Beloved Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
$432
Beloved Hotels
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
$464
Finest Resorts
$440
Excellence Resorts
  • Breakfast included
$352
$409
Bookit.com
Sea by C - Adults Only(Playa Mujeres)
$100
Hotels.com
$153
  • Breakfast included
$20
  • Room Service
$40
4,640 results
All reviewsbite barone bedroom suitevilla groupcar ferrytime sharefast ferryzama restaurantall inclusive packagemurphy bedall inclusive planferry to isla mujeresfull kitchenwasher dryerper devicetimeshare presentationsushihammock on the balcony
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I am a member of the Villa Palmar group and normally stay at Villa Palmar Flamingos in Puerto Vallarta. This year we decided to try Cancun. The resort certainly has some kinks to work out as far as food service goes as many people mentioned as a result I did not purchase the all inclusive for the last few days of the trip as I normally do. However, I must say that the resort was wonderful and Manuel the concierge was incredible. He went above and beyond to help us out. He recommended a fantastic tour guide for a group of seven plus my grand-daughter to Chichen Itza and Tulum. My grand-daughter, who is almost 2 dislocated her elbow, pulling away from her father. I saw the general manager in the lobby and he had a Doctor in our room within 15 minutes who escorted us to the emergency room at AmeriMed my granddaughter was perfectly fine within an hour and we went to Isla Mujeres as planned for the day. I plan on retuning next year and if the food service situation is improved as I anticipate I will be I will purchase all inclusive for the last 3 days.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Hotel_Administration, Guest Relations Manager at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having take the time to write a review on our property. We have implemented a response system where each of the comments will be answered within 48 hours.

We are also providing a special phone number and direct access to our General Manager 24/7 for any guest satisfaction issue. Additionally, we have created a guest relations desk in the lobby of our hotel to attend any issues and transform experiences from negative to positives.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

This review is based on a family vacation, 12/31/11 to 1/5/12. We have four adult children, and we were on an all-inclusive trip, and stayed in a beautiful and huge two-bedroom suite with a spectacular balcony overlooking the pools and restaurants. Other reviews have noted construction, which is ongoing along the southside of the property, but we never noticed any noise from that.

I'll start with the basics - the property is absolutely gorgeous, the landscaping is to die for, the rooms are spacious, and the staff really do try hard. The beach is better than previous reviewers have noted - they now rake the beach at least twice a day, but there's always a little bit of seaweed and once you get in the water it is just naturally rocky. Plenty of nice pools and hot tubs, activities staff were outgoing and fun, and the place is very safe and inviting.

The check-in process definitely leaves something to be desired, and it really does take an hour. You will not get room keys or towel cards until you talk to a concierge whose main mission is to get you to a sales presentation, so be prepared for that. The enticement for the sales presentation if you're staying there is a VIP card that gives you discounts at the market, spa, etc. We did not find the sales presentation all that bad, but I've been through them before and kind of knew what to expect. Persistent, but not in your face high pressure.

The biggest issue with Villa del Palmar is the food. As other reviewers have noted, it just isn't very good. Breakfast is okay, and then it goes seriously downhill from there. There were three restaurants open during our stay (a fourth, a Japanese sushi bar, was scheduled to open in early January, 2012). La Casona is the "nice" restaurant, and fortunately the buffet there was expansive enough that you could find something tolerable. The menu option of that restaurant was better, but still not anywhere near worth the prices they charge. The Italian restaurant is a buffet with a make-your-own pizza bar, and was disappointing (the lasagna had big chunks of potato in it - seriously). Zama, the other restaurant, was more Mexican/American, and quite frankly you can probably do better at your local Mexican diner. We had a big problem with lunch service there, because that restaurant also has to serve all the pool areas.

Special events were spotty - the New Year's Eve bash was frankly awesome, with a fantastic lobster and steak dinner and a really good band. The "Mexican Fiesta" was just the buffet with a mariachi band - not exactly inspirational.

Room service, housekeeping, concierge, and bell staff were all very prompt and helpful, especially if you tip even a little bit. No complaints in any of those areas at all. We had no trouble getting drinks at any of the bars, even when crowded and late at night, and this is for a family of six. Bartenders were a lot of fun to talk to if you know a little bit of Spanish.

