was $10USD per day PER DEVICE!!! This was particularly annoying to me because on the VDP web site they say wifi is free. I went to the front desk to try and speak with the manager about my concerns, the front desk 'supervisor' said all the right things, i.e., 'I am here to help you', but then said there was nothing he could do because of their 'rules'. I then asked to speak with the actual manager and they made me wait 1/2 hour for another 'supervisor'...not the manager. While I was waiting, another lady came up to complain about an issue and the same 'supervisor' who told me there was nothing he could do for me offered her free wifi! I was standing right beside the lady when the supervisor did this so as soon as she left I asked the supervisor why I could not also have the free wifi??? He never even replied except to say no!

When the other supervisor finally arrived I again (kindly...I believe you get better results with honey than vinegar) explained my concerns and pervious years experience but once again he said there was nothing he could do. When I asked him to explain the change in the 'all inclusive food policy' he said that when we arrived we were given a pamphlet that explained their 'extras' policies...it's true that did happen. But as I said to him, if that info would have been given to me BEFORE I brought my family to Mexico I would not have booked this 'all inclusive' hotel. These extra charges we not in the hotel booking info. His response was that because we booked a Airtransat Holiday it was not his responsibility for what they had on their web site. I also told him about the recent wifi incident, he smiled and again said there is nothing he can do!

I wondered if I was being to sensitive to all these (and many other issues) but during the course of our 1 week stay every person we had a bit of an extended conversation with had serious complaints. Most people, like us, said they would never return to VDP!

One last warning, the restaurants (now) require a reservation for dinner...even though they had many empty tables every night, they would turn people away. We made a point of watching if empty tables would be given to those who had not 'reserved' them. On at least 4 nights, at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the empty tables in the restaurants we went to were unused from 5:30 P.M. until 8 P.M. Many, many, people were turned away because they didn't have reservations and the told the restaurant was 'full'. We saw so many sad and disappointed people walk away.

The hotel really pushed their TIME SHARE (VIP) program...our 'concierge' woke us up on our 1st morning to see if we had decided to join there VIP presentation! When she asked if she woke me (I sounded like I just woke up) I said yes, she then replied by saying it was a nice day outside (or something like that) no apology or 'shall I call you later?'...very unprofessional. btw, it was raining that day!

In fairness, the cleaning staff and grounds people kept the hotel very clean. Many of the serving staff were very good. Although VDP tell you tipping is not required, we always budget for tipping. I understand that tipping is a big part of the staff's income and we want to help them. But if you don't tip there are many waiters who will not serve you very well once they identify you as a non-tipper.

I totally blame the MANAGEMENT of VDP for all these issues. Their primary goal seems to be to separate you from as much of your money as possible. They try to present themselves as a high end destination all inclusive resort and spa. But in reality seem to care very little about customer service or providing the services you've paid for IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN THEIR TIME SHARE PROGRAM!!!

So sad....

Room Tip: Higher floor have a nicer view and are quieter.

5 Thank das d

Dear das d,

Louisville
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a beautiful resort, everything practically brand new, service excellent but that could be because only around 50% full, staff very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. food awesome... only problem we had absolutely nothing to do at night and too far out of the way to go into town also no free wi fi, you could use the hotel computer but had to stand in line and wait until someone else was finished. other than that we are definitely going back. if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation this is it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear FortyFun,

New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Would definitely recommend the all inclusive package at Villa del Palmar.We were really impressed by the selection and quality of the food - much better than typical all -inclusives. The beach is really beautiful- white sand, pretty clear water. The pools were also really lovely and there are tons of jacuzzis.We got upgraded to a suite which was huge and really clean. Only problem was our mattress sagged in the middle. The weather was pretty terrible while we were there so we had to spend a lot of time indoors and there wasn't much to do, but if you get good weather, this place is fantastic. Would definitely recommend taking the ferry from the resort to Isla Mujeres 45 mins away. Rent a golf cart and go see the Mayan ruins in a sculpture park overlooking the ocean. And eat at Cubano- delish.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Erica_NYC_7

