“July Long Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Nottawa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“July Long Weekend”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were celebrating a birthday and we choose to go North for a relaxing weekend. Pretty River Valley Country Inn (PRVCI) was recommended to us.

We chose the Sheer Indulgance package and we were not dissapointed. The Inn was lovely and nestled in a quiet peak of the valley. The views were incredibly peaceful and sounds of the birds and their animals was calming and soothing.

Breakfast at the Inn is something to experience! If you have an chance to taste the French Toast (Pain Perdu) DO NOT skip it! The homemade maple syrup is divine! However, the homemade bread....knowing this was going to be in the basket made you skip over for breakfast! I won't mention the pastries, the freshness in the eggs, bacon, sausages and veggies as my mouth is already watering and to drool at work may not be truly appreciated!

The rooms were very clean and warming. The fireplace always ready to be lit! Given this, we only needed a match as the wood was set up perfectly! We missed a dip in the Salt Water Pool however the view... seriously a great place for an evening swim to watch the sunset!

It was so very quiet! Even with the Reindeer, Roosters, Dogs and Horses. Friendly animals that wanted to meet and greet you! Angus is my favorite, and Gandolf too!

The only issue is with Collingwood - the signage for the area is in dire need of some "vacationer proof" directions and to promote it's hidden gems! We visited the Georgian Hills Winery and it is LOVELY. There should be more signage to promote the winery and the unique experience! The Wines were great, TRY Perry!!! and the Staff were very informative and sweet!

The Scandanive Spa is always a treasure. In this instance we perhaps should have chosen a different time in the day but it was relaxing nonetheless! The Steamroom is simply the best! So hot and so quiet!

All in all, a place I will take my husband to see in the fall/winter to watch the leaves and hopefully go for a sleigh ride. Maybe I can convince the dogs to hop in too!

Room Tip: Rooms have a pull out bed in the couch. Simply ask for linens or inform Linda and Paul that you are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I visited the Inn on a beautiful weekend at the beginning of March for the girl's spa weekend with my Mom and sister. We booked the Ben Navis Croft, and we were absolutely charmed by all aspects of the Inn, and the service.

We arrived on Friday night, after a nice dinner in town, and headed immediately to the hot tub out back, which we had all to ourselves! To be surrounded by snow, and a clear starry night while basking in the hot tub, was a lovely start to our weekend! Saturday morning, my Mom and I woke early and went on a photo walk of the property, and enjoyed snapping pics of reindeer and making friends with the horses. I was impressed to note that they had many of their maple trees tapped, and even more impressed when we were served the Inn's own maple syrup with our delicious crepes the next morning! We were very impressed by the large variety of home made baked goods available for breakfast, and by the lovely fireplace roaring in the breakfast room.

We went to Scandinave, which was immensely relaxing, though I would advise anyone going for the first time to bring a book or a magazine for when you rest. I didn't realize that there would be extended periods of time where I'd be free to read, so word to the wise.

We made use of the lovely fire place both nights, which was set for us (though still required some encouraging to light, as it didn't have too much kindling) and enjoyed borrowing from the DVD lending library.

Linda and Paul were lovely, and were very responsive to our requests. I loved that the Inn is a working farm, where they raise many of their own animals, and make many of their products, including maple, honey, and even raise pigs for bacon!

I just booked the long weekend in August and can't wait to return when I can make better use of the hiking trails and salt water pool! YAY!

What a great value for a really fantastic girl's weekend!

Room Tip: Ben Navis Croft was really beautiful, but is a short walk from the main building. Tread carefully o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While some things were great (bed, fireplace, privacy), overall we thought they were over-rated and not up to an Ontario's Finest Inn standard. First of all, an Inn should do dinner...this is a B&B with only breakfast offered. The breakfast was plentiful and ok, but I have had better. The room was clean and comfortable but nothing special. The fireplace was the best added touch, but they are pretty stingy with the wood supply. They only give a little and then you pay extra for more, although that did deliver it to my door in the evening when I called to ask for it. The riding is also an added bonus if you are interested in that. Overall, I think you are paying for the location next door to Blue Mountain and that they need to either re-think their self-billing or step it up a notch. I would not return unless I needed to stay somewhere in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaspar08
escarpment, Owner at Pretty River Valley Country Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Kaspar08 I see that you have discovered “Trip Advisor”. What a heady feeling to write 7 reviews in one day and become a Senior Contributor. Reality is you can influence many people and that does bestow perceived power...

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay. We are encouraged by your thoughts that you found aspects of your stay great. Ontario’s Finest Inns (OFI) has just completed their professional “secret guest” inspection. We did in fact pass a 300 point report. BUT even they sometimes do not get it (and that is fine). When driving up the driveway they did see lawns awash with Dandelions. Lost points as it should be manicured. Reality is we don’t cut grass until our bees, 2 hives gorge on the first main crop of the year.

We do find your comments regarding lack of dinner as a decidedly unfair comment. There are many Inns who only offer breakfast and some of these are Ontario’s Finest Inns qualified (4 out of 27 only serve breakfast. If you have a bias that Inns must all have dining rooms then you have certainly chosen the wrong place to stay and perhaps you should be more careful in your selection of accommodation in the future and do due diligence.

