“3 days, 2 nights felt too little..”
Review of The Racha

The Racha
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
Singapore, Singapore
“3 days, 2 nights felt too little..”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

2 nights, 3 days at the RACHA was lesser than we thought. With a combination of a beautiful island, pleasant staff and absolutely stunning hotel my friends and I had a fantastic weekend in Koh Racha. We were able to surf, snorkel, bike, swim, drink, spa and have movie nights all by the free facilities and amenities provided for hotel guests. Hotel staff and services were quick and beyond friendly!

Ways to have fun at the Racha, with the Racha:
- Rooms: Must book out the Pool Villa (it’s worth it!)
- Bike down to the other side of the island for snorkeling!
- Check out the karaoke at ice bar
- Sit in and have a movie night because their free movie collection is amazing ☺
- Sit by the hammocks and enjoy a breathtaking view
- Watch sunset by the pool overlooking the ocean
- Ride their cycles around the resort
- Make time for spa!
- Get the staff to help you around because they are so friendly and welcoming to help anyone with anything they need!

Overall, it was a spectacular weekend and definitely a place to check out.

Their motto is: “Uniquely different” –it couldn’t be more correct.

Our stay: http://youtu.be/j-Xj1XBQLsU

Room Tip: A Pool Suite - The Racha offers plenty rooms with a private pool. Personally the pool in the room wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Devan B, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Roshni C:

Tropical greetings from The Racha, and thank you so much for posting such nice feedback on tripadvisor. I’m so delight to read that you had a spectacular weekend with us. Thank you for providing us the video link.

We hope to see you on your next trip.

Devan Bhaskaran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was my first trip to The Racha and certainly will not be the last. It is nestled on the hillside above the most beautiful bay of crystal clear blue waters and white sands.

I think what makes this place is the fact that they have everything you may want or need but it feels like a small private luxury hotel that it is.

The rooms - are exceptionally comfortable with everything you could need to make this a true vacation, not merely a "stay". The view from the bed over our 2 bedroom villa's private pool to the palm trees and ocean beyond was breathtaking. It made the storm and rain of this season very pleasant to witness. The automatic black out and /or day blinds that open with the touch of a button were a treat. The panel includes various lighting options such as romantic, welcome, pool, etc so that you can choose your lighting in one switch - nice! The large spa bath in the master bathroom with a TV built flush into the wall above it was a hit with the children. There is an outdoor shower and indoor shower with 2 shower heads as well. The mini bar is not over priced so staying in your villa to enjoy a private evening drink is a pleasure. It's amazing how such little things can make such a big difference to your comfort, but having plenty of large bottles of complementary water (tap water is not advisable to drink in Thailand) and a reasonably priced mini bar so that you can allow the kids that odd soda or packet of crisps made it feel like home. There is a pillow Menu and options for mattress toppers. I chose to have a goose down pillow and with mattress topper already on the bed I had 4 nights of excellent sleep. They have thought of everything and executed it perfectly.

The food- was my biggest surprise. It was outstanding! The clientele at The Racha are international and so is the food. So with a kitchen making various cuisines- (incl Chinese, Thai, European) how can they get it all so authentic? There was a BBQ buffet set in a tradition beach hut type structure which was delicious and charming. The breakfast buffet was extensive with an egg station where the chef made the best omelets I've ever had. The bread is baked fresh on the premises and is excellent. A la carte options were brilliant too. The Singapore noodles were given a thumbs up by a self confessed Singaporean foodie. They grow some of their own produce too. Very impressed as to how they manage this high standard on a relatively remote island.

We spent one evening having sundowners at the lobby bar followed by the outdoor BBQ dinner, and one evening having a European meal followed by drinks in the Icebar with live music. All private and small scale. Fabulous.

