“We had a great time, but La Amada left a bit to be desired”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Austin, Texas
“We had a great time, but La Amada left a bit to be desired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I chose this resort for our 2nd wedding anniversary after reading the great reviews on trip advisor. We were torn between the Excellence next door and La Amada. In the end, we chose La Amada because they had the non all-inclusive option, as we felt this was smarter given I am pregnant.

We booked an "Ocean View Junior Suite" - there was no ocean view about it. Either splurge for the casitas (they were unavailable or else we would have), or just get the basic room. We were very disappointed in the view.

More on the room: We were 2 stories above the lupita lounge. The doors have no "weather strip" so the warm air seeps in along with all of the noise. Ceilings are paper thin - there was a woman above us who liked to wear heels all hours of the night. Beds are rock hard, I woke up on the final morning of our trip not able to turn my head without shooting pain.

Food was hit or miss. We had to pay for all of our meals so we were careful in our choices. Dinner at Aroma was ehhhh. The flavored crab appetizer was good, but the grilled shrimp tasted like lighter fluid and the sirloin was a filet of pure fat/no meat and over-seasoned veggies. Lunch was definitely our favorite. The fish tacos as Isla Grill are AMAZING.... and the shrimp/chicken tacos are also very good. We ordered chips & guac off the menu and they were more than accomodating. Lunch was so good at Isla Grill that we went back for dinner there every night - the surf & turf was a little overpriced but very good, and the lobster thermador was delicious.

La Amada advertised that the minibar was free during our stay. Well, when we checked in and were brought up to our room, it was picked over. A call was made and they restocked, but that was the last time. We had to call the next day to have it restocked. Then again, the next day - nothing. It was important for me, being pregnant, to have snacks and water handy all the time to avoid nausea... but apparently it was too much to ask of La Amada. This particular day when my husband called to have it restocked, he said they seemed annoyed on the phone and asked "what do you need restocked" - my husband then replied "chips, couple of coronas, pretty much everything..." They brought up 2 coronas and a bag of chips!! To clarify, a full minibar was 2 chips, m&ms, snickers, 4 water bottles, sprite, couple of bud lights, budweiser, corona, sprite, coke & diet coke. We went through half of that pretty much every day to take advantage of it, but don't advertise free daily minibar if you don't restock it as you say you will!!!!!!!!!!!

Housekeeping - 2 of the days, housekeeping never came. We even left the little card in the door that said "please make room". We were out on an excursion from 8am - 3pm and the card was still there. Maybe if they cleaned our room they would realize the minibar was empty.

Concierge - they were very friendly, however I guess we were on "Mexico time". I realized after showering on day 1 that I forgot my hair comb/brush. I called concierge and asked to have a comb delivered. Nothing. I walked down to the front desk and requested it again. 2 hours later - nothing. I finally called Housekeeping and they delivered a comb about 30 minutes later. By this time, my hair was a hot mess.

We booked a snorkel trip to Puerto Morelos with the concierge. Beware! We paid $76/person for the same trip someone else paid $45/person for. The only difference was that lunch was included in ours. Had we known this was optional, we definitely would have opted out of the $62 below par fajitas. The snorkeling was about average with the other trips we have taken in other parts of the world - nothing amazing but it was fun.

Spa - Something I can rave about! I had a prenatal massage and everything was just perfect! The area is so beautiful and serene.... you must treat yourself while you're here!

Hopefully the staff reads this comment and avoid 2 stars from someone else!

Room Tip: Do not get Ocean View Junior - there is hardly an ocean view. Pay for the lowest room or splurge.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank texasmeg1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,094)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

We just returned from 11 days at La Amada ~ We were in an Ocean Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool...our view was as follows ~ inside looking out of the room ~ marina and hotel zone, downtown Cancun, beach, Isla Mujeres and more beach to the north, that was from inside the room, outside unparalleled views to infinity on the sea. We spent many hours reading the reviews, negative and positive. Reviews are opinions, with that being said...Take each review and take what you need from it.

The Staff: Jean-Francois - General Manager - Greeted us upon arrival, very friendly, we saw him around the resort, he always had time to stop and say hello.

Carina - Guest Services Manager - So warm and friendly, any request we made, Done! She upgraded us to the suite we were in,

Marcella - Chief Concierge - same as above - any request done!

Guillermo, Juan-Jose, Alfredo, Pablo, Albert, Marcos, Yolanda, AMAZING!!!! what ever you were drinking, was delivered, pool side or on the beach - fast! Service in the restaurants was spot on, excellent.

