“Immaculate Location for my Wedding at La Amada”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We booked our travel through www.destinationweddings.com and had pre-arranged airport transfers through American Express Travel. From the moment we stepped foot out of the airport we knew exactly what to look for in order not to get distracted, which was extremely helpful. When we found the American Express guides they asked where we were going. When we said, "La Amada in Playa Mujeres" every one of them stopped in their tracks and looked at us saying, "you will love it. That is the best property you could've chosen." We automatically knew we made the right choice.

If you are worried about safety this area is the best possible place you could choose. Formerly a jungle, La Amada is shared with the Excellence Playa Mujeres, where we transferred for our honeymoon. There are three security check points you must go through with security guards in full gear, including weapons. The shuttle driver told us they are very strict on who is let in. I felt extremely safe.

From the moment we pulled up to La Amada we were greeted with warm and welcoming smiles, cold towels and a glass of champagne. Roberto at the front desk was very helpful with information as we did have a bit of a schedule to meet with the fabulous wedding coordinator, Nayeli.

We were escorted to our room and he showed us everything the room had to offer with explanations and to answer any questions we had about the property. The rooms are fabulous! They are extremely generous in terms of space, the layout is wonderful, the showers are FANTASTIC and the view of the impecable grounds is breath taking.

As our wedding guests were checking in they would let me know each time, which to me was very helpful and shows the level of customer service that is provided.

The food was very good. I am blessed to live in a big city with many spectacular options for dining and typically some places are disspointing on the quality and taste of food as we are acustom to but La Amada is wonderful.
There are only two restaurants but the options are tasty and we mixed it up a couple of times eating the brunch in the morning- with complimentary mimosas and bloody marys (big PLUS) and eating an early dinner at Isla Grill.
You HAVE to try the Guacamole at Isla Grill!!!

This hotel was absolutely perfect for our wedding. We had 15 people and the best part to me was having no problems finding your guests to hang out by the beach, eat lunch, go to the Lupita Lounge at night. If we would've been in a larger resort it would've been impossible to do that. On terms of activities, all of our group took a ferry ride to Isla Mujeres and we had a blast. It's much cheaper over there in terms of food and drinks. Playa de Norte beach is breathtaking. We rented golf carts and toured the whole island and stopped off for souveniers as well. My husband and I even went back a second time by ourselves and ate at their local market. Definitely a must to head to the island for fun.

All of our guests were extremely impressed with our choice for our wedding just as we were.
We had our wedding 10-10-10 on the beach and it was perfect. The weather was great! They work very hard to keep the seaweed as controlled as possible. The beach is fabulous so don't let that deter you.
We had dinner at Aroma Grill afterwards and we had a pre set menu for our guests to choose from. Most chose the filet and it did NOT dissapoint.
We then went to the beach for our beach bonfire reception with limited open bar and a mariachi band. They provided marshmallows they roasted for us over the fire. It was the most memorable experience of our lives.

We then transferred to Excellence Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon. La Amada was much better in terms of quality of food and personalized service... the rooms and closets are even bigger at La Amada. For the difference we paid per night I don't think we got our money worth but still had a fabulous time at Excellence as well.

La Amada is a hidden gem so if you're looking for a perfect getaway leaving all troubles behind, GO! You will not be disappointed.

Spa is fabulous. I did a massage and pedicure. the Hydro therapy treatment is a very unique and relaxing experience as well.

We cannot wait to return next year!!!! I think the time of year we chose was perfect. Mid 80's.

1  Thank andream
Write a ReviewReviews (3,824)

Reviewed November 7, 2010

We came upon the hotel by accident. We had been staying at the Excellence Cancun but after 7 days of complaining about the damp & dirty rooms etc we were asked to leave. The Excellence thought we would like La Amada better so off we went. As soon as we walked into reception it recieved a wow from all 3 of us. We were in a different world. The rooms are fabulous, the grounds neat & tidy and the food was outstanding. The chef, the kitchen staff and the waiting staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable whilst serving the best food in Cancun. We all looked forward to breakfast, lunch ,and diner unlike our last hotel.
We did visit the spa which is lovely however my treatment was lost in translation, so instead of recieving a body massage I was given a medieval torture treatment (supposed to make you slimmer) after a few cocktails later on we all found it very funny so no harm done.
The only down side is that it is along way to Cancun for shopping or going to bars, it would be nie if the hotel could organise a shuttle service even if they charged a nominal amount I am sure it would be popular.
We cannot wait to return.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