The activities- the Racha, again, has thought of everything. There's so much to do and yet no hoards of people. You could be at the gym with a view if the sea, make use of the beautiful spa where massages take place in individual spa villas (single or double), learn Thai cooking, go quad biking, diving (even an introduction to diving experience for those who are not certified or you can take a PADI course and become a certified diver depending in the length of your stay. There are walks around the island, the various swimming pool options and of course, that beach. The a Racha had a water sports team, but this time of year the sea was too rough for us to make use of the beach as much as I would have liked to.

The staff - were the cherry in top. Khun Oun, the Dive instructor taking my daughter through an intensive PADI certification. Jame who took my son and I quad biking around the island. The restaurant and bar staff. The staff on the boat taking us to and from the island. The way the luggage made it to the island and back so seamlessly and invisibly. The helpful, and very quick, room service staff. All of them deserve a mention.

There was a small wedding hosted whilst we were there which looked like it was handled beautifully. What a setting for that special day. Good choice!

The only negative for me is the number of day trippers taking endless photographs on the beach. Thankfully The Racha has 2 pool decks with views. One is build higher with fabulous views and one is right on the beach. The garden pool is settled quietly amongst the garden villas.

Devan B, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Sara B

Thank you so much for your review. Your compliments are greatly appreciated and it is very nice to know that you enjoyed every bit about the resort and the services offered by our staffs.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Racha in the near future.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

It's been some years now, since we stayed at The Racha, but we still talk about it. We had booked only a two night stay but already when we got off the boat we realized we needed to be around for a bit longer, so we extended our stay for in all four nights. The least good part were the bed that was really hard. Both me and my partner had severe back pain when we woke up every morning. We did find it a bit boring during the last days because it is such a silent place. But if you want to go away and do nothing, The Racha is perfect.
The date isnt correct, we were there in 2010 but the module in Trip Advisor is pre-defined with dates that doesnt go that far back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria G
Devan B, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Maria G

It is great to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing experience with us at The Racha. Thank you very much for your review. We certainly have made some upgrades and have added new villas for the last few years. We look forward to welcoming you back and to try out our new villas.

gm@theracha.com
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was our third trip to The Racha. Yet again, it was worth making the effort from South Africa. We stayed for 5 days, but wished we could stay longer. Even in the low season, the weather is good, the beach and the bay are stunning with some of the most incredible sunsets that are enjoyed while sipping on very well made cocktails.

We were given a lovely Grand Deluxe room with wonderful sea views. However, as if that was not good enough, we were in for a surprise. We were given an upgrade to the most incredible and spectacular accommodation one could wish for, for the last two nights of our stay. We were given a two bedroom pool suite. The suite had its own 11m rim flow pool where we could enjoy the sunshine, sea views and location in privacy. The suite is so good, that there is no need to even leave the room. Everything is there - Bose sound systems, 55inch TVs, Jura coffee machine, well stocked and reasonably priced mini-bar. Room service is just a phone call away.

We were given great personal attention by Tony, the F&B manager, Bandid, the Rooms Manager and Devan, the GM. It was my birthday on our last day, and i was given a pleasant surprise in the form of a Mai Tai for breakfast! A great way to start the day.

The hotel and island rate as our favourite spot in the world, and we already intend travelling to The Racha for my 50th birthday in a couple of years time. We are looking forward to the trip already and will definitely make the stay at The Racha a long stay.

3 Thank CraigWicker
Dear Craig Wicker

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you and your family had a wonderful experience with us. Thank you for rating us as your favorite spot.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back on your 50th birthday.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We just spent 3 nights at The Racha hotel in room 1205.& I can't recommend it enough for pecs & tranquility.... the view out over our own pool & to the ocean was stunning. The villa had everything we required for our stay & all the staff especially Mia were very helpful. The food was good, plenty choice at breakfast & the average evening meal was approx £20 per person for a main meal & a drink. The down side I found to this was that both evenings in the Racha restaurants, 3 meals were served but the fourth was always delayed & on the first evening the other3 people had finished eating before my meal arrived.
There is another cheaper restaurant at the side of the hotel which is a lot cheaper. It isn't past of the hotel so you have to walk over rocks & climb a bit of a hill to get to it. We timed it wrong & the tide was coming in on our way back so we got a bit wet !!!

