“BEST VACAY EVER...bonus, great food options for vegetarians!!”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
st. paul, mn
“BEST VACAY EVER...bonus, great food options for vegetarians!!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Like other reviewers have mentioned...it seems that the negative reviews may be from guest who have purchased a "timeshare deal". Our stay at Villa Del Palmar by far was our best vacation EVER!! We have stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres (loved) and Privelleges Aluxes (liked) on Isla Mujeres. We traveled March 15th-25th, booked a deluxe all inclusive suite thru Expedia. Booked our round trip transfers thru USA transfers, believe it was about $65 plus tip, they were very timely and professional. We arrived at VDP around 830pm and check in took about 10 mins, there were maybe 2 other groups chking in at the same time. If you arrive at a hotel at a busy time of day...it is expected that you may have a long wait time, this happenes every time we travel to Vegas...no biggie for us. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite as our room type was sold out (the hotel was aprox 80% booked while there). A deposite of $3000 pesos was held on our Amex, again no biggie as this seems to be the norm at hotels for incidentals. We were not approached by the "time share" concierge, the next morn we recieved a call letting us know we had a welcome packet, we never went for it and were not bothered about it again. Our room was GORGE!!!! It was exactly like the pictures...we were in room 2702 (bldg 2 floor 7)...AMAZE! We did not have a reservation for din the first night so we grabbed din at the bite bar and were happy to sit in the fresh air after traveling. The next day we were able to make reservations for up to the following 2-3 days. Typically we ate breakfast around 9-10 and only had a few min wait time. Dinner times were usually 630-9 and again only had a few min wait time. Evening entertainment seemed to run from 8pm-930pm...next time I think we will sched din around this. DO NOT worry about the food, it was GREAT! I am a VERY PICKY vegetarian and also suffer form UC. At home we tend to eat at locally owned restuarants and as organic and sustainable as possible. I was worried about finding foods I would like...NOT a problem at all! Davinos for breakfast was good, lots of choices, made to order omelet station fresh juices including green juice, gauva, and grapefruit. Lunch was usually from the bite bar, ceviche with chips...YUM! Dinners at Hiroshi, Davino and La Casona DELICIOUS!!!! As far as the service goes, I have never seen a group of staff more happy to please their guest and hustle! Kuddos to Jose at Davinos and a HUGE SHOUT OUT to Merly, Katia and Rapheal at the beach who took care of us everyday...we actually walked away from them with tears in our eyes on our last day...SUCH AMAZING people! If you can PLEASE PLEASE tip your servers!!! We brought along $900 usd specifically for tipping and were more than happy to tip for the great service we were given. If you are looking for party central...THIS IS NOT THE PLACE to go. Our days were spent relaxing on the beach, painting, or walking the beach. The beach does have seaweed that washes up...not abig deal to us...it is the ocean after all. the resort it self is BEAUTIFUL and very clean. Timeshares: we spoke to a few people who did the presentation and they were fine with it, one couple even made a purchase and said it was one of the better groups they have worked with. I WISH WE would have done it as I am missing VDP and want to be back NOW! We will ABSOLUTLY be returning to VDP and will suggest to all of our friends and family! Thank you again to VDP for the BEST VACAY EVER!!!!! If you have any questions please feel free to pm me ; )

Room Tip: Seems rooms on floors 3 or higher will have a full ocean view. The resort is beautiful so I would im...
10 Thank pickygirlmn
Hotel_Administration, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,495)
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I read many reviews from many websites. There were some recurring themes, and we found some to be true for us, while others were not true for our stay. We did do the all-inclusive, which was a good value, in my opinion. On this trip were me, my husband and my teenage son.

Check in: We had a lovely experience checking in, but I could see that if there was a crowd, it would take a while. Larry helped us check in--fabulous. I later saw him at the desk for another issue, and he was always cheerful and helpful. We were greeted with cold drinks, and while our room wasn't ready, we were sent for lunch. It was ready soon after.

Room: Nicest all-inclusive room we have ever had in Mexico, and we've had plenty. Everything is new and sparking and granite and stainless. We had a one-bedroom oceanview suite which had a separate living area with a Murphy bed and two full bathrooms. Also, there was a full kitchen with pans, pots, coffee service, etc. as well as a washer and dryer. We didn't do laundry and we didn't cook (all-inclusive option), but I could see where it would be great for families with children. Our mini-fridge was stocked daily with drinks and a few snacks, plus we had a coffee set-up in the room which was restocked daily. Only complaint about the room was too much water pressure (sharp needles). It would really hurt on a sunburn. We made up some names for the needle-like pressure, but I can't share as they involve body part names. :) This is a clean forum.

