“Amazing Staff”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We spent 2 weeks at La Amada mid September 2011 and have returned home well rested and tanned. The hotel is clean, comfortable and well cared for. We stayed in a swim up room with terrace and garden - lovely. The bed was extremely hard as were the sunbeds & I feel a bit princessy even saying that, but its the truth. The beach is small but lovely and the sea is accessible on soft sand. Only 2 restaurants to choose from each evening both offer good food, and we were offered the services of their executive chef to cook anything we wanted if we were bored with the menu. Our favourite restaurant was La Isla grill, the food is great, wonderful views and good atmosphere; and staff are exceptional. Try the lobster surf and turf - its awesome. The cocktail and sushi bar was a pre dinner favourite of ours and had some good musicians . The all inclusive option was excellent but the sign for everything policy was a drag, maybe this will stop when the whole resort goes fully inclusive next year. There is very little to do in the hotel which suited us as we just needed to relax. We discovered that the hotel next door'The Excellence' is a sister hotel but we were not allowed to join in with their events at all which seems unusual. I had one concern (which I did voice to the manager) - there seems to be some confusion as to the Amada's target market. It is advertised as a couples/special occasion/anniversary/wedding hotel- and family resort. This was not always a good combination as we did have to leave the restaurant twice due to our 'couple' time being interupted by screaming, badly behaved children whose parents had opted out of parenting as they were on vacation. (No; we are not anti kids, we have plenty of our own,- some of the parents and kids in the hotel were wonderful..........,but as always its the few that spoil it for the many) An easy solution would be to have an 'adult' only bar and 'adult only dining' after 9pm. Not much of a big deal to implement. On arrival checkin took forever but the champagne made it bearable- we found that in room information was lacking - we spent the first day trying to work out where to find beach towels, was there beach service, etc, but we asked the other guests and they put us right. Having read tripadvisor reviews before we left we felt we chose well, and we were not disappointed, we met some lovely people and were 100% committed to enjoying every moment. As an extra note, there is not a business center so if you need to work bring your own laptop as the hotel only provided HP minis. Oh and another point the hotel is not anti gay....have no idea where that one came from but there were loads of gays at the resort having a great time . (if you are the american gay guy that pranced around the swim up bar in see through white speedos...note to self, pls do us all a service and buy new trunck's to cover your junk next year:) Don't forget your bug spray - you will be eaten alive if you step outdoors after sunset, bring lots of books, music and games. As a final note we noticed some of the guests behaving so disrespectfully towards the staff - management really should ask guests to leave if they arent treating the staff well. So Please- tip the waiters, they work incredibly hard and offer an amazing service, a smile and showing a bit of respect goes along way too. Without doubt the staff made our stay incredible - thank you all - you know who you are, Raul, Christian Martin, Yolande..Alfredo Freddy.too many to mention, you are very special people.Grasias.

Room Tip: The whole resort is quiet - Casitas are lovely. Swim up suites are bigger and good value.
7  Thank happbcytraveller

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We spent two weeks here from 20th august and had a wonderful time, my wife and daughter, 9 went to the spa and had the most relaxing mother and daughter treatments together. The staff were exeptional and friendly going out of their way to make sure you have a good time.
There are some very picky people who have moaned but they would moan any where in the world, we have travelled far and wide and this is certainly one of the best, one other note is our daughter went to kids club and enjoyed it so much she went at every oppertunity.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Privilege Aluxes - Isla Mujeres
Royal - Playa Del Carmen
Royal - Cancun
La Amada - Playa Mujeres
Sun Palace - Cancun (twice)
Sandals - Montego Bay, Jamaica

OF THOSE 7 WE LOVED 4:
Privilege Aluxes
Sun Palace
Royal in Cancun
La Amada

After going to 8 all inclusive resorts, I finally feel that I can write a review comparing our latest vacation at La Amada to all the others. A note about us: We are married with no kids and when choosing a resort that’s not adults only, we go during the school year. I am 37 and my husband is 41.

