“Perfecto!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
“Perfecto!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you are looking for pure relaxation, impeccable service and exceptional food, this is your choice! The hotel is lovely and the staff is trained in a true customer service manner. The hotel is a 20 minute cab ride to Cancun and the hotel zone so if you need loud action on your vacation, this is not for you. At TBH, you can relax, golf, swim, walk the lovely beach, enjoy yoga and other daily fitness classes and be pampered in ways that exceed your expectations. Don't miss the Spa. Best services ever. Try the Four Elements for a true slice of nirvana! We give this a 5+++++

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

On arrival at the Beloved, we were greeted by a very friendly Concierge person with Champagne and a cold towel, which was just what we needed after eleven hours on a plane!

The room we had was a Junior Suite, which was gorgeous. It was very spacious and on the balcony was a lovely bed to watch the world go by on. I had my doubts about the bathroom before we went as I like privacy and we also have a ten year old daughter is very self conscious and thought this would be a problem. Yes, the toilet isn't as private as I'd hoped but not that bad as it had a frosted glass door but there was a gap at the bottom. The shower had the same type of door. What I was concerned about was that you would be able to see through to the shower from the living area but you can't. The mini bar was the best we've ever had with full size branded bottles of spirits. There were also chocolate bars, crisps and plenty of soft drinks which were replenished daily.

There are three pools and the pool with the bar seemed to be the busiest. This pool was also the warmest. The other two pools were ice cold! What we liked about the pools was that they were the same depth all the way along. The downside was that there is a dip along the edge of the pool which have fountains but this would make me very nervous if I had a toddler as they could easily fall in and it wouldn't be pleasant. Despite this, it did look attractive. Our only complaint about the pool areas was that there were no where near enough sun beds. We found that by 6am, all beds would be claimed by people putting their towels on them. What made it worse that people would leave them all day long so that no one else could use them. We actually watched a family who had claimed two beds and were nowhere to been all day until 4pm when they came back and swanned off to the beach. This made our blood boil to say the least. In the end, as much as I resented the beds being claimed, I had to join the 6am club in order to get a bed, which we stayed on from 8.30am until about 4.30pm. The hotel really need to clamp down on this as there are some extremely selfish people. The pool attendants were very accommodating and Luis refreshed us on a regular basis in a very happy manner.

The restaurants were OK. Our favourite for evening meals was Aroma but service was very hit or miss when they were busy. The food was nice but very samey as they don't change the menu. It's quite ironic that you get a greater scope of meals on the room service menu. We didn't bother trying Lupita because we didn't really like the look of the menu and there wasn't much choice for two fussy kids! Isla Grill again very samey and hit and miss with the service. El Mar had good Pizzas and was a great place to chill out and look over the ocean.
My husband thought breakfast was the best meal of the day because there was so much choice and lots of fresh food. There were two ladies who greeted us every morning with a smile, which starts your day off well.

Staff at the hotel were generally very friendly and accommodating, always acknowledging us, whether they were cleaners or management. The only staff who were not very friendly were the Reception staff. When we checked out, the lady didn't even ask if we enjoyed our stay, she was actually a bit rude as it felt like we were interrupting her.

At night time, the hotel is extremely quiet and it gets a bit boring. For the amount of kids who stay there, you would think they could organise entertainment for them. We found ourselves going to bed really early because there wasn't anything to do apart from drink at the cocktail bar!

Our 6 year old loved the kids club but we would have been concerned if she was any younger as we quite often found her playing outside of the club where she just decided to leave. Luckily they can't really go far but with pools around, you can't be too careful. There wasn't a sign in/sign out procedure or high level locks, which we have always found in other hotels we have stayed at.

The hotel is very out of the way and Taxi's aren't cheap. We paid a lovely taxi driver called Luis 1000 peso's to take us to La Isla Shopping Mall on Cancun Island. For this, we had three hours at the Mall where he waited for us and he then offered to take us to a Flee Market for an hour too but we didn't bother with that. On our way back, he took us via the coastal road, which was lovely and he stopped to show us some Mayan ruins and pointed out other land marks. He even stopped just inside the hotel gates to show us some Parrots and Iguanas which we would never have known about.

A trip to Isla Mujeres is a must. We got a taxi to the Ferry which cost 130 peso's and the Ferry cost 140 peso's each. When we got there, we hired a golf buggy for two hours and drove around the island which was great fun. Don't forget to take your driving licence. The views on this island are spectacular, looking out on to the turquoise coloured sea, with a rugged coast line. We ended up at a Mayan sanctuary, which was interesting where you can stop for a drink. It reminded me of Lands End but nicer!

