“Gorgeous large hotel with gourmet restaurants, four beautiful pools, great gym, good drinks, and nice beach”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Villa del Palmar is a brand new 5-star all-inclusive resort north of the Cancun hotel zone in a less developed area. It is gorgeous large hotel with gourmet restaurants, four beautiful pools, great gym, good drinks, and nice beach. A beautiful place (day and night) to relax with few activities although they can arrange all the many excursions that Cancun has and they offer free shuttles for shopping runs to Cancun. A fun less expensive adventure awaits you at Isla Mujeras. Villa del Palmar is located next to the car ferry to Isla Mujeres. A 45-minute ferry ride takes you to Playa Norte, one of the loveliest beaches in the Caribbean with open-air beach bars to idle the day away meeting other travelers from around the world. Great snorkeling trips can be arranged on Isla Mujeres or you can rent a golf cart and explore this beautiful 4-mile long island.

12 Thank WayneDunlap
Hotel_Administration, Guest Relations Manager at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,526)
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Very Nice place to good for relaxing and have a good time with out going anywhere they have everything good restaurants very good bars made alots of friends but the best thing about this place is the Tiki bar right on the beach my friend Andres Gozales is the best he made me fill very welcome and made me the best drinks so i will recomend this to all my friends and family i can't wait to go back...

5 Thank MauricioCarneiro

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just returned from a lovely holiday with my family. We originally booked 3 ocean veiw rooms which from the discription had 2 beds with a kitchenette. At check in I asked for a king size bed he looked and upgraded all our rooms to 1 bedroom suites at no charge (this really helped my son who has 2 kids). These rooms are truely beautiful the bedroom has a king size bed with a jucuzzi and separate shower, a living room with a murphy bed and a dining room with full kitchen. There is a nice view from all the balconies of the pools and inner grounds. The ocean view improves on higher floors, because its a horseshoe it gets better towards the ends but can been seen from all rooms. The service around the pools was hit and miss (some servers where better than others and seem to rotate as we sat in the same area everytime we were at the pool and had a different one everyday). So you adapt and order more than one drink if they were alittle slow. Tipping which we did regularly didnt seem to improve service as you still had to waive them down occationally. The pools were very nice and lots of them some smaller but all nice and clean. For lounge chairs around the larger pool near the mexican restaurant you had to put towels out by around 10 am as it was the most used. The ocean was alittle murky but cleared up as you when out farther also it didnt drop off so good for kids. The sand where the lounge chairs were was very nice and groomed each day. There was some kind of grassy weed washing up on the beach but was claened up each day. All in all the pools and beach were quite enjoyable with no problem finding lounge chairs unless you wanted a specific spot. The buffet was ok with service alittle slow in the morning. If you didnt flag a waiter down you could sit unnoticed waiting for coffee, Breakfast was great with a good selection, Dinner was more than ok with enough selection for all to eat. We never had lunch at the buffet but ordered off a menu at pool side. There were only 2 al cart restaurants( I think there were more advertized) 1 mexican and 1 italian. We ate at both and had lovely meals. If you want to reserve do it one day early and you will have no problem. The only thing I missed was special coffee after dinner, they didnt seem to understand what one was? If you didnt feel like going out room service was availlable 24- 7 for food or drink (my daugher stayed in at nights with the kids and had meals with wine, hard drinks, beer you name it they dilivered it no charge. even premium brands as gray goose vodka, johnny walkers black label scotch etc) The resort is alittle out of town which never bothered me, If you wanted you could take a free shuttle to cancun(you had to reserve the day before) or take a taxi for 15- 20 dollars. The resort is in walking distance to the ferry to isla mujeres which is a nice day trip for shopping and snorkling beaches. The only thing if you have no car you rent golf carts or scooters to get around( we rented a golf cart for around 50 dollars for half a day as we got there at noon).
The cons they need to improve service pool side and in the restaurants. The resort is alittle out of town which never bothered me but you could take a free shuttle to cancun, all you had to do was reserve the day before.
All in all a solid 4 to 4.5 star resort with a friendly hard working staff who try hard to please and make your holiday special.

Room Tip: the higher floors have better views of the ocean. hope you get upgraded< not sure if this was a p...
10 Thank johnhil

Reviewed March 4, 2012

My hubby and I choose this hotel based on good reviews. The resort is beautiful and so was our room. Which made it all the more sad. The japanese restaurant is not even open yet. And you have to make reservations for the other two. One is a buffet and its like any other cafeteria food. And one is a little hut with a grill it has only a few tables which was always packed we did not even get to eat there. ! They do have pool side service which was nice. But get ready to wait. Lots of waiting!! We waited an hour or more for our food everywhere we ate except the buffet of coarse. They are new and under staffed so think about it. I'm the cook in my family so eating is a big part of vacation for me and waiting and waiting and waiting for your food was a huge disappointment. And one more thing this resort is on the bay side away from the hotel zone. The water is not turoquoise in the bay. You have to look out at the ocean or take the ferry to see that beautiful turoquoise water!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Jacideanna

