“Can't wait to go back”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed October 27, 2013

From the minute you arrive staff makes you feel welcome and that they truly want your stay to be the best. I was offered a discounted upgrade to a Casita and they gladly gave me a walk through the room but I declined as it was on the first floor and offered less of a view. The place is spotlessly clean with workers hustling around completing their tasks always saying hi with a smile. Staff to guest ratio seemed high. Chairs always available at the beach a little less so at the pools but it never seemed crowded. Hot snacks served on the beach everyday around noon by friendly chefs. This was in addition to anything on the menu you wanted. Restaurants were very good, El Mar, casual beach front, Isla Grill pool front, to slightly more upscale main ones Aroma and Lupita. Isla grill was our favorite. Lupita lounge was nice, bartenders were friendly making good drinks.
Managers and supervisors always interested in anything they could do to make you stay better. Get a signature massage at the Spa you'll enjoy it. Sail a catamaran, kayak, paddle boards all included. Jet ski only $50 half hour and lots of fun.
One of the best and most relaxing vacations I've had.

5  Thank Dave P
Write a ReviewReviews (3,894)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Myself and my partner had originally booked to stay in the excellence Playa Mujeres next door to this, however due to a change of dates we changed over to the Beloved. We were a little worried as it wasn't adults only, however having stayed we wouldn't have swapped back to the excellence.
The hotel presentation is fantastic and we felt relaxed as soon as we entered into the reception, we booked a beach front casita with a private pool which didn't disappoint, fantastic beds, a stocked all inclusive mini-bar where if you didnt like the spirits on offer they were happy to exchange for a selection of your choice. We arrived quite late so ordered room service, which arrived in 20 minutes and was presented at full restaurant quality and things did not go down in standard from here.
I find it very hard to fault this place, the staff were professional and courteous, although still open to have a laugh and a joke, the food in all the restaurants surpassed my expectations and the beach and views were fantastic too.
We are definitely planning to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Roy G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Beloved Hotel for our anniversary and we both really enjoyed it. The room was great, the service was great and the pool was just perfect. Already looking forward to next year!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dmizrahi3
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I travel often. I spend a great deal of time researching where we stay. For some time, I had wanted to go to the Beloved Hotel because of the raving reviews on tripadvisor and also for their advertising via social media and their site. Let me begin, it takes a lot for us NOT to travel to hawaii. I love going there. So for me to chose Mexico over Hawaii, I must REALLY want to go to the resort. With that said, this place was a disappointment. It was a good time. but not great. I felt like for the same money or less we could have had a better experience. People who give this resort 5 stars honestly must not be frequent travelers with anything to compare it to. On their site, they claim to be a 5 star boutique hotel. First off, this isn't 5 star. Secondly, its not like any boutique hotel i've ever stayed at. They are stingy with the soap! (it took us four days before we could get a replacement from the little sliver we had.)

Let me begin. If your flight plans land you in Mexico early for check in, guess what? they won't let you check in early. And it wasn't just us. It's everyone. All week long during our stay I saw weary travelers in their heavy jeans walking about waiting. obviously, too early to check in. We were literally an hour and a half too early. I've been to plenty of places that let you check in early. Especially if they know you've traveled far. My day began at 5 am, last thing I wanted to do was sit outside at the beach and eat lunch in my travel clothes. But that's what they direct you to do. They don't even offer you a bathroom to freshen up. At first, this highly annoyed me. I am all about first impressions and this wasn't a good start. The check-in guy Luis is aloof. We had to deal with him all week and his attitude just irked me. The one other resort that did this, was a place we stayed 8 years ago, and funny thing is, we never went back there either.

So after I got over the checking in debacle, we were brought to our ocean view terrace suite. Which was not an ocean view or what I consider ocean view. It faced the small marina on the property. When I think ocean view, I think hearing the ocean waves. I was so tired from traveling that I couldn't even bring myself to argue this with them. I just wanted a shower. I just let it go. We were on vacation and I wanted to relax. But that's my warning, not all those Ocean Views are really of the ocean.

During our first two days, I felt like the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. As our stay continued, its like they became distracted or just disinterested or just concentrated on other guests. When we first checked in , the bellhop informed us the hotel was only at 40%. The first half of the week it was delightfully quiet. It was everything I had hoped it could be as for atmosphere and relaxation. We were looking for a laid back quiet resort. We have very stressful lives back home and we wanted to just unwind. As the week continued, more people checked in including two wedding parties. Suddenly, the peaceful resort became like a crazy drunken frenzy. If we had wanted this, we would have stayed at a resort that aims for this sort of thing. I do not want to hear a DJ blasting music while I eat lunch. I'm sorry, just not my thing.