Wind: I have never seen such a windy place in the Cancun area (just a few miles north). I don't know if it is the location or it was just a bad week, but it made laying on the beach difficult on some days. It was like exfoliation from the sand. Things were flying off of buffets, etc., and it wasn't too pleasant to have meals outside. It was also hard for my husband to golf.

Spa: Very nice. I had a great pre-massage relaxation, and Leticia gave me a wonderful massage. My husband had a cold/fever he couldn't shake, so I went to the spa to ask if he could use the steam room. We paid for his use (since he wasn't buying spa services), but they were very accommodating and friendly. It was worth it. A+ to the spa!

Food: The breakfast buffet at Davino's almost always had people waiting for tables in the morning. Our longest wait was 15 minutes, but I just made myself a couple of mimosas. Relax! Once inside the service was good, and breakfast is always my favorite meal in Mexico. There was a lovely lady making empanadas in the back corner. She was super friendly and seemed proud of the food. Thank her! Tip her at the end of your trip! We tried Zama for breakfast one day. It was less crowded, but less variety on the menu. The only issue we had with meals is that you *had* to have a dinner reservation, even if you wanted to go to the buffet at Zama at night. That really requires you to plan ahead. We didn't eat at the steak house, but we liked Davinos and loved the Hiroshi sushi place. We are Asian food snobs, and it was great. The hotel did an amazing job of providing food for snacks/lunch, delivered to your chair by the pool or on the beach by your server. Tip them! There were small pizzas, nachos, hamburgers, etc. All were fast and hot. We did do room service one night. It was fine, delivered right at the time they promised with great service (thanks, George!). Oh, and we had lunch off the menu at Zama, which was amazing. Duck tacos and ceviche and fish tacos. All very high quality. Dinner at Zama was disappointing. Just so-so. All in all, food was good and as I said, I think a good value on the all-inclusive plan.

Service: Amazing. At every turn. We encountered many, many staff members on this trip. I cannot say a bad thing about them. Everyone had a smile, and everyone was helpful. We loved Merly and Mario (pool/beach servers). These people work incredibly hard. Tip them!

Time share: We only had one person ask us if we were interested in attending, and that was when my husband tried to book a golf trip at the concierge. And he offered the time share meeting to us because my husband could get a free round of golf, no pressure at all. That was the only time we heard about it, although we saw tons of people taking tours every day. We had all-inclusive bracelets on, so I don't know if that made a difference.

Signing: Yes, it was a little disconcerting to have to sign a check every time you got a drink or a meal, but we checked our balance at the front desk a couple of times and nothing was charged to our room except spa services, which we expected. After that, we relaxed. Be sure you know what your room includes. They tried to tell me premium beverages were not included, but I had my travel information (booked through Vacations to Go) which stipulated premium beverages. We didn't have to argue; we just pointed it out at check in and they put it in the system.

Beach: Nice. Yes, there is some seaweed. It stinks. But that was only a day or so, and then there was a cleanup. I only saw one cleanup in progress , but after that, it was clean.

Entertainment: Virtually none. There was a Mexican theme night, but it was so windy that we couldn't enjoy it as they hold the entertainment in an open area. Bring games/cards and/or friends!

Complaints: The Wi-Fi is awful. I am self-employed, and I had work to do. I had to take my iPad to the lobby to get a signal. Very frustrating. There is a computer in the lobby you can use, but you have to wait your turn. The very worst thing was the music played at the beach. It was the worst lounge music you can imagine. I know that they are appealing to an older crowd, but they took slow songs and made them slower. Imagine Michael Jackson's Thriller album on low speed. So, so, so bad; I thought I would lose my mind. I am 50, but I was longing for something with a little party feel. That music was depressing. We complained, and we asked them to turn it off. We were told they had to play music. They did turn it down a bit. My two complaints about the resort outweigh all the positive for me. Without the Wi-Fi and with that beach music, I cannot imagine returning. If those things don't matter to you, then it was a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank jyunllc

Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I were nervous about going to this resort because it had several bad reviews but to our surprise this turned out to be a AMAZING resort. The resort itself and rooms are absolutely beautiful ! We upgraded to the garden 1 bedroom suite, and I would ask for as high up as possible so you have a good view. We stayed on level 6 and it was perfect and great view of the ocean. The restaurants are a little slow like we read in the reviews, but we just had a few drinks at the bar while we waited and never once noticed the time. Its Vacation after all, not sure why so many people get upset about that when you should be there to relax!
We had the all inclusive package but still choose to tip all the bartenders and waiters. A couple dollars , sometimes a $5 and we could not have asked for better service . They always remembered us, made our drinks stronger , and were very friendly.
De-vino was our favorite restaurant, hands down. This was a great resort for couples, we will definitely go back.

