“Amazing, peaceful and bliss!”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed June 27, 2009

So La Amada may be a little far from Cancun, but if you want to be in Cancun then I suggest you book a hotel there. But if you are looking for an amazing beach, peace and quiet and great service then La Amada has all that and more. This trip was my first trip outside the country solo ever. I researched hotels religously and finally decided on La Amada. I have never been so happy to be a little too obsessive and picky in my life. All my analytical skills payed off big time with this hotel. I stayed in a casista with a private pool on the first floor that had a pathway leading straight to the main pool and Isla Grill. Now I must confess I did not do much on this trip. I did take the ferry to Isla Mujeres and went to Mercado 28 to shop. These two trips were nice, but made me ever so happy that I was not staying in close vicinity to either. Although the prices may be a little more than some may prefer, my advice is moderation. I can drink at home where it is cheaper, so drink water. I can eat at expensive resteraunts at home, so chose inexpensive dishes. The most important aspect of this vacation is enjoying yourself surrounded by the beauty which is La Amada.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PeeDeeSun
Write a ReviewReviews (3,894)

Reviewed June 25, 2009

If you are looking for a party every night and lots of people stay in the hotel district of Cancun. If you are looking for an all inclusive with some more options stay next door at the Excellence. If you are looking for a few quiet days on a great beach with good food this is your place.

The highpoint is the beach, filled with comfortable padded beach chairs and giant grass umbrellas. Picture the Corona commercials you see on TV and you've nailed it. Plenty of chairs, no reservations, just walk up and sit down. Chairs outnumber guests. The water is clear and refreshing. And you can see some sea life like manta-rays and small fish swimming in the water.

The rooms are also really great. We had a junior suite. The "ocean view" was only partial, but the upgrade was free, if it wasn't it probably isn't worth paying for. Some of the villas and larger rooms truly have full ocean views. I think the floors were travertine. The shower is as big as most bathrooms, and had several shower heads. The deck had a bed. The couch was white leather. Flat screen tv and dvd player. There was a personal jacuzi (small one). Large closet, dual sinks. iPod dock/alarm, mini bar, etc. Bathrobes & slippers. 2x daily maid service. Really all very well done.

Our stay included the continental breakfast buffet, which was outstanding. Fresh fruits, smoothies, meats, cheeses, pastries, juice, breads, and mimosas. Really very nice.

Lunch and dinner options were limited (only 1 place open for lunch and the other for dinner during our stay) and a little pricey (~$15 US a plate lunch and $20-$30 a plate dinner), but the quality and service were outstanding. The drinks were also a little pricey but quite good, fresh fruit juices etc.

Arrange in advance for transportation from the airport. We used (-------------) and while their website doesn't list playa mujeres they charge $70 roundrip from the airport. Nice drivers who spoke English. You get met at the airport by someone holding a sign with your name on it, and you are the only one in the van.

So, the downsides... we stayed 4 nights, if you are staying longer you might start to get bored. They had some limited live music in the evening (ie a percussionist and a DJ together) but otherwise entertainment and dining options were limited. It's way out of town, so it's a $25 US taxi ride each way into Cancun's hotel district. I went on a scuba trip that left from the hotel district, and adding $50 for transportation to/from was disappointing. The neighboring Excellence charges $100 per person per day to use their facilities so there is really nothing in walking distance to do besides stroll on the beach.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spiffy_guy
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We stayed at the La Amada June 9th-14th. To give you a little perspective on my review I'll give you a little background on us. We have 4 kids 10-5 yrs old, so we like quiet. We travel quite a bit, and we have been to Cancun 5 times. (La Blanc, Xpu Ha Palace,Gran Melia,Porto Fino) We are pretty low maintenance people. ie. I would just assume someone tell me where the towels are than bring me one.

* Airport to La Amada was about 25-30 min ride. We used cancuntransfers and the cost was $70 round trip.
* We stopped at Costco on the way to the hotel and picked up wine and snacks which saved a ton of money.
*Once you leave the airport and get on the main Hwy to La Amada there was a Walmart, Sams Club and a La Europa about 10 minutes down on the left.
*Check in at the La Amada was easy about 10 min.
*The room was very nice and big. King size bed, big plasma tv with cd/dvd, wi fi, awesome big shower, hair dryer, safe, hot tub (didn't use), awesome patio with table and chairs and lounge bed, mini fridge with drinks. We asked if they would empty the fridge for our wine, and they did.
*Beach and pools were very nice with a lot of great lounge beds.
*We thought the food was excellent, and the price was very reasonable-just like eating in the US at a good restaurant.
*Drinks were expensive. Espresso $9 Pina Colada $10. Glass of wine was okay at $5.
*The staff was fine, but most were very new. It seemed most people had only been working there 1 month. We really like to be left alone, so we don't really notice the staff that much.
*The spa was very nice, but I think a little expensive. Massage was $130 US. It does come with aqua part of the spa which was nice and made the $130 a little more reasonable.
*Gym was good with all new equipment.

I highly recommend the La Amada if you are looking for a VERY quiet place to get away.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jeffgcg
Reviewed June 14, 2009

What a wonderful, luxurious, and relaxing experience at La Amada Hotel! My sweetheart and I liked this hotel so much that we are going back again in just a couple of weeks. The breakfast buffet was the best I've ever seen. Executive Head Chef Juan Garcia is very talented--you won't find better food anywhere. My only wish is that they would add more vegetarian items to their lunch and dinner menus. We took advantage of the spa, which was phenomenal. Never having visited the Yucatan Peninsula, we took day trips during 3 of our 5 days staying at La Amada. This time we'll stay put and enjoy the beach, the pools, the spa, and the top notch service of the staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beergod
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I've been to Cancun more than 10 times in my life and have always stayed in 5 stars hotels but i've never seen such a place. At "La Amada", not only is the hotel incredibly clean and very well designed, but the service ( from the moment they greet you with champagne till they sincerely wish you'll come back) makes you feel as a v.i.p guess.
The rooms are extremely spacious with a calm ambiance and got everything one would wish for a peacefull stay ( 3 kinds of shower jets, comfortable down blanket, balcony bed, jacuzzi, free wifii and much more).
There are 3 heated pools, each with jacuzzis and surrounded by very nice beds on which there is always clean towels folded for you. As for the beach, it is very clean and always calm with wood long chairs and circular beach beds on wich you can lay down if you're not in the sea or taking a walk on the large shore). If you get thirsty or hungry no need to get up, the friendly and helpfull staff will bring you whatever you want, wherever you are. Talking about food, the restaurants are impeccables as are the waiter's service (always pulling the chair for you, remembering what you like so they bring it to you the following days without having you to tell them, and even bringing you extra fancy dishes). The chef is great, you can even ask him a special dish that he'll be glad to prepare for you the day you choose. The only minus is that there's only one restaurant that's open from 6pm till 10pm but theres enough choices in the menu plus you can eat sooner at the "Grill" ( pool restaurant) wich closes at 6pm, or get yourself room service 24/7.
As for the activities, you can relax at the amazingly modern spa, attend yoga/pilates classes, train at the gym, participate at massages and try tequila degustations, enjoy live lounge music around a fire on the beach beds at night, listen to the live jazz band under the stars and much more...)
Finaly this is honestly the best resort and service i've experienced and hope u'll experience it too.

• Stayed: June 2009

#1 of 177 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!