The Beloved is huge on posting on social media sites like facebook, instagram, and twitter. I am into all of that. So before the trip, I was following them. I was so excited to go to the Natura Bar. My husband and I love smoothies. I was imagining a mini Jamba Juice or something. They built it up so much. Well, don't get excited like me. First time we went there, they weren't ready and we waited 20 minutes before we could order and they seemed unsure on what they were making. Second time, at 10:30 am, we went for a light breakfast. They told us to come back later. They weren't ready. The third time, we waited again for awhile, ordered smoothies, and then an hour later felt horribly ill. After that, we gave up.

There aren't many options for restaurants, which I was aware of before our stay. So its a mistake on my part. 7 days is just too long at this resort for the food options. You really shouldn't stay more than 5 before you become bored. The food is good, better than a resort we had stayed at in Mexico 7 years ago. But not the best all-inclusive I've ever had. I'd consider it above average but not superb. All the waiters and waitresses were excellent. They are truly the best of the resort when it comes to customer service. My favorite person actually was Sarai , the hostess, at the Aroma. She remembered our names each time. And our last night there, she was hustling about doing the work of three people. Her customer service skills are amazing. She honestly should be working the front desk instead of some other individuals.

The Maid Service is random. Some days they come at 10 am, some days you have to call at 2 because they didn't come and you need towels. (We had to do that 3 times in our stay.) They are terribly stingy with the wash towels. Its strange to me. Some days we received none. Others just one or two. I don't know about you, but I wash my face at least 3 times a day. (And I know my husband does at least twice). So one towel? After 2 days, my husband discovered a bathroom on the floor below us near the game room that had extra hand towels and he'd get them for me. Kind of silly.

Fully Stocked Bar? Not really. They give you want they want you to have. My husband and I enjoy rum. He requested a specific brand on Tuesday. After pestering, he received it on Saturday. (two days before we were leaving.) They are stingy when they restock it too. And we noticed, they don't clean the glasses. They just flip them over. We know this for a fact because my husband ashed his cigar in one, and the next day it was just flipped over like it was clean at our bar. It was not and i almost drank ash.

The room itself is slightly outdated. The furniture is a white leather that shows the dirt and wear. It definitely needs to be updated. We loved staying out on the terrace relaxing on our sunbeds and then using the plunge pool. But after a few days, I wondered if the sunbeds ever get changed. Think about it? people sweating on them constantly. We saw people below us check out and new people check in and those covers (pillows or sun beds) were not changed. Grossed me out.

The bed? YIKES. Its like sleeping on a hardwood floor. We have a wonderful soft bed at home. So this was like a rude awakening every morning. My back ached horribly.

But the part that got me the most, that really agitated me on this trip... we had reserved on Tuesday of our trip a private romantic dinner on the beach for Friday. On Thursday at like 4, they call to tell us they need to cancel. They have another engagement (one of the wedding parties). We were okay with rescheduling. But they had no free time. All weekend. So finally, we said what about tonight. So, at 7, we walked to the beach for our romantic private dinner. But instead, we saw tons of chairs and a family posing for pictures. Obviously a left over from one of the wedding parties. We waited patiently. No one from the staff said anything to us. We began to wonder if it wasn't happening. So finally, we saw a staff member clearing chairs. I felt bad. It honestly made me feel bad. This one guy working so hard to set up for us last minute. So I was like nevermind. But they insisted we have it. So we did. It was a nice dinner, nothing extravagant. Just peaceful to hear the waves. On Sunday night, our bill got slipped under our door. We were billed twice for the dinner. Once on Tuesday and again on Thursday. My husband went downstairs to resolve this. And he was given an attitude by the concierge named Sebastian. He came back upstairs and it really bothered him. The man never apologized and almost acted like my husband had to prove his case. Its not the reaction you think you'll get when you get over billed $200. No sincere apology. Nothing. He removed it from the bill and nothing else.

The next morning at check out, again we had to deal with personality lacking Luis. Once we were done with him, Patricio, who must be in charge of hospitality, asked how our stay was. I told him it was good but I really wasn't impressed. He wanted me to elaborate further. I found that frustrating. Our shuttle for the airport is about to arrive and I don't want to go over anything. I just want to get home. So he kept pressing. Finally, my husband mentions the romantic dinner. Patricio says he wants to refund us $50 in good faith. But in Spanish, Luis begins to argue with him. Now, we don't speak the greatest Spanish, but we understand it fairly well. My mother-in-law even teaches it at a high school level. So we could actually understand them speaking in spanish arguing about refunding us. It was so rude. Its like they assumed we wouldn't understand. In the end, patricio was like, well I may refund you in a day or two and you'll see it. Well, it's the next day. No refund. not that its a big deal. I mean, I sucked up the lack of ocean view so $50 really doesn't matter.

