“Eager to Return”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I just returned from La Amada where I vacationed with my two older children for some family bonding time. Let me say, that I have stayed at some lovely resorts on the Carribean coast of Mexico, but this one was the very best.
I will not repeat descriptive information that has been included in other reviews. I would like to touch on some salient points. The design of La Amada is open and impressive. The upkeep is immaculate. The location on a long, quiet, beautiful sandy beach is perfect as long as you are not looking for the hustle and bustle of being in the Cancun Hotel District.
La Amada is set up as a spa resort, which is implied in the motto, "where doing nothing is also doing something". The workout facilities and spa are extremely impressive, as is the water circuit., which is included with most spa services. The treatments, which I received were worth the resort price. At the hotel, one is never bombarded with loud music, and on the beach ,there is only the music of the waves and birds. In the evening a trio plays "chill"music in the outdoor patio.
Service at La Amada is exceptional. The staff is extremely well trained, and go out of the way to assure you are having a lovely vacation. The managers are very much in view to assure your happiness. We were able to arrange a cooking class with the chef, Juan Garcia, at no extra cost. It was the highlight of our trip. The way it was set up was like being on the Food Network. The kitchen is open to view from the dining room and is immaculate.
Food was marvelous, in taste and presentation. Every item seemed to be refined. The hotel prepares its own bread, ice cream, even some of their jams and chutnies. The fish is always fresh, and if you happen to be on the beach at the right moment, you can see the fishermen bring their catch to the hotel chefs.
Overall LaAmada provided an extraordinary experience, and I can't wait to go back and bring my husband.

• Stayed: July 2009
6  Thank stray
There are newer reviews for Beloved Playa Mujeres

Reviewed July 20, 2009

La Amada Hotel is truly as close to the "Garden of Eden " as one can get !
Just returned yesterday evening and felt compelled to share some of thoughts and experiences concerning this fabulous 5 star resort. I will upload some photos and share a very detailed review soon regarding my 9 day stay in which I felt was an overwhelming experience. Congratulations to this incredible organization. As well as the General Manager and his staff which always presented themselves as true professionals which always treated our every request either for food, drinks or just a simple question with such a sense of urgency. They truly made you feel that you were the most important individual at their resort.

3  Thank Worldwide6
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Our stay at La Amada was between 6/28 thru 7/2.
Misc things: They dont take discover card. I emailed them prior to arriving asking that question but never received a response, discovered (no pun intended) during check-in. We arrived at 1pm local time and early check-in was not a problem. We stayed in a 2 Story casita near the clean and pristine beach.
Check your bill every time, they just tried to charge us for eggs we never had and had us taking minibar stuff, I’m sure it was a honest mistake, but better to doublecheck always! They made the corrections once I brought it to their attention.
Room Details: Jacuzzi and Hyrdopool seemed a little dirty, but we called front desk and they sent people over very quickly to get it all sorted out. Nice flat screen TVs, but no High Definition and the TV was in a weird position in my opinion, i cant lounge on the bed and watch tv at the same time. Again a call to front desk, and they repositioned the TV for us. During one of the heavy downpours, water was leaking down the ceiling/near the window by the shower. I didn’t bother reporting it officially but did mention it to front desk in passing. Speaking of shower, phenomenal, the rainshower and normal shower head, just had great water pressure. Never did figure out how to use the body spray jets without causing the casita to flood, lol. Wireless Internet Signal very strong. btw...all the comments about lack of privacy for toilets, it's not visual privacy, there's frosting on the door, its the lack of audio privacy, sound travels!
Weather – Very nice even though it overcast with daily downpour, we enjoyed it as it kept the humidity to a bearable level. No mosquitoes or bugs that were any type of real nuisance, one or two periodically would bother you inside or outside.
Staff - very very nice, they took me on a tour of the other suites, food was been good, ive been tipping here and there, sometimes I gave pesos, sometimes I gave dollars, and sometimes at the restaurants I’d add it into the bill. Juan, Jimmy, and all of them were just super fantastic in their demeanor, attitude and service.
Food – We are non meat eaters and don’t drink alcohol, but never a problem. Plenty of variety for us during our stay. Breakfast buffet as other reviewers have stated, great variety. If you wanted something hot like eggs or pancakes that was an extra charge. We did dinner on the beach the last night of our stay. The chef earlier in the day took our order and made some recommendations of his own. Turned out fantastic and Jimmy our personal waiter on the beach again was great. Only small complaint would be the cost, since we don’t eat meat and don’t drink alcohol, I thought we shouldn’t have been charged normal full price.
Atmosphere: Very quiet and peaceful. Totally different from hotel zone area. Only one day was there was some hustle bustle as i believe the hotel managers wives were invited to the property for a grand tour. They have some music type entertainment by Lupita Lounge but no one ever went except the day they offered some free drinks and massages. They have tennis courts. I’d recommend they find room to add a couple pool tables, ping pong tables maybe and make some board games available. Recommend maybe they set up a sign up sheet for people who want to go on some excursions or interested in certain activities. Beach area is basically to yourselves, pools are to yourselves. Walk down toward Excellence property activity ramps up and you see more people, you can rent a waverunner I think.
Gym/Spa – Gym equipment was very good, all clean and new. Bring your sneakers! We didn’t so we couldn’t even use the exercise bike! Spa, wife got the facial, she said it was good, and we did couples massage, very nice, first time I got a massage. They offer some discounts, would’ve went back more frequently if more discounts were given. Some free gym/spa activities were made available daily at 11am and 3pm.
Excursion - took a cab into isla mall in hotel zone cancun for some shopping, 50 dollars roundtrip for taxi.