PROS:
-Most A.I.R. badger you about going to their 90 min. presentation, which is basically a time share. La Amada DOES NOT! Huge plus! I can’t tell you how horrible it is to dread walking through the lobby, because you know you’ll be badgered yet again.
---Most A.I.R. have locals walking up and down the beach all day selling jewelry, hats, etc. It’s annoying having to say, “No thank you” every 5 minutes when you’re trying to sleep or read or listen to music. La Amada has NONE of that!
---Most A.I.R. serve the weakest drinks you’ve ever had in your life. La Amada pours drinks you would gladly pay $5-$10 for in the U.S.
---Most A.I.R. either make you PAY EXTRA for premium liquors or they have a very LIMITED SELECTION or they ONLY OFFER premium liquors to the guests who booked the most expensive rooms. La Amada has many premium liquors including tequilas like Don Julio and Herradura at no extra charge and they are available to everyone. Not only did they have these brands, but they had 3 types of each: Blanco, Repasado, Anejo.
---Many A.I.R. make you pay extra for lobster as well. La Amada does not.
---Some A.I.R. we’ve been to in the past (Privilege Aluxes for example) have turned us away for dinner reservations when the restaurant was less than half full! La Amada never did anything like that. Even at the restaurant that served lobster, we could have easily made reservations there every night if we had wanted to.
---There are only about 100 rooms at La Amada which we liked. You saw the same people over and over and it made it easier to get to know other guests. It also makes going from A to B much easier. The only large resort we ever stayed at was Royal in Playa Del Carmen, which has over 500 rooms. We hated it and moved to their smaller sister resort, Royal Cancun, in less than 24 hours. While staying at Sun Palace we’ve visited large sister resorts like Moon Palace and we hated it for the same reason. For us, bigger is not always better.
---The rooms and grounds at La Amada were gorgeous and immaculate and the staff was wonderful.

CONS:
---Some A.I.R. require you to sign for everything you consume and some don’t. La Amada was the WORST in this regard. In addition to obtaining your signature they have to swipe your room key, which adds a second step to the process. Sometimes it went fairly quickly and sometimes it was painfully slow. On top of that, our room key often didn’t work at the restaurants, so the waiters would have to find a manager to swipe a master key, which made the process even longer. One time we waited approximately 20 min. after we had finished our meal to finalize the ticket. Even one of the waiters told us THEY hate the whole signing process, because it sucks up so much of THEIR time.
---Most A.I.R. make getting change for tipping somewhat difficult. La Amada was probably one of the WORST. They almost never had change in U.S. bills and rarely had pesos valued at less than five U.S. dollars. If you ordered one or two drinks at a pool bar, you’re not likely to tip five U.S. dollars. (I personally went to the front desk 5 times and never obtained smaller bills than that, although I did see one guest who managed to get some pesos valued at two U.S. dollars.) If you’ve burned through all the change you brought and the hotel doesn’t have any small bills, you’re forced to write your tip on the ticket. The tickets don’t have carbon copies. The tickets actually say on them, “You have to ask for a copy” and when we did, they always seemed shocked. Ultimately at the end of your stay, you have to pay up, so if you don’t get copies of the 40+ tickets you’ve filled out over the week, what proof do you have of what you owe? It would be nice for the hotel to keep pesos valued at less than five U.S. dollars on hand and also for the tickets to be printed with carbon copies or duplicates. Better yet, get rid of the tickets all together.
---Some A.I.R. have a liquor dispenser in your room. La Amada DOES NOT. They will deliver beer, champagne and wine w/room service, but NO mixed drinks and you MUST order food w/EACH delivery of alcohol. (Hope you’re as hungry as you are thirsty.) We had a room with our own plunge pool. It was far away from any restaurant that was open midday and when you’re spending the day sunning upstairs on your balcony, it would be nice to have mixed drinks delivered or at least be able to make your own if that's what your prefer.
---Most A.I.R. will grant you privileges at their sister resorts, but La Amada WILL NOT. The Excellence is right next door and owned by the same people. Guests at the Excellence can come to La Amada, but La Amada guests CANNOT visit Excellence without paying extra. (We were told by other guests it’s $150/day to spend the day at Excellence.) I understand Excellence guests are ALL all-inclusive and La Amada does have SOME guests on the European plan. Why couldn’t they just put a wristband on us when we go next door that indicates we are La Amada all-inclusive guests? Also, Excellence is adults only, so I understand children from La Amada obviously can’t go over there, but why can’t the adults?
---Our room smelled bad and several other guests told us theirs did as well. It seemed to be coming through the air conditioning system. The room looked really clean and I saw no mold anywhere. We brought Febreeze, but it wasn’t strong enough to cover the smell. Eventually, we asked them for help and they were happy to spray our room each day with our choice of scents. Coffee scent turned out to be my favorite and it successfully masked the odor when sprayed twice a day.
---The air conditioning in our room wouldn’t go quite low enough to keep us comfortable while we slept or while we were getting ready for dinner. This too was a complaint I heard from others. (This was also a problem at Royal in Cancun as well.) Of course everyone has different temperature preferences. For us, it wasn’t miserable, but it was a little frustrating to wake up in the night sweating or be sweating when you’re freshly showered and trying to apply make-up and blow dry your hair. We asked for a fan which the concierge rounded up after a few hours of searching. The fan was great, but I don’t think they have many.

