“Amazing hotel”

Anantara Layan Phuket Resort
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Reviewed May 12, 2014

It was our first experience staying at Anantara. Everything provided in the room was well thought of, ensuring that all our needs were met. Absolutely love the bath salt. A beach bag was provided for those who forgot theirs (like me!).

We went on the kayak around an island not far away from the secluded private beach we had at the hotel on our last day. This was very fun and highly recommended. Dinner at Dee Plee (the Thai restaurant up on the hill) was definitely worth going for. We had the most amazing beef Thai green curry and pandan chicken served with 3 different kinds of rice of our choice! We were also given mieng kham as our starter. I'd recommend dinner at Dee Plee. We didnt manage to find time to try Sala Restaurant which serves pizzas and pastas but I'm sure that the food is good too, judging from the wide spread breakfast we had every single day we were there.

I was very impressed with the hospitality shown by all the hotel staff. They greeted us warmly when we arrived (together with refreshing cold towels and welcome drinks), and even asked if we already had activities planned out. They also assisted us in renting a car and a motorbike. Our flight was in the evening so we did a late check-out. They were concerned about what we would do in between our check-out and airport transfer (We rented a motorbike to explore around Laguna area (10 mins away) and Surin Beach (30 mins away)). I was most impressed when they offered a shower facility for us just before we went off to the airport. That was very thoughtful and very much appreciated.

We bought some fruits from the market and left them on the table and when we came back, the fruits were laid out on a plate with a chopping board and a knife :) Thank you so much to housekeeping for being extra attentive.

Special thanks to Kaew, Su, James and the rest of the hotel staff (I couldnt catch the rest of their names) for making our stay that much more memorable!

Room Tip: Our room was the Deluxe Sea View Suite at the last block up on the hill. It was quiet and we were to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ACKamel
Andy K, General Manager at Anantara Layan Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear ACKamel,

We cannot thank you enough for your amazing review. It was a great pleasure to have you at Anantara Phuket Layan Resort & Spa.

I will certainly convey your special thanks to Kaew, Su, James and the rest of the staff. They are the ones that work hard every day to ensure all our guests are left with great memories and stories to tell about their visit.

We look forward to see you again here in Phuket or in any of our other Anantara hotels.

Best regards

Reviewed May 10, 2014

What makes the hotel stand out from its peers is great service, great location and great food. The staff were not only very friendly, but professional and proactive - their special attention made us feel like we were the only ones staying at the hotel.
Our Sala villa was also excellent with lots of space both inside and outside and a pool big enough to enjoy with a family.
The food exceeded our expectations in terms of flavor and presentation and the restaurant setting is just lovely with a great view of the bay and sea.
Its a place we would definitely like to return to!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Andy K, General Manager at Anantara Layan Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear Braunies,

We strongly believe that great service is what makes the difference. Adding to that a great location, great food and friendly but professional and proactive staff and we will have very delighted guests as yourself. So a heartfelt thank you to you for choosing our resort as your home in Phuket and we already look forward to welcome you again.

Regards,

Anantara Phuket Layan Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is our first experience with Anantara Resort and one of the best that we ever stayed! We booked Beachfront Layan Pool Villa for 2 nights, and I wish I can stay there for another 2 nights! Impressive villa with huge bathroom, huge pool with both stunning beach view and lagoon view. Staff were very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear woodwoodlily.

Thank you for posting your pictures and comments on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that we were able to make a right first impression for Anantara and hope this is the beginning for many more visits to our amazing collection of hotels and resorts.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This property is pure paradise! From the minute you arrive with the wonderful welcome you receive (you must try their welcome drink! Delicious) to the sad day when you have to leave . . . you will be so impressed. We stayed in a pool villa and our friends stayed in a Premier Sea View room. Both rooms offer someone for someone. I am a pool person so my room with a pool was fantastic plus the bathrooms in the pool villa's are made for a queen!!! My friends are "view" people and you truly can't beat the sea view from the Premier rooms.

The breakfast buffet is literally the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen or had. What an amazing experience. You have to try to special egg and lobest dish that Chef Umberto will creat for you. I almost stayed an extra night just for breakfast.

A must is having dinner in "dee plee" the resorts Thai restaurant. The restaurant sits on the hill overlooking the sea and has the most delecatable Thai food (you have try try the Khao Soy Gai). Go for a drink during sunset so you can experience a stunning sunset.

I found out the resort has a wedding chapel! I must may have to find a husband so I can get married there :).

All in all - what a wonderful 3 days we had there. The resort is perfect for friends, families, couples, honeymooners - everyone and I will definitly go back!

Room Tip: The resort has several room types - it all depends if you want a view of the sea or a private pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meg E
Andy K, General Manager at Anantara Layan Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Meg E,

It was our pleasure to have you in Paradise and we are delighted to read that you had a wonderful 3 days and we certainly look forward to welcome you back to your home in Phuket.