Dear Erica_NYC_7,

Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Villa Del Palmar in Cancun is a beautiful resort. We were in Cancun last year at the Fiesta Americana - and spent a couple days at the Villa Del Palmar then - and it is indeed a beautiful resort. Having said that, last year, we didn't see a cloud in 8 days (1/1 thru 1/9). This year, we didn't see a "complete" sun until the day we were leaving (1/2 thru 1/12!). Only 5 "reasonable" days of weather...Most bizarre - and given that - the resort does not have much to offer in terms of indoor activities, when the weather is lousy; but how many go to Cancun to do indoor activities? exactly. Having said that - and based on last years experience - I believe this is a great place for a vacation, especially for an "older" (over 18) - but you do need to consider a few things. First, the "all inclusives" are only for you if 1) you have the money, and 2) everyone in your group loves to eat and drink (ALOT) and 3) if you don't intend to leave the resort....otherwise, you will not get your money's worth. While the resort has refrigerators and stoves - the resort management do NOT want you to be buying food and booz away from the resort to bring back and cook/party in your room. The trash cans are puny. One home cooked meal and a couple six packs of beer - requires 3 of those puny garbage cans. There are 2 or 3 pots/pans...and that's it for cooking! Having said that, you could easily purchase food and booz and save ALOT of $ - but again, the all inclusives are moneymakers for the resorts....and everything they do and offer - pushes you away from managing your own cooking and booz purchases at the Walmart/Shopping Centers in town. If you do NOT get the all inclusives though, prepare to tip everyone you meet there (supposedly, gratuities are included in all inclusives? - not sure if that truly flushes out as I didn't get it). I spent $200 in tips alone....and that excludes big meals. Taxi rides, maids (built into your bill - unavoidable), requests for extra towels, etc, etc., etc. Despite that, I still made out by NOT purchasing the All Inclusives and it was a big savings). Though they have obtained some free shuttles since last year, they need to offer more. Villa Palmar is outside the hotel district (which is not necessarily a bad thing), but - without the free shuttles - does require expensive transportation - and they do need to improve and add a bunch more shuttles - so that more residents can get to other areas in Cancun, without having to spend an arm and a leg...one positive are the ferries to the Isla de Mujeres, they are reasonably priced - though the closer (right next to the hotel)/cheaper ones don't run enough (only 4 or 5 times a day, in both directions $3 one way) - still, the Ultra Mar's, larger/faster ferry/boats in Puerta Juarez are relatively close (10 minute taxi ride for $15) and are not too expensive ($7 one way) - so this is a relatively easy/cheap ride to mujeres. A couple of nice restaurants/bars on that side as well - Los Fueguitos is a fantastic, reasonably priced Steakhouse; the Rock n Roll Bar, while small - felt homey, and the "Soggy Peso" provided some fun entertainment for my older (college age) crowd. As for the Resort itself - The rooms are very well designed, and comfortable - that is a big plus. We were on the "ocean-side" and when the weather behaved, it was a spectacular view, and very pleasant outside, pools and hottubs are excellent. One other downside - everywhere you go within the resort - you bill your room (they don't take cash, except for the on-site grocery store). Which is fine if money is not an issue. But it makes it very difficult to keep track of how much you are spending - especially when you have a large group as we did. Overall, and the weather notwithstanding (lousy this year - outstanding last year, same time of year), I will come back to Villa Del Palmar...but perhaps, a bit wiser, and hopefully, a couple of the things I mentioned have been improved upon. If you look at the weather patterns for late December, early January over time - they are normally much better than they were this year.

Room Tip: Recommend the Ocean View and top floors, when possible; Buildings 1 and 3 are closer to the water.

5 Thank John W
Hotel_Administration, Guest Relations Manager at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2016
Dear Guest,

Fremont, California
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Great customer service: Mgr Oscar, Nely, concierge Monica, Lisette, Daniela want to thank you all. Great place, view, shows, relaxing place. Great Restaurants. Great room service for us. Thank you Tomasa. I will give a 5 star for this place.

• Stayed January 2014

Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 181 in Cancun
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,711 reviews

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!