4,421 results
All reviewslupita loungela amadaplunge poolaroma restaurantlupita restaurantbeachfront casitastory casitaroom serviceaqua vivanatura barocean view terracesushiboutique resortswim up barbeach conciergeseasons toursswim up suite
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We traveled to The Beloved Hotel and spent 6 nights there. Although the facilities are nice and very clean, the experience was anything but satisfactory. Our first experience at arrival was to discover our rooms were not the ones we booked. No one could do anything about it, so they sent us off to have lunch and told us to come back in an hour. After much complaining and hours of wasted time, we were given the keys to our rooms and even then, they were not the rooms we requested. In fact, one of our rooms smelled so bad and reeked of mold and mildew, the had to move us to yet another room. And the beds - ick! Sleeping on one of their beds is what I imagine to be akin to sleeping on a brick wrapped in burlap.

We spent extra money to stay in a "swim-up suite," so we could enjoy a pool just off our patio. That was a mistake! The pool water was freezing cold and even on warm afternoons, too cold to use. In our 6 days there, I never saw a single person in the pool. The hot tub/spa was lukewarm when it was working, which was about half the time. And the casitas with the private plunge pools - don't waste your money there, either. The water in these pools is like an ice bath.

At first glance, the breakfast buffet looks fabulous. But, looks are deceiving. Many of the hot food containers remained empty. The fruit was not even close to ripe and the pastries tasted as if they had been made last week. The french press coffee is a nice touch, but every morning it was lukewarm. The other restaurants on the property were marginal and even a special dinner (for which we were charged very much extra) was mediocre. Even the drinks are watered down. The staff is very polite, but the service is ridiculously slow. At times, we would sit at our table for 10 minutes with empty drink glasses and dirty dishes before anyone would bother to show up. The worst of it all is that despite the expensive all-inclusive price, we were presented with bills so we could tip the servers! I've never seen that before.

The beach is horrid - with a two foot barrier of seaweed at the edge. The small area roped off for swimming was a joke and the waves/wind so strong the "no swimming" flag was out every day. Unless you enjoy a day out being sandblasted on the beach, skip it. And the pool was full of noisy little kids and their floating toys. And, word to the wise, if you do go and take a walk up the beach, don't be surprised to look over and see an armed guard with an M-16 rifle standing just off the beach. Needless to say, we turned around and went back to the resort.

Don't ask the concierge to help with anything. They will sell you anything to make a few more bucks. We inquired about deep sea fishing and without missing a beat, the concierge told us about a "wonderful" boat that was the favorite of the guests and you know the rest. We were sent out in a boat with engine problems on a day when there wasn't another fishing boat in sight. The waves were 8 - 10 ft. and when we finally got out to the fishing area, we were tossed about in 15 foot swells. Almost all of our group was so seasick (even after Dramamine) that we had to cut it short. The concierge should not have told us how fabulous the fishing was when he obviously knew better. And, the same goes for the other trips and things they will hawk.

My advice - go somewhere else! For the price, there are so many other beautiful places in the world where the service is good, the food is great and the beach enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
30  Thank Travelsalot59
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have been to the Beloved resort once before when it was not All Inclusive. The BIGGEST draw back were the dining options. There are only two resturants onsite and roomservice. Taxi service to town… is between 20-28 dollars one way. Basically, plan on at least $150-$250 per day for food. Other than that I would recommend the resort. The service was great and the fitness facility was better than Excellence Playa Mujeras but everything else, food, drinks, rooms, entertainement, etc were better at the Excellence. Food is a VERY BIG DEAL! 12 items to choose from on the room service menu and VERY slow (2 hour) service in the restaraunt (servicing the whole hotel) makes a very big difference! Also, the La Amada is Very family oriented. This is great if you are traveling with children. We have 3 children but wanted a vacation. Go to the Excellence if you are traveling without the kids. You will be very satisfied - even paying the extra. It is worth a couple hundred or even a thousand extra! The staff is incredible at both locations. Hope it helps!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alisha_bbplayer
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We have stayed at The Beloved (known as La Amada at the time) the past two years but will not return this year because it is now all-inclusive. My girlfriend and I have previoulsy visited all inclusive hotels and did not enjoy the experience. We prefer to choose to eat what we want when we want and, although we enjoy our cocktails, are not big enough drinkers to benefit from unlimitied alcohol. When we compared our costs over the past two visits, including our al a carte food and drink bill, we found we would spend a minimum of $500 additional for a visit of the same length, with no apparent benefit unless we wanted to stuff our faces or get hammered.

For us it was a big loss because we really, really loved everything about La Amada: the contemporary design of the hotel, the fantastic rooms, the quiet private atmosphere, the food, the staff, the beach, the gym, etc. We travel a couple of times every year and it is the only place we visited more than once. We basically had no complaints on either of our two trips, and, although we are not overly social when traveling, the clientele tended to be sophisticated and comfortable to be around.