Let us know when you find a husband and we will get the wedding chapel ready.

Until next time....

Best regards,

The Anantara Phuket Layan Team.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband and I had previously stayed at the Anantara Phuket Villas and had a wonderful experience there. So, when it came to planning my joint 40th birthday with my BFF Elaine, the newly opened Anantara Layan became the obvious choice for our group of 13 adults and 15 children. Our experience there ranged dramatically from over-the-moon fantastic to downright disastrous!

Fantastic:
Nearly all the families got free upgrades, which was a godsend, because the seaview rooms we had booked were just downwind from a very noisy and dusty construction site.
Our 40th birthday party was wonderful, from the beach cocktails to the amazing Thai feast. Well done, Elisabeth d'Souza, party-planner extraordinaire!
The food we had at the Thai restaurant and breakfast, especially on Easter Day, was spectacular. Chef Umberto rocks!! Our stay was made all the more special thanks to the Chef who was always on hand, day and night, to make recommendations, tweak menus to accommodate our preferences and whip up special requests.

Disastrous:
The reservations department was often poorly managed, getting the bookings mixed up, not being able to fulfill simple requests of extra bed or cot in a timely manner.
Slow service at the restaurant. Again, communication between the kitchen and wait staff was evidently lacking. SOme of our meals appeared quickly and others took over an hour.

Overall, we had a great time. The beach is lovely, especially at low tide. The pool is very nice, although the deck area around it is too small. We stayed in the Sala pool villa which was beautiful, despite a couple of design flaws. I think that in a year or 2, after all the building works are done and after all the kinks have been ironed out, this resort will be top-class.

Room Tip: The pool villas are great. When we were there, the seaview rooms were right next to a massive const...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Audrey W
Andy K, General Manager at Anantara Layan Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Audrey W,

Thank you very much for choosing Anantara Phuket Layan Resort & Spa to celebrate your joint birthday with your friends. We were very delighted to have you and we appreciate very much your feedback. we are glad that you had fantastic moments despite also some disastrous ones. We are fully aware of the shortfalls as they were discussed with you and your guests during your stay and I can assure you that the entire team has, since then, been working hard to ensure the problems you faced do not reoccur in the future. I would like to apologize once again for all those misses and hope to welcome you back in the future to show you that we ironed out all the kinks.

With warm regards

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I visited during the soft opening and found no issues with noise that some other reviewers mentioned. Furnishings and amenities were very nice and the breakfast spread was unbelievable. We had wine and champagne for breakfast!! Nice pool right next to the beach. Quiet location and not walkable toNikki beach, though the hotel will drop you off at the main road from which it is a 15 minute walk. I think the hotel has an arrangement with Nikki beach that gives hotel guests free tables. The room service menu is not particulary cheap - we paid 110b for like 15 fries and 260b for two chicken nuggets with what would have been a small fries from McDonald's. Far away from most things so highly recommended for vacationers who just want to laze about and enjoy each other's company but if you want to go out and do stuff you're better off staying somewhere Patong.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank powdersnowed
Andy K, General Manager at Anantara Layan Phuket Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear powdersnowed,

Excellence is what we strive for every day and it is through the feedback from our guests that we can further improve. Thank you so much for your comments and review.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel - even when staying there as we did during the soft opening period, and I would happily return later when everything is completed.

There are many great points but beyond what is expected if a 5-star hotel (which it delivers on), I would especially highlight the secluded location and private beach, the calm and luxurious ambience, and unusually friendly staff.

Two let downs.

I desired two specific day trips (diving and snorkelling). I went to reception expressing what I desired and every time the reply was no availability. It took me at least 20 minutes each time to sort out, getting the hotel to ring other agents and each time I had amazing luxurious trips to my desired destination a that I would have missed out on if believing reception. As a guest in a 5-star resort I expect the hotel to supply what I ask for and think beyond their own agent.

A integral part of coming to this part of the world is spa treatments and massages. The hotel is very aggressively priced for treatments with prices well above other 5-star hotels both in Asia and Europe. I cannot exclude that the finished spa will lend itself to such prices but I would be surprised. This price policy needs managerial consideration.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear SE1er_in_Lodnon,

"Excellent. Tranquil. Luxurious." - Thank you for these great description of Anantara Phuket Layan Resort & Spa and fo highlighting our friendly staff.

It was a great pleasure for the entire team to make your stay enjoyable.

I also appreciate your feedback in regards to the difficulties with your day trip bookings and your concerns with our Spa pricing. Rest assured that I will look into this to ensure we do not let our guests down.

Again thank you for your visit and until next time...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Anantara Layan Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!