Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
NJ
“Heaven”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was our first stop on our stay in Cancun. Honestly if I would have known how great this resort was I would have booked it first. The rooms were incredible, the pools and abundance of eateries were great. You are kinda far away from everything but they make up for it with amenities. I prefer a quiet relaxed atmosphere and they delivered. They have the most relaxing Bossa Nova music playing on the grounds that make you float away and their king sized beds on the beach was incredible. Staff was friendly and helpful. Resort is all inclusive and a time share property but no one was pushy to try and make us take a tour. Check them out, worth the money and trip to the property. We will def be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tinalmnj
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,522)
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a four day stay at Villa del Palmar. The resort was incredible! The food, service, and amenities were outstanding! This resort has the nicest gym of ANY hotel I have ever stayed at!
This is also the first place that the pictures actually look exactly like the room we got. The balcony has a hammock and our has a beautiful view of the pool and ocean in the distance.

If this is your first time to Mexico, be prepared to be hassled by the sales people at the aiport about all the extursion options. We did the snorkeling/boat tour to the island and had a great time! We were told the bus trip to Tulum was 40 minutes, but took over 3 hours. It was a very interesting tour but a lot of time to be on a bus!

The Villa del Palmar is set aside from all other hotels This is NOT your typical "spring break" type of crowd. It is wonderful for couples, families, and anyone looking for a more secluded resort to get away from it all!

We give this experience and resort a 10!!

Room Tip: We choose the smallest room and it was MORE than enough space for us. It had a King size bed. Huge t...
2 Thank lmhamel

Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We just got back from Cancun. We are owners at Villa Del Palmar but not of this resort. This was our first trip here.
The property is very pretty and easy to get around. May is their quiet time. We had no problems finding chairs or getting into the restaurants.
We had the all-inclusive for 3 days. We did not sign up for additional days. We only had two meals we were disappointed with. One was a breakfast at Zama. It was our first breakfast with the meal plan. We ordered the same thing the day before while not under the meal plan and it was beautifully served and the waiter was very attentive. The next day the food looked nothing like the day before and waitress was not interested in doing her job.. We kept on having to request items that should have already been brought to us. Our bacon was brought right when we were finishing our meal. I think it was the dreaded wrist bands you have to wear. It seems some of the staff feel if you have prepaid then they wont get any tip. We always tip additionally for good service. The other item was a pizza from room service. It was cardboardy and looked and tasted like the cheap pizza's from the supermarket. Also, when we arrived our mini bar in the room was full of all kinds goodies. The next two days we got no candy, cookies, water etc. Had to go to our Club members manager to complain as it took 3 requests to have someone come up. He was very attentive and took care of the problems we told him about.
For us the meal plan did not work. We did not drink enough booze to make the $95 a day beneficial. We did do our share of drinking but still was not worth it. The prices of the dinners in the restaurants were very reasonable. Dinners averaged around $25 to $30 with many under $20 and a few above the 30. That is not bad for a resort. The food was very good too. Hiroshi was wonderful. We had great food there twice. The sushi was great. We had the tempura fried soft shell crab....It was amazing!!. Lots of small bites so you could try different things. La Casona was also a hit but my braised beef ribs were very tough and chewy. I know the party next to us also had the same problem with the ribs. They just needed to cook longer as the flavor was good. Davino's was excellent also. We ordered a whole snapper and they brought the fish out first for our approval.
We went to Isla Mujeres and found it to be so conjested and typical tourist trap. We had been there over 15 years ago and it has changed so much. We rented the golf cart to tour the island. That was a disaster. The roads were so bad we got bounced all over. They had huge road bumps all around to keep you from speeding. It was a very unpleasant ride. You had to hang on to keep your seat. We had some drinks on the island and snack.
Overall the staff at Palmar do a fantastic job of taking care of their guests. There was music playing during the day. The staff did entertaining in the evenings and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. No loud music and no pouring of tiquila down peoples throats like they do in some other resorts. For sure it's a good for family place. We will happily return there.
It took us 30 minutes to get from the airport to Palmar. That was not bad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Beachy1966

