Me and my girlfriend went on a honeymoon package for 2 nights and 3 days during our short stay in Thailand.
As we are more city travelers, we decided to give ourselves a break, and go somewhere where we would have a peaceful rest in a small paradise. So I decided to make a suprise to my girlfriend and only tell her where we would be going the day before we left our previous hotel in Thailand.
- Service: Staff was always excellent! staff were delightful and although some couldnt talk good english, we would always come around with a solution and laugh on the process of explanation!
- Value: Can get pricey, but worth every penny!
- Before arrival: we had a private "limo" picking us up from the hotel, had water and fresh towels in the car. As we were early, the driver suggested visiting a jewellery "shop", more like a massive warehouse full of jewellery and souvenirs! very nice indeed! He patiently waited for us, and even suggested a SPA before we headed over to the meeting point. But we didnt want to impose on what could be a boring wait for him;
- Sleep Quality: Slept like a baby! very good bed, a wide choice of pillows for every taste, you just needed to call reception and select a pillow from their "catalog"
- Cleanliness: Very clean, however we did complain to receiption that they did not clean the patio very well, as the couch area outside was full of ants when we moved the pillows, this was rectified the next day, and looked really good; Bathtub/jacuzzi wasn't very clean, but we managed to clean it down with some hot water and a towel. Other than these two points, the room was spotless and very clean! We also chose the Jasmine fragrance, and it really smelled so good!
- Location: A little peace of paradise! However, be aware: between 10am to 3pm there are really a lot of tourists popping in the island through tours, we caught a period with a lot of Chinese. Although I have nothing against them, many of them were straight forward pigs! dont care about other people, and are just there to leave 10Kgs of food trash behind and talk to each other 1km away shouting..... Although the private section was in a higher level of the beach, we went always to another closed off area in front of the Cafe del Mar, less people would gather around there, and at least it was a closed area ON the beach.. We did have some invasions of unwanted rude people taking advantage of the space, however when they were too loudy, we complained and they were chased away!
- Room: we stayed in n. 102 - Grand Delux pool (I highly suggest this room, must be the one with the best views!) If it would be possible, we would of moved the room back to South Africa and make it ours!
- Spa: We had a cooling session of spa as we got a bit of a burn, it was veryyyy refreshing! but not for the heart fainted! you will be wrapped in cold cucumber with mint for 15m! I did a tension relief massage and my girlfriend pedicure and manicure, both of these treatments were excellent!! But very hard to book a good time, maybe to many bookings or not to many therapists.
- Breakfast: Excellent!! good fruit, good selection of general breakfast food. We are a Mediterranean eaters, so we keep it simple.
What we DIDNT enjoy:
- Too many tour boats with people polluting such a great piece of paradise;
- During our checkin we noticed many Chinese families would be carrying many bags with food (????) You going to a 5 star resort with 10kgs of takeaway food? this shouldn't be allowed even. This does have a positive side though, during lunch and dinner time the restaurants were very quiet and became almost private!
- Restaurants didnt have a very nice variety of non-spicy dishes. We dont enjoy spices or hot food, but I was expecting more variety of fresh fish and seafood than what I found. We tried the 3
different restaurants and what we chose was very good.
We also had a private romantic dinner on the beach (this was really nice, but please put mosquito repellent on the legs before going for this dinner!) I would suggest a variety of at least 3/2 dishes on this romantic menu, as you get only a fixed menu, so people that will not eat certain foods, might have a problem.
Would we return?
Most defiantly! But this time, for more days!!!! Our package was only 2 nights.. Next time we go there, we will be looking at staying at least 7 days.. Might sound long, but we work 7 days a week during the year, and sometimes all we need is a little private haven to enjoy what nature has to offer.
I would like to thank the whole Racha team for such a wonderful experience! And will see you soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the world’s most stunning destinations can be found 12 nautical miles south of Phuket, on the Andaman island of Racha Yai. An expansive white-sand crescent bay with azure crystal waters creates the postcard-perfect backdrop for The Racha. Recently voted The Best Island Resort in South East Asia*, The Racha offers a truly amazing experience in a magical setting. With eco-chic luxury living, guests choose to ‘get-way from-it-all’ without taking anything away from the environment. Spread over 20 acres of verdant tropical grounds and built in low-rise harmony with the environment, 85 villas of eight category types provide for every creature comfort. The resort offers some of the best snorkelling in Thailand and has its own 5-Star PADI Dive Centre offering a variety of dive trips and courses, and a purpose-built instructional pool for beginners. The three ozone-treated swimming pools with underwater music offer plenty of options to chill and relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Racha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Racha Hotel Ko Racha Yai
- Racha Hotel Yai Island
- Racha Yai Island
- Racha Phuket
- The Racha Ko Racha Yai, Phuket, Thailand