The food in my opinion was excellent -We pretty much had most of everything on the menus, or tasted everything on the menu ( explanation to come) it was all fantastic. Again food is subject to your preference, portion size was perfect, quality excellent. If we wanted something that wasn't on the menu, we asked and yes it was made and it was excellent!!!

Saw many reviews of how quiet the resort is and no social activities, only live music at Lupita's Lounge, this is very true. It is quiet and very relaxing in many-many ways. Here is the caveat to that statement. If you choose to have a quiet low key holiday that is what you can choose. We had dinner every night with at least 8-10 other couples in all of the restaurants. (this is how we ended up tasting 99% of the food) We met the couples at the pool or on the beach, struck up conversations, and quickly began forming friendships with people all around the world, even a couple that live 2 minutes from us, from different cultures, different lifestyles, and we had a wonderful time. Most nights we closed down the lounge area. La Amada can be very social and entertaining if you choose. Everyone that we met, have become friends.

The Spa is fabulous! A must for anyone staying at La Amada, spent over 4 hours in the spa one day, and it was pure bliss! Aqua spa is AMAZING!!!

I agree with everyone about how amazing the suites are, We were in ours, a casita, a jr. suite, and the penthouse, they are all fabulous! Showers are truly excellent!
There is no bad suite on the property, it is all what YOU want.

The beach is pristine, no seaweed, super fine soft sand, the sea was like bath water and crystal clear. You can literally walk northward for miles, and south to the marina and beyond.

We did not experience or see any thing negative at La Amada, so again read the reviews and understand they are opinions. We have both traveled world wide as Airline Crew members, stayed at the best and the worst places everywhere...there is nothing negative to say about La Amada. We can only say positive things about our experience here, so much so that we returned mid-september, and are booking a return visit for December 2011, yes it is that good!

Add this review to all the other positive reviews..La Amada is AMAZING

Room Tip: corner suites are amazing, views south to cancun, and views north!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Geo E
Aussie in London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I have just come back from a week at La Amada and I have to say that the hotel was amazing. We were visiting with friends of ours and their 18 month old son and what we liked about it was that it was an adult resort where kids could still attend, have fun but without making the entire experience too "kid driven" if that makes sense. Basically the kids didn't stop the adults doing what they wanted to.

Before going I had read a lot of the reviews on here, some of hte points I agree with, some I dont. For example I saw no issue at all with seaweed on the beach, it was always clear and immaculate. There was some seaweed underwater when you got out a bit deeper, but thats to be expected. I can only imagine those who make the points on the seaweed either came just after a storm or are expecting some purpose built beach. Where I do agree with some of the comments is on the toilet (very open, wouldn't want to share a room with anyone other than your partner, its just weird) and the slow service on the beach. After watching the waiters on the beach we worked out this was because they would take everyones orders, then come back with everyones orders instead of serving 1 or 2 groups at a time. Maybe something for management to work on, but it didn't really affect the holiday at all.

Something else I will mention is that the food can be a bit hit and miss. For example one night I had the cheeseburger from room service and it was awesome, so a few days later I ordered it again and it was very average, and I was told they had run out of bacon? Likewise my wife had similar issues with some of the pasta dishes, and one lunch time I ordered the chicken baguette and when it arrived it was very sorry indeed, but again, happy to live with this as the place is so great.

We stayed in a 2 story beachfront casita which was amazing, great views, private pool absolutely fantastic. If you have the option stay in Canstantida 3 which is where we were, without a doubt the best view on the resort. Be careful if you are on a ground floor casita though as some of the private pools are right next to walkways, and if you want privacy you may struggle.

Finally, just another comment - if you are wanting to go on a tour to Chichen Itza (mayan ruins, apologies if spelt incorrectly) be careful with the tour that the concierge sells you. We went on it and were told that it was a 0730 pickup, but that was just the running around picking people up from all different hotels. We didn't get on the main bus until 9am! They also tell you meals are provided so you don't need to eat breakfast. Ignore this, the breakfast is some cheap and nasty pastries and some OJ in Styrofoam cups - very average, and the lunch is a buffet at the ruins which is truly awful. Plus you get sales pitches for everything under (and worshipping) the sun, sorry but it's just not the relaxing and luxury trip they sell it as, and quite frankly not up to the high standards of La Amada.

So overall and excellent holiday, wonderful place, amazing beach, and normally great service. The only reason I dont give it 5 stars is because of the hit and miss nature of the food and the service on the beach. Don't let that fool you though, it didn't ruin our holiday at all, and if I get the chance I will definately be going back!