12 Thank Tina H

Tambor, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a beautiful facility and very nicely laid out, smaller then many I've stayed on but that was a welcome break to walking. it is very private with no hotels on either side, i believe phase 2 & 3 are yet to be built. On the Ferry side it was often noisy during the day with alarms going off, so if you like to sleep during the day ask for the opposite side of the hotel. The auto ferry just to the left of the resort is a great deal at only $3.40 a person to the Isla Mujeres and only 20 minutes or so even though the front desk will try to direct you to the more expensive Ultra Mar ferry a taxi ride away, the Island is a great day trip for cheap if you just want a change of scenery, try a local restaurant or rent a golf cart for an afternoon. We went here twice found the weather warmer, less windy and it rained one day on the resort yet not there. bring a beach towel, massage here was also only $40/hr and was right on the beach and fabulous!! you can go over for just a few hours if you like. a great beach town. It was very windy at the resort when we were there, last week of March. Staff at hotel very nice, all restaurants food was wonderful, yet bring your patience as 20-30 minute waits for a table at breakfast. They need to open up the snack bar during the mornings just to serve coffee/juice and maybe fruit, as there is nowhere to go to just get a coffee unless you wait for a table. Or arrive before 8 am. I am not opposed to tipping for good service but in an all inclusive and with constant service I don't know how often and how much, but since you sign all the bills your bills have prices, so your steak dinner might read $120. us for that meal, and it's part of the all inclusive but does that mean you should tip 12-18 for that meal???? but again great variety and flavor of the food. Beach was rough and full of seaweed our whole week, but wonderful colors. Entertainment staff were fabulous & evening shows nice. NO NIGHT club, or entertainment after the show, one little lobby bar seats 20, it would be nice if there was a little piano bar till midnight?...but there isn't. Captain Hook show was great fun as was the Coba adventure tour we booked both through our tour operator when we arrived, AirTransat...

Room Tip: Away from the Ferry Side, sorry i don't know which direction that is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Amelia M

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Got back last night from 8 days atVilla del Palma. On Day 6 I was struck with "Montezuma's Revenge" and so sick for the next 3 days that we drove straight to an Urgent Care after getting off the plane. The doctor believes it was from ice in one of the few drinks I had. While this could happen anywhere, it certainly skewed my view of the vacation.
Facilities: A
Beautiful hotel, pools, beaches & restaurants.
Service: F
This was a circus. Everything was a hassle; nothing was easy. We had pre- booked reservations & still had to show printed confirmation numbers. Our dinner res were for 7 each night. It was easily 8:30 before we were served food. Our kids routinely fell asleep at the table. Until we just started ordering the 5 items that are offered for room service, which they enjoyed more anyway.
One day I went to a bar to order a drink. There were 6 employees behind the bar. There were 9 customers at the bar. It too 15 minutes to get that drink.
The employees/ servers were very nice but seemed poorly trained, and flustered, usually asking each other what the heck they were supposed to be doing.
Restaurants:
Hiroshi: excellent sushi. Outrageous wait time for food. No part of our 4 person order came out on time so we ate in shifts. We did not go back.

Zama: decent buffet for breakfast. The dinner buffet food was very poor but it was not waiter service so we brought the kids there for sake of sanity.

Davino's: very good food . Decent service. Again there were many people turned away at the door who thought they had a reservation but did not bring it in writing.

Steakhouse:The best food & service, in my opinion. What I couldn't understand on our 2 nights there was that approx 8 of 20 tables were empty and they were turning people away. ?

For Kids: each day they had pottery painting and hair braiding- each at a cost-which is very popular. The kids club really catered to the under 5 kids and closed at 5, so no chance of getting dinner alone with your spouse.

Weather: apparently there is a good deal of wind at this part of the island. The wind howled 20-30 mph almost every day. I was it aware of that before we left.

Misc:
The shower water was warm, never hot, & had a peculiar odor.
There are no in-room movie rentals available, which meant many very early nights for us.
The market to buy incidentals was extremely limited.

Would I recommend Villa del Palmar? No.
Would I return? Not even to get out of this hospital bed.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Nickyrichy
Hotel_Administration, Lucy Ruiz at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Nickyrichy,

First of all, we want to thank you for taking the time to write this review and at the same time we sorry to learn you got sick.

