“One of the best resorts I've ever stayed in!”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Austin, Texas
“One of the best resorts I've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about this place. The rooms were beautifully decorated and spacious! Service was outstanding everywhere we went! And the food hands down was delicious and they had an outstanding variety. Extra bonus was that one of my favorite servers from another resort (Francisco at Zama)was now working here! The only thing that needs work is the wifi is slow but who needs to be checking email on vacation! We had our 8 year old daughter and she really enjoyed playing with Araceli at the kids club and performing in the nightly shows when they asked for volunteers. We can't wait to return to this place and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank MelissaL272
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel for my family (we traveled with a 6&9 years old) was almost perfect. First of all the transportation from the airport was great, they used the small minibus, so it was almost like private transfer, didn't have to stop at any hotel to drop off other people. The hotel grounds are beautiful, newer, spotless, always enough chairs around the 5 pools. Our room was also very clean, room service took about 1 hour to get the food, and by the time it came already was cold. The food at the restaurant were excellent for our liking, I loved that everything made for order, after this hotel I never wanna go back to a "buffet style vacation" again. The variety was great, even smoked salmon for breakfast, duck tacos for lunch. The service by the beach and the pool was great, they came every 10-15 minutes to check on us if we need anything.
Now, what we didn't like was the beach, it was full of seaweed, they raked the sand every morning but for some reason left the seaweed there, so it was basically never cleaned up. If we decide to go back we will take water shoes with us, there were lots of small sharp rocks it was painful to get into the water. We also like the long walks along the beach, but here we couldn't do it because it was the only hotel at this area and the beach was only clean and walkable between the hotel property lines. Left side there was a car ferry, right side they start to build soon 2 hotels, and I think it is going to be awfully noisy for the next 2 years. So everything comes down what someones preference is, for us huge positive was the cleanliness, the beauty of the hotel and the food, but the beach can be a deal breaker.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kistunderke

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Good
* Beautiful resort!!! Newness is still apparent and upgrades in the units make the feel and stay very enjoyable.
* Excellent Service. The entire staff was good to great. No issues. Everyone that you get to know is so friendly and personable. Hostess, wait staff, bartenders, cleaning staff, Front desk, and anyone working the grounds made an effort to smile and say ola, etc.
*Food!! Great food and selection. Accompanied with great service. We had a plan that didn't include the steak house or Hiroshi-sushi restaurant, but Davinos, Zama, and the Bite Bar was quite tasty. Several fish varieties, shrimp, pastas, mexican, beef, chicken, salads, etc. Tried most of them and was good to great, nothing we didn't like.
* Pools were Fabulous! Several pools to choose from. Found that the pool with the water bridge had the coolest water temperature, which we liked. The infinity and others did not have the chill that we like for the crisp refreshed feel when first getting in. Other people semed to prefer the slightly warmer pools. Plenty of chairs, clean pool towels.
* Bars and more bars! Several bars around the property making getting a drink an ease. Great bartenders with wonderful personalities. The swing bars were awesome to hang out on.
* Breeze blowing! An incredible breeze always blowing in off the water made eating, drinking, sitting, or whatever bearable when outside.
* Entertainment. The Cuban band was very good, but would like to hear some variety. Nightly shows were OK. Not Vegas or even cruise ship quality, but something.

The Bad
* No swim up bar. 5 pools and not a swim up.
* The AC unit didn't work very efficiently. I am comfortable at 75 degrees at home, but had the room set at 68.5 and it still could not cool completely or get all the humidity out of the small studio room. Probably a reason for several complaints listed about musty smell. Our bathroom shower curtain had a slight musty smell.
* Hotel would exchange US dollars for Peso’s, I think below the current exchange rate because I got better conversions in town. Then hotel wouldn’t buy back my left over Peso’s for US dollars, stating they don’t stock US currency. WHAT???? We are giving them US currency for the Peso’s??????
* The tile hallways have large grout lines so when the cleaning crews begin pulling out carts and such at 6:30-7:00 am, it makes a loud racket going back and forth the hallways every morning. Every Morning waken up with this noise. They should use the smooth tile without the grout gaps, perhaps in the 2 new buildings.
* Fish and shrimp over cooked for my liking so had to request that the fish and shrimp remain moist and not cooked well done whenever ordering. It made a big difference in the dishes. Not sure if that is how they are instructed to cook the seafood, but I grew up eating moist fish and shrimp cooked only until done, no more.
* Remote location, nothing in walking distance. No restaurants outside the resorts, so if not doing the all-inclusive, you will have to cook or pay their relatively high prices in their restaurants. No nightclubs, only onsite musical entertainment was the Cuban band, which was great, but would like a top 40 band at night, piano bar singer, or easy listening guitar type for happy hour.
* Nightly entertainment set up with folding chairs and portable stages, etc. They should plan and build an outdoor amphitheater and have a nice venue for shows.
The Ugly
* The Beach was not up to our resort standards. We are from Florida and close to Clearwater Beaches, Fort DeSoto Beach, and Honeymoon Island, which are all white soft sand beaches with emerald blue/green waters. The beaches here did have a bit of seaweed that washed up daily and was cleaned daily as well. The waters were OK, with some seaweed and some rocks. We preferred the pools and did a beach day when we made a trip to the Isle Majures.
* Across the street look to be old rentals or apartments. Hopefully, some newer businesses will be built, such as stores and restaurants in the future.

