“Gorgeous stay at paradise”
Review of The Racha

The Racha
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
Australia
“Gorgeous stay at paradise”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Our initial pleasant greet and check in at the Racha lounge in Phuket was very much soured by an Asian couples child who they ignored and allowed to yell, run around, eat copious lollies and disrupt all other guests in the lounge. It was appalling parenting which was not the fault of the Racha staff but they should have said something to the patents. My husband and I gave the child more than disapproving looks on several occasions to which he responded but only momentarily. To top it off this family also held up the rest of the guests whilst they argued whether their boat and taxi were included or not for over half an hour. Not particularly restful start.

Our initial meet and greet at the resort post bumpy but quick boat ride was lovely. Jo made us feel at home instantly showing us our room. The room was lovely with a view of the bay and fresh fruit was laid out for us. The indoor shower was a little mouldy in the bottom corners which I wouldn't have expected given the price we paid but we ended up using the outdoor shower mostly as it had a better shower head and pressure. The pillow menu whilst limited had what we wanted.

The beach is beautiful, however the rubbish does let it down despite daily cleaning - a reflection unfortunately of a lot Thai islands these days - nothing as idyllic as places were over 10 years ago. Not the fault of the racha at all - more the fault of day trippers and also some guests of the resort who we watched leave rubbish behind and walk back to their rooms rather than place it in the bin that they had to pass to get there.

The three pools are amazing with music piped underwater making for great relaxation whilst floating. We never felt crowded within the resort complex and in fact had the pool with the waterfall the whole day all to ourselves! We figured everyone was at the beach or the infinity pool overlooking the beach but it was fantastic as there were no screaming kids to contend with.

They have set up a dive shop which is understaffed (one poor guy that has to do everything) and don't have a boat of their own so you have to pay extortionate amount to get to racha noi - we could dive with another operator on the island without a boat charge at all!

The food was fantastic for the most part, good portions but expensive in comparison to Thai food elsewhere of similar calibre, the western food was on par with prices in Australia and the quality of the flambé lamb was exceptional!!!! My chicken burger i ordered whilst by the pool at club del mar one day was raw in one section and although I got an apology nothing else was offered (still had to pay full price) I didn't complain much about it other than pointing it out and perhaps I should have but I would have thought my pointing it out would have been enough indication that it should be a free item as it put me off the rest of the burger (my husband finished it for me but we obviously cut out the raw bit)
But most of all you MUST do the romantic dinner on the star deck but I highly advise you skip lunch that day as there was sooooo much food and each course was divine!!!!!! Just amazing in terms of view, food, service - ticked all the boxes!

The staff were all great, attentive, friendly and although some had limited English they all did their best and got everything right for us.

I would highly recommend this resort and hope that we can return again in the near future!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear NMR13,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Racha.

We are extremely pleased you had a “gorgeous stay” with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed your romantic dinner on the star deck and found our flambé lamb exceptional. We greatly appreciate your kind comments about our hardworking staff. Your words of encouragement will certainly bring a smile to their faces. Jo in particular will be thrilled to hear from you.

We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate incidents involving a crying kid during pre check-in, the indoor shower, and the chicken burger. We have thoroughly addressed these issues with the departments concerned and corrective action has been taken to ensure such occurrences don’t happen again. Regarding your comment about our dive center, you were right in pointing out that we need more manpower in this department. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. Fortunately, we have rectified this problem and we will soon have more staff to assist our guests who are into scuba diving.

Again, we truly appreciate your honest feedback. It has been our joy to serve you. Thank you so much for recommending us and we look forward to your return.

Gerard Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Narooma, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We loved our stay (with my sister from Germany) 9 days. The service was excellent. We only were unaware that the speedboat from Chalong only left ones a day to the Island. And we had to stay overnight (we made our bookings with
"SERVICES@HOTELTHAILAND.COM"
NOT TO RECOMMEND WE STILL WAITING FOR A REFUND OF 27,522 THB SINCE DEC.12

Our rooms were very clean and we had a beautiful beach front position.
My husband left his camera in the car back to the airport, and with no hassles they mailed as the camera to Australia with all the incredible photo we took. No hesitation to recommend this resort to our friends and family in Germany.
It was a Birthday to remember.
We had the Bure no 201 and 202 beachfront the best.

