“Lovely hotel, great service”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was looking for somewhere nice, quiet with a good beach location, for a relaxing weekend, and this hotel fit the bill perfectly. I was a bit concerned about booking an all-inclusive as they tend to be overrun by drunken parties, but it was not the case here. Most of the guests were young couples with small babies/kids, who were all very well behaved and there was no loud music throughout the day, like at the Excellence next door; absolute bliss. Most of the staff is delightful and a special mention goes to Freddy, Alex and Alfredo who look after guests on the beach and pool area and are simply outstanding. I am a vegetarian with a whole string of food allergies, so wasn't expecting to eat much, but they always prepared something special for me, with no issues at all. The beach is a bit narrow, but very well kept (thoroughly cleaned daily), there are plenty of sun loungers, and a constant stream of food/drinks brought to you by the beach service guys, without even having to walk up to the bar to place an order. The rooms are very large and very beautiful. I had a "standard" room with pool view and I loved it. If money was no object, I'd upgrade to one of the terrace roof top suites overlooking the beach, just for the view.
I only have a couple of minor complaints: not all the reception staff is particularly friendly (as opposed to rest of staff, from the bell boys to cleaners). Early check-in (1pm) was not an option and when i asked if I could delay my check out by one single hour, I was simply reminded of the official check in/out times. I then asked someone else and was granted the extra hour, but the guy that said no the first time looked pretty annoyed when I checked out. I understand that these type of requests are not always possible, but it could have been handled a bit better. The orientation of the hotel and beach aspect mean that at this time of the year, there is no sun to be had after 4pm as it sets behind the hotel. The pools are a bit small, with not that many sun loungers; I saw a few guests blocking their seats at 7am in the morning but then turning up at 11am. It was not an issue for me, as I prefer the beach, but I don't think it's fair and should not be allowed.
The hotel is not cheap, but considering the quality of the accommodation, food, service and relaxing environment, I think the price is fair. I have recommended it to all my friends and would definitely stay here again. I just hope they don't hike up the entertainment, like they do at the hotel next door, as there are very few hotels left in the area, that are still so beautifully peaceful, but with a 5* service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank AnonymusLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (3,827)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My boyfriend and just returned from the most amazing vacation. The beloved hotel playa mujers is one of the most amazing hotels we had ever stayed at. The rooms were amazing as well as the service. The staff was so pleasant and welcoming. The food was amazing; my favorite restaurant was the Isla Grill where we met our waiter Noe. He made our experience amazing. We loved it so much we ate there twice out of the four nights we stayed there!! Our last night in The Beloved Hotel Noe had arranged a special dinner for us. Him and some of the staff really made our last day amazing. We will definitely be going back there soon! Highly recommended.

3  Thank Irene G
Reviewed November 20, 2012

All of the good reviews are spot on. A beautiful place to unwind. Spotless, beautiful, great rooms, even better staff. We booked right through the hotel site and got a great deal with airfare. We got picked up by the hotel arraigned transport service in a brand new Suburban. We had the terrace suite ,wow! HUGE terrace with great views,always kept immaculately .
Food was excellent ,plenty of variety, well prepared and presented,great room service.
The staff couldn't do enough for you.
We loved that there were no lines for dinner reservations, food or drinks, there was always chairs available at the beach and pool, no towel cards or chair saving games like the big resorts.
The last night the management set up a special 5 course surf and turf dinner at Lupita that was out of this world.
If you want a relaxing first class vacation without crowds and loud partying , do not hesitate to come to this resort.
Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Terrace Suite
4  Thank dennisc1
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was at the Beloved Hotel from November 1-4, 2012 for a wedding, and stayed an additional night until November 5th due to food poisoning. Since I was too weak to travel, I was forced to stay another night at the hotel.

Management was terrible (particularly Carina Martinez the manager on duty), they lacked any empathy regarding the situation, and I was bullied into paying cash to see the hotel doctor, pay full price for another night (we were refused the original discounted price we paid as part of the wedding group), and even refused crackers by room service. My friend who I accompanied on the trip made trips back and forth to one of the restaurants for me once I was able to eat, for crackers and broth.