We are very fortunate that we have a unique and exceptional range of dining options available to our guests. Many of our guests will choose to bring in their own evening meal and take advantage of the microwaves and enjoy wine, and dine on charcuterie delights in front of their fireplace. Fabulous caterers provide fresh daily options to our influx of guests. Others may choose to use the five charcoal barbecues by the pool or on the patio. We do in fact provide full catering for groups (see other trip advisor (gary837) antique car club) and corporate clients.

But we also have some very special options for dining out. Nearby we have Michael Stadtlanders, recipient of the Chefs Governor Generals Award. World renowned Eiginsinn farm and his newly reopened Haisai restaurant where you can enjoy the talent of one of the top Chef’s in Canada in a unique and special environment and is minutes away. You can also choose to dine at one of the 50 plus restaurants within 10 to 20 minutes from the Inn catering to all kinds of tastes and budgets. Thank you for your positive comment on our complimentary breakfast. Our guests generally find it to be from good to outstanding and you will see this in other trip advisor comments if you took the time to read them (balance is always good). We currently fortunate to have staff who are chef trained from France who assist Paul in preparation of our breakfasts and meals for corporate and group functions.

Cost of wood. We have not raised the price for additional wood $5.00 (three additional pieces, starter and newspaper or egg carton) ever, since buying the Inn (11 years ago). Think of the labour, resources, diesel for log splitting, and human effort to stack and move the wood.

With regards to saying that you would stay at the Inn again if you were in the area, we would suggest that you explore other possibilities which may be more suitable. We always strive to meet /exceed the expectations of our guests and we will never be able to that for you as we have no plans for our own dining room.

Trip Advisor community, thank you if you have taken the time to read this....Linda & Paul
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here along with my bro-in-law and his wife. My in-laws got us this weekend trip as a Christmas gift and I'm so happy with the choice. First of all, to find the place was a little hard as you couldn't enter the address on any GPS system, whether it's a TomTom or a cell phone mapping system. But it is actually very easy to get to. I'd be a little hesitant in the winter as the road is not paved and is kinda hilly, but it would be very beautiful.

Upon arrival one lady came out and met with us. She checked us in and showed us our room. She was very friendly and had what sounded like a Parisian accent.

Our room was very quaint. It had a cottage smell only because it has a wood burning fireplace. We didn't use it as I'm pregnant and it's almost summer, so I had the a/c in the window on the whole weekend. There was a queen bed and a single bed which is good for kids or if you get in a fight with your husband while you're there (ha ha ha....don't worry, we didn't). There was also about 20" TV posted on the wall above the bar fridge. It was a couple cans of pop and a couple bottles of water. They also provided us a bottle of sparkling juice (had a wine option, but again, I'm pregnant). Not sure if this was standard or if it was because we had a package included with the stay (a wine and chesse tasting, and a day at the Scandinave Spa).

The bathroom was cute. Had a stand up shower, small sink and toilet. Everything was clean and updated.

The breakfast was superb. The first morning it was crepes with a baked goods buffet and the second morning it was a french toast and bacon buffet as well as the baked goods buffet as well. The maple syrup was home made as well as the honey on the table. They have bees on the grounds that make honey - very cool and super fresh. The male waiter also had the Parisian accent as well and was very nice and friendly.

The grounds were very nice. There was a hot tub indoor as well as one down by the pool. We never did use the pool or hot tubs, but we did take a walk around the grounds. There were reindeer and horses, and apparently other animals, but we didn't get a chance to see everything.

Overall I would highly recomment this Inn for anyone wanting a nice, quiet and relaxing place to stay. The only time I saw any other guests was a breakfast. It was very nice and secluded. It also didn't take long to get into town.

Room Tip: We had the standard suite and it was nice. Not sure what the other rooms were like, but the standar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a great place to refresh and unwind in the beautiful rolling country side. It's hard to believe you are just 10 minutes away from Collingwood. We booked a package at Scandinavian Spa thru the Inn, complete with robs and cheese tray to end our day. My wife loved the horses, reindeer and family dogs. Paul is a great host, the breakfasts were delicious and pastries are to die for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Four ladies in all spent Wednesday and Thursday night in the suite. It was wonderful.
The atmosphere was so relaxing and the breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed the hot tub, and fireplace. We spent next day at Scandinave Spa . The country setting is beautiful with the rolling hills and the Inn is unique with the horses and reindeer. We plan to make this an annual event . This was the nicest place I have been.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite wich was two levels. It can be expensive, but with sharing the costs with frie...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Norma Y
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Inn. We last stayed in October when the rolling hills were a blaze in colors. We came back this February and had another great stay and this time the the rolling hills were blanketed in snow. They always ask about your dietary needs and mine is gluten free. They had several items for me to choose at breakfast. We were traveling to the spa on the back roads when I hit an ice patch and slid into the ditch. I called the inn for help. Paul the innkeeper arrived and saved our day. We stayed in the lofts this time a newer section of the inn and we were very pleased. They care.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nottawa
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood
Craigleith Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to Pretty River Valley Country Inn? Share your experiences!