All in all, a memorable trip!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MisterPatel
Reviewed July 14, 2009

La Amada means "The Beloved" in spanish and that is how we felt staying at this 5-star resort. The resort was absolutely beautiful, the service fantastic and the amenities/ facilities were varied and of exclusive quality.

We drove to the resort and as the bustling of Cancun faded in the background, the scenery blended into a panorama of ocean and countryside. We were greeted by two guarded gates which led to the main entrance of the hotel. The staff provided us with champagne and fresh scented towels upon check in. The room was cool and welcoming. The open floor plan of the room gave the feeling that you were one with the lush surroundings where everything just flowed into each other. The jacuzzi overlooking the balcony provided a view of the pool, the ocean and the blue horizon. The beach was pristine and well maintained but the various hotel infinity pools were equally tempting.

La Amada was well worth the trip and somewhere we would always look forward to revisit.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NoOrdinaryMorning
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I'm not going to repeat all the other reviews - the place is lovely, isolated and sitting on the beach you can imagine you're in a Corona commercial. The staff is bend over backwards nice and everyone seems to be having a good day - this is great because I've been at other resorts in the Caribbean where the staff seems annoyed you're there. Spa was great - had an amazing massage and did the water circuit twice. That's a fun thing to do as a couple.

Overall an amazing experience (and I got a great price on luxury link).

A few things that if fixed would have made it even better:

1. Food: Breakfast is is great - I ate tons of fruit and fresh bread. The coffee is french press and delicious.

However - there's only one place to eat dinner and I have to say the food wasn't that good. The lobster overcooked, scallops too buttery - we only stayed 4 nights, but we tried nearly everything on the menu and nothing made us go "wow".

Lunch is fine at the pool, but we ordered the lobster burrito and it tasted horrible - fishy and rotten. We told them and they took it off our bill.

2. Nightlife. There's none. Not that I want to go to Senor Frogs ( I DO NOT), but would be nice to have a drink after dinner. they have the Lupita lounge which feels a little like sitting in someone's back yard, but what would be better is if they'd have drinks at the ocean fronting restaurant. i want to hear the water with my Chardonnay!