Romeo, Michigan
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just came back from Villa Del Palmar, stayed May7-14. We had a great time. Hopefully I can give a review that can help people.The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are georgeous, and the staff very very friendly. The food is very good. We had and all inclusive package that didn't include two of the restaurants, but really didn't care because the other two restaurants were very good. The drinks were good and signing the checks didn't bother myself or my husband at all. The pools were very clean and there were lots of loungers available around the pools. (though we were there at the off season.)
We never had any problems making a reservation at the restaurants but again it was off season. Our room was a one bedroom beautiful and very clean. We did have a problem at first because I had paid to upgrade to a one bedroom, had a confirmation proving that, and good thing I did because somehow thay had me in a studio in their system, and didn't show I had paid for the upgrade. I showed them and after a few minutes of waiting they put me in the right type of room. I have to say I was a little upset, because since it was their off season there were tons of empty rooms, and since they screwed up my reservation, I thought they would give me at least a room higher up to give my a better ocean view, but I guess they didn't feel the need to try to make it up to me and would rather leave those rooms unattended, then make me a little happier. That is one of the reasons they didn't get a 5. But I had a very nice room on the 2nd floor.
Because the hotel is quite remote, I highly suggest getting the all inclusive. The ala carte prices at the resort are ridiculous, and the all inclusive is well worth it.
If your looking for good entertainment at night go somewhere else. The entertainment staff tried hard, but I think the entertainment director should be fired, it really wasn't good and I readlly did try to keep on open mind. Overall we had a great time, and I got a great deal because I booked at a discount because I had to take the time share presentation. It was fine, don't go to one if your going to let that ruin your trip. That didn't effect my rating because that's a seperate matter. If you let a time share presentation ruin your vacation, just say no,

Room Tip: Ask for the highest level you can get, to get the best ocean view.
3 Thank Lori_Vacationer

Sarasota, Florida

LONG REVIEW!!!!!

DH and I own with UVC; who are the owners of this and several other resorts in Mexico. Our home resort was (note the was) at Villa del Arco in Cabo San Lucas (which we bought in May 2006), but since we moved to Florida, Cancun is much more convenient for us to travel to, which is why we decided to book a one week vacation at this resort for May 4-May 11.

I can't remember when exactly we booked it, but we did so by calling the number they give to owners with no trouble. We have a one bedroom and were able to get a one bedroom (this isn't always the case, depending on when you are traveling and what the availability is when you call). The primary reason we picked this week was that we had two separate sets of friends also going to Cancun May 4-May 11.

Like many others have commented in their reviews, I was a bit wary about what we were going to find after reading so many negative reviews (although I note that there are definitely more positive ones than negative ones). I did quite a bit of poking around on this site; reading reviews, participating in the forums, just to get a feel. Also, I was doing research on whether or not we should pay for the All Inclusive Plan; wondering if it would really be worth it.

A bit about us. We've both traveled A LOT, both for business and pleasure, domestically and internationally. We also love to go on cruises. Our style, for the most part, is relaxed and laid back but we do expect to get what we've paid for and expect good service. We are forgiving of a few minor slip ups here and there but won't hesitate to register a complaint if there is what we perceive to be a significant problem. I put all of this forth before the review so you'll know where our heads are at.

Pre Arrival
First of all, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the company (their head quarters is in San Diego) a few weeks before we left. The Concierge, Travis, told me he was simply calling to make sure we didn't have any questions or if we needed any help with arranging travel, meal plans, excursions, etc. He arranged the airport/resort/resort/airport transport for us. $80 total (for up to four people). Could we have found it a few bucks cheaper? Sure. But, we're all about convenience. And, had we two others with us (which many people do travel in fours), it really would have been a great deal.

Travis also "talked me into" the AI. I say this tongue in cheek; I asked many, many, many questions about this before we pulled the plug and went for it. I was concerned that certain restaurants would not be included (there are five on site) or that the drinks would be weak, or that we'd get charged hidden charges. However, after considering the fact that the resort IS off the beaten track and that we'd likely eat 90% of our meals there (not to mention all those days pool side sipping on beer and foo foo drinks), we figured it was the best route. And, it was. The price is $95 per person per day. So, for $1330, we had a 7 day AI (started when we arrived Saturday late afternoon and went through noon on the Saturday we left, which worked perfectly). FYI, you can elect to do the AI for fewer days, e.g., if you know you'll be spending several days off site exploring Cancun, however, the days you pick must be consecutive. As it turned out, I just did the tallying of receipts and we spent almost exactly this amount (give or take); and, this even though we were off site for one dinner and one lunch. I'm also fairly certain they did not put every single drink down that we had :-)

Airport Arrival
After going through customs and getting our bags, we walked outside the terminal and easily found our ride (Endless Tours). I'm sure all of you already know this, but, if you are meeting a ride, they will NOT be one of the folks eager to get your attention inside the terminal. Be wary of them or else you may end up trapped doing something you don't want to. Although we already knew this, Travis gave us another "heads up" about it. We waited a bit for them to get us the cab that would take us to the resort. Note: Unless you are really wanting to jump start your vacation, stay away from the little bar outside the airport as we paid $5.50 each for two regular sized cans of Mexican beer. The only reason I did this was because we needed change for a tip for the driver. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The ride to the resort took roughly 1/2 hour. Maybe a bit less.