I guess management wanted to make the hotel more like its adjacent sister hotel, Excellence, but we walked through that property and were not impressed. We are going to a hotel on Isla Mujeres this January and will report back upon our return.

If you like all inclusives, we would highly recommend this hotel for quiet ambiance.

Room Tip: We have looked at all of the rooms and prefer the junior suite ocean view, which is basically one very large single room with a fantastic bathroom and jacuzzi on the balcony. The swim up rooms have little or no privacy and the ocean front casitas, though far closer to the water and with better views, were townhouses, which we found unappealing. For us, a separate living room doesn't offer a significant or useful benefit over one large room
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TFBTRADE
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at La Amada aka Beloved hotel for 6 nights with my family ( wife and 2 kids ages 6/9). We actually returned today (dec.23rd 2011). As I consider tripadvisor reviews very highly in my selection of the resorts I felt I should write my thoughts about this place before I forget the details.
Here is our experience:
1. The hotel is located on a beautiful property well isolated from the hubbub of the hotel zone, great for the families who want quiet vacation. The place is landscaped and maintained very efficiently. Would highly recommend 2 story beachfront casitas as it has great view of the ocean as well as the pool.
2. The main pool by the ocean is very nice with a swim up bar. This pool is supposedly heated at times ( its was nice and warm for few days and kind of cooler the other days). We and other guests did complain about the water temperature but were given conflicting answers ranging from there is never any warming facilities for this pool to we will check on this ASAP ) not much was done to address this.
3. The beach is very small with lots of comfy chairs and cabanas. Unfortunately the beach had lot of Seagrass or seaweed making it impossible to go into the water. The hotel tried their best to clean up the beach to the best of their abilities. As per the locals, one can never be sure of these seaweeds but it's usually less in the hotel zone beaches due to the location ( I was told this by a local travel guide so I'm not sure if it's true or not?!) We got 1 day of clean beach in our trip.
4. There are 3 restaurants and a beach fast food place. The service is not super fast so one has to be patient. Only 1 restaurant offers lunch and 2 offer dinner every day. I was not thrilled when we visited one of this restaurants for dinner without reservation. The restaurant had plenty of empty tables but they turned us down as they were expecting one more party! I thought it was mostly due to lack of staff than tables. Food was good but repetitious. They pretty much have the same menu every night? Not very common at other places we visited in the past. Condiments like salt/pepper/ ketchup had to be repeatedly requested in every single restaurant almost every single time?! I don't understand the logic behind not having them at each table?
5. Housekeeping , room services were exceptional and are worth accolades. There was turn down service everyday. Room service for food and beverages was excellent and quick.
6. I would highly recommend Olympus travel for your local airport transportation as well as the sightseeing tours. We did xcaret and chichen itza trips with them, and would recommend them without reservation. I would also highly recommend la Amada spa as it was very different and well worth at least 1 visit.
In conclusion, overall I would rate this hotel average. In spite of having such a fabulous resort, in my opinion their service can be far better in many aspects. A little more entertainment and liveliness would help too. It would be great if they ask the visitors for a feedback too, as we didn't find any surveys to fill at the end?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
17  Thank NewJerseyDoc
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Most of the the other reviews here have hit the nail on the head and give a good account of the hotel. This place is isolated ( approx 25 minute taxi ride to cancun will cost you approx 25 bucks each way) but we knew this and wanted the isolation. We also wanted a smaller, boutique like hotel so we wouldn't have to wait for drinks or food, we didn't for either. In fact, our time spent there was Dec 1 st thru the 9 th and the hotel was only at 40% capacity. Perfect! We stayed in a beachfront casita which was perfect because you can walk right out to the beach or Isla grill. Privacy was never an issue because we never had neighbors except for the last two nights and even then people stay to themselves and are relaxing on day beds, not peeping around the casitas. The toilet in the bathroom does have a glass door on it but this would only be awkward if I was with someone other than my wife and we were not comfortable around each other.

The Spa is the big hit here people. Each on of our friends we made raved about the spa. Best massages were the normal response when we talked about it. They do a water circuit that takes an hour before Every treatment, people either love it or hate but it' gets your circulation really moving so you can relax more.

The food was good to great. In fact the food was another reason why we picked this hotel, my wife and I love exploring new flavors and dishes and we are picky about our food. The chefs do a great job at execution but some dishes were too heavy or not enough, but each meal we had we left happy and full. I will recommend one thing, the fish tacos from Isla Grill, so good!

The service was good, the one example I can tell all of you is about the main pool by the beach. It was freezing cold for the first three days. We asked that the hot tub be turned up but gave me some lame excuse about a Mexican regulation that it can't be any higher because of health reasons. Well, after out guests starting complaining they gave in and cranked up other water heaters. On the fourth day the pool was a awesome 80 degrees and the hot tub was around 95-100.

Bottom line, we would love to go back, the spa, our room and the food was all worth it. We booked through Lomas travel thru our travel agent and everything was great.

Room Tip: Ask for mattress topper for bed. Nightly turn down service is around 9 pm each night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple