“Great Resort but had Credit Card Charges after the fact”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the resort from February 22 to March 8, 2013 along with the rest of our family. There were four couples and twelve of us in total. Two of the couples with their kids stayed for 1 week and 2 couples stayed for 2 weeks.

The resort was fabulous and the food was amazing. Once a couple of our family members returned home after a week of vacation they were advised by their credit card company that they had charges of approximately $3000.00 on their card from Mexico. The only place they gave their credit card number was at the front desk of the hotel upon check-in. The charges on their card were not from the hotel itself but someone had used the card to book some flights. Their credit card company said they would take care of the charges.

Since there were four of us still at the resort we spoke to the manager at the resort about this but there was nothing that could be done.

Just yesterday (April 20, 2013) we received our credit card statement and to our surprise we had a charge of $1800 on March 28, 2013 from Traveler's Holdings Inc. Again, the only place we used our credit card was at the front desk upon check-in. We called our credit card company and they connected us with this tour company. Apparently someone booked an on-line tour to the Xplor Park in Cancun using our name and credit card information. They even had the security code. We are currently disputing the charge as it was definitely not a transaction that was initiated by us.

With this happening to two out of the four couples it is clear that either someone who works at the hotel is releasing this information fraudulently or that someone is hacking into their network and gaining access to all kinds of personal information.

Hopefully we will not be responsible for the charges but we have had to cancel our card and will continue to follow the dispute resolution steps with the credit card company.

The hotel needs to tighten up their network security and or find the employees responsible for the fraud. This leaves a bad impression of the resort after the fact even though our vacation was lovely.

Room Tip: The higher up the better for a nice view but all rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HollyWinnipeg
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Write a ReviewReviews (4,325)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We just left VDP on 4/17 after being at the resort for one week. I just read several reviews from other guests during these dates. We agree that the property is quite beautiful. However, the location is not good for anyone who wants to leave the property to tour other areas of interest. Unless you are signed up for a package tour of some sort, you will be spending some heavy change on cab fare. The resort "free" shuttle is nice but extremely limited. Therefore, not really an asset. The staff is poorly trained and ill advised on tours, times, meals, reservations, etc. The restaurant reservations were hard to get and as it turns out, they were never full at the times we were told we could not get a reservation. This was a very slow week to have these kinds of problems. The rooms were probably 60% booked. The biggest problem, which I do not see mentioned by anyone that was here on 4/15th and 16th, is that the hot water went out and there was absolutely no water coming out of those faucets for almost 2 days. We checked out the morning of the 17th and the hot water was still not on. No one could tell us why. This was unacceptable for a resort that is only 18 months old. The tap water also smelled like sewage most of the time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Vicki L

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I liked everything about this resort except the food was just average. Also the reservations for the restaurants were mixed up every night we were there. We called at nine clock in the a.m. to make a reservation at a restaurant which was the earliest you could call for that night and they would say all the times they had were six o'clock or 9 o'clock which was really frustrating. The breakfast buffet was good, but they scimped on alot of things for dinner esp steaks. One night we got steak and shrimp and the steak MIGHT have been a quarter of an inch thick..In the steakhouse, the steaks were low quality .. I am from Texas so I did not eat them! I just ate salad alot! The rooms were very nice and the staff was exceptional. We left ther and went toi the Marriott Casa Magna and it blew this resort out of the water!