Resort Arrival
We got lucky; not a lot of people in the lobby when we arrived around 3:30. I was prepared for a throng but only one other couple in line ahead of us. There was a welcome drink, too; some frozen mango-strawberry cocktail; not a lot of booze in it but it was very refreshing.

We had no problem with check in, even though the person checking us in was in training. Yes, they did put a $300 "hold" on the credit card. Let me assure you, when we checked out, it was voided out. Don't get your panties in a twist about this!!!!! Since it was close to 4:00, our room was ready. We ended up in 3404A (having read all the reviews and tips beforehand, I knew we wanted as high as possible; would I have preferred higher? Sure, but, the 4th floor was just fine and I didn't feel like monkeying around with asking for something else, MY CHOICE).

Room
So, 3404A is a one bedroom "villa". The 3 stands for building 3, which, if you are looking at the resort from the beach, is the building on the left (near to where they are starting their second phase; luckily, they were not doing any construction the week we were there because it could have been annoying). 4 is for fourth floor and 404A is the room number itself. The A stands for one bedroom. The room right next to ours, which I am guessing was simply 3404, was a studio. If we'd had a two bedroom, we would have had the entire "3404A and 3404" as there is connecting door between the two.

As others have posted, the rooms are really, really nice. Granite counter tops, stainless appliances, marble floors, nice modern artsy furnishings and decor, great layout and fantastic lanai including a hammock, a lounger, a small table, and a round table with four chairs. Very large. Our view was great of both the pool area and the sea. Every morning I watched the sunrise from either my side of the bed or outside on the lanai. Totally beautiful. The bed was very comfy. There are two bathrooms; the master (which has two sinks, a shower and a jetted bathtub) and then a smaller bathroom with a shower right off the main living area. Had we had two more people with us, they would have been on the pull down Murphy bed in the living area. The kitchen seems well enough supplied but since we did the AI, we never needed anything other than a coffee cup or two. They could have used a roll of paper towels in there, I might add.

Food and Bevos
As noted, we did the AI and do not regret it one bit. We ate at every single restaurant and certainly partook of the bars and poolside service as well. We also ordered room service several mornings and helped ourselves to the stuff in the fridge in the room, which was all part of our AI. Please note, not all AIs are equal! I think many folks that are coming here from some tour or deal or whatever get a different AI than what we had (people did have different colored bands). Make sure you know what your AI includes so you won't be disappointed.

Were some of the alcoholic drinks "weak"? Yes. No problem. Tell them upfront to make it a double. Or, order beer (although DH did get a tad sick of draft Corona!) or wine or Champagne or whatever. We also found that if we tipped extra, the drinks got stronger AND came with out even being asked for (e.g., by the pool). One day our server brought me three or four different drinks to try, it was sorta cute.

BTW, the AI also includes juices, sodas, and bottled water for those of you worried about drinking the local water (but you shouldn't worry because the resort is on a filtration system and the tap water is just fine).

All in all we were pleased with the selection of drinks and can't say enough about the friendliness of the servers.

The food was really quite good. We ate at Davinos three times for dinner; probably our favorite for dinner; a varied menu featuring Mediterranean themed food. We'd usually drink wine with dinner (whatever their house white/red was; it seemed to vary by restaurant) which was just fine. We tried the steakhouse La Casona, once. It was fine but they did over cook my tenderloin some, I have to say. We also ate at Zama for dinner; interesting traditional Mexican food (not what you'd find at your local taco joint). We ate at Zama three times for breakfast (neither of us our big buffet people; for that, you do to Davinos). We mostly ate Mexican breakfast items but I did have pancakes one day and they were yummy. And, wow. The fruit plate is to die for; be sure to get a Mimosa, too :-) We were also happy with the room service breakfasts we ordered; didn't order lunch or snacks or anything from room service. The food at the Bite Bar (near the pool) is GREAT. DH highly recommends the fish tacos. But, everything else there was excellent as well.