Villa del Palmar is committed to deliver the most higienic and safe enviroment to their guests, so its our main concern asking you for a copy of your analisis in order to find where the problem came. We are confident that this is an isolated case but still very important for us.

Please feel free to write or send any document to Juan Carlos González, he is our Quality Manager, jgonzalez@villagroup.com

Sincerely
Lucy Ruiz
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked an all inclusive week at VDP Cancun due to the fact that the price was right and it is a relatively new property. We are an older middle-aged couple, parents, grandparents and great grand- parents so don't get me wrong, we do love children. However, we were unprepared for the enormous number of very young children at this resort. Not older kids (of which there were hundreds) but the huge number of babies, toddles and preschoolers. For the most part it wasn't too bad but we did not have one relaxing meal due to the sheer number of kids running around the restaurants and the noise of crying babies and jabbering children.
We booked via Transat Holidays but Transat subbed it out to CanJet. The 737 planes are cramped and uncomfortable and the flight was the roughest for turbulence we have ever experienced in over 45 years of travelling. Upon arrival in Cancun we were whisked to the main terminal via bus. The customs and immigration process is like being in a cattle car. Thousands of travelers pushing and shoving their way through the lines. Very annoying. After picking up your luggage you have to put it through another X Ray detection device before exiting the building. The Transit rep was nowhere to be seen and when we finally located him, he made us stand and wait for over an hour in the hot sun until our transportation was available. Two cervesas from the little bar set us back $13 US. The trip to this resort took over an hour in a hot cab, with hardly a breath of AC, over some bumpy roads. The driver was "loco" and dodged in and out of traffic. One passenger got ill between the turbulent flight, the cab ride etc. We had to let off several passengers before we got underway to VDP.
We were impressed by the exterior as we drove up but I felt the length of time we were stopped at the security gate was a bit excessive. We entered the lobby to absolute chaos. Children running around, screaming, people shouting and a very long line at reception. We waited an hour and twenty minutes to get to the desk. Once there the young man who began to serve us then excused himself and began to assist a colleague to find the lost reservations of a couple with several little children. We were left to stand there for another 15 or so minutes. By then we were exhausted. It had been an early departure and we had been up since 2 AM AST. Cancun is on CST. Once checked in, we were asked to swipe our credit card. This made us a little nervous as we were on an all inclusive, but other folks on TripAdvisor mentioned this fact and we didn't let it bother us. Then were were told our room wasn't ready, to return at 3 PM. After being in the line for nearly 2 hours at this point we were tired but decided not to let it bother us and went to have lunch. We went to Zamas and were waited on by the charming and kind Isidro. From then on, every time we went to Zama's we requested to sit in Isidro's section. He is a wonderful waiter, suggesting menu selections and always ready with a joke. At 3 PM we returned to the desk, waited ANOTHER 20-25 minutes to be told that our room would be ready in "maybe" half an hour. We then met with our "concierge" (translation: time-share flogger) However, we just said we were really tired and would see what our room was like before making a commitment to do a time share presentation. We were never asked again about time shares. At nearly 4 PM we again approached the desk to be told rather snottily by one person that "check in time is 4 PM" My husband was very tired and asked if there was another room. There was and we took it even though it was on the ground floor. We were not disappointed in our room as the ground floor rooms have a little gate on the balcony so you can easily go back and forth to your room from the pool if you want to. I then started to make restaurant reservations. The first two evenings were late ones around 8:30, however we went a little early and always got in a bit earlier than that. The rest of the reservations I made all at once and got 6:30 every night. The restaurants and the food are all A-1 in our opinion. The tenderloin at Casona was the best steak we have ever had outside of Canada or the USA. The tempura shrimp at Hiroshi were delicious, the Angus steak at Hiroshi was wonderful. The dinners at Davino's were very nice ( our waiter was Adriano- wonderful!) and the lunches at Zamas and the Bite bar were all great. Our biggest complaint about the restaurants is that there are not enough of them for the sheer numbers of guests in this resort. Making people with little preschool kids wait until 8 or 9 at night for supper creates a restaurant full of tired,cranky kids and the noise level was deafening. Lovely restaurants but NOT relaxing as there were so many children running around. Davino's was extremely loud, Casona not as loud but still not relaxing. We had room service once and it was quick and the food was great. Also pool side service was good, servers not always there but they worked hard and were around often enough.
Another kid related complaint is that this resort does nothing to enforce the age restrictions around the pools and hot tubs. Hot tubs state users need to be 16 to use them but while having lunch in Zamas we got to watch 7 and 8 year old kids cannon balling into the hot tub right beside our table. Obviously, we never got to enjoy the hot tubs. We used the large hot pool one day but again, a ten year old was swimming around in it with a mask and snorkel. Very annoying.There is one pool that is supposed to be the adult pool ( elliptical shaped one) but it always had kids in it. Most of the kids were fine and presented no problem ( they had the good parents) but there were enough really noisy and annoying ones to take this place off a repeat visit list. That, and the excessively long time waiting at check in and the long wait to get our room.
Our room was a beautiful one bedroom suite. Quite the nicest room in any all inclusive we have stayed in. However, the washer and dryer were positioned side-on in the laundry closet, the dishwasher was not screwed to the underside of the counter. We didn't use any of the appliances but I would be nervous to as they weren't installed properly. The mini bar was restocked most days with pop, water and beer and snacks. One day it wasn't serviced but we called and they showed up quickly. The other thing we had to ask for nearly daily was wash cloths. ( "Toalittas") Never a problem to get them but we had to ask. The water in the shower has a heavy sulfurous smell. It is not a sewage smell as some people have reported, but is quite strong and smelly. The beach is not nice, narrow and covered in seaweed. They do try to clear it but this beach is too heavily covered in weed. At one end the smell of rotting seaweed is nauseating. We did not enjoy walks on the beach like we do in the DR. Disappointing.
We were also disappointed in the weather. We know the hotel can not help the weather but this part of Mexico is in an area where bad weather seems to stall. The weather was nice on the first day there and then it was overcast, rainy and COLD for three days. There is also a strong wind at all times here. We didn't mind it much as wind keeps bugs away. Never saw one bug the whole time we were there. Saw lots of little lizards, but no bugs! We went to the Mall of the Americas one day. We found it to be very Americanized with high prices. The next day we went to the Market 28. Got all our souvenirs and had fun. The hotel runs a shuttle. They will pick you up 3 hrs after they drop you off. Book via the concierge desk. One day we went to Chichen Itza. This is a longer trip ( about 2.5 hrs each way) but well worth it. The weather in-land was very hot and sunny and we had a great time there. Big comfy bus and a tour guide made it an interesting day.You book tours via the resort's travel agency located behind Casona. There looked to be lots of interesting things to do off resort. Check out was quick and easy ( probably because it was 6 AM and there were not many people around!) Transportation to the airport was quick and easy but be careful of the scales once you get there! We got scammed for 30 bucks as they claimed our luggage was 2 kg overweight. We have a travel scale and made sure our luggage was at least 2 kg UNDER. I think they have all the scales set up to read higher, so we will remember that if we ever go back to Mexico! All in all, VDP was a nice newer property, very clean,very comfortable beds,nice big suites.They have great staff, everyone was nice ( we only encountered the one rather rude guy at the desk on arrival) and we tried to greet everyone with a HOLA and tipped generously. If you have little kids and you want to be around lots of other families with little kids this is the place for you. If you crave more peace and tranquility this may not be it.