2  Thank Kay M

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We returned this past Monday from VDP. WHAT A GREAT PLACE!!! I was VERY secptical about going after reading so many poor reviews. But, let me tell you something, those folks did not know what they bought, did not do their research or are just plane NOT HAPPY people!!! VDP Cancun is a beautiful resort (more on that later). We chose American to fly on so we could earn points and arrive earlier in the day. Upon our arrival at the Cancun airport we breezed thru immagration and customs with no hickups. Since I had done my research, I knew to bypass ALL offers from the vendors inside the aiport and proceeded outside where we made contact with our transfer service Best Day Transfers. They immediatley put us with our group and we were off and going in less than 10 minutes. Get a beer on the cart at the transfer station (outside). We didn't but wished we would have. The ride to VDP is 30 minutes tops. You might have to make a couple of stops because of other passenger needs (they do have a route planned). We stopped to let off a couple at the Punta Juarez ferry so that they could go to their vacation on Isla Mujeres. Back to that later. We then proceeded to Villa del Palmar Cancun. We were greeted by the Doorman and he unloaded our bags and gave us stubs for them. Knowing full well that our room would not be ready until 4:00 PM. We had packed a go bag that was in our carry-on (swimsuits, sunscreen etc.). Checked in and was told the room would not be ready until 4:00 PM. No worries! Went over to the Concierges recieved a map of the propoerty and then was asked if we were interested in a Timeshare tour. We politely declined and that was that...never asked again! Went to the pool and began our WONDERFUL vacation! Food was GREAT, service was GREAT, everything was GREAT!!! Tip...don't be a cheapskate and all will be good. No signing for ever drink! Resaurants a EXCELLENT! Not a bad one in the bunch. Entertainment at night was available...go if you want or stay and drink with your new friends...bars stay open late...don't close at 10:00 PM as has been reported. Hot tubs are HOT. Pools are warm. Sun is massive...wear sunscreen and bring a hat. We are water people so we stay from morning until late afternoon. Isla Mujeras was very interesting and the golf cart is the way to go. Take the ferry at the hotel. It's the car ferry, cheap and right there on property. When you get to the island just walk thru the gate at the ferry dock and start following the people. Don't buy a cart at the dock. You have to walk into town to get it anyway.There are plenty of carts in town...haggle! VDP was the way to go...all inclusive was also the way to go. Our Deluxe Garden View Room was WONDERFUL and all we needed (didn't spend much time in it exept to shower and sleep). Overall, I will definately go back to VDP. What a fantastic vacation. OBTW...thanks AA for the extra day in paradise as they cancelled our flight home and put us up at the Omni in the Zone with all inclusive food and transfers back and forth! What a life!!!

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor...right off the stairs. Had a great view of the grounds and easil...
6  Thank DuVal1959

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just returned from Villa Del Palmar Cancun from a 30th bday trip. We also have a 9 year old who stayed at home but I looked at the hotel from a "mom" point of view too. I just wanted to see if it would be a place we could take him. I booked with Cheapcarribean.com. I've booked through them several times and I've never been disappointed with their service. We used the transfer Olympus Tours to get to and from the airport and they were excellent!

I'm just going to go ahead and get the negative things out of the way...
1. The check in took FOREVER. We had been traveling for 10 hours between airports and shuttles to and from the airport. We just wanted to check in, get a drink and some food. Instead, it took us over an hour and part of that was the concierge trying to talk us in to doing a timeshare presentation. I'm from the south and we think a "hard sell" is rude. Hard selling is common practice in other places and I've traveled enough to know that and I was prepared to say "NO". We were only there for four days and didn't want to spend two hours on a timeshare presentation. --The good thing about the long check in process is that it's very thorough. Resorts are so big and it's nice to be told where everything is and when restaurants are open and what they serve.
2. The "signing for everything you get" thing is CRAZY. Some of the bartenders would get really upset with you if you had a little too much to drink and forgot to sign. --The only good thing about signing for everything is tipping. You don't have to take cash with you to tip bartenders and servers. You can just write it in on the slip.
3. Our room was room 2009. (bottom floor) It was right by the sushi restaurant which is right by the lobby. There was a path right by our room and it was apparently the path all of the housekeepers and cooks used at ALL hours of the night. It wasn't that big of a deal for us but if my son had been there, I would have been really mad. I will just ask for a room on the third floor or above if I go back. We stayed in the room with two queen beds (not a suite) and it was fine for my husband and myself on a short stay. If I was staying longer or taking my son, I would get a suite.
4. My mom has a hard time walking and I kept thinking that she would love the resort but it would be really hard for her to get around without a wheelchair (which she will not use). Also, the bathtub would be really hard for an older person to get into.

Ok enough of that... Here is the good stuff... The place was freaking beautiful! It was super clean. Every day the staff cleaned our room and it looked just like it did when we checked in. The flowers and the decorating outside was amazing! Very colorful and unique. The resort is outside the hotel zone in Cancun so it's not a big huge party place. We felt comfortable having fun partying and drinking and making friends from all over. The pools close at 11pm and that was fine with us. By the time you eat and drink in the sun all day, you're out by 11. If not, take your rock star self down to Cancun. There are a million clubs about a 15 minute drive away. Almost everyone on the staff seemed to genuinely like their job. There were a few exceptions but nothing major. The ladies (I forget their names) that work by the infinity pool and on the right side of the beach were my favorite. I told her it was my birthday and she seemed really excited and kept telling me happy birthday when she saw me. I thought the beach was beautiful. They kept it clean and there were always places to sit. Same with the pools and the hot tubs. There were always places to sit and the pools never felt crazy crowded. The infinity pool was our favorite and we spent most of our time in it. But the pool are great. No swim up bar but there are plenty of servers walking around taking drink orders. They even brought us some cold fruit and sorbet during peak hours. We met some really awesome people in the pool and at the bar. People come there from all over the world and it really made our trip more fun. There were some activities set up for people to play (volleyball, bocce ball, pottery painting) and my son (9 years old) would have been all over it. I think he would have really enjoyed the resort. I even saw some athletic looking 12 year old boys having an awesome time painting. There were also ladies there braiding hair (extra charge) and many of the girls got their hair braided. There weren't a million kids running around, but there were a few and there were things for them to do.
Food: My husband is an eater and we have stayed at a resort where the food ruined his stay. Not here, the food was awesome. I have stayed in six other all-inclusives and this was by far the best food. Even in the buffets! Our favorite was the steak house place. It was really unbelievable! We ate breakfast at Davinos and Zama and Davinos was our favorite for the breakfast buffet. We thought they had the best selection. All of the reviews said the Japanese/sushi place was the best, I didn't like it very much. My hubs doesn't eat fish and didn't find anything he liked there.