I loved it so much and only 4 hours from NYC - I feel like I should book my resys now before I get priced out!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rsd
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the La Amada from 2-8 July and let me tell you, I usually do not spend time posting a review but this place is deserving of it!! If you are looking for a place that provides first-class service, gourmet food, and real R&R, don't go any further than this hotel. I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say as we felt we had a 5 star cruise line experience without the cruise ship. Our room was incredibly clean, our food was tasty and served with a smile, and the grounds are immaculately kept. I really was not expecting a great vacation since my wife broke her foot (in four places) and fractured her ankle (on both sides) but the staff at La Amada really put forth such a special experience for us that I can only say "Thank You" for the hospitality. Going out of their way to make sure you have a unforgetable experience is a daily routine for the entire staff at the La Amada.
One thing I really want to mention (as it has been before) is that you really need to tip the staff in dollars and not write a gratuity on the receipt as it does affect how much the Hotel pays them daily. I won't repeat what others say but just take care of the workers and you will be even more appreciated during your stay.
Also, drink the bottled water in they provide in the bathroom as it is free (nobody really tells you that) and you can order house water with your meals and it is basically the same water (and it is free!!)
Breakfast is amazing and you can really eat as much as you want -- including the mimosas!! Have Jorge make you one -- my wife really enjoyed them. Coffee, juices, mimosas, and everything you see on the tables is included in the breakfast and if you make reservations now -- the breakfast meal is included in the cost of the room. The free wireless internet is pretty good strength too so bring your laptop and enjoy.
Take time to have lunch at the Isla Grill and have David or Diana take good care of you. I recommend the Nacho appetizer with extra beans and cheese -- it is a good portion for two and costs around seven dollars. Most of the appetizers can really be shared as you do receive large portions. Drink prices are a little on the high side, so if you do not drink, just ask for that free house water -- it is purified so you do not have to worry about drinking it.
The Aroma restaurant does have dress codes for dinner -- no shorts, tanktops, or flip-flops. I wore casual long pants and a polo shirt with casual shoes and had no problems. Breakfast attire is really anything you put on!! I do want to mention here that the staff expects your dinner experience to be an enjoyable one and if anything is wrong, just let Arturo or Carolina know about it and the problem will be fixed -- but you have to say something as they are not mind readers. The couple behind us at dinner had some complaints about their food and mentioned it to themselves but never told the staff so of course the staff thought all was well. The gentlemen even told Arturo that everything was fine biut stated to his wife that he was not leaving a tip since he did not like his steak!! Oh well, there are always certain people in the group.
As for the Spa -- it is world class and a definite must-do while you are here. You have to try the Aqua Viva experience -- they offer it with any spa treatment but they also have a weekend special for $45 US dollars that is a GREAT DEAL!! Try it, you will not be dissapointed.
I can keep providing details about La Amada but I guess the best compliment I can give is that we are making plans with my wife's parents to come back and visit La Amada again next May. This hotel is a real gem and you will not be disappointed with your vacation if you are really looking for a place to have some rest and relaxation and not some wild party action. Hope to see you there in the future!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cruiser12
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We spent 14 nights at Excellence Playa Mujeres [EPM] between 16th – 30th June and whilst there we accepted Excellence’s kind invitation to spend some time at La Amada. This was our 22nd trip to the Caribbean and our 4th trip to Mexico.

We had originally planned to visit EPM in May but had to reschedule our trip due to flights from the UK being cancelled because of the swine flu outbreak.

Can I preface this review by saying that we have stayed at all three Excellence Resorts previously and will be returning to Excellence Punta Cana for a third time this September. We just love how Excellence treat their guests and how they run things – they are our sort of people and are far better than many Sandals Resorts we have stayed at. Going back to Excellence just feels like we are returning home as we are lucky enough to have built up a relationship with many of the management and staff at their three resorts now four including La Amada and feel like part of the family.

I fully appreciate that we were only at the resort for two mornings and one evening and this review has been written on the basis of that limited exposure. However, I do think it is an accurate reflection of how we would have felt in the longer term – one thing for certain is the on our next trip to Mexico we will be coming for longer and spending more time at La Amada.

On our arrival on our first morning we were met a by Jean Francois the General Manager who gave us a comprehensive tour of the resort and explained what his and the resorts philosophy was. Jean Francois was impeccably dressed in white and grey as were most of the staff. He is very hands on with both guests and staff and his aim is to meet with as many guests and staff as he can on a daily basis and to give the guests a very different personal holiday experience.

Even though the resort only had 23% occupancy when we visited they still had a full compliment of staff on duty as Excellence are taking the opportunity to train up the already very experienced staff in their way of thinking as occupancy builds.

The resort with its 109 Suites of different types and styles is very cutting edge and just when I thought that the designer and architect who is one of the owners of Excellence Group could not raise the bar any further he certainly has with La Amada. He has used a very simple colour palette of mostly white, grey and cream and has opted not to have any grass anywhere on the resort as he wishes to keep the natural surrounding of sand and stone.

