“The real fantastic and luxury resort.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Racha

The Racha
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
Bangkok, Thailand
“The real fantastic and luxury resort.”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I must say that i was impress by the services and the room.
Normally i like to stay outdoor to feel the beach and the sun but in the racha i stayed in the room more than usual as a room is well decorated modern style and i have everything i need there...the services was excellent too!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Devan B, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Ben Court

Thank you very much for your positive comments. You have taken time out from what I'm sure must be a busy day to share your thoughts on TA. Your words are much appreciated and mean a lot to us all at the Racha..

Best regards
Devan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Romantic and exclusive, those were our instructions to our travel planners at Andaman Adventures. We didn’t know Thailand very well ( actually, I feel like we still don’t know Thailand very well – there is sooo much to discover here ) so we told the boys at AA : make it romantic and make it exclusive.
Well ! They really pulled out all the stops here - the Racha makes you feel like prince and princess of a remote, pristine tropical island. Just coming up to the island is a big wow factor. Our villa was just out of this world. I don’t know if our travel agent had something to do with the villa we got, or if they’re all really like this – the missus was speechless when we came in ( and that doesn’t happen often hahhaa ). No flaws to report at all : the staff is so friendly and attentive without getting in the way, the entire grounds are spotless, the meals are a feast, every time. Getting to other destinations from the Racha does involve quite a bit of transferring – but that’s the price we were happy to pay for our splendid isolation. No qualms about recommending this one ! and our travel agency ! Thanks all !

Room Tip: Book in conjunction with some other hotels as an island hop round the Krabi region, with Andaman Adv...
Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jack b
Dear Jack b
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We hope to see you again.
Best regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at The Racha in January for six nights and had an absolutely amazing time. From the moment we stepped off the boat we knew we were on to something special. Our room was spacious and very clean. We had a pool villa with views of the powder white beach and crystal blue water straight out the front of our room. We enjoyed relaxing and just sitting around (the spa was a real treat!) but we also loved doing some of the more adventurous activities as well. We hiked up to the top of the mountain and out to the end of the island. We rode ATVs around, played tennis and went snorkelling right out the front every day. I also went for a Scuba dive which was pretty good (not the best I've done, but worthwhile nevertheless). Yes, the crowds do arrive in large numbers around 10:30-11am but they are mostly gone by about 3pm and you get the beach back for yourself. For the busy part of the day we just locked ourselves in our villa and sunbaked by the pool reading our books. The food in the resort was by far the best on the island. We tried some of the cheaper places in the village, but the food was far superior at the resort - great variety and fresh produce. Did not have one bad story to report for our entire stay. Service, comfort, food and facilities were all 10/10. This place isn't cheap, but if you are looking for a real special place to have a relaxing romantic getaway, then you're on a winner with The Racha. We'll definitely be visiting again.

Room Tip: Ask for room 203 - Pool villa 20 metres from the beach with views from the room and pool. Newer room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ben Court

Thank you very much for your positive comments. You have taken time out from what I'm sure must be a busy day to share your thoughts.. We are glad to see such reviews. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards
Beijing, China
Reviewed February 6, 2014

it is the heaven i've been finding. any comment on the hotel is unnecessary, like what i've seen in the speed boat, uniquely different. I am pretty sure that I will be back some day. But a small reminder, the trip from Phuket to Racha Island will not be comfort in the rainy season, please be ready for you kids when you are on the speed boat.

Room Tip: Try the deluxe grand poor and the light house if you get a 4-6 persons family with you, you will be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Zouzhaoyuan, It makes us very proud to know you had such an enjoyable holiday with us at the Racha. We look forward to welcoming you again one day soon. Kind regards Devan
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Me and my girlfriend went on a honeymoon package for 2 nights and 3 days during our short stay in Thailand.

As we are more city travelers, we decided to give ourselves a break, and go somewhere where we would have a peaceful rest in a small paradise. So I decided to make a suprise to my girlfriend and only tell her where we would be going the day before we left our previous hotel in Thailand.