Room Tip: Beach front Bure are the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dagmar K
Dear Ulrike B,

Thank you so much for letting us know how you enjoyed your stay at The Racha. We are happy to hear you had a wonderful birthday with us. It has been our privilege to serve you. We look forward to your return and to welcoming your friends and family from Germany in the near future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a five night stay in the Racha . I would like to firstly say we thoroughly enjoyed our stay , had excellent service and loved the layout, and design of the hotel .
However there are a few issues for me with the island and beach . The island could be beautiful with some care and sttention but unfortunately it isn't , as soon as you step out of the rear entrance you are met with rubbish and neglected dwellings , I appreciate the few people living on the island are very poor but I do think its a responsibility of the hotels to try and help promote the island outwith there resort.
The other issue is the public beach , I appreciate it is a public beach but again it has to be the responsibility of the hotel to work with the boat tour operators to take responsibility to clear up rubbish and limit the number of people visiting at any one time . I appreciate the staff attempt to clear the beach on a daily basis , but to honest it's not enough.
The final issue is that the Racha does attempt to keep the day trippers from entering the hotel, but our experience was that we frequently witnessed non residents wandering around the hotel and on one occasion whilst we were there used the pool. We were unhappy about this and did bring it to the attention of security and the front desk .
I really hope that's some of these issues can be addressed in the future as fear that a very beautiful hotel resort could be spoilt which would be a huge pity.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Helen S
Dear Helen S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at The Racha and that you found our service excellent. Your words of encouragement will certainly bring delight to all of our staff.
You outlined some valid points about the day tourists and beach cleanliness. Indeed, this is a very serious matter and we are currently addressing these issues. We are collaborating with the tour operators and local residents concerned to ensure cleanliness and a more efficient system are strictly maintained around the island.

Again, thank you for your honest comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Racha again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Racha for 6 nights at the end of a holiday to Thailand. Check in at the office at Chalong Pier was slightly stressful, busy and noisy with not enough seats. We were also unaware that spaces on the scheduled speedboat to the island were meant to be booked in advance which meant we had to wait for a later boat (there is no reference to this on the website). However, once on the boat this was quick and a nice way to arrive at the island. The man (?JJ - possibly from New Zealand) who assisted us was excellent and very helpful throughout our stay.

Our room was large and very clean, which was maintained throughout our stay. Both the pillows and mattress were comfortable and made sleep easy. We used the ipod dock for our own ipods, but you can loan one from the hotel if this is something you don't have. The air conditioning was slightly below adequate for us (we like a cool room), it especially seemed to struggle when all the outside lights were on. We mentioned this to staff, and we were informed it was checked and there was nothing wrong with the system. The bathroom and outdoor shower were lovely, and the jasmine toiletries smelt delicious and were good quality.

Breakfast was adequate, we particularly liked the egg station. We ate in two of the restaurants and the food was good - it is more expensive than other places in Thailand but its what we would expect when staying in a hotel of this calibre. If you book a table during the day you are guaranteed one in a nice spot, we found this worth doing. The infinity pool area was nice, with adequate sun loungers which were well spaced apart (we hate being too close to other groups). We used the gym and this was adequate (although very hot!). I used the spa on two occasions and staff were lovely and professional and it was a very relaxing place to be.

The hotel run an "activity programme" and there is a book detailing this in each room. I got up one morning for the running group, to be informed that it was cancelled - this appeared to be due to staff sickness. The morning yoga was cancelled one day - again due to staff sickness, but at least guests were informed of this by a note in the room. We also booked in the Sunset ATV tour one evening. When we arrived for this, we were informed that there was only 1 working ATV and we would not be able to take the trip - this was quite frustrating. In the end we took mountain bikes out instead. I feel that the "activity" programme is one of the main weaknesses of the the hotel and would not recommend planning your days around this. Of a hotel selling itself as top quality I think this needs some attention.

However, we had a fantastic trip to Racha Island. Staff were generally very nice and helpful and are a strength of the hotel. The views are amazing and the rooms are comfortable and beautiful. I would certainly return here if I was in this part of the world. Yes, the beach is busy in the day but being at the pool during these busy times allow easy relaxation and you can use the beach at the start and end of the day with very few around - if somewhere is this pretty people will want to see it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen H
Dear Helen H,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are pleased to hear you had a relaxing stay with us and that you enjoyed our accommodations and facilities. We truly appreciate your kind comments about our friendly staff and the service they provide. They go out of their way to ensure our guests’ stay is as pleasant as it should be. Indeed, they are a true asset of The Racha.