The main building with its suites, bars, lobby, restaurant, terrace and deli boutique is beautifully laid out and decorated. Everywhere you go it plays to your different senses with many of the different areas having their own personal aroma. The breakfast buffet is intentionally arranged in a different fashion each morning and although some key dishes will remain the same they offer a different variety of fruits, juices, bread, meat and cheeses on different days. All the pickles and jams, etc are made by the chefs as is the bread. The chefs even have their own garden and in time as the herbs and other plants grow this will be their main source of fresh herbs and some produce.

They also offer an a la carte breakfast menu

The main building is linked to the 35,000 square foot Wellness Centre which is on three floors by the Lupita Lounge which offers a place to relax and chill out in the evening under the stars – they are looking to add some shades so that people can make more use of the lounge during the day as well. The Wellness Centre itself as you will see from the photographs is so peaceful and well laid out – again it has a different aroma and offers a truly different Spa experience. The Wellness Centre also has a very well equipped Fitness Centre and Kinesis on the 1st Floor.

Situated between the Main Building and the seven Casita Buildings each of which have four suites there are a further two large buildings each of which have their own large pool, Jacuzzis and sunbathing areas.

On the beach front there is a decent sized pool known at the Wet Bar with the Isla Grill floating above it which will be fully operational once occupancy builds. There is also the Natura Bar and Kids Club – another nice touch is the variety of activities available for children such as a their own garden area where they are encouraged to plant seeds and plants which the resort then sends them photos of how they are progressing. They are also working on a wet weather programme where the children will be able to prepare and cook certain items in the main kitchen.

We attended the bonfire party which they hold on the beach each Thursday evening where they have two bonfires – one for adults and a smaller one for children where you can toast your marshmallow brochettes, have a drink and listen to live music as the sun goes down. Everyone we chatted to were so impressed by the resort and the staff and way it was run. They felt it had given them a very personal experience with the chefs, in addition to cooking their own signature dishes, also offering to conjure up dishes the guest wished to experience – nothing is too much trouble.

Even though the Resort only opened in February they are already beginning to attract repeat guests.

On our second morning at La Amada we had breakfast in the Aroma Restaurant before meeting Jean Francois again. The breakfast buffet selection and the food was spectacular as was the service. Their aim with all the food they serve is to try and introduce people to fruits, juices and herbs, etc that would not normally be found outside Mexico. After breakfast we had a good stroll round the resort and took many photographs after which we spent some time on the beach which has a far more natural feel to it than the beach next door at EPM. They have intentionally left in a lot of the native plants to give different areas of the beach more privacy and it definitely works.

After visiting the Spa we had a tour of five different room types – Junior Swim Up Suite, an Upper Floor Junior Suite, an Ocean Front Penthouse House Suite, Beachfront Casita Suite and finally a Two Storey Beachfront Casita Suite which have their own RTT – all of which were well laid out and presented – I have attached photographs of all the rooms we saw to this review.

Will La Amada appeal to everyone??? – No, as it is isolated and if you want an active holiday or are a big fan of the main Cancun strip this is not the resort for you. If however you are looking for a totally different and personal holiday experience at a luxury, top end, contemporary resorts this is the place for you. La Amada just oozes luxury and from the moment you arrive you feel that the staff are at your service. They offer a very attentive but unobtrusive service with some very personal touches.

What I will say is that when they say to you, or as recited on the resort video which plays in your room – “If there is anything you like that you do not see – just ask” – Excellence really do mean it and at La Amada this is even more noticeable. If you have a problem, no matter how small, mention it and it will disappear

Finally, having visited all four Excellence Group Resorts I would say that all four resorts are very similar but different if that makes any sense. To a certain extent it is like trying to compare a pineapple, a kiwi fruit and a mango – they are all great tropical delights but they each have there own flavours and appeals.

Many people have asked me which we like best and all I can say is that EPC and ERC are to a certain extent like stepping into your cherished vintage car and taking it for a drive as you instantly feel at home and the quality and craftsmanship just oozes out at you – they both have a touch of magic hidden away under the bonnet. Whereas EPM and La Amada are the fresh new models on the drive with all the modern gizmos and that sports button which offers that little extra touch of excitement. The thing they all have in common is the emblem on the front grill.

Will we go back – a very big YES and in fact we have already started planning it.

As always I am happy to answer any questions

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Secrets The Vine Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!