“We'll be back”

Baan Puri
scotland
“We'll be back”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Club Lersuang in Phuket is a fabulous haven, away from all the stress and strains of every day life.
We flew from Scotland to Bangkok (via Dubai), had 3 nights seeing the sights there (we saw all the sights!!) and then another hour flying to Phuket. Club Lersuang was a 40 min drive. The modern penthouse that we stayed in was spacious, air conditioned and all round the last word in luxury. I would certainly recommend a penthouse if you can get one that is available.
The pool and gym were quiet when we used them and the beach was a short stroll away. The beach seemed to be endless and the water sooo warm. The small local restaurants were a delight and food excellent.
We hired a car and soon were driving all round the island. Club Lersuang was a good central base for this.
We'll be back!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank DouglasPark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
UK
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We had a great weekend at Club Lersuang. the first floor apartment we stayed in had everything we had hoped for. It was spotless. Staff of the estate were very helpful and couldn't help us enough with any requests we had.

Club Lersuang is a very peaceful and tranquil place to be - it was heaven. The restaurant had a great selection of both Thai and Western food at extremely good prices. They would even tailor make meals to your request.

Fantastic gym and superb swimming pool!

Would not hesitate in going back - come to think of it - we have just decided that we will go back!

• Liked — Ambience, location and facilities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Happytraveller59
Gold Coast
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Club Lersuang Bang Tao Village Phuket: We arrived at the complex at 20.30hrs on a very rainy evening. No electricity upon arrival due to the heavy rain, emergency lighting available only in the reception area. Should power fail at night and during an emergency evacuation of the complex, I would suggest you take a torch. Power was restored after about an hour or so.

Check-in was different, firstly we were presented with an indemnity form to sign to wavier Club Lersuang or any of its agent from liability should anyone of our party suffer an accident or injury whilst staying at the property. Then a form to sign guaranteeing that if our toilets became blocked with anything other than human waste it would be down to us to pay for the repairs/maintenance to fix. We were advised to put all toilet paper in the waste bin along with other disposables. Another form, informed us of recent crime activity at the Club and all valuables should be locked in the room safe provided. Our room safe was only stuck down with adhesive and could have been easily removed from the room by any determined thief.

Our last form to sign was an open credit card slip. I was informed that not to sign this would result in us not been allowed access to the apartment, which by now we had paid for in full, nearly $US 3,000 for the 14 nights. I was not happy to sign and leave an open credit card slip with the reception. They told me it would be safe and the receptionist then showed me other slips, which were stored in an open file, as proof that others had entrusted them with their signed slips. Now, horrified, I refused to sign and the General Manager of the letting agency was called. I informed her that I was accustomed to leaving my credit card with an hotel or apartment management, providing it was done electronically, where the hotel would naturally apply for a daily approval rate from your credit card issuer, to guarantee them you are indeed going to settle your bill upon check-out. But here, I had paid for my accommodation up-front and would willingly have given them a token $US250 security deposit for breakages or, signed a form guaranteeing payment of any damages/breakages to the apartment. But to have to pay a deposit of 40,000Baht or leave an open credit card I feel it not on. The management were fair/polite and courteous at all times throughout this discussion. But they would not budge on this point and to loose my up front payment would have been my loss as it was un-refundable.
I eventually relented and signed as the rental management took my slip away for safe and secure storage. They also undertook not to charge my card without my approval. To be fair I was told on an email after the final payment was made, that I would have to leave an imprint of my card, I was not told that it was for 40,000Baht nor was I advised that it would have to be an open and signed credit card slip. Very old hat don’t you think. Incidentally, most banks issuing credit cards will automatically stop usage in Thailand until you telephone them from there to confirm that it is you. Apparently, currently, there are 3 countries which this security alert applies to with cards and Thailand is one of them. So be warned, tell your bank if you are going to Thailand.

After the electricity was restored we were shown to our penthouse apartment. Yet more forms we discover, now we are presented with a 2 page inventory of the apartment. Upon checking we found several errors. When this was pointed out it was blamed on the owner, as borrowing a friend’s inventory and not doing one for this particular apartment. I wondered how many previous guests had just signed the form and took pot luck. Or after so many years of renting why was this form not the correct one for this apartment. But the receptionist was aware of the missing items and gladly accepted my word that it was so.