Tips for when you go:
1. Take sunscreen! Lots! My husband works construction and "doesn't burn"... He burned. I kept 30spf on my face and body (even my legs) the whole time and I came back with a great tan. The sunscreen in the market at the hotel is really expensive.
2. Do the unrestricted all-inclusive. You can eat in all the restaurants on the property and all your drinks and room service are free. Everything is covered except lamb and lobster and fancy wine and something else- i can't remember. The meals on the resort are really really expensive ($40 for two breakfast buffets, $100 for two at the steakhouse drinking one beer) and it would be a pain to get ready, get in a taxi and find a place to eat off the property. It's so nice to leave your wallet in the safe in the room and leave it for a whole week!
3. If you're staying longer than 4 or 5 days, do the timeshare presentation. I'm pretty sure I could have haggled with our concierge (at check-in) and gotten some free excursions. One guy we met said that he got a free five day stay at the resort because he did the tour. (it was the restricted plan but, still!). If my nine year old son had been with us, we would have done an excursion. Just be prepared for a major sales person. Just listen to what they say and at the end tell them it's beautiful but you're not interested.
4. If you don't want to make reservations in the restaurants (or can't because they're full), just go directly to the place you want to eat when you're ready to eat and see if they can let you in. You may have to wait a little while but you can probably get in. You can eat supper at the snack bar by the infinity pool if you can't get in somewhere else.
5. Be patient. These people work hard. If you really feel like they're being rude, just ask them about it. There's no need to get drunk and scream at your server because your food is taking forever. It makes everybody around you uncomfortable and that's no way to speak to another human being.
6. Tip the staff! You just paid over a grand to go on vacation but you don't want to leave the housekeeper a couple of bucks on the bed? Makes no sense to me. We also tipped a dollar or two when we got our bill at the bar and restaurants. A dollar or two goes a long way there. Even if your food bill says $90 (even all-inclusives see the price of the food on the bill), tip two bucks! You don't have to do 20% just give something. We paid 400 pesos (about $40) at checkout for 4 days and I'm totally good with it.
7. Don't get nervous about seeing the prices of everything when you sign. It's ok. They want you to be happy and come back. They're not going to charge you a zillion dollars at the end of your stay. They're good people.

Overall, the negative things were so small that they really didn't affect our stay. If you are 24 years old and looking for a place to party down with your friends, go stay somewhere in the hotel zone. We had a really great time partying there but we are old enough to keep it in control! We've been there and done that with the party resorts. There are no naked college girls running around this place. I would recommend this place to couples (of any age), families, girls trips (not a "guys trip" place). I hope I can go back soon! I'll add pictures later!

6  Thank lindseyclayjaden

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have been home for almost a week and sadly it seems so long ago now! It is definitely a piece of paradise and we were all treated so well, right from the moment we got out of the taxi and were greeted by Lydia and Oscar.

We are Villa Group timeshare owners but have only been to Cabo. We were looking forward to seeing this new resort and it didn't disappoint. Due to its remote location, it was suggested that we may want to try the meal plan for at least 4 days, just to get settled. Worked out great and was a fun experience for us, having never done all inclusive before.

We found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. The towel exchange people [closest to beach] need a bit of help with communications but otherwise most knew what was going on.

Raphael was a good sport and always approachable, as he walked around the pool and beach area answering questions, keeping an eye on things and of course, the goodies and fruit samples he brought around were always a treat! A special thank you to David and Juan who tended to my son's burnt shoulders - these guys are around the pool area in the white shirts and red shorts. Holler if you need any first aid TLC.