The service at La Amada hotel was impeccable. I had the good fortune of meeting the beach concierge, Ernesto, in his "office", - the beach, as he would comb the beach greeting all the guests with his big smile and friendly demeanor. We have a plan upon my return to La Amada, to hoop it up one evening at his basketball game outside the hotel. Thank you Yola for the double Mojito's. Juan Garcia, the chef was so hospitable that he prepared special meals for us upon request. He did it all with a smile. When you combine the friendly service with the privacy of each cassita/room you have the ingredients for a relaxing stay. The spa and massages were incredible especially after a grueling workout at the fitness center. I strongly recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Our stay at La Amada for four days was the best vacation we have had in years and truly restorative. This is an amazing hotel, run by amazing people who truly do make you feel "beloved", from the cold towel and glass of champagne at check in to the sad faces when you leave.

The resort seeks to exceed your expectations by anticipating your needs and fulfilling them, often before you are even aware of what they are. Not only are they often 100% on target, they manage to do this without hesitation or the pretentiousness often found in other high end resorts. Everything here is down to earth, kind, genuine and gracious. It is extraordinary.

This is not the place to go for nightlife/partying/excitement. We came for rest, relaxation and stress management, and it was exactly what we needed and more. The location North of Cancun is perfect- you can, for $20 each way, take a taxi to the hotel zone if the music beat is what you crave. The rooms here are elegant and comfortable, the grounds are pristine and the quiet is sacred. The entire property has various forms of running water throughout, which aside from creating a relaxing ambience, also means you are never unintentionally eavesdropping on someone else's conversation. The spa, in addition to being strikingly beautiful, provides excellent services geared toward your complete and total relaxation. This really is a place of peace.

Highlights that come to mind:

The restaurants (the Grill and the Aroma) serve delicious fresh (really fresh, as in it was swimming this morning fresh) fish, beef, pork and mexican dishes. The food and beverages are not inexpensive (expect to pay what you would in the United States) but be prepared to enjoy. The Chef does an amazing job with sauces and presentation and there is an ample selection of food for all diets. If for some reason you desire something special/off the menu, just ask and you will be obliged to the fullest extent possible.

You cannot bring food or drinks onto the property from outside.

There is a small boutique/store which does stock basics, but it is VERY expensive (e.g. $26 for a tube of sunscreen). Bring your own basics. We didn't see a bottle of wine in the store for less than $50 so we were happy to purchase from the restaurant instead. Again, the prices are sometimes higher than the States (no $10 bottles of wine here) but they come with the most amazing gracious service you will probably ever experience in your life, anywhere, so just know that you are paying for way more than the wine itself and relish the experience.

Water is provided in bottles in your room. The water on the property is potable, but do not drink from the room faucet/showers. They have two levels of processing, all the water in the restaurants (the tap water) is good to drink. I noticed that water is often not immediately given to you, so you must ask. As soon as you do, people will fall over themselves giving you what you need. I am a swimmer and enjoy water after a swim. Our room had not been made up yet and so there were no bottles in it. I walked to the Grill, was given a glass of cold iced tap water and told that they would "correct" the situation with my room immediately (I didn't think it was broken, I just figured they hadn't gotten to us yet). That night there were 8 bottles of water in the room (usual is 2). This is a tiny example of the lengths the people here will go to make sure your stay here is the best it could be anywhere on the planet.

The largest pool is 35 meters. For lap swimmers, that means 22 laps is a mile. I do not know how they do it, but the water never hurt my eyes. If you forget your goggles they sell them in the on site store, but I never needed any and I swim a mile a day.

Everything must make you happy and comfortable. If it does not tell someone and it will, within minutes. Everyone who works here seems happy. SO happy. There are always smiles, and greetings and no one ever appears too busy to have a conversation.

Service everywhere on the property is the most attentive I have ever seen but never intrusive.

The property is exceptionally clean. There is maid service to the rooms twice a day and in the evening you will find flowers and a little coupon for a spa service, as well as the newsletter to tell you what goings on (workout classes, tastings etc.) are going on the next day. The only issue we had with our room, and it was so minor we didn't even bring it up, was that the tables were not wiped down with a wet cloth, so that spills were still there on the outside table- it was dusted but not wiped down. We noticed this on the walkway of our casita as well- little drips of coffee or a drink that stayed from day to day. Everything else was IMMACULATE. The resort uses some type of aromatherapy in the public rooms as well, so everything always smells delightful.

