“Almost excellent but a few things to keep in/work on”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
New York City, New York
“Almost excellent but a few things to keep in/work on”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I want to preface my review by saying that I just got back from my stay at the Beloved with my boyfriend and we had a fantastic time. I had read lots of reviews before we went, so I felt that I had a pretty good understanding of the properties strengths and weaknesses. I do however think that some reviewers recently are being overly critical and looking to find faults. For example, people have complained about weddings. We were there for a wedding and it was impossible to even know there was a wedding going on! First, there are only 109 rooms so the weddings are not big. Secondly, the music in lupita lounge ends every night at 11pm sharp. Then the resort is pretty much dead. And lastly, the beach ceremony for the weddings takes place on the edge of the beach that is no where close to the rest of the beach. In no way does it disrupt your beach experience.

Ill try to just do a few highlights and minor areas to work on.

This is a small resort so just keep that in mind. There are also kids there. If that will be a problem for you, then don't go. But I had no problem with the size, lack of nightly entertainment or kids. I wanted a quiet retreat where I didn't have to rush to get a beach chair, where we would get great service, and just relax. This is that kind of place.

Spa -- We hadn't intended doing to spa but every day they have specials and we decided to take advantage of a 80 min massage for $130 versus $180. This was an amazing spa. The facilities are 5 star. I was surprised. I have done many spas around the world and this spa was one of the nicest. So definitely worth looking into the spa and the pre spa experience (cold plunge, steam room, therapeutic pools)

Food -- Its hit or miss, but this is also just based on peoples person tastes. Lots of people have reviewed the food so I won't go too in-depth. The breakfast is plentiful with tons of eggs, pastries, fruit, etc. We found that if you stuck to the mexican dishes at the restaurants you were never disappointed. I did find that most of the meat and fish were overcooked. Some nights I was able to get my meat medium rare but other nights it was well done. I think they are probably just worried about people getting sick. Don't expect amazing food but its fine and more then edible.

Service -- I thought the service was 5 star. The beach staff was excellent. We had Eduardo and Luis. One morning, we arrived to find Luis had already set up all our beds in our usual spot for us, and had tables and menus waiting. We did tip the service people -- particular the beach staff and drink servers at Lupita Lounge. We also usually tipped throughout the meals (including breakfast) but I don't think we were the norm. We had daily maid service twice - once to clean and then turn down. No complaints there. The hotel arranged our transportation and was quick with any requests. Everyone was always smiling and saying hello.

Rooms -- I thought the rooms were tastefully done and quite large. I will say that we did arrive to a room with an odd smell. We called down and they moved us to another room that did not have any smell. They clearly will go to any lengths to make you happy. The King bed was comfortable and the shower/bathroom area was huge.

The one thing that did bother my boyfriend a bit was that the hot tub by the ocean (which is really the only pool and hot tub people go in) was as cold as the pool. We told this to the manager but the next day the hot was even colder. We figured the heater was broken. Oh well.

I highly recommend this resort to anyone. If you want more "night life" or more stuff going on, you may want to try the Excellence next door. Just keep that in mind.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caitlin F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,154)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I am going to be completely honest- when I read the negative reviews of this place, I really do wonder what is wrong with the people who wrote them.

I visited this property 3 years ago when it was still La Amada and not an all-inclusive hotel and I was in love. I have wanted to return since then and am SO glad I did. I am very, very skeptical of all-inclusive hotels because quality usually goes out the window when everything is prepaid but I took a chance given my positive experience with management before. I have to say, this trip was even better than the last from the moment we arrived and Cristian greeted us and remembered who I was! It was actually crazy- he remembered I had been there with two friends a few years back. This time I brought my mother and we were just so blown away by his great memory and warm greeting. The immediate warmth of the staff and the wonderful welcome champagne just put us in vacation mode and made us feel at home. Cristina was such a sweet, efficient employee and checked us in immediately despite our 12:30 arrival.

We booked a swim-up suite, which was perfect for us. They honored our request of two double beds, extra mattress toppers and soft pillows. Everything was there for our arrival and the room was completely immaculate.

I can understand people being upset by the weather that has been apparently quite horrific lately, but from our experience the hotel did everything they could to accommodate the bad weather. We were incredibly lucky and came just in time for the good weather. The first day was a bit cloudy so we took advantage of the $165 Therapeutic Destress Ritual deal they had upon check-in (when we were planning to pay $240 for each). The spa was INCREDIBLE. I have a spa obsession and I have never in my life experienced anything like that. From the hour-long Aqua Viva circuit (which was the most incredible, beautiful experience) to the 100 minute treatment, I was completely relaxed. My mother and I had Yedid and Juanita (they were both very great when we asked for more pressure). I highly recommend the spa and the masseuses.