By far our least favorite was Hiroshi. I have to admit, the majority of this was due to the only poor service we had our entire trip. Our waitress was simply awful; she was so bad, in fact, that the hostess (or maybe she was the manager) sort of took over from her. The food was ok; hard to enjoy it though because it came out of order, or didn't come at all, or came and we had no drinks yet, etc. We probably would have been better off sitting at the counter. I know that anyone can have a "bad" night and that others have raved about this restaurant so we're willing to concede it was an anomaly.

Interested in a few prices? Here's an example (if you are considering an AI; including drinks, included tax/tip and extra tip:

Breakfast at Zama $55
Dinner at Davionos $75
Dinner at La Casona $120
Dinner at Hiroshi $87 (note this would have been a lot more if the service had been better, we just wanted out of there!)
Breakfast Room Service $65 (ok, we had a few Mimosas, too!)
Poolside Drinks/Lunch $33

So you can see it adds up!

Employees
All in all, everyone at the resort is friendly, hard working, and kind (with the notable exception of the waitress at Hiroshi).

I was ill one day and DH worked with the Concierge to get an on-call doctor there within an hour.

Resort Grounds/Location
Yes it is off the beaten track but that is what we wanted. I agree with other posters; don't stay here if you are wanting to go all over the place unless you don't mind a $45-$50 RT cab ride each time or trying to figure out how to take their shuttle to get somewhere.

The resort and grounds and beach are lovely. Peaceful. Sort of a Mexican-Zen thing. Piped in music which I'll admit did get a bit old after a week but I tuned it out (some new aged Michael Jackson songs).
Interesting that they start the music around 7:00 am; sort of low, then, as the morning goes on, the music gets louder and louder.

The week we were there it was not crowded at all had no trouble getting loungers by the pool. Every time I looked out at the beach, there were plenty of loungers and beds out there too.

Plenty of bathroom facilities around the resort (important if you are drinking by the pool).

The pool was amazing; loved the way it meandered throughout the entire resort. It was warm, too.

In general, we just loved the way the resort looked; nice little touches everywhere and the grounds were well kept and lovely with all sorts of color and blooming plants.

Activities
The normal pool stuff; volleyball, water aerobics. Apparently a few shows while we were there at 8:00 each night which we didn't go to. It does quiet down around 9:00 but bars are open until 12 or 1.
There was also water equipment that could be rented (non motorized stuff included in the AI). I didn't see a lot of kids; not sure what they do with kids.

THE Meeting
We own so they like us to attend an "Update Meeting"; the lure to attend is vast discounts on food, bevos, excursions, spa treatments, shopping, etc. We didn't care about any of that but we did go to the meeting because we had a few questions about our membership. We also ended up switching our home resort to this one and going from weeks to points. I won't go into those details here since most of you reading this won't care. The meeting did include a tour, more Mimosas, and not too much pressure (probably because we already own.

What We Did
One night we took a cab into El Centro to meet friends at a restaurant they'd recommended, La Habichuela (not the one in the hotel zone). It was very good but NOT cheap. The cab was roughly $40 RT and our driver insisted on waiting for us (for three hours!) to take us back.

Another day we took the ferry over to Isla Mujeres. We could have taken the slow boat to China car ferry right next to the hotel but opted for the "Quick Ferry", a short bus ride away (take the red/white "shuttle" across the street from the resort for about $1 each to the ferry) for $14 RT each; took about 20 minutes to get there.

We met two friends there (they rented a golf cart that seated for for $45 for the day) and drove all around the island, stopping here and there, etc. Had lunch for $65 for all of us (not including tip). A nice enough day trip.

Signing
I have to address this since so many people have been grousing about it. I don't get the big deal. Yes, you sign for everything but, certainly, if it's going on your room tab (e.g., you didn't get an AI), wouldn't you want to sign? And, we were really curious to see how much it we "spent" so we didn't mind AND they usually on brought us one at the end of the day by the pool (two if we'd been there a long time because apparently the tickets can only "hold so much", sorta scary!) We always asked for and received a copy. Really, no bid deal!!!!!

Tipping
Tips are included in the AI so you don't have to tip extra; we chose to and don't regret it. I think all told we ended up tipping an additional $150 (at the resort) the entire week, plus some extra for the maid, plus tips for the bellmen, etc. We also elected to pay the optional $5 per day tips they put on your bill for the "behind the scenes" crew like ground keepers, janitors, maintenance, house keepers, etc. Note this is optional and they will tell you they'll take it off your bill if you don't want to pay it.

Checking Out
No problem. Checked out around 9:00 am, got our voucher for the return ride to the airport, paid our bill (the tips noted above), received the zeroed out charge slip (from the initial $300 deposit) and went over to Davinos for breakfast (the only time we ate at the buffet; it was ok but we don't like buffets).

