“The Racha Experience”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
Bangkok
“The Racha Experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Racha, it's Thai word for King, and the experience lives up to her name. Woke up every morning in her lush rooms, opened them wide doors and there a full blown spectacle of layered ocean blue. The waves as they grew tall approaching the satin shores, into a concave wall of cyan blue so clear I saw. It was painting in motion, a canvas of saturated colors. The hue of blue permeated through me. And the breeze, enveloped me she did, ever reverberating, ever present. The morning sun, her slight tint of yellow reflected off all the white villas, the skies clear, saw for miles. The emotion came natural, a surreal feel of vacation can't describe in words. It was the place, the time, the setting so right. Paradise.

7 years ago I was here. Her beach ridden with dead coral bits from the tsunami back then had grinded down into the finest white powdered sand my feet had ever walked. Clean, white, gentle wide shoreline enclosed in a pleasant bay we played. Waddled through receding waters after the waves broke shore, the easy incline made the retreat a prolong episode as the water thins out. My foot sank, in fine white they were embraced. My mind was just overcharged with the experience that there was nothing else that could pollute my thoughts. It was relaxation pure, there weren't a hint of work that could breach that sphere of peace I got. Unwind.

Getting to this resort required a boat ride from Chalong pier. Getting to the pier from the airport was a hefty 800 Baht ride by airport limousine. Save yourself the trouble of hunting for a metered taxi, they may cost more and you may end up somewhere you may not want in the hands of illegal touts. Anyway the sign boards announce loud the standard pricing from the airport to the various destinations on Phuket, so pay attention to those and you shall be safe. These months, the rain should have stopped. But climate change in our lifetime made the weather unpredictable. Storm clouds built and bleak the sunny shores, the gust churned the blue oceans into choppy peaks. The ride was a roller coaster, don't eat too much before the 45 minutes journey thus. Voices heard, the trip provided by The Racha costly. But had you research and then you will appreciate the ride offered by the resort in her twin outboard private boats. Public operators charges the same to the island, but I bet they do not offer the same appeasing ride The Racha could. Large and spacious her boats were, this trip for me, laden with only less than 10 passengers on her two craft convey. Yeah, they could well have packed us up like sardines using only one boat, but that's the practice of other boat operators and not The Racha.

As the late morning approached, like crabs on a migratory journey on Christmas Island, we saw hordes of day trippers marched and descended the slope side of the resort making their way onto the shore for whatever mating and spawning fantasy they had on their minds. Not too pleasant the experience as we had to share the secluded shores with them sometimes rather rowdy and rude crowd. They mingled and tried to breach the resort grounds, security was busy explaining to them the notion of private grounds. A mix of people from all corners of the world. Certain cultural are born with over reactive salivating glands, and this particular flock walked and spew phlegm everywhere. Could be an inherited genetic defect. Some crowds were however well behaved and I was really impressed with them. There was a cheery bunch that looked like they came out of Pirates of the Caribbean. The Pirate Lord of the Indian Ocean and his crew actually carried with them plastic bags which they collected the beer cans after they had gulp its merry making contents down. They left the beach in the late afternoon leaving no trace of their visit.

Beyond 10 am, the beach will be a bustle of activities. Those hours left me flabbergasted at times at the sight of super bright luminous bikini swimwear the Asian ladies wore. They imitated all possible grace from b-grade magazines while the shutters clicked away. Bright colors in nature are actually warning signs to other predators that consuming them would be a bad idea because of poison, so those ladies were safe and were not eaten by sharks. The crowd merged into the rows of beach umbrellas and chairs on the left section of the bay. Those were rented out by independent operators who forcefully infiltrated the grounds desiring a piece of the profit pie. I do hope they do not grow beyond the rows of 2 which was already poisoning the tranquility and turning that corner into mini Pattaya. I was told during peak season, there could be up to 4 rows and that was disheartening.

Depending on the season, the waters in the bay will be a calm or choppy. This month of August, strong waves rolled in synch with seasonal winds that blew onshore. Snorkeling is not possible without smacking into rock formations or guzzling down salt water. But it offered a chance for many to try mini surfing, boards rented out again by independent operators who built an unsightly shack in the middle of the otherwise un-spoilt shorelines. Staff of the resort told me, during year end this part of the island will be flat calm as the wind blows on the other side of Koh Racha. However, during those good times, The Racha will have to move her floating jetty over. The jetty then becomes a platform for the day trippers to beach as well, the bay will an infestation of moored boats. Snorkeling could mean smacking into hulls of boats and guzzling down diesel fumes if you venture out carelessly.

