“Lovely as always..”

Black Swan Guest House
Ranked #3 of 9 Gainsborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed a few times at the Black Swan as work occasionally in the area. The owners are lovely and always make you feel welcome.
I have stayed in the Stable block and in the main house and all the rooms have been exceptionally clean with comfortable beds.
I always feel like I have had a break when I stay there and would recommend it 100% to anyone thinking of staying in the area.

Lynne x

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank chaseyourdreams45
johnpatrick51, Manager at Black Swan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Hello Lynn - as always it is a pleasure to see you and we hope there will another visit from you soon.

There are newer reviews for Black Swan Guest House

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Black Swan several times. John, Judy and Graeme are very helpful. The rooms are great, very clean, and they serve the most wonderful breakfasts, the best scrambled egg I have ever tasted. If you need directions or advice on any subject they go out of their way to help. We absolutely recommend the Black Swan for everyone.
Carol & Bryan

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bryanlebon
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Spent 4 nights here whilst antique shopping in Lincolnshire. Excellent breakfasts, extremely clean and pleasant room with all facilities you would need. The owners were helpful and friendly and were keen to make sure the stay was comfortable. Will go back and would recommend to friends and family. Thank you.

Room Tip: Room 1 large and recently refurbished but noisey if not used to traffic.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy B
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here on one night as part of my wife's birthday genealogy bash. We were in a self contained unit in the stable block. Everything we needed was there and the beds gave us a great night's sleep. The owner was extremely helpful and friendly. He pointed us to the pub up the road which served a good meal on a Sunday. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IanSant
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I arrived around 20:30 in the evening and was shown to my room. I was situated "road side" and was tired and hungry on arrival. At around 21:10 I wandered over to the local pub..... as far as I was made aware, this was the only place locally to eat, as the area is very issolated. I was unable to eat due to the fact the pub stops serving at 21:00hrs and to be honest, it wasn't the tidiest pub in the world and appeared not to have been referbished in the slightest since it first opened. I returned to my room hungry and very tired around 22:30hrs where I attempted to sleep. The noise from the passing traffic was enough to keep me awake in itself but that combined with stud partition walls and a snoring male, resulted in me not sleeping for no more than 2 hours through the course of the night. I decided to get up and shower around 06:30hrs ( no issues with the bathroom by the way...... it was in character with the rest of the building) When I went down stairs I was asked how I had slept...................... I advised the female owner that I barely slept for the above reasons in a pleasent and conversational manner. I asked if it was possible to change rooms and that if it wasnt, would there be a cancellation fee for the two further nights I was booked in for. I was told that there would be, @ a rate of £30 per night. I was advised that there was a room at the front I could move to which seemed a better option for me. When I sat down to breakfast (which was nice) I had to as for a clean fork as the one I was served with contained an unwanted degree of dried egg yolk. This was subsiquently changed on upon my request. After breakfast I returned to my room and packed my bags ready to either move to another room or decide (myself) to leave for another hotel. When I arrived at reception I was confronted by the couple that owned the property. They closed ranks and suggested that it would be "for the best" if I were to leave. To say I was shocked would be an understatment. I asked how it could have been taken as disrespectful to mearly explain that I did not sleep due to traffic noise and the noise from another guest's snoring. I was neither lying nor exaggerating. As awkward as it was it was made worse by the fact the (female) owner who ushered me to the door was actually in tears as she did so. I was astonished and was made to feel awful for basically not managing to sleep in the enviroment I had paid to attend............... and Yes, they charged the cancellation fee.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Stacey P
johnpatrick51, Owner at Black Swan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at our guest house, we always appreciate feedback. Sometimes, because we are only human, bookings can go wrong, and this sadly was one that did, partly through a lack of communication. Also, our recollection of events does not entirely tie in with your comments. However, we do regret that you did not have a good experience with us. I would just like to comment that the cancellation fee as you implied was not collected, but after discussion with your employer a minor contribution was paid.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed for two nights bed and breakfast whilst visiting family in one of the family rooms (Cromwell Room) in a converted stable block. The room was well equipped with a double bed, single bed , bathroom and a kitchenette. The owners were very friendly and the breakfast was superb using locally sourced ingredients. Would recommend for a short break and would definitely use again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was searching online for a nights' accommodation to attend a wedding in Gainsborough. I rang several places but they were unable to accommodate my electric scooter. I rang the Black Swan and explained my disability requirements. The owner could not have been more helpful, even offering to move furniture if necessary.
On arrival we were greeted by Judy who was very helpful. Our room was formerly a stable with parking directly outside. Inside we had a double bed (extremely comfortable) and a single bed. There was a sofa, wardrobe, bedside cabinets with alarm clock and TV with freeview. We were astonished to find a small kitchen with Fridge, Microwave, Small Oven with 2 hobs and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was very spacious with a good power shower etc.... The standard of cleanliness was exceptional.
In the morning we went to the main house for breakfast, which was plentiful and exceptionally tasty. All products are locally sourced and if staying here you would have to be mad to give it a miss!
This is without doubt the best B&B we have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: If you have a disability ask for one of the stable rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gainsborough
Hickman Hill Hotel
#7 of 14 in Lincoln
Brampton Dales Farm
Brampton Dales Farm
#4 of 9 in Gainsborough

Been to Black Swan Guest House? Share your experiences!