The penthouse apartment had a large kitchen with dining and sitting area with two ensuite bedrooms. The kitchen work surface are of black stone type, which was marked with water marks and previous ‘scouring’, cleaning, had left un-removable marks to the seen surface. A pity as such surfaces need care when cleaning. Each bedroom along with the one kitchen/sitting/dining area has individual ducted air-conditioning. Although the guest bedroom does suffer from the very noisy generators for the air-con, which is positioned not 3 metres from the bedroom window, which is of single glaze. This did cause our guest a sleeping problem. There are four flights of stairs to climb should you consider a penthouse, with regular trips with supplies/cases/water and your own self this becomes tiring and is not for the faint hearted or for the aged or infirm. I would also say that the site is unsuitable for wheelchairs do to the bridge access to blocks B & C.

Housekeeping: After 3 days our sheets and towels were due for exchange, to assist the cleaners, we decided to change our own beds; opps… the mattress protector was very badly stained in many places from, urine to blood and all that stuff. This should have been laundered prior to us taking over this apartment. The pillow protectors were also badly soiled. When we told reception they said it must have been us as the linen would have all been changed prior to our arrival. A language barrier, so I telephoned the Pips rental agency and within 20 minutes was sent over a new mattress protector and the pillow proctors were sent to the laundry. The very next morning all were returned spotless from the laundry. Why, this was not done as a routine I cannot imagine.

Laundry Facilities: There are no laundry facilities for you to do your own washing. There is an off site laundry service provided should you wish to pay. But with all good apartments you should have a washing machine particular as some of these apartments are let long term. Not even a bathroom washing line as provided in most modern apartments and hotels of today for you to do your smalls.

The showers: Both of our showers, it was difficult to get a constant water temperature. It was either very hot or stone cold, considering it is a warm country I would have thought even the cold water would be warm. But for us this was not the case, also the pressure to the showers was quite low. Disappointing considering the write ups of the few people that have bothered to write a review, maybe the top floors don’t get many renters just owners.

Beds: Whilst being of a good size, good comfortable European/Australian/American or even Singaporean they are not. The mattresses are rock hard and it is impossible to get a good nights rest on them. We were told that’s how they make them in Thailand. That may be so, it doesn’t mean that one has to buy them if you know them to be so hard for your European/ Australian/ American guests.

Restaurant: The restaurant is not a restaurant that you would imagine in a top resort. It is cramped and laid out like a café, although they do try and change the mood in the evening by putting table runners on. The Menu is varied and relative inexpensive compared to Europe/Australia/America but you will also not get the size and quantity that those offer neither. Nevertheless, they are friendly and do try and please everyone that eats there. As they say, you pay for what you get. The bar is within the eating area and bar stools are provided.

Reception: This is run by the Pips management team, so depending who you rent from, within this complex, as there are several different rental companies along with individual who rent apartments here. So you may or may not receive their help depending who you choose to rent from. I found Pips to be extremely professional, helpful and obliging to try and assist you with anything. I would have no hesitation in recommending this agency for Phuket even if you decide not to stay at Club Lersuang. They use very nice comfortable modern mini buses for their airport pick-up, which they do as part of their service. I am told they actually do this for no profit or reward, just to help their clients. This must say more than words can express to you if you are an ardent traveller and hence my recommendation for you to use Pips.

The Pool: The pool runs the whole length of the apartment blocks, with one end being for children, if they would only use it. The other being for the adults, unfortunately here, they do let anyone use the pool. Whilst we were there numerous walk-ins just picked a sun bed and enjoyed what we had paid expensive dollars for. It happened on several occasions whilst we were there. The whole complex is not secure as there are side gates which are open to anyone from 7am to midnight. So your security could become compromised here if it’s a problem for you. They do have a security guard on duty that does walk the corridors of the apartment’s blocks. But on several occasions I saw them individually sitting on their motorbikes talking to the local taxi drivers and whoever to pass by their time. I would say a token gesture here and not a determined deterrent, but nevertheless they do have security on duty here.