In terms of the beach service, it's incredible and the guys work very hard. Special shout out to Luis who is the sweetest, most efficient guy and Daniel who was so kind and surprised us with our favorite drink (mimosas) on our last day. The beach is pristine- the maintenance guys are out there all the time picking up rocks and seaweed etc as well as raking up the sand to make it look like a big zen garden. The seaweed is not bad...at all. It's an ocean, and the hotel does what it can to make sure the beach is clean.

In regards to the food- we ate at Aroma, Isla Grill, El Mar and Lupita Lounge. Our favorite was absolutely Isla Grill for dinner (my mother said the salmon was much better there than at Aroma). Marcos was a fantastic waiter who was so discreet and knew exactly when to come around. Lupita lounge had fantastic sushi (and I know because I eat a huge amount of it back in CT). Aroma has excellent breakfast! Yamily was always so sweet and remembered our room number, names and what table we liked. Heriberto was so passionate about wine and learning languages. Fernando was always such a nice, funny guy. I have to give the biggest shout out to Pablo. I have now known him for three years and he is such an impressive guy. He runs a tight ship at the restaurants and cares so much for his guests. He truly made our experience and is a huge part of the reason I came back to the hotel.

All in all, the grounds are immaculate, the food is excellent and the management truly cares about you. Our one issue was the polishing of the floors in the room above us. It started at 7:30 one morning and we complained to the front desk. That afternoon, Patricio came up to us at the beach and apologized and guaranteed it would not happen again and sure enough- it didn't. I cannot say enough about how much I love this place. To prove it, we had actually booked our usual oceanfront suite at the Ritz in March a few months back and during our stay at The Beloved, we decided to switch our reservation to come back to the Beloved because we love the people, the service and the experience so much more. We can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: Swim up suite is an excellent value, we are trying out the junior suite ocean view in march
3 Thank MLE91
montebello, NY
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Just returned from a five night stay at the Beloved and needless to say it lived up to its billing.
We were two couples, and arrived via cancun transfers at the hotel which is a 35 minute drive from the airport. We stayed in a two story casita by the beach which was well appointed and had an upstairs sunbed with private plunge pool facing the water. The bathroom had Bulgari ammenities, and the rainshower was spectacular with great pressure and plenty of hot water. The inroom WIFI worked perfectly. The staff at the Beloved was outstanding in all departments. They were friendly, courteous, always smiling and by the third day knew our names. The beach was never crowded and e found the service to be adequate. The food was above average for a Caribbean all inclusive. Breakfast at the Aroma consisted of the usual buffet items plus an a la carte menu. Lunch was usually poolside at the grill with fresh fish, salads, mexican specialties in abundance. We really enjoyed the restaurant El Mar for late afternoon guacamole, cerviches and fish tostados. Dinner was excellent with many options at all 3 restaurants. They also had a great sushi bar in the Lupita Lounge which was a great place to meet for mojitos and a snack prior to dinner. The nightlife was quiet and the more adventuresome person could "sneak" over to the Excellence next door to hit the disco. Of note about 35% of the guests were young adults with small children, so clearly this is not an adults only experience. Had a massage one day(each day they offer spa discounts), used the gym,(no one there!), did the daily bike tour, and the pool areobics for my poor excuse at exercise.
Overall a great experience. Having stayed at other all inclusives such as the iberostar, Ritz carlton Rose Hall, and the Royal Hideaway, this was at the top. Last year we were at the Viceroy in Anguilla. At the end of this trip we all agreed that the value, service and overall experience at the Beloved is tough to beat.

Room Tip: two story casita was awesome; was on higher floor so no issues with noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed at The Beloved Hotel in late Dec to early January 2014. We had The Owners Suite which was fantastic. Had two big bedrooms and two bathrooms, a big living area and a kitchen. The balcony wrapped around the whole suite and included a spa and three different day beds.
This hotel is an all inclusive, meaning absolutely all food and drinks (including any alcohol) was included in the room rate. Unfortunately this meant the quality of food wasn't great, and the cocktails were quite weak. Don't get me wrong, some of the food was good, like the traditional Mexican cuisine, but burgers, sandwiches, pastas and chips were all pretty average.
We were there over New Years, and the hotel put on a party in the day spa which was kind of awkward because no one knew each other. But apart from it being stifling it in there, they did a good job.
My husband and I had a 80 minute massage each, which allowed us to use the hydrotherapy pool and an hour prior. The pool was magnificent, I've never experienced anything like it. The massage was great too.

1 Thank Amy E
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was amazing! We had our destination wedding here and stayed for 7 nights. The weather was perfect, the beach was private and beautiful, the food was awesome at all 4 restaurants and the staff were superb! The only, and thus is a miniscule thing, problem was the in/out wifi. As soon as we were able to connect, we were promptly disconnected. Not really an issue if you don't mind not having internet, but as we didn't purchase international minutes on our cell phone, Facebook was what we were using to communicate...well trying to use. I've been to other all inclusive resorts before but they all pale in comparison to The Beloved. My husband and I say we are spoiled now...how can we go anywhere else!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachael J
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were with a wedding party. We were in building one, second floor. Our rooms were all excellent. The staff was friendly courteous, and professional. Our room was immaculate and cleaned morning and night. The bar and snack tray were high quality and we'll stocked. The food was superb; in room food service was fast and the food was hot. We definitely would return!

Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This review is over due from a stay my wife and I had in May/2013.
My wife and I stayed at The Beloved for the first time in June/2012 for our 5th Aniversary and had a GREAT time. READ MY PREVIOUS REVIEW.

This trip,our second, was not as GREAT as the previous year.

SWIM UP SUITE:
We decided to stay in a swim up suite(since we experienced a casitas the prior trip) which we now know we shouldn't have. The biggest issue(since it's on the ground floor) was the constant foot traffic/noise in the hall ways in the early morning and late night. It got VERY BAD at times. It was nice having the swim up feature, but really didn't use it enough. There is also a small foot path to and from the patio to pool. But there is sand around it so your having to wipe your feet off alot. Don't get me wrong, if hanging out at the pool all the time is your thing then a swim up suite might be for you.

SERVICE AT BEACH:
Was lacking ALOT from the first trip. It was night and day to compare. They said they were short handed. We had the same server this year as the first(sorry can't remember his name) he was VERY nice and did his best but it wasn't as good as 2012. We did tip him well even though.

FOOD:
Was basically the same as the previous year, still good but not great. Lupita was our favorite. The suishi was also VERY GOOD. The suishi guy made us a couple special custom rolls not on the menu which was a NICE touch. The breakfast room service wasn't as good as last year but the lunch was. You can order from your patio and get it deliver to you there or at your pool. Which was nice.

SERVICE:
The service was still very good. Couple of small issues but nothing too terrible. Turn down service was hit or miss. Room cleaning was good except for one day when it wasn't done until late afternoon. Luggage guys were very good as they were in 2012 (Christian & Juan Carlos). Also a nice touch...if you have a brand of liquor you want to have in your room instead of one they provide, ask for it. If they stock it you can switch one out.

SPA:

We had a couples massage again this year with the included Aqua Viva treatment and it was nice. The issue with the spa was they promised us and set up champane & strawberrys to be delivered to our room before dinner(because we were return guests) but it never happened. Even though it wasn't a major issue, we addressed it with the spa manager the next day. Don't promise something and not set it up and deliver on it....

TIPPING:
We are good tippers, even though it's not required. $1 or $2 each round, $5 each day for maid, $2 each day for mini fridge guy, $2 for turn down service, $5-$10 for luggage guys, $3 for room service & lunch and $5 at dinner. I don't believe the service changes by doing this but in most cases they deserve it.

PATRICIO (Resort Manager)
Patricio is a very nice and concerned manager when it comes to your stay and service. The first year we saw alot of him but last year not as much(don't know why). But the morning we checked out, we addressed the differences with our stay in 2012 & 2013 with him. Even though they weren't major issues, we wanted him to know. He took time to sit down with us and listen.
He said he & management would make our next stay more memorable by giving us an upgrade in room and spa treatment if we returned.

But if not for the minor issues we had this trip, I would have given The Beloved a 5 rating.

We are in the process of making a decision whether or not to return this year and am in contact with the Beloved.
Maybe 3rd times the charm....

Room Tip: Swim Up Suites are nice but do come with ALOT of hallway noise so BEWARE
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets The Vine Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!