Fellow Guests
I have to say there were several times I was downright embarrassed to witness how some of the other guests treated the staff at the resort; as if they were slaves or non human or something. It was appalling how some people behaved. Also, one day at the pool, a foursome brought their own boom box and subjected the rest of us to loud, obnoxious and profane music all afternoon. I really do wish the staff would have told them to shut it off! Mostly, though, everyone seemed to be out to have fun and relax.

Departure
When we were ready, we walked outside, handed our voucher and luggage claim tag to the bellman, he got the cab and we were off and running in less than five minutes to the airport.

Anything Bad?
Sure. That waitress. Those loud people at the pool. The fact I left my small evening bag "somewhere" and no one returned it (my fault for leaving it, shame on the person who decided to keep it). I got sick one day but the resort has a doctor on call and they sent him to me in less than an hour and by early afternoon, I was out by the pool feeling much better ($120 "house call").

All in all we had a great time and won't hesitate to return.

Don't let those negative reviewers out there keep you from trying out this truly lovely resort.

15 Thank Empress5150

Weslaco, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Six of us (three couples) were guests from May 4 until May 11, 2013. This was our first time at this resort and it is amazing. FAMAR Travel handled the trip for four of us from the airport. The SUV was a Cadillac Escalade; the driver did a great job and was very helpful.
We arrived at the hotel and were warmly greeted by a bellman that made arrangements for our luggage. The lobby is beautiful. As we were checking in –no waiting- we were served “Mango Tangos”. A very refreshing frozen drink of mangos and rum, my wife fell in love with them! Check-in was a breeze and our rooms were ready immediately.
The rooms are beautiful. They are clean, nicely furnished and the views are breathtaking. Housekeeping did a wonderful job of maintaining the room and I wish I had gotten her name to mention here.
This is a new resort; I believe it opened in 2010. The grounds are all manicured to perfection. Pools are beautiful and warm. Hot tubs are scattered throughout the facility.
The resort is not in the “jell-o shot zone” as I call it. My idea of a perfect vacation is not putting up with drunken tourists so Villa del Palmar is perfect. If you want to go into town then it is only a taxi ride away.
We did spend one day in town mostly at La Casa de Habano. Any cigar lover needs to make the pilgrimage to this beautiful place. From the outside you will never guess how beautiful it is on the inside. I would never buy “Cuban” cigars anywhere else. The Mojito’s were excellent, the bourbon was served properly and the cigar selection is unequalled.
One day we took the “fast” boat to Isla Mujeres and rented golf carts. It was a great day of exploring the island. One couple in our group is planning to vacation there for a week after seeing how nice the island is.
Food at the resort was excellent. Captain Hector and his staff including: Edwin, Isidro, Rymon and all the rest provided amazing breakfasts and lunches at Zama. At night the Steakhouse was excellent. The big surprise for me was the Japanese restaurant Hiroshi. Elizabeth and another young lady (I again apologize for not getting her name) presented us with a fantastic selection of soft-shelled crabs, Fish Thai, sushi and much more. I am not a connoisseur of sushi but my friends said it was excellent. We ended up eating here three times! Food was very good throughout the property’s many restaurants.
Our group was diverse and all of us are well travelled. This resort is spectacular and the staff is first class. The General Manager obviously knows how to direct a world-class operation.

Room Tip: Choose rooms as close to the ocean as possible for a fantastic view! If you don’t want to do the ti...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank alangt19

Palmdale, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were at Villa Del Palmar Cancun from April 24 to May 1 and had the best time! the hotel is beautiful, staff is so friendly. We own a timeshare that we just purchased at Villa Del Arco Cabo in October (one of UVC timeshares) and for the first time used in in Cancun. Beautiful!! We only had one very bad experience. We were told that we were having a "welcome meeting" two days after we arrived . We attended, and were VERY DISAPPOINTED that they wanted us to upgrade??? WTH? We just bought and would like to see what it was about. When we told them we weren't interested, they brought in someone else. My husband point blank said, "NO!" Very bad on their part! We enjoyed all the restaurants and bars, the best was the Japanese for sushi!! And the Mexican restaurant was good too. At the mexican restaurant (zama) we had the BEST WAITER, his name was Gerardo. He tended to our needs and helped us to pick the best dishes, was such a great person. We ate there 3-4 nights. Just Awesome!!

Room Tip: Building 2 above the 4th floor!! All ocean views!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

#1 of 6 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!