Katia and Merley are sweethearts and took good care of us by the pool and Bite Bar. They are on their feet running ALL DAY always checking in to see if we needed anything.

DAVINO'S was probably our fave restaurant. It had a good breakfast buffet, including some fresh made taco pocket type things [sorry - no clue what they are called but very good]. Miguel was always a friendly host in the evenings and everyone went out of their way to give us good service, including an extra chair on a couple of occasions for when my youngest fell asleep! This place is Italian-Mediteranean and has a wide variety of things to chose from - fish, pasta, souvlaki... and the baklava is a must try for dessert!

LA CASONA is the steakhouse. It's good and again, a variety to chose from. The banana caramel crepe is the winning dessert here! The salmon was excellent and my husband enjoyed his steak.

HIROSHI was our other fave. Even if you are not a sushi lover, there is lots to choose from. The beef medallions and the teriyaki chicken were both popular with my non-sushi eaters. The dumplings, which are more like potstickers, are a very tasty appetizer. The Chef Sushi Roll is the ultimate best! The kids thought the deep friend ice cream was a novelty.

ZAMA - was not high on the radar for us - just kind of meh! Really didn't enjoy the buffet the one evening we went. Also had breakfast here one morning, but prefered Davino's. The Bite Bar by pool was better.

SPA - my husband and I went for a couples massage one morning and the spa is such a serene place. The outdoor huts and all the beautiful foliage surrounding it - so unique. Freddy and Alejandra were great massage therapists as was another guy [came to pool] but I can't remember his name.

GYM - has great equipment and you'll find all that you need. It is located below Davino's in the third building so it's a bit of a dungeon walk to get to but serves the purpose.

Monica at concierge is a total gem. She went out of her way to help us, made reservations for us and was a go between when we needed something but front desk didn't understand. Gracias.

This resort has so many great things going for it. We wanted a relaxing trip so it was perfect for us. We knew it was remote and that was perfectly ok.

We did go to Xplor one day [ziplines and underground river caves] as well as Isla Mujeres. On the island we rented a golf cart and it was a fun day. We went to Playa Mexico for lunch, which is next door to the nurse sharks [down from the turtle place] and had the whole place to ourselves. Amazing food and a beautiful beach with hammocks etc. Worth checking out.

There are stand up paddle boards and other activities at the beach, unfortunately is was too windy most days were were there. But do know that there are activities like this available. Also water aerobics and zumba. One thing we quite enjoyed was the ceramics. You can buy an item, paint it and then pick it up the next day after its glazed and touched up. Probably about the same price you'd buy it for at a market but you get the fun of making it yourself!

Our room was beautiful - we were upgraded to a three bedroom oceanfront, with a hot tub on the deck. More than enough room for the 6 of us and the sunrise every morning was amazing to see! I wont go into details because many others have described the rooms.

We will most definitely be back and look forward to seeing the future resorts they are putting in next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mommalou4

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We just return yesterday from our "way too short vacation" at this resort. There are those people that just like to complain on here about the ride to the resort, the staff being slow or the timeshare presentation. Those people would not be happy with anything!!!!

Here is my experience:
*The ride to the hotel is about 30 mins or so...big deal, if you live in a city it takes you 30 mins to get anywhere!!!! Get over it!
*The staff...perfect!!!! Anytime we were at the pool, our wait staff was there within 5 mins to ask what we wanted, we would make our first order, give them a tip upfront and they didn't stop bringing the drinks!!! We only had to sign the ticket when we were ready to leave. The restaurants are amazing!!!! You can make reservations online now before you ever leave for vacation and they email you a confirmation within 48 hours.
*Timeshare presentation; we were asked upon arrival if we were interested in taking advantage of some of their VIP savings by attending a short presentation, we answered no, we were only there for 3 days and just wanted to relax. They said “no problem, if we changed our minds to let them know.”

Now for my tip....the rooms are AMAZING!!!! If you are traveling with just 2 people, you don't really need to upgrade to the suite unless you really just want to spend the money. We had a garden deluxe room and were VERY happy. I don't know about you; but, when I'm on vacation, my hotel room is the last place I want to be. I prefer to take advantage of the great pools and the friends that you meet there. If you have a family and staying for 5-7 days then do the upgrade. Also, take the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Very interesting and it gives you a taste for the culture. We took the car ferry which is right off the resort on the beach. It was 76 pecos for 2 people each way and only took about 30 mins.

Hope this helps and you have as much fun as we did!

8  Thank Diann O

#1 of 7 in Playa Mujeres
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!