“Amazing”

Pretty River Valley Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Nottawa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We loved this property and the proprietors! It was close enough for a day trip to Blue Mountain village, local cheese and meat shops and we even went horse back riding at the Inn! A wonderfully restorative and relaxing vacation. We will be returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have had the pleasure of staying at Pretty River many times over many years. On each occasion we have been greeted with warmth and kindness - and attentiveness by all staff. By expanding their farmhouse into various suites and crofts, with spacious interiors and magnificent views, the owners have invited their guests onto a rustic property, surrounded by the best mother nature has to offer amid a smattering of farm animals - except of course for the reindeer raised on this property. Settled in amongst the beauty of the Collingwood hills this Inn brings a sense of peace and tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of city life. One can feel both refreshed and rejuvenated staying here for a few days. Try it once and you will very likely come back for more. That is what happened to us. Andrew

Room Tip: Of all of the various rooms we have stayed in, my personal favourite is the Highland Suite. There is...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Perfect for those that love animals, nature and value peace and quiet. We cannot wait to return and have recommended this inn to our friends.

This was truly one of the most relaxing vacations my husband and I have ever had despite the fact that it rained the entire time we were there (end of April). My husband had doubts about the inn as he did not want to go anywhere "too rustic". He was quite pleased when we entered the Ben Nevis Croft room. A spacious room for the two of us with a Jacuzzi and wood-burning stove. The bed was so comfortable it was like sleeping on a cloud! We are currently looking at purchasing the same type of Tempurpedic mattress for home. There were so many other wonderful things about Pretty River Valley Country Inn that I do not know where to begin...

- Mac and Angus our K9 greeters were a delight
- staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area and attractions which helped us make decisions on where we spent our time
- BIG country breakfast; very delicious! Hats off to the chefs! Thankful for the treadmill in the workout room.
- so wonderful to see the farm animals and walk the trails behind the inn
- quiet & private - could only hear the bullfrogs at night :)
- came back to our room to lovely surprises such as chocolate-covered strawberries, sparkling pear wine and flowers

Do not miss...

- Scandinave Spa
- The Cheese Gallery - Thornbury
- Stuffed Peasant - Collingwood (best meal we have ever had!)
- Heavenly Sweets Café - Collingwood
- Scenic Cave Adventures - Blue Mountain

Room Tip: Read the reviews and be honest with yourself about what you want. We were prepared to pay more for t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sdb_552014
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My friend and I just came back from a super getaway girls' weekend at the Pretty River Valley Country Inn. The location is superbly beautiful, the inn cozy and the experience provided exactly the rest and relaxation we both needed. We booked the Scandanavian Spa package and the robe/water was a thoughtful touch. I hope to return as soon as possible! I wouldn't change a thing!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Nextsummer
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We really loved our stay at the Inn. As nature lovers, we were thrilled to find this gem outside the hustle & bustle of Collingwood. If you're looking for a standard fancy hotel experience, stay elsewhere..this is more of a "cabin in the woods" experience, which is exactly what we were hoping for. We stayed in the main Inn and loved our charming country room (Studio 1). It was clean and comfortable and we loved having a wood burning fire place right in our room. My suggestion would be to ask for some kindling or extra firestarters beforehand, because our logs didn't really end up catching once the inital paper was burnt. The property is quite large with lots of trees and beautiful horses and reindeer- we loved strolling around. We used both the indoor and outdoor hot tub- the indoor one was a bit gritty but we didn't mind. The staff were very friendly and were helpful when I had questions about how to get to the nearby dogsledding farm. I called in advance to see if it'd be possible to arrange breakfast in bed since it was a special occasion, and Linda was very accommodating and made that happen for us. A really nice getaway from the city- I'd certainly return to the Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank earthwindfirewater
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed at the Inn in November 2013 for a girl's weekend getaway. The location is lovely, with nice views of the surrounding hillside. The problem was with the room. We stayed in the older section, and I have to agree with other reviewers, the decor was quite eclectic and old.It may have been the Highland Suite. A lovely stone fireplace dominated the room, but the furniture consisted of an old rocking chair, a brown velour pull-out couch that I think was from the 1980's, a folk-art cuckoo clock on the mantle, and a mismatched variety of paintings and prints. The bedroom area was nicer, but the ensuite bathroom was so narrow your knees were almost touching the wall when using the toilet. My girlfriends shared the bed while I slept on the extremely uncomfortable pullout couch. The grand total for the 3 of us, for this older "suite" was $330 for a single night, and I slept on a pullout! I have paid far less to stay in Chicago on the Magnificent Mile.
When breakfast rolled around, we had to wait approximately 20 minutes before we could be seated in the dining room. This room only has 4 tables in it, and the Inn was full, so we waited, and the people after us waited, etc. etc. I have never encountered this problem before, where the seating is inadequate to the number of rooms. They lovely waitstaff did give us coffee/tea, while we waited, and the staff there were very lovely and friendly.
We did check out the newer Croft section, and although we could not go into the rooms, the building was quite lovely, with a nice kitchenette area. However this section of room starts around $350 I believe, which again I think is overpriced.
I have stayed at many of the Ontario's Finest Inns and I do not feel this lives up to the expectation.

