“Very nice hotel but isolated”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Williamsville, NY
“Very nice hotel but isolated”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The room we had (studio) was quiet and very comfortable. The house keeping staff did a fine job. However, the AC never worked well. It kept shutting off or the room was too hot or cold; the thermostat never seemed to work and despite four calls to maintenance and 4 attempts to fix it, they never did.

The resort is very well kept. The restaurants had good food and was moderately priced to expensive. Most meals averaged 110 USD for two with main courses, a beer each, salad, and desert.

The beach is very small.

I would rate it higher, but the hotel is very isolated. Nothing is near by. It is a $30 cab ride, each way, into Cancun. We came on an all inclusive trip that required us to attend a "90" minute presentation, (more like 8:30 am to 11:30 am!), so we only paid $399 for five nights all inclusive. If we came back we would rent a car and not buy an all-inclusive plan and would rent a car...IF we came back. We would probably stay in the hotel zone.

Room Tip: Studio facing the water. Building 3 is quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,500)
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We enjoyed a glorious week at Villa del Palmar. The resort is absutely beautiful. We were in no way pressured to attend any time share tour while there. There was an issue with a mix-up in our rooms as they were not as we had arranged through the travel agent and it took a lot of discussion and agravation for some members of our family to get it worked out. We arrived on a Sunday and they were able to fix the issue on Tuesday. Service was always delivered in a pleasant manner but we learned right away not to wait and order when we were already thirsty or hungry. In most cases the wait for drinks or food either by the pools, in the restaurants, or through room service was one hour. A buffet available at all hours would have helped eliminate the wait for lunch and maybe dinner. We had arranged dinner reservatuons at all of the restaurants prior to our arrival, which was a good thing because when you called the day of you were usually offered 9pm seatings, according to some orhers we met and spoke with. We had purchased the all-inclusive package and we made sure to tip over and beyond to assure good service, even though tips are supposedly included in this package, but it didn't speed things up, There were a few servers who were faster and did a great job, such as Rosio. As the servers outside moved around each day, we tried to move with her when possible! The activities such as Bingo and swimnastics were enjoyable and the leaders were enthusiastic and made them fun. Evening shows were mostly enjoyable. Not much nightlife here though. It was usually quiet by 10pm except for one bar which stayed open late. I don't know if most of the vacationers were even aware of that though because few took advantage of it. Housekeeping did a great job of keeping the rooms clean and replenishing necessities, including the honor
bar. The rooms were nice and spacious. Overall we enjoyed our week at this resort, albeit a few snags. I would go back to Cancun, although I would probably stay more in the hotel district next time to compare.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank MomBecR

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I want to begin by saying we had a wonderful, relaxing time at Villa Del Palmar. We visited from July 11 - 16. Please don't see my comments as negative as they are only meant to be helpful to those going to VDP after us. We went to VDP as part of a 5 night 6 day all-inclusive promotion for a Deluxe Suite (efficiency). When we received our confirmation call from VDP we were offered an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite for an additional $35.00 per night. I said no, but upon further thought decided I would consider the upgrade after seeing the 1 bedroom I would be offered (after reading on trip advisor that some people ended up in 1 bedrooms with very poor views, etc). Upon checking in I was told that the upgrade to a 1 bedroom would be an additional $80.00 per night, which was almost 3 times the phone offer. If you think you might want the upgrade, and are a risk taker, take the offer when you get your confirmation call. I was also told that I had to pay $90 a night to move to a higher floor. I declined the move and was very pleased with our Deluxe suite on the first floor. We spent very little time in the room, so the view wasn't an issue. We were able to hear our noisy neighbors, but not an issue again due to our lim
Other things to consider are listed below:
1. Restaurants: If you make your reservations on line in advance (which you can do after you receive your confirmation call, be sure you get a confirmation number. I made reservations (or so I thought) for all 5 nights online. No confirmation number was given. The message I got was that the reservations were successful and that I needed to confirm once I got to the facility. When we checked in we were told there were no reservations for us and all restaurants were full. We ended up eating at the "Bite Bar" for our 26th wedding anniversary. No one made any attempt to accommodate us and I was very disappointed. This got things off to a bad start. We since learned that you can make reservations for your entire stay once you are at the resort.
2. Mosquitos: "Bite Bar" was a very appropriate name for this restaurant as I have no less than 100 (not an exaggeration...we counted) mosquito bites. We were not permitted to get "food to go". Several people left prior to receiving their food because the mosquitos were so bad. My husband was only bitten a couple of times, so I don't know why I was the dish of the evening.. Be sure to bring some type of mosquito repellent and after bite support as I am still nursing the bites. Several people at the airport (even those who didn't stay at VDP) were complaining about mosquito bites. I just want you to be prepared so you don't experience the same agony.
3. Isla de las Mujeres: I was really looking forward to this day trip. We took the cheaper ferry over and were met by large groups of people wanting us to take their cabs or rent their golf carts. My husband, against my wishes, decided that we would follow one of these gentlemen to his place to rent a golf cart. It was off the main strip where there were many carts available to rent. Long story short, our golf cart broke down. Thankfully we were within walking distance to a gas station and I spoke enough Spanish to be able to ask that the golf cart place be called and asked to pick us up. Someone came within 5 minute and towed us back. They would not refund our money but offered to give us another cart. We didn't want to press our luck and just said no. We never made it to the beautiful beach but still spent a relaxing time at the beach close to where we were dropped off. Avoid QV Juarez MZA. 13 NO. 3 Centro for cart rental. Bad business! Be sure to find out in advance what to do if you break down.
4. Activities: We went to VDP because we wanted a relaxing vacation and that's what we had. You've already read that there is little to nothing going on in the evenings...this is true. There are also no inside activities for adults (unless we just weren't told about them). Luckily we had brought a backgammon board with us. This came in handy when it rained and in the evenings. Shows were 3-5 out of 10 at best. Lots to do during the day when the weather cooperates.
5. Other tidbits: Davino for breakfast (great buffet and made to order omelets, pancakes, and smoothies). Dinner menu at Davino limited but good and wait staff is excellent. Many open table each night but they still won't take walk ins. Zama was good but we did not enjoy buffet night. Check to see when that is scheduled and avoid it. Bite Bar is great for lunch and late night. Very good thin crust pizza, wings and shrimp. Wait staff was great there as well.

