“A little haven (After all the tourists leave =)”
Review of The Racha

The Racha
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Me and my girlfriend went on a honeymoon package for 2 nights and 3 days during our short stay in Thailand.

As we are more city travelers, we decided to give ourselves a break, and go somewhere where we would have a peaceful rest in a small paradise. So I decided to make a suprise to my girlfriend and only tell her where we would be going the day before we left our previous hotel in Thailand.

- Service: Staff was always excellent! staff were delightful and although some couldnt talk good english, we would always come around with a solution and laugh on the process of explanation!

- Value: Can get pricey, but worth every penny!

- Before arrival: we had a private "limo" picking us up from the hotel, had water and fresh towels in the car. As we were early, the driver suggested visiting a jewellery "shop", more like a massive warehouse full of jewellery and souvenirs! very nice indeed! He patiently waited for us, and even suggested a SPA before we headed over to the meeting point. But we didnt want to impose on what could be a boring wait for him;

- Sleep Quality: Slept like a baby! very good bed, a wide choice of pillows for every taste, you just needed to call reception and select a pillow from their "catalog"

- Cleanliness: Very clean, however we did complain to receiption that they did not clean the patio very well, as the couch area outside was full of ants when we moved the pillows, this was rectified the next day, and looked really good; Bathtub/jacuzzi wasn't very clean, but we managed to clean it down with some hot water and a towel. Other than these two points, the room was spotless and very clean! We also chose the Jasmine fragrance, and it really smelled so good!

- Location: A little peace of paradise! However, be aware: between 10am to 3pm there are really a lot of tourists popping in the island through tours, we caught a period with a lot of Chinese. Although I have nothing against them, many of them were straight forward pigs! dont care about other people, and are just there to leave 10Kgs of food trash behind and talk to each other 1km away shouting..... Although the private section was in a higher level of the beach, we went always to another closed off area in front of the Cafe del Mar, less people would gather around there, and at least it was a closed area ON the beach.. We did have some invasions of unwanted rude people taking advantage of the space, however when they were too loudy, we complained and they were chased away!

- Room: we stayed in n. 102 - Grand Delux pool (I highly suggest this room, must be the one with the best views!) If it would be possible, we would of moved the room back to South Africa and make it ours!

- Spa: We had a cooling session of spa as we got a bit of a burn, it was veryyyy refreshing! but not for the heart fainted! you will be wrapped in cold cucumber with mint for 15m! I did a tension relief massage and my girlfriend pedicure and manicure, both of these treatments were excellent!! But very hard to book a good time, maybe to many bookings or not to many therapists.

- Breakfast: Excellent!! good fruit, good selection of general breakfast food. We are a Mediterranean eaters, so we keep it simple.

What we DIDNT enjoy:
- Too many tour boats with people polluting such a great piece of paradise;

- During our checkin we noticed many Chinese families would be carrying many bags with food (????) You going to a 5 star resort with 10kgs of takeaway food? this shouldn't be allowed even. This does have a positive side though, during lunch and dinner time the restaurants were very quiet and became almost private!

- Restaurants didnt have a very nice variety of non-spicy dishes. We dont enjoy spices or hot food, but I was expecting more variety of fresh fish and seafood than what I found. We tried the 3
different restaurants and what we chose was very good.
We also had a private romantic dinner on the beach (this was really nice, but please put mosquito repellent on the legs before going for this dinner!) I would suggest a variety of at least 3/2 dishes on this romantic menu, as you get only a fixed menu, so people that will not eat certain foods, might have a problem.

Would we return?
Most defiantly! But this time, for more days!!!! Our package was only 2 nights.. Next time we go there, we will be looking at staying at least 7 days.. Might sound long, but we work 7 days a week during the year, and sometimes all we need is a little private haven to enjoy what nature has to offer.

I would like to thank the whole Racha team for such a wonderful experience! And will see you soon!

Room Tip: if you can, Grand deluxe pool, room 102! Best views, and with no neighbours!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PedroR8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

One of the most beautiful small beaches on a tiny island south of Phuket island , so if you have a few extra days to spend in a luxury getaway this might be the place. Crystal clear waters makes swimming awesome.
The hotel design is beautiful - its modern Mediterranean inspired architecture. I have wanted to go here for a long time. The pool on the roof top has a fantastic view. We spent 4 nights here - and 5 full days. It felt like a relaxing long week. The suites are beautiful and modern decorated, we had first a smaller suite and was changed to a pool suite. They are all different and very nice design. Be aware that the villas in front have views and that if you are being located towards the back it's a separate pool and I would not recommend to stay on that side, you miss out the key point which is the beach!
The beach gets crowded by day tourists after 10 am and they leave around 3 pm. Hotel guests can get sun beds above the beach which is free. The beach itself is a public beach and this is what gives this property a 3-4 star, as the local sun bed business is very low end and that the view from the hotel gets cluttered and messy. I don't mind day tourists but I believe the hotel must make a better effort in including the local sun bed business men into a total better experience for all. Should be easy to do, please email me and I will suggest. How it is now is a bad view, on that prime location. The sun bed business have plastic sun beds and multicolored umbrellas, and temporarily made tents and shelters on that million dollar beach front view. To take a beautiful panoramic photo you need to avoid the plastic bags etc. this must be fixed, othervise people don't want to spend those extra dollars for a pristine hideaway, and this is key to be a full 5 star property.
The restaurants are good but need slight better selection of foods,, but not great eating experience. Wine fine, no big selection. We attended a BBQ dinner event, which was fine. When you speak with the chef they are happy to customize and make you happy! Great breakfast omlets and eggs Benedict.. Lovely cocktail get together was also provided by hotel management. Lovely staff.
Tried the spa which is fantastic design, but the therapist not the best. We exercised at the tennis court which was good, tried bikes, that need some maintenance. The dive shop was good, and we went for diving with the team. Good experience with them!
Overall it looks like groups are coming to this place, and that might be a challenge for more individual tourism.
Would I go back here? Maybe, if they clean up that beach. This is a very romantic place, perfect for a wedding I would suggest! Just do rehearsal dinners and plan with the staff, they want to help you and are very sweet! I loved the walks on the beach morning and afternoon. A true paradise, if it's kept well! Great potential for the future, best of luck to the team! :-)

