“oh so good but but but”
Review of Hickman Hill Hotel

Hickman Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gainsborough
Reviewed October 25, 2012

hi stayed here by accident came quite late at night its a delightful setting and the room was great no shower but hey its a charachter property and the bathroom was huge, the bed fantastic and the feel of a country retreat and yes thank god a place that still puts coffee and tea in the room so very important a huge plus the owner made dinner for us even though it was quite late and the food was very good and not repeat not overpriced six barcardis and cokes a bottle of house red and two courses ogf very good food for £80 odd made up for the rather steep room rate of a £100 for a double but having said that the room was of a excellent quality OK HERES THE BAD NEWS THEY WENT TO SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH EVERYTHING except the restraunt it had no charm looked like a spare room when the rest of the house was so well done and PLEASE WHY OH WHY DONT PEOPLE USE CANDLES ON DINNER TABLES IT DRIVES ME MAD ITS SO EASY SO CHEAP AND IS DONE ALL OVER EUROPE OK MOAN OVER WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN YES I WOULD WAS IT VALUE FOR MONEY YES IF YOU EAT THERE ONLY NEXT TIME I WOULD BRING MY OWN CANDLES THANKS FOR READING Paul

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HickmanHill, Owner at Hickman Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We often have candles on the table and if you had asked we would have been happy to put some out for you. Next year we are hoping to redesign our whole dining and function area to make it a more contemporary setting. We hope you are able to revisit us when it is all complete.

There are newer reviews for Hickman Hill Hotel

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was our first stay in Gainsborough for many years. Usually overnighting in large hotels this was such a pleasant change that we wished we'd tried smaller establishments before. The difference was simply the owners. Warmly welcomed by Michelle we were shown to our stylish ground-floor room where we were soon at home. We knew immediately that we were going to be looked after throughout our short stay. Our bed was very comfortable and the room spotless. A large bathroom and shower room complimented the accomodation wonderfully. Our tasty well cooked breakfast was generously portioned setting us up for our journey North. Robert even made time to tell us about the hotel's history and brought out old school photographs in which I was able to spot my Father in the 1930's. A truly memorable stay. I am looking forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HickmanHill, Owner at Hickman Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for your excellent review. I will make sure there are plenty of vegetarian options for your next visit.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I came back to the Hickman Hill recently after having used hotels in Bawtry for several years and was very pleasantly surprised and delighted with the work that has been done.
The room I was given was modern, chic and very well equipped, with a huge bed and a very impressive wet room style bathroom.
MIchelle was as bubbly and friendly as ever and her husband Robert cooked us a wonderful meal.
I was with customers who can be a bit lively shall we say and we kept the bar open longer than usual but were made to feel very welcome.
For anybody who remembers the dubious chintzy charm and tons of colour co-ordinated knick knacks of the old Hickman Hill not to mention stepping over the sleeping dogs will be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms as almost all of them have been completed and the standard is muc...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I traveled to Gainsborough for work at was due to stay in a Best Western which was fully booked so ended up at Hickman Hill Hotel. I really enjoyed my stay as did my 3 colleagues. Each of our rooms was different and had lovely touches such as the bone china tea set such a nice change from the generic ones you see in hotels.
My bed was very comfortable and my colleagues felt so too, so comfortable that 2 colleagues overslept on consecutive days!
Breakfast was freshly prepared to order no buffet style soggy food here. I also enjoyed my evening meal which was very well presented and tasty.
Without sounding too gushing the owners are what make this place extra special and are so kind, considerate and helpful.
If I end up at Gainsborough again I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Elliot is a nice room or upgrade to a superior room they are stunning. Even though my room faced th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was sent on a last minute dash to Gainsborough for work, and was lucky enough to find the Hickman Hill hotel online on my way up on the train. They were pleasant on the phone, happy to wait up until 11pm for me on request and swift and efficient showing me to my room.
My room itself, the John Hook, was gorgeous and great value for money - huge bed, big desk to work on (and internet cable which saved precious minutes), big TV and lovely bathroom with waterfall shower.
They allowed me to check out late (for a very fair extra cost) and co-owner Michelle spent a while chatting to me and advising me on the best way to get home and where to grab lunch while I waited to get the okay from my boss to head home.
Sadly, I didn't get a chance to eat dinner there (though the breakfast was great) as I hear the food is fantastic.
If I ever found myself in the area again, I'd definitely be happy to stay in the Hickman Hill once again.

Room Tip: John Hook room is newly refurbished, comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Ok, to be brutally honest, I would need to have a good reason to visit Gainsborough again.
But if I did, I would not hesitate going back to the Hickman Hill.

The reason I booked here was for its proximity to the Hemswell antiques centre, and a client who wanted a change from Lincoln. I had misgivings when I first saw the town and just two stars for the hotel, but there were some pleasant surprises.

The rooms were fine and big enough.
The hosts were charming and obviously well-liked by regular guests.
Best of all was the food, which was excellent.

William Lingwood-Watts

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lingwood-Watts
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Lovely personal touch.
Food fresh local produce cooked to perfection.
Would definitely recommend this hotel and most definitely recommend the food - chef fantastic
Maggie

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Maggie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gainsborough
Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
#3 of 9 in Gainsborough
Eastbourne House
Eastbourne House
#5 of 9 in Gainsborough

Been to Hickman Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!