Our initial pleasant greet and check in at the Racha lounge in Phuket was very much soured by an Asian couples child who they ignored and allowed to yell, run around, eat copious lollies and disrupt all other guests in the lounge. It was appalling parenting which was not the fault of the Racha staff but they should have said something to the patents. My husband and I gave the child more than disapproving looks on several occasions to which he responded but only momentarily. To top it off this family also held up the rest of the guests whilst they argued whether their boat and taxi were included or not for over half an hour. Not particularly restful start.
Our initial meet and greet at the resort post bumpy but quick boat ride was lovely. Jo made us feel at home instantly showing us our room. The room was lovely with a view of the bay and fresh fruit was laid out for us. The indoor shower was a little mouldy in the bottom corners which I wouldn't have expected given the price we paid but we ended up using the outdoor shower mostly as it had a better shower head and pressure. The pillow menu whilst limited had what we wanted.
The beach is beautiful, however the rubbish does let it down despite daily cleaning - a reflection unfortunately of a lot Thai islands these days - nothing as idyllic as places were over 10 years ago. Not the fault of the racha at all - more the fault of day trippers and also some guests of the resort who we watched leave rubbish behind and walk back to their rooms rather than place it in the bin that they had to pass to get there.
The three pools are amazing with music piped underwater making for great relaxation whilst floating. We never felt crowded within the resort complex and in fact had the pool with the waterfall the whole day all to ourselves! We figured everyone was at the beach or the infinity pool overlooking the beach but it was fantastic as there were no screaming kids to contend with.
They have set up a dive shop which is understaffed (one poor guy that has to do everything) and don't have a boat of their own so you have to pay extortionate amount to get to racha noi - we could dive with another operator on the island without a boat charge at all!
The food was fantastic for the most part, good portions but expensive in comparison to Thai food elsewhere of similar calibre, the western food was on par with prices in Australia and the quality of the flambé lamb was exceptional!!!! My chicken burger i ordered whilst by the pool at club del mar one day was raw in one section and although I got an apology nothing else was offered (still had to pay full price) I didn't complain much about it other than pointing it out and perhaps I should have but I would have thought my pointing it out would have been enough indication that it should be a free item as it put me off the rest of the burger (my husband finished it for me but we obviously cut out the raw bit)
But most of all you MUST do the romantic dinner on the star deck but I highly advise you skip lunch that day as there was sooooo much food and each course was divine!!!!!! Just amazing in terms of view, food, service - ticked all the boxes!
The staff were all great, attentive, friendly and although some had limited English they all did their best and got everything right for us.
I would highly recommend this resort and hope that we can return again in the near future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 12 miles south of Phuket on Racha Yai island, The Racha is Thailand's premier deluxe island hideaway. Set on a pristine white-powdery beach and surrounded by the dazzling turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea, this five star resort features 70 stylish villas offering the ultimate in luxurious comfort, from private pool villas with underwater music, to a very unique 5-storey Lighthouse Pool Villa with an observation deck offering panoramic views around the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Racha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Racha Hotel Ko Racha Yai
- Racha Hotel Yai Island
- Racha Yai Island
- Racha Phuket
- The Racha Ko Racha Yai, Phuket, Thailand