In short, the beloved is not what it advertises to be. It is not a 5 star boutique hotel. What is it? It is a small average all-inclusive resort. They seem to be very attentive to the wedding parties, so maybe its a good place to have a wedding. But even then, their beach is so small. So I don't know. I've never been so disappointed by a hotel/resort before. We still had a great vacation because we relaxed and made the most of it. But we could have done that anywhere. There was nothing overly special about this place to make me ever recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100 section face the marina not the actual ocean. I recommend getting a casita, they...
15  Thank Tracy-ann S
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Beloved Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many well-traveled people have found The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that your check-in experience with us was not of your full satisfaction. Although each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

We also saddened to read you we not happy with your room location. At The Beloved Hotel requests are considered priority, and we always do our best to meet guest preferences when requested.

It is certainly a disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

We are very much concerned by your review and the disappointments you faced in our Natura Bar. We have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. It is our goal to maintain the highest standards for all our guests so we always make sure that the food and drinks are served according to these hygienic norms.

As per the towels service, we would like to mention that every room has a card with the proper use of this articles. If the towel is not found in the floor, the maid won’t replace it. This measurement is part of a program that helps to protect the environment.

On the other hand, allow us to apologize for the incident described as encountered with your romantic dinner. We can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Please received our warmest greetings from Cancun.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have been so pampered and catered to in a hotel EVER! The staff was so professional and courteous. The room was so amazing, I am speechless. The grounds and facilities were immaculate . The views were beautiful. The atmosphere was serene and calming. I cannot say enough .. Our son was married on the beach and I can't explain how beautiful it was. The hotel did such a beautiful job. Food was unparalleled to anything we have experienced. The entertainment was great. I will recommend this establishment to everyone. Don't hesitate.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bridm01
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We've done the Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso & Excellence Riviera Cancun - I wanted to do a smaller, upscale AI so The Beloved was a great choice. I loved it and would go again in a heartbeat...my husband liked it but would rather try someplace else instead.

Check in was a bit slow - there was a wedding party checking in whose reservations were a bit mixed up, so I don't fault the staff for the wait. Once we went to check in, we were offered a discount to upgrade to the penthouse...ended up deciding to pay a little bit to upgrade our full stay to a terrace suite...and then ended up that they didn't have it available. So we stayed in a two bed junior suite (we had requested a king suite) for the first two days, and instead of a terrace suite the last two days, we were given the penthouse instead. Fair trade :)

Food was pretty good. Not 5 star big city dining, but food was overall more solid than other places we have been. Drink service at the restaurants was great (especially the mixed drinks at Isla Grill). Included wine wasn't bad at all (a normal complaint for me at AIs). Enjoyed sushi & cocktails before dinner several nights, though had to cut it a bit short due to the citronella (I'm allergic...not their fault). Loved having fresh smoothies after breakfast (thought I'm not sure it was necessary after a morning of huevos rancheros & mimosas). Loved that their Mexican restaurant actually had non-Americanized food. Also loved the cheese cart in Amore at dinner. Isla Grill had wonderful soups in the evening. I found the pizza on the beach to be "eh" but I'm always happy to just eat more guacamole :)

LOVED the rooms. Even our first room was great. We tend not to be room dwellers, so it was a good size. Though I must admit to really enjoying the private pool on the penthouse deck. Housekeeping was efficient & room service very prompt. We did take to spending a lot of time on our deck once we moved to the penthouse...who can beat champagne delivered to your table with your lunch :)

I found the service to be pleasant and not too intrusive. I would have liked to have more beach/pool service (at the small pools closer to the rooms, you were lucky to see a drink person twice a day). Beach service was better but still sparse. I loved the big beds on the beach, but my husband is a reclining chair person, and he hated theirs (I must admit they were not the most comfortable).

I did want to point out that this was our first foray into AIs that allowed children, and if my children are as well behaved as these kids were, I wouldn't hesitate to have one immediately :) Mostly infants/toddlers, and a few family groups with elementary school aged children. Better behaved than most adults and provide some extra happy moments around the resort. The kids club looks REALLY nice but was mostly unused during our visit.

We will probably try someplace else, as we tend not to go to the same place time after time...but this is a solid pick for us to return to.