This hotel is beautiful but a little quiet for us. We would recommend it to anyone who wants to go and totally relax but if you're looking for more, you might get bored. We stayed 10 nights because the flight from the UK is so long but found most people eg American's & Canadian's stayed a maximum of 7 nights.

We will definitely return to Mexico. Mexican's are the nicest people we have ever met.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Katie F
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We returned to the Beloved at the end of February for a second visit. I'm going to rank this trip with three stars, but would add a half star if it was an option as we did really have a nice trip.

We were greeted with a welcome drink and asked to sit down to check in. Just as last time, the guys up front aren't exactly friendly - I have to wonder if they are instructed not to smile. We were booked for a swim up suite, they offered an upgrade of an ocean view which I turned down - the guy seemed very put off by this. A few days into our trip I had to return to the lobby area b/c my key would not work - they reactivated it and sent me off, again would not work, had to walk back to the lobby - they did it again much to my annoyance (why not just give me a new card?), and once again it would not work - I finally asked that someone come with me so I didn't spend all afternoon walking back and forth - they should have insisted someone help me the first time. The guy verifies my key is not working, let's me in my room and says he will send someone with a new key - I wait 10 minutes and finally a new key arrives. No apologies.

The rooms and grounds were wonderful, just as last time. Our swim up suite room was fantastic! Great view, private and relaxing. I wish I was back in that room right now. The grounds are very clean.

The beach - we had no issues with sea grass like some others had. It did rain on the last day and there was grass in the shallow part of the water, but that's nature, not the fault of the resort. The reviews are true about "reserving" your chairs. If you have not placed your belongings on a chair by about 8:30am, you're not going to get a good spot. I read the reviews so I knew what to expect, I just headed over to the beach before breakfast. The servers at the beach were wonderful - they really hustled all day long. We ended up eating lunch at the beach most days - food was okay. The chips were fantastic.

The last time we were at the resort it had not yet switched to all inclusive. The food was excellent. We brought my sister and brother in law with us this time, I had been going on and on about how amazing the fish tacos were from the Isla Grill. We sat down for lunch, ordered the tacos and the disappointment in the food started…. There was barely any fish in the tacos, I have no idea if the fish even tasted the same as there wasn't enough to even taste. The I ordered shrimp fajitas, how could they screw that up? They did. You know those tiny bay shrimp that is served on some salads? This is what they presented as fajitas. They were awful. That was the last time we ate at the Isla Grill - wow it's really went downhill. We at at the Lupita restaurant twice - it was decent. Service was fine. We ate at Aroma once, really nothing special. Service okay. We went to the beach buffet another night, it was really bad. Overall the food was a complete disappointment.

I do want to point out some positives in the food area before leaving the subject - the breakfast was still outstanding. Great service, great atmosphere and food selection. Also the ceviche and the sushi were fantastic! It takes quite awhile to be prepared as it's just two guys in a little bar, but it's definitely worth the wait. Very fresh.

I want to point out two outstanding folks - Christian at the swim up bar was so friendly and nice. The other bartenders barely looked up at you. And Eduardo hustled throughout the entire resort - really appreciated his help during our stay.

With regards to room service - there was no ordering anything that was not on the room service menu. When ordering beer they demanded to know how many people were in your room. We had four adults and they would only give us six beers per request (silly when you have four full bottles of liquor on the bar in your room). They would not bring you a drink from the bar - you had to walk across the resort if you wanted to enjoy a cocktail on your patio (there were only two bars open after 5pm and they were a good 5 min walk from most rooms). We asked for fresh juice to be delivered to mix with our liquor - they were always out. This was very annoying and disappointing. Our room service experience definitely gets a big thumbs down.

When reading this review about service and what not please note- we were tipping all day long, including a generous tip at dinner.

My son is 4 1/2 he absolutely loved the kids water park. He didn't go to the kids club, but some other parents told us their children were really enjoying it. There are strollers EVERYWHERE! But again, all of the children were very well behaved. This is not a resort to take a crazy hyper active child.

Most people got dressed up for dinner. Most women wore dresses and heels. Loved the atmosphere in the Lupita Lounge - very chill. There were children there, but again well behaved. It was nice as a parent to be able to hang out in a cool bar type atmosphere and not get dirty looks from others b/c you had a child with you - they were welcome.