IN SUMMARY:
Of the 4 resorts we have loved, La Amada was for me #1 or #2. My husband says all 4 have pros and cons and he’s not sure he can pick a favorite. Would we go there again? Maybe. For me, part of the fun is the excitement of exploring a brand new place. If they remedied the cons would we go there again? Absolutely! Why would you NOT go to a place that’s perfect?

6  Thank Jules199
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I chose this resort for our 2nd wedding anniversary after reading the great reviews on trip advisor. We were torn between the Excellence next door and La Amada. In the end, we chose La Amada because they had the non all-inclusive option, as we felt this was smarter given I am pregnant.

We booked an "Ocean View Junior Suite" - there was no ocean view about it. Either splurge for the casitas (they were unavailable or else we would have), or just get the basic room. We were very disappointed in the view.

More on the room: We were 2 stories above the lupita lounge. The doors have no "weather strip" so the warm air seeps in along with all of the noise. Ceilings are paper thin - there was a woman above us who liked to wear heels all hours of the night. Beds are rock hard, I woke up on the final morning of our trip not able to turn my head without shooting pain.

Food was hit or miss. We had to pay for all of our meals so we were careful in our choices. Dinner at Aroma was ehhhh. The flavored crab appetizer was good, but the grilled shrimp tasted like lighter fluid and the sirloin was a filet of pure fat/no meat and over-seasoned veggies. Lunch was definitely our favorite. The fish tacos as Isla Grill are AMAZING.... and the shrimp/chicken tacos are also very good. We ordered chips & guac off the menu and they were more than accomodating. Lunch was so good at Isla Grill that we went back for dinner there every night - the surf & turf was a little overpriced but very good, and the lobster thermador was delicious.

La Amada advertised that the minibar was free during our stay. Well, when we checked in and were brought up to our room, it was picked over. A call was made and they restocked, but that was the last time. We had to call the next day to have it restocked. Then again, the next day - nothing. It was important for me, being pregnant, to have snacks and water handy all the time to avoid nausea... but apparently it was too much to ask of La Amada. This particular day when my husband called to have it restocked, he said they seemed annoyed on the phone and asked "what do you need restocked" - my husband then replied "chips, couple of coronas, pretty much everything..." They brought up 2 coronas and a bag of chips!! To clarify, a full minibar was 2 chips, m&ms, snickers, 4 water bottles, sprite, couple of bud lights, budweiser, corona, sprite, coke & diet coke. We went through half of that pretty much every day to take advantage of it, but don't advertise free daily minibar if you don't restock it as you say you will!!!!!!!!!!!