Room Tip: Constandida casitas are at the front and offer the best views and access to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank WallabyGold
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Amada was the first exclusive all-inclusive hotel where I stayed so I had high expectations. The food was great although they could have used a non-stop barman in the main pool as you had to wait long for drinks.

The destination was not as romantic as I had hoped as we kept running into the same couples with their kids no matter what time we dined be it 7pm or 9pm. The period when we went it was more family oriented than a singles' or couples' scene.

We went in January when it wasn't so warm plus it was rainy and we had to spend some time indoors. The ground plunge pools were not warmed so it wasn't a plus to be on the ground floors. I would suggest to get a room on the higher floors for more natural light and sunshine.

The best thing that I will remember about Amada is the scent they release in the main areas and restrooms. Heavenly scent that becomes addicting. I would return to visit Amada just for that!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Amazing quality for a very affordable price. The all inclusive is definitely worth it. Make sure you visit the nearby golf as well. Bring mosquito spray through.

• Stayed September 2011
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I got married on the beach at La Amada Hotel on July 16th. We had a wonderful time and everyone at hotel was very nice. If you can afford it I would recommend staying in one of their casitas. We stayed at the Consentida 3. If you are in your honeymoon or you like privacy this is the best casita because it offers the most privacy. Please be aware that any of the other casitas don’t offer any privacy unless you close every window and don’t turn the lights on. The pro's the place is very clean, the food is fantastic, the spa personnel are just over the top (we highly recommend the Agua Viva treatment), and in general everyone at the hotel were very pleasant. One thing we learned on this trip is that all hotel personnel only gets pay between $3-4 per day. We were so disturbed when we learned this and they basically depend on the tips they are given. That is why they simply do anything you asked…because they really need the money. If you have American dollars you will have a lot of good friends that will practically do anything for you. So, be prepared to tip because it is expected and they deserve it. They work so hard…especially, the people that work at the beach, and the cleaning crew. They are very humble people and most of them don’t even know English…but they do their job with excellence. Con’s – the beds are very hard, the pillows are tiny (like for dolls), and when we checked out they charged our credit card twice and they don’t want to credit our account. We have been back and forth with them and finally contacted our credit card company and opened a claim. We are still trying to resolve this. Also, the mosquitos after dawn are everywhere. So, bring a lot of mosquito repelant. If you like to party this is not the place for you, also, it says that you can bring your children but there is nothing for them to do. This place is honestly just for couples… If you like to go for bike rides…make sure to see Luis…He is adorable, and super nice!!!

After three years of dating my husband and I decided to get married (this is both of our second marriage) so we didn’t want anything big or traditional. We opted for a destination wedding on the beach as we both had always wanted. It was one of the most BEAUTIFUL days of our lives. We had no stress, the hotel offered me a bridal suite where I was able to get ready (and they didn’t charge us any additional money), Yedid did my hair and makeup (she was amazing and left me looking like a doll), the wedding coordinator took very care of us on the day of the wedding, the minister was 30 minutes late due to rain in the area (the photographer knows her and told me that she is always late – so be prepare to have delays if you use one of their ministers). After the intimate wedding at the beach we had a candle light dinner on the beach. OMG, it was decorated beautiful and the food was wonderful. If you want a stress free and budget friendly wedding this is the route to go.

I was able to hire an outside photographer (Caribe Photo www.caribephoto.com ) and the owner Goran Vukajlovic was my personal photographer. He is amazing. We also had a videographer one of Goran’s employees. The wedding video looks like a movie. When we both watched it for the first time we cried because we could not believe the magnificent of their work. The photos are spectacular as well. I highly recommend them. We also order the flowers from an outside florist – this was very risky and scary move on our part. Though, they were there on-time and the flowers were beautiful, very fresh, and very affordable (basically ¼ of the cost of the hotel prices). The name of the florist is DECORACION_FLORAL@HOTMAIL.COM.

All in all….we had a wonderful time. There were few hiccups including the double charge. But our time there was totally worth it and we would go back every month if we could afford it. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Room Tip: Consentida 3 (offered the most privacy and the best view)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lizbeth L
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Just returned from a long weekend at La Amada Hotel in Playa de Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico. Hope this helps answer any questions.

Arrival. Flew non-stop from Orlando on Jet Blue and were met at the airport by our CancunWay driver (1/2 hour ride), so getting there was very smooth. Upon arrival, we were greeted and introduced to the reception agent. We were given champagne and cold towels while checking in, and then Edgar gave us an overview of the property while escorting us to our room, which looked just like the pictures (pool view junior suite with 2 beds). Within an 1 1/2 hours of landing in Cancun we were at the pool's swim-up bar!

