“a relaxing environment”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Montreal, Canada
“a relaxing environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

You pay for what you get. I have been to countless all inclusives . This one by far was one of the best but very quiet and not a place to party it up. The food was great, the room was great, the gym and spa are above and beyond, a walk away to the ferry to Isla Mujeres for dirt cheap....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rfds37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

First of all, if you find something in this review that is helpful, please affirm so by clicking the helpful button. Ok, now for the review.

I've been to Mexico over 10 times and stayed at all inclusive resorts each time. I must say that this was by far the best service we have ever had. We went with three other couples and upon arrival (10:00 A.M.) only one room was ready. All of us piled into one room to wait for the others to be cleaned. The others were all ready prior to the posted check in time, with the latest being ready by 2:30. I have heard some complaints about being checked in late on other reviews, but if you watch them clean the rooms, the really clean the rooms. This also includes the pools adjacent the rooms, which also takes a little time as well.

When we got to the first room, ocean view lower level, one of the wives stepped onto the back porch and was immediately met by a waiter. He promptly took all 8 of our orders (yes, drinks at 10:00 A.M.). The waiters name is Alex and he was absolutely great. I believe that if we could sneak him back to the states we would have. Alex kept coming back again and again. Rarely would you find your glass empty, or your stomach unfulfilled when Alex was working. Yes, the two story casitas are nice, but if you get the lower level, you can have your order taken from your back porch and you rarely have to leave if you are having a good time swimming in your private pool and catching some sun.

As some reviews have stated, the restaurants are few and far between with a fairly limited selection. The grill by the pool was our favorite. They served a tenderloin that was absolutely perfectly cooked and they also served lobster, which was also incredibly delicious. The Aroma restaurant is perfect for breakfast, but I didn't really like going there for dinner. They offer an omelet bar at the north east corner of the outside seating. They don't advertize this, so you have to ask someone about it. Sometimes they have to get a cook to come from the kitchen to make the omelets. They also have a barbeque on the beach, which was average at best. Sometimes the ribs would be great and other times they were slightly under cooked. The mexican restaurant had some amazing appetizers. I would suggest going there for the appetizers early and then catching a late dinner at the grill.

One down side to this resort is the lack of transportation to the downtown area. It would be nice if they offered a shuttle to the downtown area, but instead, you might pay as much as $50 a couple to go round trip. We wanted to go to Isla Mujera one day, and figured that it would cost about $250 for our group of 8. We instead found a guy with a boat that took us directly from the beach for $150. This guy also arranged for a fishing trip that was about $200 cheaper than the rest of the ones advertized and we got to fish for about 7 hours and caught so many fish that the cooler on the boat was overflowing. Both of these trips were arranged by stoping at the little covered stand that is on the beach between the beloved and the excellence. One tip here is that the guy will tell you one price, but you can always negotiate him down. In my case, he wanted $700 for the fishing trip and I got him down to $500. The ride to Isla Mujera was also negotiated down from $200 to $150. Again that was for 8 people, so it was less than the ferry ride, plus I didn't need to take a cab and it left from the beach. Also, when we went to Isla Mujera, the guy who drove the boat was waiting for us on the beach when we got back at exactly the time he said he would be there.

Did I mention service? Before going on my fishing trip, I discussed with the head cook about getting our fish cooked. On our triumphant return from our fishing trip, I saw someone dressed in white on the shore. As we got closer, I noted that it was the head cook. How he knew we were on our way is beyond me. I can only guess that Alex told him. Anyhow, he was there to retrieve our fish. Two hours later we had the best cooked fish I've ever tasted. I've never had fish cooked with the skin on it before, but the way he salted it and broiled the outside, it made it with a crispy outer and a fluffy inner. Amazing. Back to service. We left some important items at home and had to have it sent FedEx to the resort. Due to a miscommunication, the package was not sent overnight, but was sent in a manner that would make it not get to us until Monday. Manuel, the concierge, noted that the package was in Cancun Friday at 6:00 P.M. Somehow, he paid 15 pesos of his own money and got the package delivered to us on Saturday. Again, I've stayed in Mexico over 10 times and this level of service has never happened. We also had a big football game we wanted to watch, but for some reason it was not available on the satellite system. The resort did an amazing job trying to search every alternative available, but it just wasn't meant to be. Then we received a call stating that reservations had been made for our group to go to the Outback sports bar and that a driver had been arranged as well. Wow, we were blown away again as in all my years visiting Mexico, this level of service just doesn't exist.