Depending how long you will be here, you really do not need a car. If you are staying long enough to go down to Tulum or want to spend a lot of time in Cancun proper then perhaps you will want one, but you can walk to the car ferry to go to Islas if you wish. You walk from the Marina on the pedestrian path about 15 or 20 minutes, past the two guard houses and you are there. The car ferry is not ultra slick like the passenger ferry from further in Cancun, and it takes longer, but it is perfectly acceptable if you are just wanting to go to Islas for the day to snorkel. There is a condo next to the ferry dock with a good restaurant in it (not as good as Aroma or the Grill but good) if you crave some variety.

There is an umbrella in your room closet for those rare nights when it rains and you want to walk to the main hotel area for dinner. It's tucked away in the back of the closet so you might not see it at first.

If you are coming, as we did, for rest and relaxation, you need to pack very little. Swimsuit, a couple of pareos, and a comfortable dress for dinner should about do it.

Smile. Everyone else does. The currency here is happiness, and there is NO ONE on the
property who does not respond to a warm smile and "hola" without giving you that and more back.

We had the hot stone and muscle soother massages, twice. They were excellent. The Aqua Viva treatment is enormously fun and relaxing. I dare not give it away as part of the fun is the surprise of it all, but it is fabulous and a perfect starter for your spa treatment. Again, the people who work here will fall over themselves for your comfort, always your comfort. It took us a day to relax and believe that this was all real, and once we did we could only respond with gratitude and awe.

Everyone with young children appeared equally content, as did the children. There is a small kids club and all looked occupied and happy.

Although we were only here for 4 days, many of the staff knew our names by day 2 which we also found extraordinary. We had a pick up for the airport at 1:30 and check out is noon. After breakfast we went to the pool to swim before packing and the hotel staff initiated a late checkout for us without our asking so that we could get one more hour of paradise. Graciousness at it's best.

"Continental breakfast" is not what you have experienced before and you do not want to miss it. If you are dying for eggs they will make you any kind you want for $5, but the buffet is ample with a beautiful selection of smoked meats and fish, breads, cereals, fruits and vegetables. It is fantastic.

We used Best Day for our airport transfers and were able to set it up and pay for it online before we got here. Approximately $34 round trip for two. They were wonderful, we recommend them highly.

I am very much hoping we will be able to return in March. Now that we have had the La Amada experience we are, for better or worse, going to be spoiled for anything else. Even if you have only 3 or 4 days, and need a good rest, go. You will never regret it and may just fall in love as we have.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank allisonwilcox
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I can't reccommend this hotel highly enough. It was so peacful and relaxing. The staff were extremly attentive and the beach was gorgeous and never crowded. The rooms were big and the shower could fit a famly of 4. We were close enough to the hotel zone in Cancun that we could visit for dinner or shopping but then could leave the mayhem behind us and come back.
The food is a bit expensive but the hotel is close to Cancun town and there are beach bars down the road. We hired a small car which meant we could come and go as we liked and didn't need to rely on the hotel for all our meals and day trips.
Once again this was a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2010

My husband and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at La Amada for 4 nights. We spent the last 6 nights in Cancun at the Sun Palace (all inclusive, couples only resort). I have to say that having been at both of these resorts, La Amada is a place we could return to year after year. It stood out above the typical, all-inclusive Cancun resort for so many reasons! First, we've never felt so safe and secure at any resort, which definitely helped to aid in our relaxation. You go through 2 security gates before you're greeted at the entrance with phenomenal service that carries through in every area of the resort. The resort itself was incredibly clean and well groomed. Every morning there were crews who were touching up the landscape and raking the beaches. It was such a serene, beautifully manicured resort with big, round beds everywhere on the beach and around the pools, and on our patio. We stayed in an ocean view junior suite, on the 3rd floor, and our room was so spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. We ordered room service twice and it arrived hot within 20 minutes. We can not say enough about the food at La Amada!! It is very obvious that they have world-class chefs who take a lot of pride in both the presentation and flavor of the food. Our favorites were the ceviche, mexican seafood, risotto, and fajitas. Also, the breakfast buffet was phenomenal! It was different food every day with a similar theme, and there was no hot food. The french press coffee is something we looked forward to every morning, and have since purchased our own after we returned home!
As far as entertainment, there really wasn't any. La Amada is not a place to go to get crazy and wild and be entertained with performers and dancing. And I really don't think that's what they market either. I think their website does a good job of depicting what La Amada truly is, and that's a resort for rest and relaxation. It was a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back to La Amada again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hooneymooners_10
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I used to always write reviews about resorts and somehow life just got to busy and I stopped. Well this hotel deserves a few minutes of my time. I'll try to break everything down accordingly.