Room. The room is clean and neat. They really do have twice daily maid service. The shower stall is huge and has a bench and 2 different kinds of showers. The doors to the shower and the WC are both frosted glass that are open at the ceiling level - great if you want to talk to the other person in the room, but not affording too much privacy; in other words, there is no solid door or partition closing the bathroom off from the rest of the room. There is a flat screen TV, couch, chair, table, writing desk and chair, and a nice size balcony with a sunbed and a chair and table. Our balcony was shaded so we didn't use it to lay out. Beds were firm but comfortable, and after a day in the sun we slept soundly.

A/C. Air conditioning in Mexico was not very strong compared to what we are used to in Florida - the A/C does not dehumify as we are used to, so our swimsuits never fully dried out. The lowest setting in the room was 70, so we paired that with max fan setting, and the ceiling fan, which made it comfortable. Even the A/C in the restaurants and gym wasn't particularly cool.

Food. We ate at all 3 restaurants - Aroma, Lupita, and Isla Grill, in addition to having sushi at Lupita Lounge. The food is better than expected. The servers and kitchen were able to understand and accomodate gluten free requirements. I recommend the Conchinita Pibil in particular (Lupita). Sushi was tasty. The appetizer salads were delicious. Lots of fresh vegetables and fruit - not your usual vacation food. The breakfast buffet in Aroma is a highlight of the stay - everything from hot eggs, bacon, french toast, and Mexican treats, to a pastry bar, a fresh fruit and smoothie bar, and savory cheeses and meats, together with fresh juices such as orange, carrot, watermelon and beet. They also have whole, skim and soy milk. You get your own French press carafe at breakfast. Yolanda at Isla Grill is a sweetheart and will help you practice your Spanish.

Drinks. The house wine selection is acceptable, and the liquor is top shelf. Frozen drinks are a must on the beach - ask for the Miami Vice (half pina colada, half strawberry daquiri). The Tamarind mojito is unique and delicious. The margaritas, mojitos, etc. are all good.

Beach. The beach is nice, fine sand, with clear water. There is a lifeguard on duty most of the day. Get to the beach or bar pool early (9-ish?) to snag the chairs you want, as the prime spots go quickly. Then you can camp out for the rest of the day and come and go as you please. There is full bar and food service on the beach or at the pool. We recommend Alberto at the beach, and Pablo at the pool. The beach concierge Luis is charming as well. The pools are pretty warm by the end of the day since they are fairly shallow - maybe 5ft. deep?

Gym. There is a very nice gym upstairs in the Spa facility with lots of cardio equipment as well as free weights and machines. Check out the Cardio Wave (or as I call it, the salsa machine). The gym is pretty warm but there are towels, water, ice tea or chlorofill drink?! and fans that can be positioned to blow on you.

Atmosphere. La Amada is next door to Excellence, a couples only resort, which is a much larger property. By comparison, La Amada appeared to have a range of ages from 20's to 50's, and plenty of young families with children (but not too many). The property is modern with a light and airy feel. The boutique feel was lovely as the only crowded place was the swim up bar.

Entertainment. We did not try the mojito making class, and the El Fuego beachside bonfire with DJ playing Led Zeppelin wasn't very exciting, but we were there to relax and La Amada really facilitates relaxation.

Amenities. Pretty good free wifi reception everywhere except the Spa/Gym, even on the beach! The concierge will help you print your boarding pass for your return flight, and they can easily get you a taxi. Toiletries include L'Occitane shower gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner, razor with shaving cream, toothbrush and toothpaste, sewing kit, cotton pads, nail file, and qtips. Robes and slippers are in the room as well. Towels provided at the beach and pool. Kayaking available.

All inclusive. At check-in they put a $200 hold on a credit card. Between 2 of us we spent $100 on a hat and sunscreen in the store, and then tipped very moderately on drinks and food ($5 for a day of drinks or great meal service, $2-3 for just 1 service, put on the bill) as our confirmation message from the concierge did state that tips were included. They take your photo upon arrival which is supposed to do away with the need for a wristband, but you have to give your room card whenever you sign a bill (they run a tab for you at the beach so you only have to sign once at the beach if you stay at the beach all day) - This may be simplified when the whole property becomes all-inclusive in 2012.. We never left the property, we received everything we asked for, and the minibar really is included. We never converted any money to pesos, although there is an ATM in the reception area, and you can take cash advances against your $200 credit card hold.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanview room - ours had a pool room but it would have been much nicer to see the water.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,252 reviews
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!