“Smashing Location”
Review of Crinan Hotel

Crinan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Crinan B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I spent two nights at the Crinan, which is set in a beautiful location, I found all the staff very helpful and friendly, and kindly came in early to make me breakfast, my room was clean and spacious. The hotel in General might be classed as a bit dated, but I thought it added to the charm of the place, I had one meal which was very tasty, but I will say I only got two sausages with my mash for£13.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee T
Nick and France... R, Owner at Crinan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write, and we are so glad you appreciated what we are trying to achieve at Crinan.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

To give this poor review is really sad, because the potential here for the 'harbour side' coffee shop should be superb. To explain, the coffee shop operated by the hotel is about 50 yards from the hotel main building, right on the side of the very attractive picturesque canal basin at the Crinan Sea Lock.

Outside the coffee shop there is an 'A' board advertising "hot bacon rolls". We went in and asked the lone female member of staff for hot bacon rolls.

We were told very curtly (in an east european accent) "no bacon". No smile or apology etc, just very curt. We ordered a Ham Salad roll and an Egg Mayo roll, with a pot of tea for two. After quite a wait, the Ham salad and Egg mayo rolls were produced, with the tea (one cup was significantly tea statined). She didn't have to go to the hotel for these as the coffee shop does have a full kitchen behind the counter.

Rolls were fresh enough but the ham was clearly that cheap processed slimy sort, and had been excessively seasoned with salt and pepper - edible but only just. The Egg Mayo roll was served with the two halves of the roll left separate and each half covered with an egg mayo mix of finely chopped egg soaked in some form of mayo sauce. This 'filling' was so wet that it would have been impossible to 'close' the two halves of the 'filled roll' and it was also excessively seasoned with salt and pepper. I tried a few mouthfuls but it was unpleasant (could not taste any of the egg as it was disguised by the upleasant salty mayo mix). I left the most of it, taking it back to the serving counter. I complained to the staff girl, and she merely glared at me and said curtly "it fresh".

Returning to our table I tried the tea which was luke warm in it's pot.

So we had paid between £11 and £12 for two very sub standard filled rolls and a luke warm pot of tea. As we left I complained again, commenting that in the UK we prepared tea with water either on or just off the boil - required to make the tea brew properly. The female, merely responded "water is from that" (pointing to an urn). She then said "food not my fault - all food prepared in hotel kitchen" (inference that I would have to complain there). All of this was said very curtly in 'pigeon english'.

I commented that perhaps I should place a review of the Hotel's catering on Trip Advisor, whereupon she then - and only then - said "I give you refund for roll". She then produced £3.50 refund for my roll.

This location is one of stunning beauty, with all the boats providing a lovely atmosphere. The only remaining genuine 'Clyde Puffer' boat is moored only yards from, and opposite to, the coffe shop. Travellers should not be put off visiting the harbour, lock basin, area - but do be wary of the Hotel's harbour side coffee shop.

If the Hotel's kitchen produces such poor quality food for their coffee shop, perhaps it is a 'word of caution' for those contemplating the quality of the meals served in the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hotelboat_Willow

Thank you for putting accross your point. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations, we do try really hard to ensure that all our guests enjoy their visit to Crinan.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here with my husband and had always wanted to stay because of the reputation. Overnight with a voucher £89 for B and B and dinner with a bottle of average white £99 not in the least worth that amount of money. As you know I stay all over and this I would rate 3 star with food slightly above. The girls in the restaurant were lovely. Thank you for your good service. Breakfast very poor with small choice especially for vegitarians
Dinner starter mussels 10 or 12 in a small plate. Main I had to give my husband my potatoes as portions were so small and shame on the cheese board. Scottish cheese is amazing! I was served 2 triangles of cheddar and 2 of blue cheese with a small sliced apple and PARSLEY?????????????
At £35 a head it was not value or tasty. I was told Princess Anne stays here well all I can say is she must have poor standards. Room old..handles falling off carpets needing a good clean and the tap in the bathroom came off in my hand. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scottiewanderer

Thank you very much for putting accross your point we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We conintue to try and and provide the best service we are renowned for

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant staff could not answer questions about the menu ....more preparation needed before serving! Manager not very welcoming and suit needed a good clean ...... These points let down what could potentially be a lovely hotel set in ideal setting . Overall the serving staff let it down ..... needs better staff training !

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Godlessiop

Thank you for your comments, the points you have raised have been dealt with. Please accept our apologies as we did not realise there was a problem

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We decided to cycle to Crinan on Sunday 29 September 2013 and planned to have a coffee and cake before continuing on our journey. What a horrible experience. The coffee shop itself is in dire need of a good clean and paint job, as the paint is flaking off the walls and rust showing through. We arrived just after it opened at 10 am. What few cakes they had on display did not look at all appetising and there were quite a few flies around. None of the cakes were covered - not very hygenic. The coffee was pretty disgusting (tasted like instant) and at £2.20 per cup was extremely overpriced for what it was. The milk was served in a chipped jug. The loos were pretty awful, in need of a good clean. There were two broken pieces of soap in the ladies which did not look at all hygenic (thankfully I had some anti bacterial hand cleaner with me). Very disappointed in my visit. This is an ideal location for a fantastic venue. Is it the case that it is the only place around and the owners feel that they will get the custom regardless, and they don't care? Will definitely not be back and will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Neil and Linda S

Thank you very much for putting accross your point, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good to see the owners are finally responding to comments - we wrote to them direct after staying with them and didn't get a reply. We stayed there three years ago on the first night of our honeymoon which they were told of on booking so some acknowledgement would have been nice, "congratulations" for instance. The decor of the room we were given was very tired, peeling lino in the bathroom, blankets - no duvet and although the view was stunning the windows were dirty. The food was ok, the chef was trying but not quite getting it. We would have laughed it all off as a Fawlty Towers experience if it hadn't been for the prices they charge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank allyballyb2013

We are sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations, we did not appreciate the fact there was a problem

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had booked a balcony room at the hotel. The hotel is in a stunning location. Looks a little tired from the outside and some tacky signs in the reception. We were shown to a room with a good view but no balcony. It was old fashioned and basic. Felt like a care home. The bed cover had brown stains on it and the valance on the bed had black scuff marks round the bottom. On going back to reception we queried the room and were told that all the balcony rooms were already booked. I think they were hoping to get away with charging us a higher price for a cheaper room. The receptionist showed us a balcony room and said that she could move the booked guests to another room. The so called better room looked just as tired and didn't have as good a view. She left us to decide what we wanted to do. We decided to try to find another hotel as we didn't feel comfortable staying there. It's a shame because it had good reviews in some guidebooks and we wanted to experience the food.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have the best views.