Beautiful place in an idealic setting for sure. To get to the stuff people will want to read - 2 main issues:
1) Service - very few of the staff speak passable English. Tony was the glue holding the resort together - and he was truely amazing and somehow seems to be able to build a personal connection with many of the guests. Without him - the service side of the hotel would collapse.
2) Chinese day tours - from 11am - 2:30/3ish - the beach is flooded with random tour groups of chinese. It kind of defeats the purpose of driving for an hour and taking a 45 minute speedboat since you will still get flooded with tourists on your quiet island holiday. Worse in my view is it also means a bunch of old beaten-up old umbrellas and beach chairs are constantly piled up on the beach - which cheapens the entire feel of the beach. If it was my resort - I'd try to consider something to combat these guys bringing tours over.. or at least flood the beach with high-end chairs/umbrellas and let people use them for free (ie cut down the tour group's margins?). At least that way you can preserve the beauty of the beach a bit? Not a fun issue to have for the hotel - feel sorry for them on this issue as I'm not sure it will be possible for them to correct.
Everything else at the hotel was just lovely - and my girlfriend and I really enjoyed our time there. The room was beautiful (stayed at the Grand Pool Suite) and we would just retreat to our room while the chinese attacked the beach. They also organized a great birthday dinner for me (again - thanks to Tony) where they went above and beyond by organizing it on the roof so we could have some privacy, brought the band up to play for us, and even released a sky lantern for my birthday wish - a very beauiful experience.
Perhaps I should say this again just to be clear - Tony is the man over there - and completely saved the experience for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 12 miles south of Phuket on Racha Yai island, The Racha is Thailand's premier deluxe island hideaway. Set on a pristine white-powdery beach and surrounded by the dazzling turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea, this five star resort features 70 stylish villas offering the ultimate in luxurious comfort, from private pool villas with underwater music, to a very unique 5-storey Lighthouse Pool Villa with an observation deck offering panoramic views around the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Jetsetter and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Racha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Racha Hotel Ko Racha Yai
- Racha Hotel Yai Island
- Racha Yai Island
- Racha Phuket
- The Racha Ko Racha Yai, Phuket, Thailand