Room Tip: I would check into the Croft rooms, although these are much more expensive.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
escarpment, Owner at Pretty River Valley Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

All reviews are appreciated but at times I am sooo perplexed as to why people make the choices they do when choosing a getaway. As mentioned before in prior posts your time away is important and it should be memorable experience in a positive way. Being a senior contributor I suspect you get it right more times than wrong. I will take your comment regarding “eclectic” re decor as a positive and question “old” = antique? I like rocking chairs...you don’t......

The queen pull out couch is recently acquired but I can appreciate your comment on it not being comfortable. I have yet to meet a pull out that is as comfortable as a bed especially the Tempur-Pedic that we have. We were perplexed about your choice of accommodation. Three women in a suite with a two person Jacuzzi that dominates the space in front of the fireplace would not have been our advice to you. It rather calls for a romantic retreat not a “girls getaway”.

Your memory regarding the “variety of mismatched paintings and prints” is awesome after 5 months. The art theme in the two rooms in the Highland Suite is equine, both originals and numbered prints with not a matching frame in site:, but “art is there to elicit an emotion, not necessarily a positive one, so I will assume it did its job!”

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff at breakfast. The dining room does seat 16 with an additional 8 on the terrace during mild weather supporting 11 different accommodations, but if you were feeling “peckish” or in a rush staff would have happily provided a set up at either coffee table in the lobby area or in the Log great room where you could have had a nibble while waiting. Breakfast runs for two hours and many guests get to breakfast with 15 minutes to spare, hence the bottle neck at times.

Guest Tip. Research, Research, Research, Think rustic, eclectic, antiques and fabulous Tempur-Pedic sleep systems. Although proud to be a member of Ontario’s Finest we are their only Farm. Think Agro-Tourism, fresh eggs, own maple syrup, lavender jelly, honey and our own pork products and mismatched furniture. We don’t aspire to be measured against Chicago’s Magnificent mile.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have returned from a mid-week stay at the Pretty River Valley Country Inn. We are very disappointed with our experience to say the least. Upon our arrival at the Inn at 2:30 PM, an unploughed lane way made it impossible for our SUV to get to the INN. After having snowed all morning, you would think that at 2:30 check-inn time, the lane way would have been cleared. THIS should have been our first red flag.
After checking inn, we were informed that the activity "package" we had signed up for was not actually on the Inn grounds, but outsourced to a local farmer. We were under the assumption that in order to do the dogsledding, we had to stay at the Inn. It is NOT a package...and you pay for your (overpriced) stay separately from the dogsledding. Typically, when you pay for a package you get some kind of % discount because you are staying as well as doing an activity. This is what is stated on the Inn's website "Combine the exhilaration of dog sledding & a stay at the Inn." Very untrue... We could have stayed elsewhere, at a more modern, clean, not smelly hotel and still gone dogsledding.
Our room was dirty, and smelt funky. You were not permitted to bring your shoes into the Inn, which was strange. The carpets in our room were no dirty my socks were black. Also, the indoor hot tub was about the size of a kiddie pool and was so dirty you could feel the grit under your toes.
More notes :
- breakfast was unsatisfying and they did not accommodate for allergies, as they said they would on the phone.
- the reindeer looked very sad in their pen and had blood all over their horns.
- the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything going on throughout the Inn.