The serenity returned later in the afternoon past 3 pm. The day trippers migrated back up the hill to the other side of the island where The Racha's floating jetty was located. When the last of the day trippers had left, The Racha deployed their band of beach cleansers cleansing up the entire shoreline. Such noble greatness The Racha, to keep the beach pristine and to clean up the carnage left by others. The beach belongs to the government, it is not private and deeply I wished it could be. We had to share her splendor for those few hours. Fortunately for us, we had the advantage to retreat back into the resort where her amnesties plenty whenever we needed.

The main pool overlooked the beach with her high construction above the diner. On the infinity edge we were and chatted. On occasions the sea breeze strong it grew and the water flipped unnaturally upwards into a spray of misty droplets that soared over our heads. A lap or two we sometimes did but most of the time we just lazed and sipped coffee or that gin tonic ordered we did. Other days we were in her garden pool that was adorned with tall trees that swayed gracefully in the wind. At times the sky grew dark and the rain fell heavy but that did not douse our spirits. What was different from 7 years ago was that now The Racha featured a third pool at the foot of a hill fringing the resort grounds. It was tastefully christened Club Del Mare and the food offered was equally tasteful. Meals offered were reasonably priced in tune with the portion, extremely good service and the exquisite settings. With many pools also means the chance for one to hide effectively should one need a break from babbling wives, she will take at least an hour to find you. And if you are lucky, the sun would be out and that could successfully drive her back into the villa leaving you in peace for the rest of the day.

With any tropical island resort means the possibility of a million bites from mozzies and sand flies. Amazingly, somehow the resort had this under control. Unlike other beach destinations we went, we do not need to drink insect repellent and have it ooze out our sweat pores just to potently prevent them bites. Giant monitor lizards occasionally stroll the resort grounds so in case you need an adrenaline rush, you could try capturing one and wrestle with them fun creatures. If you are a cat lover like me, there are aplenty of them that originate from a restaurant of classic wooden built nested at the foot of a hill on the right side of the bay. These island born cats accompanied the guest sometimes as they strolled the beach and I was tempted to test out if cats could surf. I was also surprised at the sight of a mountain goat that made its way every day to the small rocky outcrop above the water in front of Club Del Mare. There it lazed staring at us people, wondering if them bright bikini ladies will be consumed by sharks. Goat shared the view with me as I gazed into the horizon looking for signs of fin.

Other than additional amenities, nothing had changed compared to the first time I was here. Still The Racha maintained her captivating essence and her villas had not deteriorated from fine mist of the sea. Maintenance crew could sometimes be seen retouching the walls showcasing the ongoing effort management had put in to upkeep The Racha's charm. This will not be the last time I will be here. I had travelled 9 years to cover most shores in Thailand. I cannot find elsewhere luxury strategically located in front of a sheltered mesmerizing shore, the fine white sands that embraced me, they crystalline waters of the Andaman. I was living in a painting for those 4 days. The beauty of which I had captured forever as I did my pre-wedding photography session within. I did not protest the sum when my card was swiped because I knew it was going in for a good cause. We all should appreciate the effort it takes The Racha to maintain the sparkle of her environment even though it is not under her control. The results of which are for us to fully immerse, body and soul, and sink into the enchanted vista as one. Not many places here can balance the comfort offered by manmade infrastructures and the pureness of immaculate nature. The Racha, her amazing management did.

Room Tip: Upgrade yourself to a room by the ocean and enjoy the splendor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kings L
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear J404,

Thank you so much for writing us an incredible review.

We were happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us again. We truly appreciate your wonderful comments and will share these great words of encouragement with our staff.

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and we look forward to being of service to you again when you next return to your paradise.

Gerard Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Loving it! We got a spa pool suite... great place. Good food, nice beach, and wonderful service! A great experience for the whole family. We swam in the water full of fish. And relaxed in the mini pool in our suite. Plus the people there were nice and offered the best there was. Their sport activities were very fun and exciting! You'll never forget this place!

Stayed August 2013
Dear FluffyUnicorns1010,

We are delighted to hear you had a great stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback. I have already passed your compliments to the respective teams.

It had been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you at The Racha again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The trip started with the boat ride there, provided for by the hotel itself on their own speed boats. Ironically, this was perhaps the only negative part of the whole Racha experience in that the ride was especially choppy and rather lengthy (45-50 mins). A suggestion here would be for the hotel to give prior warning to its patrons of thispotentially sick-inducing ride that is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Quite apart from the initial travails of reaching the hotel, the accomodation itself was especially luxurious and comfortable. We had reserved 2 villas, one a spa suite for 2 with a semi-enclosed spa pool and one bedroom, and the other a 2 bedroom villa with an eternity pool and spacious living area. The rooms were roomy and beautifully furnished with modern decor and state of the art entertainment systems. The eternity pool, a portion of which contains an in-built jacuzzi, looks out onto the beach and is perfect for a casual day of swimming, sunbathing or just relaxation in general. The bathrooms of the master bedrooms also each had a jacuzzi in them.\

The food during your stay is more or less limited to that provided in the restuarants located within the hotel premises. Despite this, these seemingly limited locations do manage to afford a decent variety of food, all of which are of a high quality. Most nights of the week see the restaurants offering various cuisines, with their BBQ buffet night being the most memorable. The regular menu at the Earth Cafe will not disappoint either, should you be looking to enjoy regular thai curries and dishes.