7 Thank nsjetsetters

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I recently traveled to Cancun for our 35th anniversary, and had a fantastic time at VDP. We have travelled rather extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, and our stay at VDP Cancun was one of the very best we have experienced. Our 1 bdr suite was gorgeous, perhaps the nicest room we have ever had. I had the best nap of my life in that hammock on the balcony the first day! The food in the restaurants was excellent, with a wide variety of choices from authentic Mexican to sushi. The grounds, pool, hot tubs, and beach were fantastic. Above all, the staff was superb! Ismael and Elberto at the Tiki Bar were the highlight of our trip - they not only provided excellent service, but were genuinely fun to be with. I wish every resort had employees as good as these guys! We are looking forward to our next trip back to VDP Cancun, where we can hang out at the Tiki Bar with our toes in the sand, meeting new friends, and enjoying a cool drink handed to us by the best pair of bartenders in Mexico!

For us, the only downside is the timeshare sales pitch. I understand that it's part of the deal, and the salespeople are very nice, but I just tire of spending time out of my vacation going through the presentation. All in all, it is worth it though. A little inconvenience to an otherwise wonderful experience. If you don't mind taking an hour or two for a sales pitch, I would highly recommend a trip to VDP Cancun.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an ocean view, so no worries. Upgrade to a 1br/2bath suite if you can. Plenty o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

#1 of 6 in Playa Mujeres
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!