In spite of the negative things we experienced, we still had an absolutely wonderful time. This is a beautiful facility. As long as you are prepared (including deck shoes because material around pools gets very hot and tiles are slippery when wet) you will enjoy this bit of heaven on earth. The ambiance is magical. All of the staff (Antonio at Davino's was my favorite) were friendly and helpful. The rooms are breathtaking. I hope this information was helpful for you.

11 Thank Elbie728

High Bridge, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this beautiful resort to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary! We choose an all inclusive stay and couldn't have asked for better accommodations and service. The food was really good. The pools were fantastic! The room was very clean and well kept. All of the employees were very nice and extremely helpful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Amy K

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our second anniversary here. We had never been to Mexico and didn't know what to expect. The resort was beautiful, well maintained and clean. We had an all inclusive package that made our stay even more relaxing (not having to worry about spending). The food was incredible and there there were so many options. There were lots of activities and we were able to do outside activities too. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. We wish we could have stayed longer. If you are interested in becoming a member ask for Manuel Lemuz, he is awesome and will help you sign up.

Room Tip: Ocean front is obviously the best for a spectacular view.

1 Thank Rebecca W

Malta, New York, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My experience with Villa del Palmer beach resort was amazing and I couldn't have asked for more. When you book on the internet you never know quite what you are getting, I was very pleasantly surprised. When they said "All Inclusive," it really was. No drink or food limits, Staff made you feel like royalty. The resort was very nice with several pools, beautiful rooms, beautiful view, plenty of activities to participate in, good food and 5 restaurants to choose from, room service and food delivery on the beach. More than I could ever expected!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Yvonne D

texas
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Villa del Palmar met all my expectations from check in to check out. Had the all inclusive which was more than enough food and drinks for me as I am not a big drinker. The room was beautiful and I love all the furnishings. The entire property is gorgeous. I miss playing the toothpick games with Manuel at the Campos bar. He is such a nice guy and he called me by my first name everytime I saw him. I didn't want to do the presentation but in all honesty I had no problem at all. Martin who gave the overview of Villa del Palmar was very knowledgable of the entire resort and he answered all the questions asked. He made the presentation enjoyable as there are so many horror stories when doing these presentations. I thank Martin Brown highly for his ease in deliverance. Although I didn't buy, if I were to buy I would want to have someone like Martin to purchase a vacation ownership from. The staff and the guests I met were very nice. The beach is not swimmable and the water is not as pretty as it is in the hotel zone area, but this did not bother me at all. The restaurants are large and I enjoyed the variety of foods offered. The check in service in my opinion could be a bit faster, but it was not unbearable. I would go back here without no hesitation and I will definitely recommend the resort to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the pool. Beautiful view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

#1 of 6 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!