Location: The complex is some 300-400 metres from the beach front as the crow flies. But to reach it you have to pass through a field on a track, which is being used to dump household and other waste. The smell is very much like a garbage tip as that seems to be what it’s becoming. The track itself is very sandy and dusty and one would not want to wear decent shoes to cross this area, to walk around by the roadway is some 1,250 metres. You can easily make it to the restaurants in Bang Tao village by crossing this track in about 6-10 minutes but be warned you are sharing it with motorbikes and bikes with sidecars and, in the dark you may have to jump out of the way of a swerving motorbike. Some of the street-side restaurants have put matting over the open drain covers to stop the smell for ruining your dinner but, it can get quite strong at times. All of the roadside drains have very large breather gaps in them so that could be off putting if you are squeamish. The area is still developing fast and one can here the’ thump thump’ of the pile drivers from 8am to 6pm most days. There are a yet no real pathways to walk on so you also have to contend with the local traffic to get out and about in the evenings.

Taxi’s: Unlike Bangkok where taxis have meters, all local taxis will charged you a fixed rate, minimum charge is 100 Baht to Surin Beach, 200Baht to Tesco’s food store and 200 back. 500Baht to Patong and 500 back. Prices are fixed and controlled by the local taxi gangs. So for a distance where in Bangkok would cost you 35 Baht here it will be 200, for a start its okay, as to you its still cheap but, after a while you get the feeling of being ripped off. Particularly when they offer you trips to the Islands at 25% off your club rate. But go into Patong and you will see on every corner 50% off for the exact same thing. So for me I was ripped off by the taxi drivers, as they told me they could get me a discount at ‘Fantasea’ for 1500 Baht with no food and no transport, I found out they paid only 1000baht for the tickets and made 1,500 baht out of us in one trip. So we hired a car for the second week from Andaman Car Rent in Bang Tao Village, for only 800 baht a day including insurance. (Barter with them for a week and see the price come down) So the taxi drivers lost out everyday from our fares in the end by their greed.

Overall: Remembering Thailand and Phuket in particular, is still a developing country. This complex offers you some very nice apartment accommodation for Bang Tao Beach area. If you want a more developed area then seek out Karron of Katta Beach, as they have been going longer and do offer a much more finished feel with several good eating places. Bang Tao area does have some very good restaurants too, but they come at a price. This area can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it, with meals from 100 baht to 900 baht depending where you want to eat and what surroundings are acceptable to you. Silk, Weaves, Catch, Sugar Cane, Surin Bay Inn, to name but a few. The complex is offering now some apartments available to (time share) or the new word “lifestyle purchase” they’re one of the same. We did experience from Monday to Friday a constant stream of viewers walking across the bridge in the middle of the pool to view an apartment. It’s a shame as this will definitely detract the regular renter that wants a quite secluded and yet quality accommodation holiday away from it all. It did not cause us any concern or detract us from baking in the sun but, one did always feel, oh not another two!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Calpespain
London
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at Club Lersuang in Dec 06 and loved the place. So, booked again for Dec 07, paid $4000 and arrived.

The first few days were bizzare. Consider this, NO ONE stays there for 10.5 months of the year, everyone arrives in December. So, what happens in December? they start building an outhouse. This comprised of welding (sparks flying everywhere) severe banging, and just a constant noise. Couple this with the fact that a chap that owns one or two apartment, (and he is the origianl builder of the place) decides to start a timeshare of his apartment.

Well, as per the other reviewer earlier, we were surrounded by dozens of people being shown timeshare, the pool was used by their kids who went unsupervised and generally it was a bloody nightmare

We were so fed up after a week that we moved out.

The place is great, the location is fab, but we dont want to spend upward of $1300 a week for a crap experience so a fat builder can line his pockets further

So, avoid...unless you want to buy a timeshare!

Shame, as apart from the builders escapades its a great place to be.