The free push bikes are a good way of seeing the island. They also have lots of other things on offer to do such as diving & snorkelling which we didn't get chance to do unfortunately due to the weather.

The only other issue I had & didn't know about this when we booked, obviously July is low season so the sea can be quite rough, its a 30 minute boat trip to get to the island which turned out to be a nightmare. The boat was bouncing up & down & several people were physically sick. They actually give out sick bags at the start of the journey !!! Im sure in high season this isn't a problem but just beware if you intend to travel at this time of year. Take anti sickness pills before getting on the boat.

All in all & would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 1205 which had an amazing view.
2 Thank dawng3
Dear DawnG3

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that we were not 100% on this occasion. The point you raise about our Food & Beverage service being slow have been taken on board and shared with the relevant teams. We will endeavor to improve in the area you have mentioned.
Overall I am glad that you had a wonderful time with us and thank you very much for your recommending The Racha. I hope to see you on your next visit with us.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We went there for my birthday, the staff saw it was my bday probably from our papers and the chef delivered a wonderful cake to our room! Also next morning at breakfast, the chef there wished me happy bday and asked how we spent our day. Very attentive staff, wonderful romantic location. The villas are really incredibly beautiful, bathroom view over the golf, room service twice a day, fruit plateau every day, esspreso machine in the villa and a beautiful terace. Looking forward to going back there and highly recommanded!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank annie_m001
Dear Annie M001

Thank you very much for your kind review. Its a pleasure to receive reviews where staffs have been very attentive and great location for honeymoon. Thank you again.

We hope to see you real soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This is the best holiday I had ever spend.
Overall was good. 2 nights not really enough to spend on The Racha. I not even have time to try massage. T_T

Anyway, there were pros and cons.
Pros:
-The staff are friendly and helpful. Always provide warm hospitality. Special thanks to
@The canadian staff is friendly, help us arrange the boat and mini bus xfer for us according to our flight schedule. And give us info about this island.
@The china staff who escorted us to our villa. He teach us how to use the facility in the villa.
@The north thailand girl who escort us to take the speed boat back to phuket island. I Neverthought The Racha will provide such considerate action.
@ The gelato ice cream seller is a friendly person. She advised us not go out from The Racha area after 6pm bcoz there might have snake n monkey come out so better stay inside hotel area. I will never forget about your smile. :-)
@ the speedboat pilot and the assistant who brought us back to phuket island safely. The wave is big that day, I can feel that the pilot had tried his best to avoid the big wave. Thanks :-)
@ Mr Devan (from penang greenland) the GM of The Racha who spend his precious time with us before we leaving The Racha. So happy to meet the "penang lang" there.
(forget all their name just remember country name)
-Every villa even provide all necessary goodies go to beach like mosquito repellent, beach shoe, beach bag, beach towel, torch light and umbrella.
-The beach is clean. too bad I cant see the sunset due to the weather :'(
-The villa is luxury and cozy.
-The infinity swimming pool is great.
-The security is excellent.

Con's
- I suggest prepare some swimming tire or swimming board around the infinity pool. So that ppl like me who cant swim also can enjoy the swimming pool
- I saw a large lizard walk around the villa. I feel that quite scary. Eventhough many ppl said big lizard not attack human.
- should place some hotel room no signboard so that I can easily find my way back to my room.
-for restaurant they doesnt have many choices

I have spend a wonderful holiday here. I still many things to share but I cant recall back. If got chance I wish I can visit The Racha again in future.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Orange O
Devan B, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Orange O

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am glad that you and your friends had a great time with us. I will certainly share your comments with my team

I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Racha Yai
#3 of 34 in Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!