We contemplated leaving when we first got to our room, but they have a 7 day cancelation policy..... which is frightening. 24h is more normal. We will not be recommending this Inn to anyone, and will certainly not travel back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NandS895
escarpment, Owner at Pretty River Valley Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Stephane I am assuming the events are as follows: you viewed our Reindeer, saw blood, went home, waited a day, wrote your travelogue to the trip advisor world, BUT did not think that you should inform staff at the Inn that an animal appeared to be in distress so they could take appropriate action like calling a VET? Shame on you! All deer at this time of year lose their racks (antlers) blood vessels die and eventually they fall away and it is always accompanied by some blood loss. It is the nature of things.

Talking about the “Nature of Things” We have never had complaints about noise transfer in the Studios (SOLID WOOD DOORS) BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST. As you had only one other couple next door and as you did not inform us of any “rowdy” activity I can only speculate that next door: wood burning fireplace + good bottle of wine + fabulous mattress = lusty amorous serenade?

. I remember you well as I came down to the parking lot and helped bring your luggage up. The driveway had been cleared twice that day prior to your arrival as it was yet again a very cold snow day with some road closures. All other vehicles made it up with no incidence. BUT we are always happy to help people who have inappropriate tires or who are not familiar with winter driving.
Your remarks regarding bringing your dirty shoes into the Inn is laughable! You strode through the lobby with filthy boots and I believe a guest suggested that you remove them. The policy is for staff to always clean the hardwood floors IMMEDIATELY when guests do not avail themselves of the slippers that are strategically placed in the hallway for their comfort. Puddles and mud on the hardware is a recipe for an accident. The carpets in your room were not dirty or perhaps they were upon departure as you did wear your outdoor footwear in the room? Your remarks of the Inn not being modern, clean, smelly are subjective. Taste in decor is personal. We have, we hope a comfortable, rustic country environment. We don’t use commercial air fresheners but essential oils to clear the air and smudge sticks on occasion when needed to move negative energy. You would have undoubtedly smelled wood smoke from the fireplaces; perhaps an electric or propane fireplace would have been more appropriate for you. The hot tub was clean (tested every two days) but there is always calcium in the water from our well that is in fact a bit gritty. If AS YOU SAY the room was not clean upon arrival, if it was me, I would have been in the Inn’s staff face demanding the situation to be rectified? You did not say anything other than you had a pleasant stay upon check out! We also require guests to identify themselves at breakfast regarding allergies and unfortunately your partner did not although we were certainly prepared for her non dairy requirement.
And lastly.... We offer packages to assist our guests with scheduling and logistics. We have not OUTSOURCED to a farmer. He owns the dogs! Reading our website would have clued you in as well. Where does it talk about our 33 barking dogs being in residence? You did in fact by paying the farmer direct save 13% off the experience. Our guests interested in activities where there is collaboration or specific appointments needed with venues and partners must call us so that we can gather the relevant information to proceed with the booking. We do not accept online reservations for these types of packages as we want to ensure that your expectations are met. We do not charge a commission or expect gratuities for the work that we do co-ordinating these activities. It is for the benefit of the guest and is a concierge service. You would have been told the farmers rates and you chose one of his scheduled times and you would have been aware that he was 5 minutes away prior to booking. Once again T.A. world I apologize for my verbal #@#@#. It is truly difficult to not take reviews like this personally.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nottawa
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Pretty River Valley Country Inn? Share your experiences!