“Really disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bungalow Raya Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bungalow Raya Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ko Racha Yai
“Really disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Racha/Raya with the day tripper boat and headed to the bungalows to check-in. We were given bungalow 10 but (despite previous reviews) I kept an open mind. I shouldn't have bothered. It was horrible. Depressing even. The floor boards feel like they could break at any time. It's dirty, old, ants in bathroom, window has gaps in it. There was no way we would have slept. Next door were some more updated concrete bungalows with air con so I went down and asked if I could possibly upgrade and pay the difference. A girl told me it would be 3000 baht per night for these bungalows (I paid 7500 for 5 nights in horrible bungalow 10). Anyway, I was told I had to phone 'thai tours' to arrange it. I wasn't given a number of phone so used my phone to find the number online and call. They said it is 3300 baht per night. Then I went back to the desk and the man (?manager) said the bungalows are 3500 baht per night. He said he had to wait for a call and to pay later. He have us the key for an sitcom bungalow but by this point I wasn't getting good vibes off him and didn't want to check into a place without knowing what he wanted to charge. We left the island as I searched online and am currently in an amazing place (chalong chalet and long stay) back in chalong for which I paid £105 for 5 nights. I was glad to get off the island. The manager was so unwelcoming and the staff looked miserable.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Itsinthepress

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Dortmund, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this beautifull bay for two nights and used the restaurant for dinner. Everything was tasty, fresch and sailors are welcome. The bay is phantastic and the bungalows look quite nice. Good place for swimming and having a relaxed time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geosailing
Springwood, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I have to be honest, I love this island and this is my third trip, this time with friends and young adult children, and the bungalows were sufficient to give us a place to sleep and shower for a few days. Considering the complexity and expense in getting materials out to Koh Racha, you expect to pay a little more than on Phuket, but Bungalow Raya gives you a budget option. If you book here, and know what to expect - gaffa tape over holes in the wall or screens, a small synthetic bed cover and a mosquito net that may or may not cover the bed (ours did)- then you can relax into the gorgeous views and snorkeling. Yes the main bay (Patok) is busy, but the colour and movement makes it interesting - and in the quiet hours before 10 and after 3 you have the beach to yourselves. Solo travellers be aware the beach lounges have to be rented in pairs for 200bht.
No sign of the snake in the ceiling mentioned in previous review, friends had that bungalow and there was no hole now. Best thing about Bungalow Raya is the restaurant, the views from the bungalows and proximity to the Tom Bam Bou bar at the end of the beach.
New concrete bungalows with aircon are almost finished and will have the best uninterrupted views from the hill above Patok Bay. If you need a cover to sleep, bring a cotton sheet.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Evermorgs
Hoi An, Vietnam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Raya Island day tour with Bungalow Raya Resort Co organised by Wheel Fortune Travel and Tour.
Cost 900 baht each. The service provided by Wheel Fortune was excellent. They have provided this excellent service to us over 5 years and a lot of tours.
The driver was 45 minutes early to pick us up from Kata Beach and it soon became evident that there was not enough room in the minibus for all of the passengers and luggage which led to some (understandably) very unhappy and uncomfortable customers.
From the tour operator checkin area near Chalong Pier all the passengers were marshalled along the pier road to the cruise speedboat which was moored stern to the sand on the beach where we all climbed on board. The journey to Raya Island took approximately 30 minutes. On arrival we moored at a makeshift pier at Siam Bay situated on the eastern side of the island (not on the main beach) for a few minutes to disembark passengers and cargo prior to re positioning to an area at Konkae Bay several hundred metres away for snorkelling. The goggles and flippers had not been distributed prior to our arrival and this process led to quite some delay prior to the snorkelling. On completion of the snorkelling the boat was repositioned back to the makeshift pier where all the passengers were disembarked. This pier looks as though it is mainly used for the transport of goods an supplies for the resort(s). ie. "the tradesman's entrance".
Transport to the main beach at Patok Bay was not immediately available and some of the passengers chose to walk to the other side of the island. My perceived short cut led to an unscheduled rain forest walk that resulted in a delayed arrival time for us at Patok Bay beach. My fault entirely. We were last to arrive for the supplied lunch at Bungalow Raya Resort and there was no food left so we went back to the beach. Not happy! There is a new resort Ban Raya which encompasses most of the beachfront. It has one small bar adjacent which is available to itinerant cruise customers (those not staying at the resort). A small Heineken beer (available at 7/11stores in Phuket for 50 baht) cost 164 baht. Beach chairs under an umbrella (a scarce commodity) cost 100 baht each to hire. Transport back to the cruise boat at the Konkae Bay pier was by means of an old and dilapidated makeshift "bus". There is no way that this vehicle would pass any basic road worthiness test. We did ride in the "bus" however my assessment was that we would have been a lot safer if we had walked (even via my rainforest route).The speedboat trip from Raya Island back to Chalong Bay again took around half an hour. On arrival we docked at the pier. I think was due the tide being out and the beach mooring from where we departed being inaccessible. Sonny, the tour guide on the speedboat solicited tips from almost all the passengers. Very poor form! We were then transported via another makeshift bus to the landslide end of the pier, and walked back to the tour operators area where we met the minibus transport driver who took us back to Kata Beach. There were seats for everyone this time. In summary this was the most poorly organised tour that we have been on. Even at the price we paid it was not value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce G
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Me and my husband went to this resort. in that time, we decided to stay 1 nite at Raya Resort. The location was fantastic, that is for sure, no doubt. Beach was such a paradise. I can even swim alone as if it my private billion $ island.

