“Average but just a bit more!”

Barnabys Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 24 Restaurants in Ballyclare
Cuisines: British, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Belfast
“Average but just a bit more!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Went for my birthday treat, looked at the online menu, looked good so I phoned to book a table. Arrived a week later to find the the set menu had changed a few weeks earlier but the website hadn't been updated.. A bit poor now days not to have an updated menu on the the website.

The staff were great, food of a good standard but found the menu a bit bizzy , had melon soup but very disappointed ...main course was great and then the dessert was average...

For 34 pounds for two including wine was not bad value but I must say over the last year, it's gown a bit down, no extra veg or potatoes served with main course..

Will I return, maybe not for a while

Visited August 2013

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
“Bit hit and miss of late”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I would dine here quite often, the Tuesday offer of buy one meal get one free is good value but sadly agree with some of the more negative views on here. Portions have got alot smaller, chips now come in a wee basket which mean you get less. Food takes quite a while to arrive even when no particularly busy. Staff friendly enough but one waitress totally stunk of smoke which put me right off. As I said bit hit and miss maybe need to train up staff and have more generous portions. Also can be cold with kids opening doors of conservatory, if it were me, I would lock this door and open windows if people are too warm.

“Memorable meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've read a few poor reviews of this restaurant, but I must say everything we had was wonderful! Starter=ribs
Main= steak
Both were really good. The quality of the steak was good and the sauces complimented it nicely.

Had a steak in a more expensive restaurant the next night that was a real let down in comparison.

Would recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting fairly simple food produced at a high standard, the meal really was a pleasure.

Banbridge
“Service not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

With friends on a Saturday night. Staff friendly but didn't really know what they were doing. Ordered drinks to have another staff member if we wanted a drink. Waitress taking the order had to ask other staff member about the starter as she didn't know then asked about the steaks had to go to the kitchen to find out how mature they were. Order taken had to return to ask how steak was to be cooked, then returned to say there was no 12oz left. Wine was just set in the middle of the table and a keen eye spotted it was not what was ordered. This was resolved and the starter arrived bruschetta with parma ham unfortunately although it was tasty the bread was soggy. Steaks arrived rear ribeye well not quite the steak was browned on top but the rest seemed stewed no flavour sealing had taken place. This was a shame as it was 28 day matured and spoilt it slightly but it was still a beautiful piece of steak and more to medium than I rare. There was just a slap happiness to the whole thing by staff no attention to any detail and we had been served by our 5 member of staff. The dessert menu arrived and as we perused what was a grubby sheet of paper on a leather binding you realised that your hand was in something turn over to find cream all over it.
This is a lovely looking establishment and nicely presented and the conservatory where we were seated looked out over the golf course. The prices charged for the steak near £24 is a bit much this was not fine dining don't get me wrong it was fair but not great the staff organisation was just not good which let it down.
The floor manager was good pleasant and helpful but if I had not spoken to him come bill time I would have to have complained as the steak had not been resolved.
Attention to detail required to bring this up to a good level.
Outside seating was nice large picnic tables with individual seats just a pity a couple were broken.

1 Thank BigAl1050
N. IRELAND
“Food still good but......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant now for 10 years (lunch time and evenings). My partner and I have always enjoyed the food and to a point still do. However over this past few months we have noticed that the portion size is getting smaller, something that we can put up with but what we can no longer put up with is the bad service and waiting time. We arrived at our usual time of 7.00pm, 4 of us, we waited almost 5 mins to be greeted and shown to our table. We ordered at 7.15pm and did not receive our meals until 8.10pm. Not once did anyone say sorry or give any excuse for the delay and this is not the first time this has happened it seems to be the norm of late. I realize that this length of wait may be acceptable to some but not to us....we used to be able to be in at 7.00pm and out by 8.00pm having consumed 2 courses!!! Get your act together Barnabys or you will be losing your long term customers like myself if this continues.

3 Thank BEENROUNDTHEWORLD