Airport Transfers - We rented a car through Alamo directly on their website. Normally when we fly into Cancun we use USA-transfers which would have cost $65. The rent a car cost us $140 which included the mandatory insurance at $11.95/per day and a car seat at $5/day. We had the car from Monday - Friday. Please be aware that the price they quote you online does not include the liability insurance of $11.95. The counter is immediately outside of customs which is good bc you avoid all of the timeshare people.
There are two walmarts but they are called superama on the way to the resort. You are not supposed to bring outside food into the resort but we picked up snacks and juice for my 3 year old. the total travel time from the airport to resort is about 30 mins. The resort is very secluded but in a good way. the rent a car was important because we knew that we wanted to visit the hotel zone and come and go as we please. At night time the main road that takes you to the hotel is very dark and there are crater size potholes so please be careful. Valet is free at the resort.

Arrival/check in - There was someone waiting to take our bags as soon as we arrived. the check in process took about 5 mins. we were given ice cold washcloths with a glass of champagne and they have my 3yo a Shirley temple. Based on previous reviews I asked at the front desk about the additional tip that was added to the bills. The only time that it is added is for room service and the mini bar and it is clearly written on the menu and the receipt. I'm not sure if this was something that they recently updated or if this was always there and it was overlooked by others.

Food & Drink - The staff in the restaurant go out of their way to make sure things are right for you. The first night for dinner was slightly disorganized. We would ask for things and either we never received them or it took about 15 mins and there were only 2 or 3 other couples there. The food did not take long to come out which was a plus. The other nights at the restaurant were perfect in regards to service.
Breakfast was included in our package, however it includes the buffet. Anything off of the menu is extra but it is not pricey. We normally ate from both the buffet and the menu, breakfast also includes mimosa, coffee, tea and bloody marys'.
We had lunch one day at isla grill by the beach pool. I'm not sure what happened this day but we had to ask for a menu from the hostess, place an order with her and then go back to her for the bill. I ordered the fish tacos and they were awesome so it made up for the lack of service.
Room service was always prompt and just like prev post you can order whatever you like and they will make it.
Lupita Lounge has great drinks and on weds they have a free tasting of food and drinks inspired by local cuisine.
There is also a kids menu both in the restaurant and room

Room - We stayed in Hermosa 3, which was a 2 story villa with a pool and bed on the rooftop. It was an oceanview room and everything smells great in the room and the hotel for that matter. The shower makes you want to not get out, I loved it. The bed was fine to us, we got a good nights rest every night

Pools - the water was pretty cool, not warm, not cold. The pool bar was not open when we stayed there. There were not many people at any pool at any time. There are 3 different pools

Kids Club - Africa was such a sweetheart. We went to the kids club with my 3yo and 9 week old to visit. She was so gentle and kind with both of my children. On one particular day they had spa services for the kids. It was not advertised but one of the staff members told us about it so we brought my daughter. They painted her nails and gave her a pretty design on her thumbs. The kids club is for 4-12 year olds and they are closed from 1-2pm for siesta.

Spa/Gym - I did not go to the gym personally but my husband did every single morning. He was really impressed with the machines. The spa is a must see. When we arrived we received $30 coupons that had to be used within 24 hours. I got the signature massage and it came with an hour hydrotherapy treatment. I highly recommend the hydrotherapy treatment even if you do not want to get a massage.

Cons
Not being able to bring in outside food or drink. While I realize that this would take away from their revenue, I feel that this is something that they should mention at the time you try to book. One night we were coming in and there was a bellboy cart filled with beer and snacks from Walmart and Sams club. We wanted to wait around to see what the outcome is because the people can't take it back on the plane with them so what happens next?
The lunch menu is almost non-existent, one of the chef's came to our table during breakfast and explained that he would make us anything we liked for lunch and for us to just tell the waiter. If he never came to us I would have been disappointed daily with lunch at isla grill. I recommend you eating lunch through room service as there are numerous choices.
We still brought beverages and snacks into the hotel. It was unthinkable to pay for a snack everyday for my daughter from the mini bar. We also had wine that we brought from home and only consumed in the room. We still bought drinks at dinner and at the lounge. There are numerous bottles of water that they leave in your room, just place them in the fridge.
There are no real activities and the ones that do take place all have a fee.
The portion sizes are small, one night I left dinner still hungry. So be sure to order an appetizer and that should do the trick.

The resort is very quiet and I loved this. It was so tranquil and I did not want to leave there. I cannot wait to go back there. Feel free to ask me any questions, I may have left somethings out so forgive me but I think I covered it all.

3  Thank Coble78
#1 of 176 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!