Bottom line - if you're on an all-inclusive and food matters, this is probably a 3 out of 5. If food is just food (which it mostly is for us), then its a 4 out of 5. If you're cooking in one of the units, that might just be the best way to go.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side back up to construction - go for rooms that start with 1 or 2 to avoid.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank melbyed

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Rooms were great, beautiful, spacious, quiet, marble floor very confortable king bed. Big TV with cable.
Beach is nice, no problem getting chairs. Water is calmer (no big wawes like other hotel on the strip)
Tend to be very quiet at night, no entertainement...(except for 31 Dec)
Need taxi to go on the strip were all the activity is at.
As for construction is was stopped for new year (30 Dec-02 Jan) so not a problem for us.
Food: breakfast need improvement bacon was not always available and long wait at egg station.
Lunch and diner you need to be patient with slow service but hey you are on vacation ;-)
Need faster free wifi internet access (now cost $10. pe day and slow).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CaptnFlex

Reviewed January 6, 2012

let me start by saying along with everyone else, the property is amazing! very well appointed rooms. we had a 1 bed suite on the 5th floor. the views were awesome! the hammock is nice to swing away the day.food sucked, everywhere, we have stayed at lots of ai. this was by far the worst food ever. and we can live on chips and salsa. we dont expect much. but what we had was poor quality and cold 9 times out of 10. 24 hr room service... always cold when it got there. the minibar was to be refreshed daily, only happened once, and he came at 9pm!
drink service by the pool? hahaha, waved and waved when we did see a waiter, not one time did they take 20 extra steps to take an order.drink quality was low, not measured for sure, and be sure to get a styrofoam cup... i know environmentaly irresponsible, but i did not see hot water or soap, they would take the plastic glass, quick rinse and pour a drink..yuk!take the ferry across to the island... we cabbed it to the fast ferry toured around in a golf cart, ate at brisas right on main.... awesome food..cheep beer. there is nothing to do at this resort, we will not return.

Room Tip: the suites are high end. very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank lenardobc

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Yes the property is beautiful, but that's about as far as it goes. The service at this resort is TERRIBLE. I'm sad that I chose this resort to take my parents to for their 60th birthdays. Where do I start. We got to the resort early and check in was at 3. No problem I understand that. But when we went back to get keys at 2:55 they told us it would be another 20 minutes. O.k. We went back at 3:35 for keys and then they told me another 30 minutes. I had been awake for 27 hours by this time. I had to cause a scene in the lobby to be able to get into our room.
The mini bar that was free and included with our all inclusive cost was supposed to be refilled daily. I had to call to even get them to come and fill our fridge with stuff and more than once. I called another day and they brought nothing. Called the next day and waited hours nothing. Then called/went to the lobby and asked multiple times. My favorite comment was "We'll see if the mini bar manager feels like doing it" Excuse me, I've paid for this service! Somebody from lobby staff had to do that persons job.
Also, unlike every other all inclusive I've ever been to, you have to give them your room number and sign a check at the end of every meal... buffet and all. Usually you have to wait FOREVER to get somebody to bring you your check. I'm used to island time, and this was beyond ridiculous. Also good luck getting any water or coffee with your breakfast at the breakfast buffet in the morning.
Even though we were told one of the restaurants opened at 11 for lunch they really didn't open until 12. This gave us only 45 minutes before having to leave for a snorkeling trip. We ordered things that would be quick. A sandwich and a hotdog. Needless to say our worthless server Santiago never brought those 2 items. My dad who is diabetic never got his hotdog. This is completely unacceptable. Also good luck getting items to eat at the snack bar it takes forever. So my dad had to go snorkeling on an empty stomach and the water was a bit rough that day. Needless to say he ended up seasick. Not the type of birthday experience I was wanting him to have.
Also the water her reeks of sulfur. I know what sulfur smells like I've been in sulfur hot springs in New Zealand. Thank goodness that was by choice. They warned in New Zealand not to wear any jewelry in the springs. I still had a silver toe ring on and know how it tarnishes. I was wearing a necklace in the tub and it did the same thing. Ridiculous they don't have some type of filtration system for that. My favorite though is the sales guy who tried to tell us that it was just from the pipes. We're not idiots, but thanks for lying to us.
We booked a couple of tours through the travel agency there. Somehow they got our name completely wrong and it's a good thing I double checked with the tour guy or we would have missed our tour! I like Cancun and will go back some time, but will stay far far away from this place!
The only good service we got was on New Years Eve from Alejandro and also at the small bar outside of La Casona from Elbert. Other than that good luck eating or drinking here!
Also let me add the breakfast buffet was the exact same thing EVERY morning, so boring. The Mexican Fiesta buffet night ran out of food and I barely got anything to eat. The food was not so great here either.
We heard lots of other complaints from other patrons. Seriously, don't waste your money here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family