One thing to note that if you get a lower level room and it is ocean view, that's exactly what it is. You can see the ocean through many obstructions. The beds are hard, but you can request a mattress topper, which we did. I didn't sleep more than 5 hours at a time, even with the mattress toppers. The mini bars in the rooms are well stocked with a variety of alcohol, sodas, candy bars, chips and peanuts. They are a little stingy with the shampoo and soap, so you may want to make a request right away for a second bottle of shampoo and another bar of soap. If that fails, the supply rooms are usually left unlocked and are located across from the ice machines on the ground floor. I hit that for my extra bar of soap and another towel. Worst case, they don't require a card for a pool towel, so you can always pick up extra towels at the pool.

The spa was amazing as well. We did a couples massage with our group of 8, and spent about 2 hours in the spa. I fell asleep at least 4 times during the massage, and highly recommend it.

One thing I can say is that this resort is not the type of resort that offers entertainment and isn't the type that is conducive to late nights. We had security come to us one night and all we were doing is sitting on the back porch talking. They were nice about it, but it was a little annoying because we were making an effort to keep our voices down.

If you are going to stay here, you should seriously take into account the distance to downtown. If you are the type of person who wants to go downtown often, this resort may not be well suited for you. I would also not stay for more than 7 days due to the lack of food selection. This resort is perfect for the person who wants a quite, relaxing stay with excellent service. If that is what you are looking for, it would be difficult if not impossible to find a better place in all of Cancun.

Room Tip: Lobster and tenderloin at the grill are great, premium alcohol everywhere, ground floor of the casit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
20 Thank Jeff G
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
It is our pleasure to know that The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the hotel amenities and facilities, and lastly but no less important, the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

To all our trip advisor readers, we would like to highlight that our Hotel is certainly reclusive as it is exclusive. It is located on a two-mile stretch of powdery virgin white sand. And yet Cancun International Airport is just 30 minutes away when using a comfortable private transfer.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I just got back home from a 7 day trip to cancun with my family, and I never ever write reviews. This hotel was worth reviewing. From top shelf liquor and free reign dining option this is a 5 star hotel. The dive pools in the room and stellar rooms wi keep us coming back. My only complaint was the large amount of weddings they host makes the hotel feel less intimate and exclusive and the annoying wedding parties take over.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Isabelaogj
Bristol,connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

From the minute you arrive staff makes you feel welcome and that they truly want your stay to be the best. I was offered a discounted upgrade to a Casita and they gladly gave me a walk through the room but I declined as it was on the first floor and offered less of a view. The place is spotlessly clean with workers hustling around completing their tasks always saying hi with a smile. Staff to guest ratio seemed high. Chairs always available at the beach a little less so at the pools but it never seemed crowded. Hot snacks served on the beach everyday around noon by friendly chefs. This was in addition to anything on the menu you wanted. Restaurants were very good, El Mar, casual beach front, Isla Grill pool front, to slightly more upscale main ones Aroma and Lupita. Isla grill was our favorite. Lupita lounge was nice, bartenders were friendly making good drinks.
Managers and supervisors always interested in anything they could do to make you stay better. Get a signature massage at the Spa you'll enjoy it. Sail a catamaran, kayak, paddle boards all included. Jet ski only $50 half hour and lots of fun.
One of the best and most relaxing vacations I've had.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave P
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Myself and my partner had originally booked to stay in the excellence Playa Mujeres next door to this, however due to a change of dates we changed over to the Beloved. We were a little worried as it wasn't adults only, however having stayed we wouldn't have swapped back to the excellence.
The hotel presentation is fantastic and we felt relaxed as soon as we entered into the reception, we booked a beach front casita with a private pool which didn't disappoint, fantastic beds, a stocked all inclusive mini-bar where if you didnt like the spirits on offer they were happy to exchange for a selection of your choice. We arrived quite late so ordered room service, which arrived in 20 minutes and was presented at full restaurant quality and things did not go down in standard from here.
I find it very hard to fault this place, the staff were professional and courteous, although still open to have a laugh and a joke, the food in all the restaurants surpassed my expectations and the beach and views were fantastic too.
We are definitely planning to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Roy G
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Beloved Hotel for our anniversary and we both really enjoyed it. The room was great, the service was great and the pool was just perfect. Already looking forward to next year!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dmizrahi3
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I travel often. I spend a great deal of time researching where we stay. For some time, I had wanted to go to the Beloved Hotel because of the raving reviews on tripadvisor and also for their advertising via social media and their site. Let me begin, it takes a lot for us NOT to travel to hawaii. I love going there. So for me to chose Mexico over Hawaii, I must REALLY want to go to the resort. With that said, this place was a disappointment. It was a good time. but not great. I felt like for the same money or less we could have had a better experience. People who give this resort 5 stars honestly must not be frequent travelers with anything to compare it to. On their site, they claim to be a 5 star boutique hotel. First off, this isn't 5 star. Secondly, its not like any boutique hotel i've ever stayed at. They are stingy with the soap! (it took us four days before we could get a replacement from the little sliver we had.)