If the timeshare ruse is over then we will be itching to return

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — TIMESHARE
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank HolidayMad007
aandjbw, Apartment owner and voluntary Chairman of the Club Lersuang Owners Committee at Baan Puri, responded to this review, March 15, 2008
I'm sure all the owners at Club Lersuang would want to sympathise with you about the problems you experienced during your stay, as it is also clear that you otherwise think very highly of Club Lersuang and were a returning guest. Readers who look at the reviews in general will see that most are amazingly complimentary about Club Lersuang, and quite rightly too as it's a fantastic destination which we're all very proud of.

Taking the two problems outlined in your post, the Owners Committee has the responsibility for organising schedules of work to keep the estate looking pristine and ensuring that it is safe. This work is generally carried out in quieter periods, although there are some constraints imposed by the monsoon season. Before you arrived, in November 07, we carried out a major programme of work in readiness for High Season. Unfortunately there are two exceptions to our remit and that is the Clubhouse and the 'sala' next to it, a covered seating area which I think is what you refer to as the 'outhouse'.. These are run by the developer, and the decision was taken by them to reroof and repaint the sala, slap bang in the middle of high season - it needed doing and we're pleased it has been done, but the timing - we agree - was unfortunate.

Turning to the timeshare, one owner took the decision to let his apartment in a form of holiday ownership and during December there were a lot of people coming to vierw. The Owners Committee received some negative comments, had a frank discussion with the owner and the owner made some significant changes to the way in which people were shown around. The activity died down quite rapidly and is now neglible as the apartments, we understand, have been let. One member of the Owners Committee has been on site over the UK winter and so we have eyes on the ground and have kept a very close watch on the situation.

In summary, we are sorry that activities beyond the control of the owners at Club Lersuang spoiled your 'quiet enjoyment' of what is a superb destination which has been voted 2nd in the 'Phuket specialty lodgings' section of this site for many months - and will, we're sure, return to that position shortly. The Owners Committee, all of whom are unpaid volunteers, work with tremendous energy to ensure that owners and guests have the best possible experience at Club Lersuang. You will appreciate that the disappointment that you and the other reviewer had fills us with dismay.

Andrew Brixey-Williams
Chairman, Owners' Committee, Club Lersuang.

Sydney
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We had an absolutely great holiday in Bang Tao, Phuket - certainly the best beach on the island, not too crowded, very friendly and no hassles.

Club Lersuang was fantastic. Our apartment was spacious - we had four adults and two kids staying there and ample room - and it was very clean and well equiped.

The resort itself was great. The kids pool was a huge hit and you could get away from the fun and have a lesuirely swim in the (much) larger deeper pool. The restuarant served up great food with huge portions. The staff are very friendly and accomodating.

This resort is suitable for all ages. Our group graduated from age 2 to 62 and we all had a fantastic time.

I know this might sound cheesy but I would highly recommend this resort and Bang Tao and we can't wait to visit again!

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank SusieEms
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We stayed at Club Lersuang for Christmas and New Year in apartment D52 which was on the second floor with wonderful views over the pool area and also a seaview. The apartment was very spacious and excellently furnished. Club Lersuang is a few minutes walk from Bangtao beach along a sandy pathway. The clubhouse restaurant is excellent for b'fast/lunch/dinner, serving thai and western dishes at very reasonable prices. The gym area at Club Lersuang is well equipped and spacious. If I were to visit Phuket again I would have no hesitation in staying at Club Lersuang, it is located in the best area of Phuket as far as I am concerned.

• Liked — Comfort and locality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Coby1
Thailand
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I have been a long term renting resident of Club Lersuang since it opened in Late 2005 I was actually the second guest to move in. The Apartments are located in a fantastic area just 5 minutes away from bang tao and Surin Beaches, the local infrastructure is also well developed in the area with taxis, minimarts,Leisure facilities shops restaurants and bars all within 5-10 mins by car.

The complex has restaurant and bar on site as well as a large swimming pool and kids pool area . Gym jacuzzi and spa all enhance the facilities.

All in all the best partments I have ever stayed in

• Liked — Location price
  • Disliked — having to go home
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business