As I mentioned before, the resort is beautiful, the weather was beautiful and we did have a good trip. It was disappointing b/c this resort offers so much for a parent - modern rooms, lounge, etc. but fell short with the food and service - so much so I doubt we will return for a third visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank kjchicagomom
Cool, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

What a terrific place...greeted with champagne & a smile at the door, & it just got better from there! The room was beautiful, very clean & comfortable...loved the splash pool up top. The service was top rate, every request was met within minutes & with a smile. It was so worth it to rent a private cabana on the beach...so nice, with your own server for endless drinks & snacks! The food was delicious, very fresh, loved all the seafood. The only drawback was lots of kids (it was Spring Break), but cool meeting & chating with a very international group of travelers. I would highly recomend this for a relaxting stay...don't miss the spa treatments!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cool, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place has, by far, the best customer service I've ever seen! The whole staff was friendly and attentive from the General Manager to the gardener! Everyone was invested to ensure that we were happy and comfortable! The room was opulent! We rented a beach front Casita with a plunge pool. Very private and beautiful! the restaurants were excellent! No waiting! Fresh seafood! 24/7 room service and minibar (all included). Beautiful grounds!! I can't say enough. We read the reviews before we booked and expected a great stay, but I must say that I was still pleasantly surprised at how nice it was! Good job Beloved! We'll be back!!

Room Tip: Beach front 2 story Casita is well worth the money!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robynpask
Paget Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just got back from a one week stay at the Beloved (2 adults, 2 kids 3&6) and had a great time, although I agree with some comments made by jeanwarne's recent review.

Positives:
The room was great, very big, good bathroom and bar area and comfy outside loungers. We had a swim up suite which was good for the kids. Housekeeping generally great although the turndown service was often too late (past 9pm and kids asleep!). On the last day we were left home made easter eggs which the kids loved.
Resort was very clean and there were lots of groundspeople keeping garden areas pristine. They were trying to stay on top of the seaweed at the beach but there was a lot of it!
Staff were friendly and resort felt safe enough to let my 6 year old daughter have some freedom to go to the juice bar with her new friends.
Spa service was excellent, had a great massage, manicure/pedicure and water treatment.

Negatives
The service in the restaurants was generally poor. They seemed very understaffed/disorganized and we were often left for long periods with no service - exception being Lupita. The food was hit and miss and not consistent and we would not have been happy with the food if staying for 2 weeks. The best meal was breakfast. The white wine off the wine list did not seem to be kept well chilled and put us off ordering after the first 2 nights.

Overall I would recommend the resort to anyone looking for a relaxing place to spend time with young kids.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank NatalieKershaw
smithtown, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I did my research.it is our 15 year anniversary and we wanted something a little special. Boy, was I wrong. Even my 6 yr. old said, please, let's leave this place stinks! I reviewed and reviewed this hotel. We were so let down. We just got home. All we can say is that it was so overrated! Overpriced. We spent soooooo much money on our vacation. It was nothing to brag about. My expectations were so high. Did the people who visited here ever go to a Ritz Carlton? JWMarriott? The Rosewood Mayakoba? Those places have AMAZING service.
We have been to Cancun 13x. This was the worst. The service was just ok. They are so understaffed. The staff tries but cannot accommodate. We waited 25 minutes for some sort of acknowledgement at dinner one night. No menu, no drink, no silverware. We upped and left. This was common for all meals at all restaurants all of the time! We ate at the same place everyday for lunch and dinner. It got old quick. We met 2 good service people. The weather wasn't the best, so we found that
We were just walking around aimlessly.There is absolutely nothing to do. I mean nothing.My son hated the kids club. My husband tried bribing him one night and he still refused. They charge for extras. We heard music one night and we were told to leave or pay $25pp to stay and listen to the DJ as they did mohito tastings? Really? If we went to another bar mohitos were free. There were plenty more extras... Too much to write.
The seaweed is disgusting. My poor son looked at the beach with disgust. We built a moat out of seaweed to block anymore seaweed from washing ashore so he can dig in the sand.
My room was nice. We stayed in a 2 story casita. The pools were so cold. No where to sit at the pool. I woke up at 6 one am looked out the sliders and people already claimed all of the beds by the pool. Some people claimed the pool bed and beach lounges. Ridiculous. We didn't go in the pool or the beach the entire week.
There weren't even shops at the resort. Just a convience store that tried charging me $10 for a plastic pen that fell when i was looking at something else. The woman claimed I cracked the cover. I told her, how do you know I did it? It could have been like that. It was so small. She forced me to buy it, I told her that I am not spending that much on a pen with glitter in it. She took 30% off. I never went back in. I tried to bring it up to the concierge but he wanted no part of it.
Upon departure, not one person asked any of us how our vacation was. Where was the service? Kind of cold. No cornbread for us. If you tipped, we saw that you got better service. We did tip at each meal and at the end of the week a few extra people.
I think this place is great for people with toddlers. You can bring them to the room, have them nap and lay by your pool.
If this was our 1x time to Cancun we would never go back!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#4 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,098 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!