Room Tip: Stay towards the beach side, chose a room with private pool!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Sissel Henriett... L
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked five nights at The Racha in order to relax after a hectic and busy year. I travelled by myself, and although the place attracts a very diverse crowd, both in age, nationality, number of family members, I was one of the few people alone. Given the objective of my stay, this was not a problem at all. I spent most of the days at the highly quiet garden pool, where my towel, umbrella, sun lounger, water spray and a nice (& affordable) lunch was awaiting me every day, had breakfast in the common area and alternated between room service and dinner in one of the restaurants. I also used the small (and somewhat outdated equipment in the) gym, played tennis (staff kind enough to play with me) and used the spa every day. The treatments in the spa are okay, nothing special, and if you want to go for a foot massage, I recommend to use the one on the beach (every day from 9 to 9). Ask for Lou, she is great and one of the better massage I have had in my life. The big downside of the resort is that there is no consistency; one day you find the perfect porridge at breakfast, the next day no porridge to be found, following day the oatmeal is swimming in a bath of milk and the final day you have to cut your porridge. Same with the reception, one day they speak ok'ish English, the following day they kept referring to my husband (?!) in very poor English and the other day one of the non-local managers explains what needs to happen next. I ordered also three times exactly the same lunch, and three times, I got a different one (soup with croutons, soup with bread, soup with croutons and bread and butter). And I can go on. It is nothing major, but not what you expect from a small leading hotel of the world. Please also note, the ride by boat can be really bumpy, even if there is 'just little wind' - take some pills if you get sea-sick easily and the weather is rough. I echo what others are saying re the day-tourists, if you want to avoid them, just use the garden pool or the one upstairs.

Room Tip: The aircon makes a lot of noise - but won't work when you are not in the room, ask for one which...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank SimoneCEV
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel is fantastic, the facilities are amazing, the service is very good and the food is pricey but totally worth the price. The location is the most beautiful you can find around this area, however, they have a major challenge and this is the large amount of tourists and boats that come to the bay as day trippers. The beach really looks crowded and dirty with too many Chinese/Russian tourists and the swimming/snorkeling is almost impossible to do, because you are afraid the boats are going to chop your head off. So if what you like is going to the beach and relaxing this is not the hotel for you...you might as well go before 10am or after 3pm when tourists are not there or stick to the pools.
Other than that, is paradise on earth!

Room Tip: Deluxe villa will do, they are actually quite amazing!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was the top resort of the 3 booked for us by Andaman Sky which together made for a really marvelous holiday, so nice to see a bit of the region rather than get stuck in 1 place for 2 weeks. The food was great, the location is really breath-taking and was the prettiest place we went to. Thanks to the hotel staff for a great stay and to Andaman Sky for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Book as part of an Andaman Adventures island tour
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Racha was a very good resort but the I would not go back with a large amount of family members. The room was very nice but occasionally there were some tiny little fleas and ants crawling around the room. Some of the staff where very friendly but at meals, they would just stand around and at times it made eating a little awkward and not as enjoyable. The spa rates are amazing and my family and I went almost everyday! One thing that I liked was that they had tsunami evacuation route signes so us as guests, know that if there is something like this that happens, we are prepared. The biggest let down was that the resort beach was public and everyday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, lots of "daytrippers" would come and use the beach and that was not very relaxing or private. My family and I stayed in a villa with a pool (villa 203) and most of the time, we just spent our day staying in our backyard, swimming and lounging by the pool. By the way, they give you a menu that you can choose what type of pillow you want. The food was very good (i.e. pad thai or pad siew) but we mainly ate dinner in our room and breakfast in the cafe (breakfast buffet was average). My mother had contacted the hotel a number of times to let them know that it was a special occasion and when we got there and throughout the entire week, absolutely nothing was done to acknowledge this. Also, the general manager was not to be seen which should not be the case in a resort of this calibre. Overall, this trip was great and I really enjoyed our 5 days there but compared to the other places I have stayed, this is not on my top places to go back to.

Room Tip: "Rooms with a private pool are sunny from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm" "Go to the beach afte...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014

5 days was just too short! We had a fantastic stay at The Racha and the GM, Gerald made sure our needs were well taken care of. We had a pool villa and the location was perfect. Near enough to the beach and to the main dining restaurant.

Service was impeccable, the staff were friendly and attentive. The gym was well equipped! (yes we work out while on holiday) Since we were there for four nights, we tried out every restaurant at The Racha and the Mod European one just above the main dining restaurant had really good food. Pity the restaurant was so empty.

The only drawback was that the beautiful beach was always so crowded after tenAM. We averted that problem by hitting the beach at 830AM though.

Overall, a beautiful private resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!