Even though I covered a wide spectrum of critiques, we had a great time and plan to return. I hope this helps prepare you for your visit.

Room Tip: Above 3rd floor for ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MikeyPenn

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you are not a heavy drinker or a non-drinker beware...... This resort calls itself "all inclusive" but it was very difficult to get non-alcoholic warm beverages such as coffee or tea. They had a small coffee machine in the lobby lounge and when I asked for coffee was told that it was "broken". The only times that I could order a coffee/tea were at breakfast and lunch. At lunch I was served old, cold coffee from the morning. It was awful. The servers and managers are somewhat chauvinsistic and I honestly felt that if I had been travelling with my husband as opposed to my sister that the service would have been far superior. The service by the beach was particularly horrible, the young male server who approached us by the beach was arrogant and rude. We didn't feel comfortable ordering food or drinks by the beach. Besides the beach servers simply lie, when you try to order food by the beach they tell you that have no menus. Overall the rooms are nicely decorated and resort is very clean.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, but try to request a room as close to the water as possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank stylishcanadian

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband & I and two kids, 11, 13, just got back from a lovely, relaxing vacation at Villa Del Palmar. I had done my homework, read tons of reviews and am glad that I planned this wonderful trip.We stayed for one week in a one bedroom suite which was perfect for us and still felt very roomy. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but so what.The rooms were very modern and clean, never saw any bugs, and everyone was at our beck and call.Our fridge was stocked up daily with beer, pop, chips and water. We also had a washer & dryer in our suite which came to good use.We also had a safe in our room & didn't have to pay extra. It was included in our all-inclusive package, which I think is the way to go.We also drank their water at all the restaurants, ate everything and none of us got sick.All the restaurants were amazing, never seen such effort in the food presentation as I did, especially at Davino's restaurant.The steak restaurant, La Casona was also great, we had their ribeye and it was excellent.Hiroshi was also
very good.The snack bar had a good variety of food that we had to choose from for lunch everyday, their coconut shrimps were also delightful, my kids really enjoyed their burgers, and I
enjoyed their lighter choices like chicken fajitas.When we arrived on our first day, I automatically made dinner reservations for three days, never had a problem with that.As we got to know which restaurants we enjoyed the most, we then reserved the following days for dinner.At Zama's restaurant you could order a great breakfast, my kids loved their pancakes with chocolate sauce, and we all loved their green juice.You could also eat breakfast buffet at Davino's which had more of a selection and you could order your eggs the way you like them.
We had a waiter serve us everyday at the different pools, you could even eat your lunch by the pool, their staff work very hard to make you feel right at home, they were wonderful.I also enjoyed working out at their gym which was very high tech and very clean.Our balcony was huge, we were on the fifth floor & right in the middle of everything, it was great!The resort is not huge, but a perfect size to walk around and relax.We spent only two days at the beach kayaking, the water was nice, a bit rocky, we spent more time in the pools because our kids swam alot.They had some daily activities, but I don't think there was enough to do.The nightly entertainment is something that they need to improve. Most of the people were in their rooms by 10:00-10:30pm.This is not a partying resort which was good for us because we enjoyed the quiet evenings.This resort suites couples and families with young kids, there is not enough to keep teens busy. I would absolutely recommend this resort to everyone that wants a very relaxing vacation with up to date amenities.Oh Yeah! we had to sign a bill whenever we ordered anything, drinks, after every meal, yeah it got to be annoying, but you know nothing can be perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up, in the middle had a view of everything, pools, and beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank ana999

NJ
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was our first stop on our stay in Cancun. Honestly if I would have known how great this resort was I would have booked it first. The rooms were incredible, the pools and abundance of eateries were great. You are kinda far away from everything but they make up for it with amenities. I prefer a quiet relaxed atmosphere and they delivered. They have the most relaxing Bossa Nova music playing on the grounds that make you float away and their king sized beds on the beach was incredible. Staff was friendly and helpful. Resort is all inclusive and a time share property but no one was pushy to try and make us take a tour. Check them out, worth the money and trip to the property. We will def be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tinalmnj

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a four day stay at Villa del Palmar. The resort was incredible! The food, service, and amenities were outstanding! This resort has the nicest gym of ANY hotel I have ever stayed at!
This is also the first place that the pictures actually look exactly like the room we got. The balcony has a hammock and our has a beautiful view of the pool and ocean in the distance.

If this is your first time to Mexico, be prepared to be hassled by the sales people at the aiport about all the extursion options. We did the snorkeling/boat tour to the island and had a great time! We were told the bus trip to Tulum was 40 minutes, but took over 3 hours. It was a very interesting tour but a lot of time to be on a bus!

The Villa del Palmar is set aside from all other hotels This is NOT your typical "spring break" type of crowd. It is wonderful for couples, families, and anyone looking for a more secluded resort to get away from it all!

We give this experience and resort a 10!!

Room Tip: We choose the smallest room and it was MORE than enough space for us. It had a King size bed. Huge t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Beloved Playa Mujeres
#1 of 6 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!