The hospitality was impeccable. The service staff was especially warm and friendly. The general manager took time off to show us around the island. The rooms were immaculately made up on time and in proper fashion. The service staff at the restaurants were friendly and the service was good.

The activities on the island itself were limited, but this was mostly due to the very fact of the island's isolation from the phuket mainland. There is no shopping or any real nightlife to be had on the island, with the exception of the hotel's bar. Nevertheless, we did take a tour of the island on ATVs, which was at least a moderately interesting adventure and experience, if not breathtakingly scenic.

I would definitely recommend The Racha (both the hotel and the island) to couples and families looking for a short-stay island getaway as a reprieve and contrast to the intensity everyday urban existence.

Room Tip: The villas that have a sea view are absolutely beautiful
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank darylf14
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear darylf14,

Thank you very much. It is certainly wonderful to read your genuine and thorough feedback. We appreciate your kind words about our property, service, staff and we have noted your comment regarding the boat ride.

It has been our privilege to serve you and we look forward to your next visit.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 8, 2013

For five nights last week, Villa 1201, a two-bedroom grand pool suite was our home. And what a residence it was! Gorgeous interior, lots of pillows, sun soaked pool and ahh... the views!

Some mornings we woke up to heavy downpours with dramatic scenes of waves crashing into the shore yonder at Batok Bay. Other days, we were treated to the sound of birds chirping and sunbeams dancing off our infinity pool that stretched the length of our villa. Simply magic!

Though the years, we’ve stayed in all categories of Racha Villas, with the exception of the Deluxe Villa and The Lighthouse. The theme throughout is minimalist, beautifully laid-out (and thought-out) accommodations. You’ll find a glorious outdoor shower (in addition to the indoor tub and shower) in all the villas. All villas also have their private desks (with garden or sea views). Regardless, we’ve cherished our stays in all our different villas! My wife loved that the tree frog soft toy (which doubles as a ‘do not disturb’ sign and the aromatherapy burners (with our favorite scent) are still a regular feature!

Guest mix was rather different this time round. From a Phuket magazine I realized that China and Russian tourists make up the bulk to tourist arrivals in Phuket. In this perfect little island, it was no different. At the Management Cocktails, I ‘chatted’ with a few China guests and to my delight, found them ever so sweet. As Tony the F&B Manager told me earlier “ the China Guests are just so appreciative and expressive of everything. If it’s raining, they are still enjoying their moment on the beach. They live life to the fullest”. Wise-words Tony and I thank you for that reminder!

The Earth Cafe where breakfast is usually served was being renovated so temporary stations were set up at the Fire Grill. Because of this, breakfast service wasn’t as smooth as usual. But I’m sure it will get back to normal once the ‘refresh’ is complete.

Last year in August there were hardly any day tippers in front of Batok Bay. Last week they came and left in their hundreds from 11am to 3pm only. The rest of the time (and in my opinion, the best time of the day), the stretch of white soft coral sand is yours! I later found out that The Racha now employs two staff just to clean the beach all day. No wonder (and thankfully) I didn’t find any trash on my favorite beach in the world!

Snorkeling was great, as usual, at Ter Bay. This trip, Khun Bas from The Watersports Center took us also to Lay Bay which was spectacular. Should you want to find a quiet beach when the day trippers descend on the island, simply take the ATVs or complimentary mountain bikes out to Siam Bay or Lah Bay. Often, you’ll be the only ones there.

Remember, The Racha owns 20 acres of manicured grounds that are accessible only to their guests. There’s always 3 huge ozonated pools, billiard tables, tennis courts, an amazing Spa and shop, a vast in-room movie library, organized guest activities (and so much more) to keep you busy throughout the day (and night!).

On the way home, from Chalong Pier, we were given the service of Racha Driver Khun Dex and the new Racha VW Caravelle van. Wife really liked that we could pack our shopping, change our clothes from our stop at Central Festival Mall on route to the airport! Loved that the van was fitted with the very latest gadgets too.