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Oh my god. What a beautiful resort. To those that wrote a terrible review on this place SHAME ON YOU.I took my whole family. Just got back and we will be coming back. The age range was 5 to 50. When we arrived our check in was great and when my I wanted a one bedroom suite, there was no problem. The rooms are stunning. Right from day one the people that work here bent over backwards for us. My little grandson got sunstroke and my daughter spent the day in her room and room service was very accomidating. What ever she or my grandson wanted. they got. The kids club was fabulose. The little one loved it and the pool with shooting water guns and the colorful rotating ball.The food was great right from the buffet. to the restaurants. There a hugh variety for everyone. I had the pleasure of meeting the general manager and what a beautiful man. He truly cares what goes on with his resort. Right down to his staff and the people that have the pleasure to stay here.The activity hut had a numorous things todo. Water excercise, yoga. volley ball and do play bingo. We had too much fun with louis. He is a real sweety.All the non motorist things were included.If you want something to do , It is there.The concierise is very helpful. Again Do go to this place and you will have a beautiful holiday . Sincerely Helen.

7 Thank helenhildebrand

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Villa del Palmar. We stayed Feb 26 - March 1, 2012. The resort is beautiful and our room was very nice, as we were upgraded to a suite upon arrival.

Pros - Room was very nice, staff was friendly, atmosphere was low-key.

Cons - Food was a bit boring and there were not a lot of choices with restaurants. However, we were a bit cautious with our food selections, as my husband became very sick after eating the grouper from the room service menu on our first night. It also took 2 hours for the room service to arrive. Service was generally pretty poor. We had to wait quite a while for drinks, etc. - not sure that tipping made much of a difference. It didn't bother us too much, as we were just there to relax and enjoy the sun and pool and we were never in a hurry. However, if you have expectations of your drink being replenished the second it is empty, this is surely not the place for you.

After you check-in they'll say you need to speak to the concierge...just skip it all together as it is a waste of time and only a sales pitch for the time share. They did not provide us any additional value or insight about the hotel. Although, she told us she would be our "best friend" during our stay, we never heard from her again after we declined the time share opportunity.

Conclusion: Overall we had a good time, despite food quality and the sickness. Our goal of this vaca was just to relax, do thing and soak up the sun. Villa del Palmar helped us achieve this.

5 Thank Anne S

Carlton, Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Let me start by saying that I researched the heck out of this vacation. I wanted to make sure my family had a great time. Despite some of the bad reviews, we read and focused on what was good. Well other than the newness of the resort there wasn't much good. Here is the short of it, 1. We had an empty fridge on check in, no water for the kids, no soda, no beer, no snacks...like promised as part of the package. We called down to report this and then went to pool. came came 3 hours later to put kids to bed.....still nothing. PLUS, now we discover that the kids have no linens on their murphy bed.
2. I decide to get the kids a bath in the tub while we wait for drinks and linens, turn on the faucet to the jacuzzi tub and sewage came out into the tub....no kidding sewage...particles of toilet paper and all!!
3. The next morning we were signed up for their timeshare presentation and we feeling the need to share our experiences so far to someone who was asking his staff to sell shares in this place.....they truly don't care. The son of the hotel owner was even their and nothing was done about it. The time share people kept telling me I buy a special marketing week 4 day vacation and I told them WE DID NOT, we purchased 7 nights no special marketing package and we voluntarily came to this presentation.
4. This supposedly all inclusive property makes you sign at check at every meal and every bar order. Then when you try and take your customer copy they say they cant give it to you its their policy. I had a very rude waiter tell me he would not give it to me. I went and got my male significant other off the beach to handle him. So after fighting with their staff that doesn't seem trust worthy about wanting our receipts for our records at check out, we still didn't get anywhere. OH AND BY THE WAY HERE IS THE KICKER...WHEN YOU CHECK IN EVEN IF YOU PREPAID AN ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE THEY ARE FOR A CREDIT CARD AND CHARGE $250.00. WHEN WE CHECKED OUT I ASKED FOR A RECEIPT SHOWING THAT 250 WAS REVERSED BACK TO MY CARD AND ISMAL THE FRONT DESK WORKER TOLD ME IT WAS NEVER CHARGED. TODAY I GOT ONLINE TO FIND OUT THEY CHARGE MY CARD 240.98 FOR SOMETHING. I CALLED THERE 800 NUMBER AND GOT A OFFICE IN SAN DIEGO, HE GAVE ME A BOGUS MEXICAN NUMBER AND NOW I'M WORKING WITH VISA TO GET MY MONEY BACK!!!! HORRIBLE PLACE.

Ive been to Cancun three times, my favorite by far is Beach Palace. Not huge place but food and service is outstanding plus you can go to other palace properties.....its expensive but in my book worth it.

Room Tip: really dont stay here their are no good rooms
19 Thank Steph A

Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!