“Service Personified”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Alexandria, Virginia
“Service Personified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

My family just returned from a week vacation at the Beloved; we have two boys 9 and 7. We have been to five star resorts with and without kids around the world and can think of few properties that provided the level of service we experienced at the Beloved.

The highlight of the trip for us - surprisingly - was the staff. We have never felt so welcomed by people and provided such a warm reception day in and day out. David the lifeguard and "do everything" beach guy was always available and greeting us with a smile, making sure our family had what we needed. Luis the beach server was always there when we needed a cocktail and smiled all the time. Clara the activities guru took our son snorkeling and he still is talking about it. Chuy at Aqua Adventures made my eldest son's trip with a great excursion. And Alex at the pool bar was there for my wife and I with a smile every day and a special bottle of rum for my wife, along with the best strawberry smoothies for my kids. I highly recommend having a wine tasting with Jonathan the sommeliere. We spent an hour enjoying Mexican wine and food parings and he was fantastic. If you enjoy wine it is a must do on the trip. These are just a few of the examples of the personal contact we have had here. These folks really want to make your vacation great. In the 30 plus years I have traveled I can remember maybe 5 people who were great at service and I beat that on one trip. These are just the folks we got to know. All the other servers and staff were great as well. It may seem over the top but it is true.

I also spent a day at the spa and was amazed. Low expectations perhaps but it was fantastic. I have been to a number of spas that have been rated as "best in the world" and this was better than anything I have experienced. Amazing people, amazing attention to detail. Not at all what I was expecting given my previous experiences. This is a must if you have time and the resources. Give yourself 3 hours at a minimum. Best spa I have ever been to. And I find myself surprised I am saying it given some of the spas I have had the pleasure of spending time at.

The property itself and the room were very nice and extremely well maintained and clean. Well manicured grounds with zero trash and nothing out of place. My kids loved seeing the Iguanas on the property who seemed to have their own "locations" and we would spot every morning.

The pools are average for kids, not much in the way of slides etc., but my kids didn't mind as they had a blast playing with all the other children they met. They had as much fun in the pool as they did at Atlantis -- hard to believe but true. Great kids from around the world were there and they met some great ones. And the ocean is very calm and clear.

There are good activities on the beach, snorkeling, paddle boats , kayaking, etc and we took advantage. Calm water for the kids and a great private beach to enjoy.

The restaurants were great. Very good food with great service. We had some great meals. Most were very good, and the room service was always available and extremely prompt if we didn't go out.

If you are looking for an all inclusive resort to chill out at with our without a family this is a great option. You have everything at your fingertips. As good as the property was it was the staff that really make this place. We have been all over the world and in terms of service this was as good as it gets.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank jason l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We went for a wedding and a mini vacation. The service was impeccable! Everyone was so friendly. The food was amazing! There was many different places to eat. The rooms were great. We will definitely be back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Teaneck, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

We and another family stayed for a week last March,2014, and was very disappointed with the service. Average waiting time for lunch/dinner is 45 minutes. One evening, we had to walk out after 45 minutes wait and just decided to order room service.
The last straw was when our waiter took our order but deliberately did not put it in. After 1/2 hour of waiting, one of us went to go to the bar personally to get the drinks we ordered. We were the first guests who arrived at the restaurant but after noticing that everybody has already gotten their appetizers already, and our kids are having their melt downs, my husband politely spoke with the waiter, but he adamantly brushed us off. So, we all got up and walked out. Mind you, the manager was around the whole time and never did anything about it.
They did try to make it up after that evening, but the damage has been done. I thought staying at the Ocean view Penthouse Suite would have its perks, but I was mistaken.
Note to all::: Never show up hungry when you go to their sit-down restaurants. You'll wait forever. :(

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Didixo
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for having chosen The Beloved Hotel as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Latrobe, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at The Beloved for our anniversary. We had considered going to a couples only resort but the great reviews, photographs, and size of the hotel won us over. This was our 4th stay at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico and Dominican Republic and The Beloved is by far our favorite. It is a small, quiet resort and even though it was at 100 percent capacity several of the days we were there, it never felt crowded. We never had a problem finding lounges at the beach and never had to wait to be seated at a restaurant, although it was a little harder getting a lounge bed at one of the pools. The property was beautiful and our junior suite (basic room) was huge. The restaurants had varied menus and the sushi bar, juice/smoothie bar (Natura) and different lunches cooked on the beach everyday were nice alternatives. What really set The Beloved apart from the other AI resorts we have stayed at was the service. Every employee you met greeted you warmly and with a smile. There were so many employees that took care of us that I can't remember all their names, but if the management reads these reviews, kudos to Juan Carlos the bellman, Daniel and Manolo on the beach, Sarai at Aroma, and Heyden at the lobby bar. Patricio from guest services was also out every day walking the property. If there was anything you needed all you had to do was ask. Since it was a smaller resort you had the opportunity to get to know other guests and we met several families from the U.K. If small, quiet, and relaxing is what you are looking for you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvthesun1121
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Beloved Hotel for two weeks and had a wonderful stay. We have few faults about this hotel and would happily have stayed for another week! We went as a trio (my wife and daughter) and there was plenty for my teenage daughter to do. When we arrived we were welcomed with very good staff who gave us cold towels and and refreshing drinks after our hot and tiring 9 hour journey. The check-in was quick so as to not keep you waiting long before you were shown to the room. The room was, I have to admit, incredible. We had arranged to stay in a 2-storey beach front Casita suite and I think that we were all blown away by the scenic views.