Room Tip: I liked our room for location best in the 2nd block (rooms all start with 2XX). It's in the mid...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsKruse

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your feedback with regards our food quality in certain areas. We will forward your comments to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Get ready for a long and detailed review of this heaven on earth place. After having ready so many reviews on so many places before picking this location, I have to say that any review on this place that says anything less than 100 percent satisfaction is inaccurate. OK OK lets be fair every one is entitled to their opinion but the post several reviews back talking about no one speaking English and no eggs.....I say no way no how! Ok here we go.

We flew into Cancun International and used BD travel (Best Day Travel) for our transfer from the airport to the hotel. Going through Customs once we got off the plane was pretty painless, we went to baggage claim and got our bags. Then you must go into another line that randomly selects people for a further check before going through the big doors and being released to the wolves. LOL I say this because it is passed this point that all the excursion and transfer people can stand and sell their services. If you have already pre purchased your transfer, don't look at these folks, don't let anyone in your group look at these folks, and walk on outside. Walking through these folks honestly wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be. Once outside you will find your transfer service or CAB, and away you go. I will say that I was very happy with the service we used, and will definitely use them again next time we go.

Arrival at hotel.

You go through downtown and pass some rundown buildings and then drive through some jungle country side, at which point you may start to think Uh Oh, where are we going. Hang in there. You will pass through a check point that says Playa Mujeras, which has controlled access and a guard standing there checking you in. You then go a little further back, pass a fountain in the ground (which didn't work while we were there) and eventually end up at the front of the hotel. I did not take any pictures here because there are plenty of pics already on here that accurately depict the front of the hotel.

Check In

As is stated numerous times, we were instantly greeted by hotel staff and given cold towels and glasses of champagne. After tipping the driver, we went inside and only had to sit a few minutes while waiting on staff to check us in. As we entered you could instantly smell a nice scent coming from the office. It smelled like a very relaxing scent that very high end spas use. I have read people complaining about how strong the smell is but come on, Its great!!! It sets the mood for the rest of the trip. Check in was painless. They took a couple picture of us together, and then we were greeted by a staff member who had our bags on a cart and was ready to escort us to our room.

Room.

We stayed in Swim up Suite Room #204 and, when we do return (definitely will) we will stay in this kind of room again. Upon entering our room our bell hop asked if he could also come in too to unload our bags. The TV was on playing a very nice, soft music. The drapes to the large sliding glass door leading to our private garden and swim up pool were open. This room was amazing. As everyone else states, it was so large, there is a huge walk in shower with a bench, a rain shower head, body jets, and a second hand held wand. There was a light in both the shower and the stall for the toilet. The room had its own iron, hair drier, ipod docking alarm clock, private bar stocked with top shelf stuff. They will trade out the liquor for something you would rather have, but you have to give up something in return. Not a bad deal since one of the things our bar was stocked with was a red wine and we knew we would have plenty of access to that at dinner. Anyway, The room was excellent, superb, top notch, however else you can describe perfect! WE used the swim up pool several times, as well as the In Room Jacuzzi, and the hottub outside. It was all great!

Dining.

The food was always great, plenty of options, formal, non formal, 24 hour room service, breakfast at the restaurant, Lunch on the beach. Here is the one thing to know. The website says dress code at the formal options for men at dinner includes Bermuda shorts and nice dress shirt. The dress code at the hotel says dress pants, and mentions nothing about Bermuda shorts. I took dress sandals, Bermuda Shorts, and dress shirts, and there were no problems, even though the bellhop said there may be. We spoke with the concierge desk and he said if there were any problems he would set things straight for us. Very Helpful and we appreciate it. Lupita was a great place for a romantic dinner with there being several courses served. The Sushi at Lupita Lounge is delicious. Im telling you, no way to narrow it down. Also please remember, if it is not on the menu they can make it. They special made many things for me. Just be nice and tip when they do. They don't make too much money. OK Food was great on to the next.

Beach.

The beach was great. The first day the wind and waves were high. There was a lot of seaweed on the beach and floating around the swim area, But they were doing everything to keep it cleaned. The next days the beach was clean, water calm and crystal, and everything was great! The beach servers work hard to keep you drinking and eating if you so wish. You can use knee boards, boogie boards, snorkel gear, small catamaran sail boat, all for free. Great deal! You can also rent really fast wave runners, for fifty bucks a half hour. Also great deal!!! The staff at the equipment center which is on the beach will bend over backwards for you!

Bars.