Again to Daniel, Gerard, Khun Joy and Khun Gluay (from Anumba Spa), Tony and everyone at The Racha, many, many thanks for a serene and sublime six days. Thank you for sharing paradise on earth with us and we cannot wait to return again soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AlohaTrave1er
Dear AlohaTrave1er,

It is a great pleasure for my team and me to know that you had a pleasant stay with us again. We were so happy to hear “the magic’s still here!”.

Thank you for sharing your genuine and thorough feedback. We appreciate your kind words about our property, service and staff.

It has been our joy to serve you again and we look forward to your next visit to The Racha soon.

Singapore
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is my fourth visit to The Racha over the last 4 years and I would have to say I have visited over the 4 seasons as described in the title of my review. I come from Singapore where we only know one season i.e. summer. But for me I have stayed at this resort in the months normally ascribed to the 4 seasons in the northern hemisphere.

I came here this time to relax. No ATVs, no hiking, no tennis, no snorkelling, no kayaking and no kite flying. I had a wonderful 2 hour massage at the Anumba Spa, great meals, great conversations and generally peace and quiet in the comfort of my Pool Suite. If you came here to write it will all come out because your Muse would also have the comfort I described.

Gerrad Tan, the GM of The Racha, was at his usual efficient self with the staff and with the guests. You could literally get straight to the point when the GM is always within shouting distance. He ran a very disciplined team and you could just sense it. My wish was for Khun Daniel to be here while I was here. We would have lots to talk about without sweating because there is ample shelter all around in this very sun kissed island.

I came here together with my wife. It was the first time we would be coming here as a couple. We came with family and extended family the last 3 times. It was always something to write and talk about because this is an exceptional resort. A beautiful bay with water so clear you could be writing on the surface like a computer tablet.

I am thinking again about bringing my immediate family and possibly my entire company from Singapore. Its going to be great family time and great bonding time as well, costs notwithstanding.

My wish is for The Racha to continue to attract visitors and stayers. It just has all the right ingredients but you would do well to come in November to May. August and September and right up to October can be choppy days in the water.

And to complete Carole King's line - All you have to do is call.

Room Tip: Ask for the Junior Pool Suite if its available.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CiviCSingapore,

Your review was an absolute pleasure to read! The detail of your positive comments about our property and service is very much appreciated by our entire team. You touch on the very things we continue to work at so we can excel. We are glad our efforts are paying off. Thank you very much.

It has been our joy to serve you. Thank you for such a wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you at The Racha again soon.

Beijing, China
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family spent a fantastic holiday in The Racha, I'm deeply impressed by the beautiful view of the island and the warm service from hotel staff. Thank you! Especially great thanks to the staff in canteen where we have breakfast. My son had a fever and cannot eat while we stayed, the restrand help to provide ricesoup as our request, it's helpful for the recovery of the boy.

something can be improved
1. The transportation with Phuket island can be more convenient and frequent,with more reasonable price

2. The restaurant in hotel can proved more Thai food

3. The air-condition is noisy during the night

I will come to the Racha again and recommended to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Yan Z
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Yan Z,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit to The Racha.

It is certainly wonderful to know that you were pleased with our beautiful location, and that you were well taken care of by our friendly staff. This will bring delight to all of them.

We have taken note on your comments regarding the transportation, the Thai food and the air-conditioning. Continued patronage and suggestions from valued guests like your good self are a vital part of our growth and prosperity, and for that, we are most grateful.

It has been our privilege to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Racha again soon.

UK
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Racha for 3 nights. We were efficiently checked in at the Office on Chalong Pier, and transferred by speedboat from the main island at a cost of almost 30 USD one-way. This price seemed a little steep, and should IMO have been included/incorporate in the room rate. However, the service was seemless and efficient, and we arrived about 1 hour later at the pristine resort. The resort itself has a beautiful location on the beach (which is public - see other reviews for pitfalls) with a clean and minimalist feel (including the rooms) and the usual inclusive 5 star facilities, including two lovely swimming pools (a garden and infinity pool). We used the Spa, which was excellent and seemed very good value with seasonal discounts, as well as the well-equipped (free) Gym. The room itself (we stayed in the basic deluxe room) was clean and well serviced. There was a lovely outdoor showering area and room to dry clothes. Wifi access was excellent and there was a Bose iPod dock and video on demand service, which had a number of good films. The restaurants were of a high standard, with polite and attentive staff, although the food itself (including breakfast) was nothing spectacular. We were well looked after by Tony from the Philippines, who was exceptionally kind and helpful. This resort is a relaxing retreat, and can be highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Star_Sitar,

We are delighted to hear you had a relaxing stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback. I have already passed your compliments to the respective teams.

It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you at The Racha again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Racha Yai
#3 of 34 in Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!