Housekeeping - 2 of the days, housekeeping never came. We even left the little card in the door that said "please make room". We were out on an excursion from 8am - 3pm and the card was still there. Maybe if they cleaned our room they would realize the minibar was empty.

Concierge - they were very friendly, however I guess we were on "Mexico time". I realized after showering on day 1 that I forgot my hair comb/brush. I called concierge and asked to have a comb delivered. Nothing. I walked down to the front desk and requested it again. 2 hours later - nothing. I finally called Housekeeping and they delivered a comb about 30 minutes later. By this time, my hair was a hot mess.

We booked a snorkel trip to Puerto Morelos with the concierge. Beware! We paid $76/person for the same trip someone else paid $45/person for. The only difference was that lunch was included in ours. Had we known this was optional, we definitely would have opted out of the $62 below par fajitas. The snorkeling was about average with the other trips we have taken in other parts of the world - nothing amazing but it was fun.

Spa - Something I can rave about! I had a prenatal massage and everything was just perfect! The area is so beautiful and serene.... you must treat yourself while you're here!

Hopefully the staff reads this comment and avoid 2 stars from someone else!

Room Tip: Do not get Ocean View Junior - there is hardly an ocean view. Pay for the lowest room or splurge.
4  Thank texasmeg1
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We just returned from 11 days at La Amada ~ We were in an Ocean Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool...our view was as follows ~ inside looking out of the room ~ marina and hotel zone, downtown Cancun, beach, Isla Mujeres and more beach to the north, that was from inside the room, outside unparalleled views to infinity on the sea. We spent many hours reading the reviews, negative and positive. Reviews are opinions, with that being said...Take each review and take what you need from it.

The Staff: Jean-Francois - General Manager - Greeted us upon arrival, very friendly, we saw him around the resort, he always had time to stop and say hello.

Carina - Guest Services Manager - So warm and friendly, any request we made, Done! She upgraded us to the suite we were in,

Marcella - Chief Concierge - same as above - any request done!

Guillermo, Juan-Jose, Alfredo, Pablo, Albert, Marcos, Yolanda, AMAZING!!!! what ever you were drinking, was delivered, pool side or on the beach - fast! Service in the restaurants was spot on, excellent.

The food in my opinion was excellent -We pretty much had most of everything on the menus, or tasted everything on the menu ( explanation to come) it was all fantastic. Again food is subject to your preference, portion size was perfect, quality excellent. If we wanted something that wasn't on the menu, we asked and yes it was made and it was excellent!!!

Saw many reviews of how quiet the resort is and no social activities, only live music at Lupita's Lounge, this is very true. It is quiet and very relaxing in many-many ways. Here is the caveat to that statement. If you choose to have a quiet low key holiday that is what you can choose. We had dinner every night with at least 8-10 other couples in all of the restaurants. (this is how we ended up tasting 99% of the food) We met the couples at the pool or on the beach, struck up conversations, and quickly began forming friendships with people all around the world, even a couple that live 2 minutes from us, from different cultures, different lifestyles, and we had a wonderful time. Most nights we closed down the lounge area. La Amada can be very social and entertaining if you choose. Everyone that we met, have become friends.

The Spa is fabulous! A must for anyone staying at La Amada, spent over 4 hours in the spa one day, and it was pure bliss! Aqua spa is AMAZING!!!

I agree with everyone about how amazing the suites are, We were in ours, a casita, a jr. suite, and the penthouse, they are all fabulous! Showers are truly excellent!
There is no bad suite on the property, it is all what YOU want.

The beach is pristine, no seaweed, super fine soft sand, the sea was like bath water and crystal clear. You can literally walk northward for miles, and south to the marina and beyond.