Let me begin. If your flight plans land you in Mexico early for check in, guess what? they won't let you check in early. And it wasn't just us. It's everyone. All week long during our stay I saw weary travelers in their heavy jeans walking about waiting. obviously, too early to check in. We were literally an hour and a half too early. I've been to plenty of places that let you check in early. Especially if they know you've traveled far. My day began at 5 am, last thing I wanted to do was sit outside at the beach and eat lunch in my travel clothes. But that's what they direct you to do. They don't even offer you a bathroom to freshen up. At first, this highly annoyed me. I am all about first impressions and this wasn't a good start. The check-in guy Luis is aloof. We had to deal with him all week and his attitude just irked me. The one other resort that did this, was a place we stayed 8 years ago, and funny thing is, we never went back there either.

So after I got over the checking in debacle, we were brought to our ocean view terrace suite. Which was not an ocean view or what I consider ocean view. It faced the small marina on the property. When I think ocean view, I think hearing the ocean waves. I was so tired from traveling that I couldn't even bring myself to argue this with them. I just wanted a shower. I just let it go. We were on vacation and I wanted to relax. But that's my warning, not all those Ocean Views are really of the ocean.

During our first two days, I felt like the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. As our stay continued, its like they became distracted or just disinterested or just concentrated on other guests. When we first checked in , the bellhop informed us the hotel was only at 40%. The first half of the week it was delightfully quiet. It was everything I had hoped it could be as for atmosphere and relaxation. We were looking for a laid back quiet resort. We have very stressful lives back home and we wanted to just unwind. As the week continued, more people checked in including two wedding parties. Suddenly, the peaceful resort became like a crazy drunken frenzy. If we had wanted this, we would have stayed at a resort that aims for this sort of thing. I do not want to hear a DJ blasting music while I eat lunch. I'm sorry, just not my thing.

The Beloved is huge on posting on social media sites like facebook, instagram, and twitter. I am into all of that. So before the trip, I was following them. I was so excited to go to the Natura Bar. My husband and I love smoothies. I was imagining a mini Jamba Juice or something. They built it up so much. Well, don't get excited like me. First time we went there, they weren't ready and we waited 20 minutes before we could order and they seemed unsure on what they were making. Second time, at 10:30 am, we went for a light breakfast. They told us to come back later. They weren't ready. The third time, we waited again for awhile, ordered smoothies, and then an hour later felt horribly ill. After that, we gave up.

There aren't many options for restaurants, which I was aware of before our stay. So its a mistake on my part. 7 days is just too long at this resort for the food options. You really shouldn't stay more than 5 before you become bored. The food is good, better than a resort we had stayed at in Mexico 7 years ago. But not the best all-inclusive I've ever had. I'd consider it above average but not superb. All the waiters and waitresses were excellent. They are truly the best of the resort when it comes to customer service. My favorite person actually was Sarai , the hostess, at the Aroma. She remembered our names each time. And our last night there, she was hustling about doing the work of three people. Her customer service skills are amazing. She honestly should be working the front desk instead of some other individuals.

The Maid Service is random. Some days they come at 10 am, some days you have to call at 2 because they didn't come and you need towels. (We had to do that 3 times in our stay.) They are terribly stingy with the wash towels. Its strange to me. Some days we received none. Others just one or two. I don't know about you, but I wash my face at least 3 times a day. (And I know my husband does at least twice). So one towel? After 2 days, my husband discovered a bathroom on the floor below us near the game room that had extra hand towels and he'd get them for me. Kind of silly.

Fully Stocked Bar? Not really. They give you want they want you to have. My husband and I enjoy rum. He requested a specific brand on Tuesday. After pestering, he received it on Saturday. (two days before we were leaving.) They are stingy when they restock it too. And we noticed, they don't clean the glasses. They just flip them over. We know this for a fact because my husband ashed his cigar in one, and the next day it was just flipped over like it was clean at our bar. It was not and i almost drank ash.

The room itself is slightly outdated. The furniture is a white leather that shows the dirt and wear. It definitely needs to be updated. We loved staying out on the terrace relaxing on our sunbeds and then using the plunge pool. But after a few days, I wondered if the sunbeds ever get changed. Think about it? people sweating on them constantly. We saw people below us check out and new people check in and those covers (pillows or sun beds) were not changed. Grossed me out.

The bed? YIKES. Its like sleeping on a hardwood floor. We have a wonderful soft bed at home. So this was like a rude awakening every morning. My back ached horribly.

But the part that got me the most, that really agitated me on this trip... we had reserved on Tuesday of our trip a private romantic dinner on the beach for Friday. On Thursday at like 4, they call to tell us they need to cancel. They have another engagement (one of the wedding parties). We were okay with rescheduling. But they had no free time. All weekend. So finally, we said what about tonight. So, at 7, we walked to the beach for our romantic private dinner. But instead, we saw tons of chairs and a family posing for pictures. Obviously a left over from one of the wedding parties. We waited patiently. No one from the staff said anything to us. We began to wonder if it wasn't happening. So finally, we saw a staff member clearing chairs. I felt bad. It honestly made me feel bad. This one guy working so hard to set up for us last minute. So I was like nevermind. But they insisted we have it. So we did. It was a nice dinner, nothing extravagant. Just peaceful to hear the waves. On Sunday night, our bill got slipped under our door. We were billed twice for the dinner. Once on Tuesday and again on Thursday. My husband went downstairs to resolve this. And he was given an attitude by the concierge named Sebastian. He came back upstairs and it really bothered him. The man never apologized and almost acted like my husband had to prove his case. Its not the reaction you think you'll get when you get over billed $200. No sincere apology. Nothing. He removed it from the bill and nothing else.

The next morning at check out, again we had to deal with personality lacking Luis. Once we were done with him, Patricio, who must be in charge of hospitality, asked how our stay was. I told him it was good but I really wasn't impressed. He wanted me to elaborate further. I found that frustrating. Our shuttle for the airport is about to arrive and I don't want to go over anything. I just want to get home. So he kept pressing. Finally, my husband mentions the romantic dinner. Patricio says he wants to refund us $50 in good faith. But in Spanish, Luis begins to argue with him. Now, we don't speak the greatest Spanish, but we understand it fairly well. My mother-in-law even teaches it at a high school level. So we could actually understand them speaking in spanish arguing about refunding us. It was so rude. Its like they assumed we wouldn't understand. In the end, patricio was like, well I may refund you in a day or two and you'll see it. Well, it's the next day. No refund. not that its a big deal. I mean, I sucked up the lack of ocean view so $50 really doesn't matter.

In short, the beloved is not what it advertises to be. It is not a 5 star boutique hotel. What is it? It is a small average all-inclusive resort. They seem to be very attentive to the wedding parties, so maybe its a good place to have a wedding. But even then, their beach is so small. So I don't know. I've never been so disappointed by a hotel/resort before. We still had a great vacation because we relaxed and made the most of it. But we could have done that anywhere. There was nothing overly special about this place to make me ever recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100 section face the marina not the actual ocean. I recommend getting a casita, they...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Tracy-ann S
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many well-traveled people have found The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that your check-in experience with us was not of your full satisfaction. Although each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

We also saddened to read you we not happy with your room location. At The Beloved Hotel requests are considered priority, and we always do our best to meet guest preferences when requested.

It is certainly a disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

We are very much concerned by your review and the disappointments you faced in our Natura Bar. We have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. It is our goal to maintain the highest standards for all our guests so we always make sure that the food and drinks are served according to these hygienic norms.

As per the towels service, we would like to mention that every room has a card with the proper use of this articles. If the towel is not found in the floor, the maid won’t replace it. This measurement is part of a program that helps to protect the environment.

On the other hand, allow us to apologize for the incident described as encountered with your romantic dinner. We can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Please received our warmest greetings from Cancun.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,239 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!