There are several to choose from, but we spent a majority of our time at the Lobby Bar, The Swim Up Bar in the main pool, and visited Lupita Lounge Bar once. Again, The service is amazing, and I will recognize those who went above and beyond in another section.

Isla Mujeras

I put my review about that here because so many people who go to this hotel also talk about wanting to go to Isla Mujeras, which is the island right across from The Beloved. One piece of advice is to go!! It was fantastic. There are several ways you can get there, like booking a catamaran snorkel excursion that also gives you a few hours on the island, or take a cab to the marina with the Ferry that takes you straight there. We took the cab and Ferry ourselves, as we wanted more time on the island. The cab fare was 16 USD to the Ferry, the Ferry Fare was 24 USD for two people (that was total) round trip. Once we got to the island, and exited the marina area, we went straight across the street and rented a golf cart that we had total use of until 5pm that day. It cost 45 USD and that included insurance incase you had a wreck. Great deal in my opinion. We went to the tutle farm (Tortugranja) and took a tour for 3 USD a person. We got to see so many sea turtles, adults and babies, and other sea wildlife. This was a lot of fun for 3 bucks each and I recommend it. Just be ready for a little bit of a haul, it was about a 30 minute golf cart ride from the rental area. We then went to the other end of the island closest to the marina. This is where all the shops and restaurants were. There are a few restaurants I will recommend.
JAX, which is on the very end, is owned by a guy that lives in Austin Texas, they play country music and have Texas décor. We are from texas so we felt like Home. Also 5 caronas for 8 bucks. Cant beat that.
For some delicious fish tacos, Don Chepos is the best ever. They are off the beaten path but just ask someone and they will guide you there. We stumbled on this little place and Im glad we did. You get three tacos and 2 beers for 95 pesos. Great deal!
Bally Hoos is also delicious for tacos, and they are on the beach about midway in the tourist area of the strip behind a gas station that all the taxis used. They had great food and drinks.
Isla was a great time and I wish we could have stayed there longer. Maybe a couple of nights there will be in our future.

The rest of the trip was spent lounging around the hotel nursing sunburns and enjoying all that The Beloved life had to offer. Some names I want to mention are.

Patricio was one of the main managers, he was outstanding to make sure any question we had was answered. My Fiance got a very bad sunburn or allergic reaction on her leg. The lifeguards helped medicate it, and Patricio found out and was VERY attentive to making sure we had everything. He even offered to call into the drug store to have some ointment delivered to the Hotel if need be. He asked us each time he saw us if we were ok and how her leg was. He was very great and we really appreciate him.

Guillermo at the Lobby Bar - BEST BARTENDER EVER - Im sorry Trip Advisor I know I used all caps but that is the only way to describe him. He was funny, personable, and was always ready and willing to make you whatever you wanted whenever you wanted however you wanted. If you sit at his bar you will never go without, ever. Thanks Guillermo for making our trip better than what it could have already been. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

William at the Lobby Bar - Also an outstanding bar tender, he was really into the mixology stuff, which once you go there you will know this is a really cool and new way of making drinks. He special made many drinks for us to test, it is obvious that you take pride in your work and what you do! Thanks!!

Valdemar and Eduardo at the Swim Up Bar, You guys were outstanding and really made our days at the pool great and fun! Eduardo also switched and went to being a beach server which worked out cause we started hanging out at the beach too. He made sure you were never empty handed, was always so respectful, and willing to help. You guys were both great!!

Heyden at the Lupita Lounge was perfect, We regretfully only got to spend one evening with him but he was so enjoyable and helpful while we were eating sushi and drinking several different drinks. Heyden, Hope you enjoy that Cider and Guiness that we talked about!! haha

Lupita Restaurant - - Felix found out that my fiancé and I were recently engaged and he made us a little note on our little special cake that he also made us for our engagement. His service was fast and the food was terrific.

There is not one thing I can complain about, except for the large group of people that arrived one day before we left. While on the beach we overheard the way they spoke with the beach rental guys, the bartenders, the servers, and it was really quite demanding and rude when not necessary. These guys go above and beyond to make your stay great, please as respectful to them as you want them to be with you. You get further with honey than vinegar right???

Hope this helps. I meant to answer questions could not find the answers to before we went on our trip. Definitely book this place, you will LOVE IT!!

Room Tip: Swim Up Suite was GREAT! From what we saw all rooms except for two story casitas are the same size...
8  Thank James G

It is our pleasure to know that The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay due to our hotel facilities, the food & drinks quality encountered, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. Please be sure that Patricio, Guillermo, William, Valdemar, Eduardo, Heyden and Felix will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!