We did not experience or see any thing negative at La Amada, so again read the reviews and understand they are opinions. We have both traveled world wide as Airline Crew members, stayed at the best and the worst places everywhere...there is nothing negative to say about La Amada. We can only say positive things about our experience here, so much so that we returned mid-september, and are booking a return visit for December 2011, yes it is that good!

Add this review to all the other positive reviews..La Amada is AMAZING

Room Tip: corner suites are amazing, views south to cancun, and views north!
4  Thank Geo E
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I have just come back from a week at La Amada and I have to say that the hotel was amazing. We were visiting with friends of ours and their 18 month old son and what we liked about it was that it was an adult resort where kids could still attend, have fun but without making the entire experience too "kid driven" if that makes sense. Basically the kids didn't stop the adults doing what they wanted to.

Before going I had read a lot of the reviews on here, some of hte points I agree with, some I dont. For example I saw no issue at all with seaweed on the beach, it was always clear and immaculate. There was some seaweed underwater when you got out a bit deeper, but thats to be expected. I can only imagine those who make the points on the seaweed either came just after a storm or are expecting some purpose built beach. Where I do agree with some of the comments is on the toilet (very open, wouldn't want to share a room with anyone other than your partner, its just weird) and the slow service on the beach. After watching the waiters on the beach we worked out this was because they would take everyones orders, then come back with everyones orders instead of serving 1 or 2 groups at a time. Maybe something for management to work on, but it didn't really affect the holiday at all.

Something else I will mention is that the food can be a bit hit and miss. For example one night I had the cheeseburger from room service and it was awesome, so a few days later I ordered it again and it was very average, and I was told they had run out of bacon? Likewise my wife had similar issues with some of the pasta dishes, and one lunch time I ordered the chicken baguette and when it arrived it was very sorry indeed, but again, happy to live with this as the place is so great.

We stayed in a 2 story beachfront casita which was amazing, great views, private pool absolutely fantastic. If you have the option stay in Canstantida 3 which is where we were, without a doubt the best view on the resort. Be careful if you are on a ground floor casita though as some of the private pools are right next to walkways, and if you want privacy you may struggle.

Finally, just another comment - if you are wanting to go on a tour to Chichen Itza (mayan ruins, apologies if spelt incorrectly) be careful with the tour that the concierge sells you. We went on it and were told that it was a 0730 pickup, but that was just the running around picking people up from all different hotels. We didn't get on the main bus until 9am! They also tell you meals are provided so you don't need to eat breakfast. Ignore this, the breakfast is some cheap and nasty pastries and some OJ in Styrofoam cups - very average, and the lunch is a buffet at the ruins which is truly awful. Plus you get sales pitches for everything under (and worshipping) the sun, sorry but it's just not the relaxing and luxury trip they sell it as, and quite frankly not up to the high standards of La Amada.

So overall and excellent holiday, wonderful place, amazing beach, and normally great service. The only reason I dont give it 5 stars is because of the hit and miss nature of the food and the service on the beach. Don't let that fool you though, it didn't ruin our holiday at all, and if I get the chance I will definately be going back!

Room Tip: Constandida casitas are at the front and offer the best views and access to the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank WallabyGold
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Amada was the first exclusive all-inclusive hotel where I stayed so I had high expectations. The food was great although they could have used a non-stop barman in the main pool as you had to wait long for drinks.

The destination was not as romantic as I had hoped as we kept running into the same couples with their kids no matter what time we dined be it 7pm or 9pm. The period when we went it was more family oriented than a singles' or couples' scene.

We went in January when it wasn't so warm plus it was rainy and we had to spend some time indoors. The ground plunge pools were not warmed so it wasn't a plus to be on the ground floors. I would suggest to get a room on the higher floors for more natural light and sunshine.

The best thing that I will remember about Amada is the scent they release in the main areas and restrooms. Heavenly scent that becomes addicting. I would return to visit Amada just for that!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 177 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!