But lets talk bout this resort. So, we checked in, the staff was fine, they gave me room no. 10. It was a bungalow. The room was "so-so" as it is cheap for the price, and that won't be any problem with us. The view from room no 10 was great, straight to the beautiful andaman sea. Then i came back to the receptionist to ask whether i could have in room service (food/drink), and they said, we can not. i didn't ask for the reason until i found out that there are many giant lizards (a bit smaller than komodo). Imagine if you bring food and leave it outside your room, then the lizard might be in front of your bungalow to grab your food.

The worst is, we CAN NOT SLEEP even a minute! I was pillow-chatting with my husband when he heard something in our ceiling. Then about hours later, we saw a YELLOW BLACK SNAKE hanging from the hole at the corner ceiling above our door. Luckily, the snake didn't fall, and got back inside the ceiling.

More nightmare was we had no electricity for about 30 minutes in that night, What a perfect nightmare right? Snake, blackout, no telephone (in case for help). It was also dark outside. At that night, we were the only guest + one Dutch guy (room no.8).

SO, BEWARE OF ROOM NO. 10 in this resort because it's not cockroach or rat, its a SNAKE in the room

CHOOSE room no.8 to stay since the dutch guy(room 8) told me that it has the best view to the beach and andaman sea.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOM NO. 10 => snake in the room CHOOSE ROOM No. 8 => best view to the beach and andama...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Indri N
wamberal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have stayed at the bungalow raya resort three times now and the staff and management are always so welcoming and friendly it feels as though we are staying with old friends.
The island is very busy around the main beach area, between 9am and about 3pm, when the day trippers abound, but once they leave, the island takes on a whole different perspective.
The natural beauty of the place becomes more evident as the sun dips and you enjoy a drink at the bamboo bar on the beach, then make your way around to the restaurant which juts out over the clear waters of the bay.
The food is deliscious and well priced, the service is great and the bungalows are clean, spacious and very comfortable.
The front 6 bungalows are positioned magnificently on the edge of the bay with each bungalow enjoying beautiful views of the amazing Andaman sea sunset from a private balcony.

Room Tip: call ahead and book a front bungalow. No aircon but fans. If you want 5 star this isnt the place, b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank terence m
Ruza, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hello ))

The location is amazing. Best beach I've ever seen. You can swim here independent of tides, you just have to walk 5m longer on that perfect sand, thats all. Snorkel, no, excellent snorkel and free diving - right on the beach or in any other bay on the island.
However be prepared that from 11am till 3:15pm this bay become something like Maya bay on PhiPhi, I guess 200+ tourists will come for a day trip. Before or after that you know where is your place in this world. There is cool reggae/ska bar and very good massage right on the beach.

Yes, there are dangerous jellyfishes so read up a bit and consider to swim in light suit or use some magical protective cream (Raya Divers sell it in the Divers Village). Keep an eye for a sea snakes, my friend reported two reef sharks.

Resort is on the right wing of the bay, to get to the bungalows you should go almost through toilet - no good. There is no shower on the beach - it's in this toilet upstairs or in your room. There are varangs more than 2m long there, it's funny. And 20+ cats (quiet). And cicadas (incredible loud).

Service - great, staff is helpful and do their best to keep the resort clean, room was cleaned every day, including bed sheets changes.

Rooms - well it's bungalows, don't expect wonders there, personally it was too humid for me. Good quality cotton white sheets would serve much better that colorful thick ones we were provided. Blankets were not cotton but some weird silk or something. All that could not help with humidity in the night.
There are mosquitos so shut the door tight.

Food was good, I'd recommend to ask for the Asian breakfast (congee rice soup). And they should get rid of these flies of course, it's quite annoying in the morning.

Rooms are cheap but they include compulsory transfer when you make the booking (speed boat + land transfer in the minibus), we didn't use these transfers though.

Overall the island is so good everything else doesn't matter. I really hope there wont be any additional hotels or roads on the island and that people will manage to transfer the garbage from the island, not to collect it in the middle of the island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews
Ban Raya Resort & Spa
Ban Raya Resort & Spa
#4 of 4 in Ko Racha Yai
Rayaburi Resort (Racha Island)
Coral Island Resort
Coral Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Ko He
Smile House
Smile House
#25 of 92 in Rawai

Been to Bungalow Raya Resort? Share your experiences!