“Best B&B I've been to. Felt like visiting family.”

Garden View Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Rolleston B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Best B&B I've been to. Felt like visiting family.”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked a room at Garden View based on photos of the rooms and the garden and I certainly was not disappointed. My room is big, with a huge, comfortable bed. A large, clean bathroom with an excellent shower right next to it. There's also a huge window with said garden view.
The garden is so lush and spectacular I just spent my entire first evening reading a book there.

The first thing that happened when I arrived was John made me a cup of tea and we all sat down in the livingroom and talked about everything and nothing. Later that day they asked if I'd have dinner with them and the next day, after breakfast, I was heading out to Akaroa, Beth stopped me and asked me to wait a minute before I left cause she was "making me a thermos". The thermos turned out to be a picnic basket with tea, coffee, milk, sugar and homemade biscuits(!)

Beth said they don't do this for profit and I can believe that... She also said they don't stand on ceremony, which is also correct. It's very laidback and cozy here and I'm loving every minute.

In short Beth and John run a spacious, clean BnB with extra warmth, relaxing atmosphere and a fantastic garden. I have a rental car, so I don't know what it's like for people going by bus etc, but I see several bus stops around here.

NEGATIVE: Nothing.
POSITIVE: Staff/hosts, beds, bathroom, location, garden.

Room Tip: I was in the Kowhai Room and it had a fantastic view of the garden.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dietlikon, Switzerland
Reviewed February 1, 2014

John and Beth were the sweetest people. You felt like being home from the very first second. They are very interested,caring and also talented people! Beth play wonderful songs on the piano before you go to bed for example.
There's nothing you have to worry about. They even made sure we would get up early enough to catch our early flight, got up at 5.45am just to make us breakfast.
The house and the room are really clean, with fresh flowers from their huuuuge garden, which is beautiful as well. Well worth the money a hundred times!! would stay there again any time!
Thank you Beth and John!

Ps: I agree with some people about the location, but Christchurch is reachable within 30 minutes by car, the airport within 20 minutes, which is okay I think.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jazzyjazz8
Fullerton, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our December 2013 stay at the Garden View B&B in Rolleston, south of Christchurch airport, was a wonderful way to begin our NZ tour. Our hosts, John and Beth, gave us a warm welcome and a personal touch, answering our questions and giving us pointers on what to expect on our travels. When we arrived, Beth had prepared a tasty spread of snacks for us to enjoy on the patio in full view of the bountiful garden. The acre+ garden is a beautiful array of domestic and exotic plants and reflects John's background as a plant scientist and his eye for color, texture and composition. Our room was comfortable and immaculate. In the morning they prepared a hearty breakfast and we embarked on our NZ adventure with warm wishes and glad that we had stopped at the Garden View B&B and met John and Beth.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2014

John and Beth were great hosts and their house and garden are beautiful. Our conversations were so interesting, we couldn't quit talking, so we were late to bed and got off late, but it was well worth it. For Americans, if you ask enough questions, you will find out that they are the parents of Phil Keoghan, the host of the Amazing Race. The flowers were in full bloom, and the gardens are wonderfully laid out. They are out in the suburbs of Christchurch and new home and subdivisions are moving out their direction. You have to look pretty closely for their sign. Again, this is a wonderful place and I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Randy H
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Very interesting people. a wealth of knowledge that they are more than happy to share. felt very comfortable and almost one of the family. Highly recommended . The service they provided was far more than one would expect. Thank you John and Beth for a pleasent stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a lovely stay here. The hosts were very friendly and helpful and the room was in perfect condition, fresh roses in the room and a beautiful bathroom. There is a big garden around the house and you wouldn´t guess that you are in the middle of a built up area. The only minus is that you really have to take the car to get to a restaurant in the evening. The local center had no charm at all, but a very,very good indian restaurant! Lots of recommendations if you want a nice place to relax!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I let out a sigh of relief when I walked into the Garden View Bed and Breakfast. John and Beth are as warm and sweet as the cup of tea and yogurt covered cookie they greeted me with at the door. They are so welcoming and are great conversationalists. I felt right at home from the minute I walked in the door.

We loved every minute we stayed there and lingered a little longer than we should have.

The room was spacious and beautiful. I loved the collection of magazines and books available for me to peruse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rolleston
Rolleston Highway Motel
#4 of 5 in Rolleston
Number Six Homestay
Number Six Homestay
#1 of 1 in Rolleston

Been to Garden View Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!