There were lots of problems with this resort that I could have overlooked, even the mistakes that can lead to an illness of this nature. But by ignoring my situation, and by being rude and accusatory, I cannot forgive the terrible experience I had at this hotel.

I do not recommend this hotel. The atmosphere is extremely robotic, and the service is absolutely terrible compared to any other hotel I have stayed at.

However, I may not have bothered to write this view if my experience had not turned so sour. Despite that, though, I can honestly say even without food poisoning I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are not private. The food is mediocre, and it is extremely difficult to get to and from th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
24  Thank Kimberly P
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was initially put off by the fact that the hotel seemed totally deserted when my group of friends first arrived and our room was not ready. This was my first time in Cancun and I was looking forward to relaxing at a 5-star hotel and celebrate my friend's wedding. My plan was to stay at the resort for 3 nights, then travel to Tulum or to another beach and stay in hostels for 3 days before heading back to the States. My plans to travel were ruined when my friend and travel partner got food poisoning at the hotel and flew home early to recover.

Room: The room is beautiful, although the set up is weird and lacks privacy. There is a glass door to the toilet room (the bathroom is open and the sinks are directly behind the bed) does not provide any privacy. This wouldn't be too bad, except for when my friend got food poisoning and couldn't even be sick in the bathroom without feeling like I could hear/smell everything.

Staff: The majority of the staff were very nice and accommodating. However, they were like robots. As long as nothing out of the ordinary happened, they were great. But if you had a request that was outside the box, they did not know how to respond. It was the worst with management, specifically with Carina Martinez. When my friend called the front desk to let them know she had food poisoning and ask to extend the check out time, the manager showed ZERO compassion or sympathy. At no point did she apologize or even ask how she was doing. My friend got food poisoning on what was suppose to be our last day at the resort, and we had to extend our stay an extra night because she was too ill to travel. In addition to the lack of sympathy, the manager made us pay in advance for the extra night and did not even give us the group discount for being there with the wedding.

Service: The food service was spotty, which is disappointing for a 5-star resort that was not even that crowded. Most of the time, the food took forever to arrive. One night, we didn't even get the appetizers we ordered.

Food: The food was mediocre, definitely not what you'd expect in a fancy resort. The quality of steaks were poor, lobster overcooked, and shrimp were tiny.

Alcohol: This was probably the best part of the whole experience. The options were great - everything from Bombay Sapphire to Johnny Walker Black. They even give you a stocked bar with several different bottles of 'top shelf' alcohol.

Beach: Small, but pretty. It was nice to have beach chairs and food/drink service by the beach.

Resort: The resort has a modern look and is nice. However, they seem to think people enjoy the smell of citronella. The smell of citronella was strongest in the lobby. Also, keep in mind the resort is far from the main strip. You have to catch a cab (which is expensive in Cancun) to go to the hotel or club zones.

Overall, I had a great time with the group I was with and the wedding was beautiful. Unfortunately, it all went downhill when my friend got food poisoning the morning after the wedding, the hotel manager refused to accommodate us, and the rest of our trip was ruined.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
18  Thank Tina B
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is by far the best all inclusive resort we have stayed at. My husband and I enjoy all inclusives every year and this was top notch. It started with the taxi service that the Hotel arranged for us for the airport transfer. The driver had cool towels waiting for us and bottles of water when we entered the car. He even accomanied my husband into the convenience store when we stopped to buy a few beers for the ride! The car was new and we felt as if we were in a limosine. The lobby of the hotel smelled wonderfully spa like when we walked in and were greeted with glasses of champagne and smiling faces. Check in was quick and easy and we were escorted to our room. The room was gorgeous and comfortable. We had a casita with a plunge pool on the ground level. Our friends had a 2 story casita with plunge pool. They were both fantastic and I would be happy with either one. I did like the 2 story casita as the night time views were excellent from up high. I loved having the plunge pool and also fell asleep on bed outside a couple of nights. It was so comfy! 24 hour room service was excellent. We enjoyed the cabana on the beach for 3 days (this is an extra charge of $45 but well worth it. Every day we had excellent staff waiting on us always with happy smiles on their faces no matter where we were. The only thing that I can say that they could possibly improve on was the dinner in a couple of the restaurants. It was never bad but sometimes I was surprised that it wasn't better. It never stopped me from eating and it wouldn't keep me from going back. I did love the pizza's at lunch and the sushi was better than I expected. We also enjoyed a wonderful buffet the last night (I am not a buffet kind of girl). If you are looking for a fun day trip, take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres and enjoy the hustle and bustle of the little Island. It felt safe and it is great fun to people watch! All in all, I can't say enough good about The Beloved. We really will be back!