- Service: Staff was always excellent! staff were delightful and although some couldnt talk good english, we would always come around with a solution and laugh on the process of explanation!

- Value: Can get pricey, but worth every penny!

- Before arrival: we had a private "limo" picking us up from the hotel, had water and fresh towels in the car. As we were early, the driver suggested visiting a jewellery "shop", more like a massive warehouse full of jewellery and souvenirs! very nice indeed! He patiently waited for us, and even suggested a SPA before we headed over to the meeting point. But we didnt want to impose on what could be a boring wait for him;

- Sleep Quality: Slept like a baby! very good bed, a wide choice of pillows for every taste, you just needed to call reception and select a pillow from their "catalog"

- Cleanliness: Very clean, however we did complain to receiption that they did not clean the patio very well, as the couch area outside was full of ants when we moved the pillows, this was rectified the next day, and looked really good; Bathtub/jacuzzi wasn't very clean, but we managed to clean it down with some hot water and a towel. Other than these two points, the room was spotless and very clean! We also chose the Jasmine fragrance, and it really smelled so good!

- Location: A little peace of paradise! However, be aware: between 10am to 3pm there are really a lot of tourists popping in the island through tours, we caught a period with a lot of Chinese. Although I have nothing against them, many of them were straight forward pigs! dont care about other people, and are just there to leave 10Kgs of food trash behind and talk to each other 1km away shouting..... Although the private section was in a higher level of the beach, we went always to another closed off area in front of the Cafe del Mar, less people would gather around there, and at least it was a closed area ON the beach.. We did have some invasions of unwanted rude people taking advantage of the space, however when they were too loudy, we complained and they were chased away!

- Room: we stayed in n. 102 - Grand Delux pool (I highly suggest this room, must be the one with the best views!) If it would be possible, we would of moved the room back to South Africa and make it ours!

- Spa: We had a cooling session of spa as we got a bit of a burn, it was veryyyy refreshing! but not for the heart fainted! you will be wrapped in cold cucumber with mint for 15m! I did a tension relief massage and my girlfriend pedicure and manicure, both of these treatments were excellent!! But very hard to book a good time, maybe to many bookings or not to many therapists.

- Breakfast: Excellent!! good fruit, good selection of general breakfast food. We are a Mediterranean eaters, so we keep it simple.

What we DIDNT enjoy:
- Too many tour boats with people polluting such a great piece of paradise;

- During our checkin we noticed many Chinese families would be carrying many bags with food (????) You going to a 5 star resort with 10kgs of takeaway food? this shouldn't be allowed even. This does have a positive side though, during lunch and dinner time the restaurants were very quiet and became almost private!

- Restaurants didnt have a very nice variety of non-spicy dishes. We dont enjoy spices or hot food, but I was expecting more variety of fresh fish and seafood than what I found. We tried the 3
different restaurants and what we chose was very good.
We also had a private romantic dinner on the beach (this was really nice, but please put mosquito repellent on the legs before going for this dinner!) I would suggest a variety of at least 3/2 dishes on this romantic menu, as you get only a fixed menu, so people that will not eat certain foods, might have a problem.

Would we return?
Most defiantly! But this time, for more days!!!! Our package was only 2 nights.. Next time we go there, we will be looking at staying at least 7 days.. Might sound long, but we work 7 days a week during the year, and sometimes all we need is a little private haven to enjoy what nature has to offer.

I would like to thank the whole Racha team for such a wonderful experience! And will see you soon!