It is unfortunate that some of the sport activities were cancelled during your stay. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Also, we are sorry for the incident involving the sunset ATV tour. We have addressed this issue with the department concerned and corrective action has been taken to prevent similar occurrences from happening again.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It has been our joy to serve you. We look forward to your next visit.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Spent three days on the island. The Racha was everything it promised to be and more. The accommodation was spotless, the decor beautiful and our private pool fantastic. The meals were fresh and well cooked with plenty of choice.
The sunsets made the visit even more worthwhile.
I can't recommend the hotel more highly.

• Stayed March 2013
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Wendy K,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in offering excellent service and ensure our guests are able to enjoy every moment with us. We are extremely pleased you found everything “magnificent.” Your kind words will certainly bring delight to all our staff.

It has been our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to sharing more beautiful sunsets with you on your next visit.

Toronto
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Well , where can I start, we came here for our honeymoon as a part of an " exotic trip to Thai " my wife picked this hotel as being a member of the " Small luxury hotels" where you should have peace , quietness , isolation and the best service, I have been here for three days and can't wait to get out of here .
I am unlike others , I am not impressed with the BMW and the speed board , means nothing , when you arrive here and have to wait for hours to check in . Or when you arrive to the so called " exotic resort " and find more then 300 day tripper on the beach , a jungle , one of the dirtiest beaches that I have ever been , we were swimming the first day with watermelon skins , condoms add to this the extremely noisy boats with the gas fumes that don't respect people swimming , we were almost killed twice in the first two days , so we decided to stick to the pool. I understand that all beaches are public in Thai but the resort has at least to ask the government to limit the boats to a certain area on the side of the beach for tourist safety . Also to limit the day trips from using the facilities , it is extremely ridiculous to spend almost 500$ per night and share the same facility with others . That being said , I am really glad I only stayed in the deluxe villa , as we have asked initially to upgrade to the pool,or the seaview villa and we would have wasted triple the amount .
I agree the room was nice , not the best ,,I stayed in way better rooms which were cheaper price and more private beaches . The Internet is a struggle itself , if I wasn't on my honeymoon and needed to check my email more regular , I would have left after the first night .

The service is poor compared to other resorts epically when we just came from few days in Dubai, food is basic , nothing special.
I really wish I never have wasted this time from my honeymoon or the money . And I would like to address the dear manager who I am sure will see my review and try to answer . Sir, you can do better and ensure the safety of your guests , the cleanliness of the beaches , to limit the day tripper from using the facility when you charge us that much, the slow Internet to be fixed , the operator ' 1 ' answers faster and not after ten times and barely speaks English.
Anyway, me and my wife decided to stick to Europe as we are looking for a service that matches the price tag no matter how high it will be .

Room Tip: If you are really itching to come here , do yourself a favour and don't spend that much in the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hany D
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Hany D,

Thank you for your review.

We are extremely disappointed to learn that your stay with us has not been satisfactory. We are sorry that the bay and beach in front of our resort are public areas and get quite busy during the high season from November to April. The issue regarding the boats and day tourists is indeed a very serious matter and rest assured we are doing our best to rectify this problem. Also, we apologize for the limited bandwidth you experienced during your stay. We just conducted an internet system upgrade and being located on a remote island with no fiber-optic or broadband internet links to the mainland, maintaining an excellent internet service is truly a challenge sometimes. With our IT department working around the clock, we are confident that we will soon have a much faster and more stable internet connection. Furthermore, we apologize for the incident involving one of our guest service officers. This issue has been properly addressed with the department concerned and corrective action has been taken to ensure such occurrences do not happen again.

Once again, we are sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us for the reasons mentioned. Thank you for caring enough to share your comments with us. We aim to improve and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

the racha hotel located in the racha island. thats means that you dont have a lot of activities to do after sunset.
its worth to visit but not to stay too long.
i stayed in the two bedroom pool villa it was more then great.
the private pool is big enough.
the room was clean the service is excellent.
the beach is one of the best beaches in thailand
but in the high season there is a lot of one day trip visiting this island so the beach will be very very crowded and it wont be quiet beach anymore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank J7_kw
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear J7_kw,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your stay with us in September last year.

We take great pride in providing excellent service and top-class accommodations. It is always a pleasure to see this being recognized. Thank you so much. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Racha Yai
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,341 reviews
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!