Room Tip: Beachside casita is not really beachside but still beautiful!
4  Thank JackiePAtlanta
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The reviews really accurately represent the quality and value that this hotel offers. The entire resort is immaculate and has all of the modern expected appointments. The rooms are spacious and spotless. For most guests, the small number of rooms and boutique-y atmosphere are a big plus. While we were there, the guests were mostly comprised of couples with young children and couples mostly 30+ years. This is not a party atmosphere and I think that teenagers and young couples might get bored as there is really no nightlife to speak of, except for tasteful live music at some of the restaurants. However, for the right demographic, this resort is a relaxing and restful oasis.

The staff is really what makes this resort special. They go above and beyond at all times. They doted on my children and really made every effort to make sure that my family was well taken care of. There are too many staff we have to thank- but too name a few- Lidia, Alex, Susana, Daniel, Freddy, Concepcion and staff at Lupita restaurant- were all exceptional. Travelling with young children can be challenging and I wanted to avoid the rigid rules that are apparent at some other high end resorts (required restaurant reservations, dress codes, etc.) The staff accomodated all reasonable requests which made travelling with a 2 year old more enjoyable! We found that although there were many young children there, that the parents kept them under control and were more than willing to leave any common area if the children were not behaving.

Cons- Well, the only issue that was sort of a surprise was the bathroom situation in the hotel room. As others have described, the toilet "stall" is really just that. In the bathroom, there is a glass door that does not go up to the ceiling or reach the floor and is is opaque in the center, but clear around the sides. To put it plainly, if anyone else is in the room while someone is in the bathroom, then you can hear all of the sounds occurring in the bathroom as if you were in there with them. And if you walk by, you can see in too- the toilet faces the glass door. Who wants to be looking at someone face to face when they are using the toilet? That is a bit disconcerting to say the least. Even if it were just my husband and I, I think a bit more privacy would be appreciated. Also, the shower door is see through glass. Again, extremely luxurious shower, but I would have appreciated a bit more privacy with the kids running around.

Beach- nice beach but be warned that some days it can have more beach grass than others. We had a decent amount of seaweed when we were there, but we still stayed on the beach each day and enjoyed it. The sand was powdery and white and the staff worked hard to clear the seaweed and any other debris on the beach daily- it was very very clean. There were great palapas on the beach and always plenty of loungers. Being served lunch on the beach everyday was one of the great highlights of our trip!

Food- for the most part was very good and plentiful. We loved Lupita and all of the mexican food that we had. Breakfasts were great. There was a buffet at Aroma, but a full a la carte menu with mexican and american choices. Really they had everything- eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast all made to order. We were more satisfied with the contemporary mexican offerings than the filet mignon and lobster, which I was not happy with. The filet was chewy/rubbery and the lobster was just very tough ( I didn't eat it). Desserts were not amazing, but were more hit or miss. Overall, I was very happy with the food and we definitely ate enough great food there! Drinks were all of a high standard as well.

Room-We stayed in the two story beachfront casita suite. It was nice, but we never really took advantage of the upstairs. For the money, I think the swim up suites or the casita suites (1 story) are the best values because they have a bigger patio and lounge chairs on the sand out next to the pool and you can walk straight out to walkway to the beach.

If you are looking to be taken care of by friendly and warm staff who seem genuinely happy to be working there and work cooperatively with one another in luxury surroundings with mostly great food and drinks, this is definitely a resort to consider. We had a great time and the cons I listed pale in comparison to the benefits of this resort. I would be glad to answer any specific questions if you send me a message.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 176 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!