One of the highlights of our trip was the Spa. There was a wide variety of massages and beauty treatments to choose from and my wife and I think that the massages were extremely soothing. My daughter had a Junior Pedicure which she said was very professionally done and the staff were very kind and always wanted to help.

Overall, we had a fabulous time here at The Beloved and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone because there are many activities for people of all ages.

Room Tip: The Casitas all have a good view of the sea whereas the suites don't have such a clear view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Tanglewood2b
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Without repeating the wonderful accolades already posted in regards to the resort, restaurants and especially the entire staff, I would like to note a few additional comments.

This was our third trip to The Beloved in the past year. We have always viewed the Beloved as a small, intimate, romantic hotel, family oriented. The past 2 visits (late April 2013 and late September 2013) were in the “off season” and the majority of the guests were couples or guests attending a destination wedding.

During our last visit from April 10th to April 17th, we found many families present with children of all ages. Having two children of my own (now grown), we travelled quite frequently to various destinations including all-inclusive resorts. We as parents were always respectful of our surroundings and ensured while the kids had fun at the beach and pool, they were respectful of others. The vast majority of kids during this past stay were an absolute delight to be around – they had a great time while being respectful of other. Congratulations to the parents to raising such wonderful kids! However, there are always exceptions to the rules – kids screaming in the water, being throwing sand on the beach, being disruptive to others. I don’t think it’s the kids fault, fault is with the parents. We do look forward to returning, however, will schedule at a less busy time of year. If you are a couple – you may want to consider scheduling your vacation around the school breaks.

I would like to make a special notation to one individual – the General Manager – Gabriel Garcia. As noted earlier –we have been to numerous various resorts under various ownership groups. Excellence in customer service starts at the top as this was demonstrated by the “hands on” approach by the General Manager. Each day we would see the Mr. Garcia touring the various area of the resort including the beach, restaurants, kitchen area, main lobby, etc. while taking the time to interact with his valued customers. Things that required attention were identified and quickly addressed. Congratulations to the entire staff of the Beloved for providing a “feel at home” environment.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Scott B
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We had a great vacation at the beloved. This all-inclusive hotel is just the right size to give you a relaxing vacation. There were plenty of choices for food and I was really impressed by the quality of the food. The Lupita lounge offered Mexican gourmet menu, while the el mar restaurant offered a variety of delicious seafood dishes. The tamarindo tequila shots were excellent. I especially loved the grilled octopus dish. I was a little disappointed with the ceviche. I assumed they had to cater to a variety of guests and opted to not prepare authentic ceviche but nevertheless it was still very good. Dinner at the aroma was also quite good. They offered American and European gourmet dishes. I did not like their buffet breakfast but that's just a personal preference. The sushi bar had limited selection but enough to pacify my weekly sushi craving. Room service is available 24 hours and came in less than 30 minutes. They even prepared box lunches for us when we decided to go for a day trip.Everyone at the resort was helpful and attentive. My husband and I tipped everywhere we went which always help with the speed of service.

There were plenty of bed lounges by the poolside and the beach but this has not stopped some people from securing their lounges early. Not really sure why because I never encountered any problem finding a spot. The beach did have some minimal seagrass but only by the shore.

I used the spa for a massage. I got the beloved massage and it was very relaxing. I highly recommend it. The spa itself is not your typical spa. It was very bright as it was an indoor/outdoor spa. It's also co-ed and the valet was always around which made me a bit uncomfortable. The valets were mostly men.

The resort itself is secured. You have to pass through guarded gates to enter the community. We also saw armed guards monitoring vehicles from atop a bridge. Since Playa Mujeres is not in the hotel zone, you don't get accosted by anyone trying to sell you a timeshare. We drove to the property and initially missed the entrance to the property. My brother in law did the same thing. You'll have to look for the La Amada sign, turn right and voila The beloved sign appears. The beloved should probably do something about this.

We booked a junior suite and it had a large balcony. Shower was spacious with a waterfall shower head. There were also shower jets and massagers. It is glass enclosed so if you are traveling with friends, you need to turn off the lights to provide privacy. I, personally, liked it because it made the space continuous so you do not feel enclosed while showering. Alcohol bar and the refrigerator content was replenished daily. You could leave a note if you want specific items stocked.

This comment is from my husband. Why are there three separate switches to turn on the light over the jacuzzi but only one for the living room and it is located on the side of the bed. It took us awhile to figure out the light switch. It must not be the same in all the rooms because my sister had a hard time finding the switch for their bathroom. You so do not have control over the light switch in the balcony, so when our next door neighbors decided to be amorous in their balcony and we tried to give them privacy, it was not possible. Although the balconies are separated by a wall, your next door neighbors could see yours if they stand at the front edges.

Overall, this has been an absolutely wonderful and relaxing vacation. We definitely plan to come back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,239 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!