Room Tip: if you can, Grand deluxe pool, room 102! Best views, and with no neighbours!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PedroR8
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 24, 2014

One of the most beautiful small beaches on a tiny island south of Phuket island , so if you have a few extra days to spend in a luxury getaway this might be the place. Crystal clear waters makes swimming awesome.
The hotel design is beautiful - its modern Mediterranean inspired architecture. I have wanted to go here for a long time. The pool on the roof top has a fantastic view. We spent 4 nights here - and 5 full days. It felt like a relaxing long week. The suites are beautiful and modern decorated, we had first a smaller suite and was changed to a pool suite. They are all different and very nice design. Be aware that the villas in front have views and that if you are being located towards the back it's a separate pool and I would not recommend to stay on that side, you miss out the key point which is the beach!
The beach gets crowded by day tourists after 10 am and they leave around 3 pm. Hotel guests can get sun beds above the beach which is free. The beach itself is a public beach and this is what gives this property a 3-4 star, as the local sun bed business is very low end and that the view from the hotel gets cluttered and messy. I don't mind day tourists but I believe the hotel must make a better effort in including the local sun bed business men into a total better experience for all. Should be easy to do, please email me and I will suggest. How it is now is a bad view, on that prime location. The sun bed business have plastic sun beds and multicolored umbrellas, and temporarily made tents and shelters on that million dollar beach front view. To take a beautiful panoramic photo you need to avoid the plastic bags etc. this must be fixed, othervise people don't want to spend those extra dollars for a pristine hideaway, and this is key to be a full 5 star property.
The restaurants are good but need slight better selection of foods,, but not great eating experience. Wine fine, no big selection. We attended a BBQ dinner event, which was fine. When you speak with the chef they are happy to customize and make you happy! Great breakfast omlets and eggs Benedict.. Lovely cocktail get together was also provided by hotel management. Lovely staff.
Tried the spa which is fantastic design, but the therapist not the best. We exercised at the tennis court which was good, tried bikes, that need some maintenance. The dive shop was good, and we went for diving with the team. Good experience with them!
Overall it looks like groups are coming to this place, and that might be a challenge for more individual tourism.
Would I go back here? Maybe, if they clean up that beach. This is a very romantic place, perfect for a wedding I would suggest! Just do rehearsal dinners and plan with the staff, they want to help you and are very sweet! I loved the walks on the beach morning and afternoon. A true paradise, if it's kept well! Great potential for the future, best of luck to the team! :-)

Room Tip: Stay towards the beach side, chose a room with private pool!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Sissel Henriett... L
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked five nights at The Racha in order to relax after a hectic and busy year. I travelled by myself, and although the place attracts a very diverse crowd, both in age, nationality, number of family members, I was one of the few people alone. Given the objective of my stay, this was not a problem at all. I spent most of the days at the highly quiet garden pool, where my towel, umbrella, sun lounger, water spray and a nice (& affordable) lunch was awaiting me every day, had breakfast in the common area and alternated between room service and dinner in one of the restaurants. I also used the small (and somewhat outdated equipment in the) gym, played tennis (staff kind enough to play with me) and used the spa every day. The treatments in the spa are okay, nothing special, and if you want to go for a foot massage, I recommend to use the one on the beach (every day from 9 to 9). Ask for Lou, she is great and one of the better massage I have had in my life. The big downside of the resort is that there is no consistency; one day you find the perfect porridge at breakfast, the next day no porridge to be found, following day the oatmeal is swimming in a bath of milk and the final day you have to cut your porridge. Same with the reception, one day they speak ok'ish English, the following day they kept referring to my husband (?!) in very poor English and the other day one of the non-local managers explains what needs to happen next. I ordered also three times exactly the same lunch, and three times, I got a different one (soup with croutons, soup with bread, soup with croutons and bread and butter). And I can go on. It is nothing major, but not what you expect from a small leading hotel of the world. Please also note, the ride by boat can be really bumpy, even if there is 'just little wind' - take some pills if you get sea-sick easily and the weather is rough. I echo what others are saying re the day-tourists, if you want to avoid them, just use the garden pool or the one upstairs.

Room Tip: The aircon makes a lot of noise - but won't work when you are not in the room, ask for one which...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
#2 of 319 in Patong
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!