“A wonderful resort in Cherngtalay”

The Pavilions Phuket
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Stockholm, Sweden
“A wonderful resort in Cherngtalay”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The weather was terrible with near constant rain, so thank goodness the resort was so pleasant that the rain didn't put me in a bad mood, rather the opposite. I was picked up at the airport by one of the drivers at the resort. The trip from the airport to the hotel is about 20 min. When they took me to my villa (I believe my villa was called the Plantation pool pavilion (Spa & pool Pavilion) and was in the new section of the resort), I was surprised by how nice it was, especially the pool area, which included a lovely sala and a nice size garden with a marvelous lighting system for the evenings. The villa itself had a bar area, living room with a large plasma TV (of course) and a wonderful couch that could be used as a bed if you are too lazy to move from the living room to the bedroom. The bedroom was spacious and nicely done (no TV). The bathroom was large and of high standard (separate shower, two sinks, and bathtub). My villa had a spa room that included to spa beds and a shower/steam room-- it was fantastic, and so wonderful to take a massage in my own spa room. The Pavilions is situated on a hill so that means you are quite a distance from the sea (the hotel has shuttle service for that). The resort has 2 restaurants (be sure to visit the 360 Bar and outdoor Grill with its magnificent view), both of which I used. I even had one dinner brought to me at my villa. The diners were satisfactory (not out of this world) and of course the prices are a bit high, but they always are at 5-star hotels/resorts. Speaking of food, the breakfast was very nice (a la carte but could choose as many dishes as you wished). The resort offers both wire (LAN) and wireless (free), which worked excellently throughout my stay. The staff members were well trained and always polite and helpful. The only problem I had was that the girl who showed me my villa forgot to inform the spa that I scheduled a treatment and my reservation at one of the restaurants. Two things made me disappointed: no public pool/pool area (though one is under construction) and no fitness center (a big surprise for me). In conclusion, I can highly recommend the Pavilions for persons who prefer to relax and take it easy in the privacy of your own villa.

Room Tip: I think the Plantation pool pavilion is nice but some may prefer the ocean view villa, but remember...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lshapspro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was there with my wife on Eastern 2011 and I can say it has been one of the best experiences ever!
From the moment you arrive at the airport and you see someone with your name the indulging begins; you arrive and is like stepping into another world where everyone is there to make you feel better. My wife and I stayed in the new plantation villa, and it’s great, elegant, comfortable and modern.
The service is amazing, we always eat in, (heard many stories) and the food is great, I could never get tired of it.
Highly Highly recommended

Room Tip: If you're having a BBQ in the villa, order with time
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MY78
Bath, England
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This was our third visit to the Pavilions in Phuket and we are already planning when we can fit our next trip to this little paradise. We love the ocean view villas - beautiful sunset views from the infinity pool. We had a look at the new Plantation Villas and although lovely and spacious prefer the Ocean View more. The Plantation Villas are more modern with extra perks such as a Sonos system and Jacuzzi bath. They also have a seperate spa area in each villa,
JC, Linda and all the staff were so welcoming and responsive to all our requests. The food in the restaurants was great - Thai and Mediterranean choices. The villas are spacious and nicely furnished. They deserve their 5 stars and their rates are not overpriced as previously commented. For a stand alone villa with over 100 sq mt space, large pool, quality amenities and excellent service you won't find similar places cheaper.
Thank you again for a lovely stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view ask for high odd numbers 11-21, if you want new and modern ask for the planta...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank escholte
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed at Pavilions twice. The villa was very spacious and they provided very good service.
regardless what we requested,the staff tried their best to please us.The cooking class were profession. we did enjoy BBQ dinner at the villa very much.
if the restaurant could provide various foods for us to choose from, everything would be prefect.
The internet connection was improved on the 2nd time.
Thank you so much for yr hard work and for helping us hv a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Nice place but this is Thailand and you get 5 star accommodations for far less than this place. Stay away and go elsewhere.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank dinnercritique
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We recently returned from our trip to The Pavilions Phuket. The Ocean View Pool Villa's are perfectly located on the resort, just a short walk to the main reception and dining areas. The villa itself is even better than the photos can illustrate.. the living areas are enormous with uninterrupted views down to the ocean, and abosolute privacy.in all of the out door areas.

Meals were first class. The breakfast menu could be ordered and delivered to your villa if you preferred to stay in (as we did), water was provided for free, and all mini bar prices were what you would expect to pay at the local super market.. there were certainly no marked up prices. Dinner/Lunch room service could be set up in the lounge room or by the pool, and the staff were well trained and extremely friendly.

The only con that i can think of was regarding our booking, which had a few hicups (no fault of The Pavilions Phuket). Nontheless it was managed extremely well, and we were well compensated. It was also a pleasant surprise to have the general manager greet us at arrival and departure. All in all, we wont hesitate to return, infact we are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: VIlla 3 is located higher up on the hill, than villa 1.. hence a better view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roangi
Sasebo, Japan
Reviewed September 14, 2011

First off, let me just start by saying we spent our first week in Phuket in Kata-Noi, a good combination of peace & quiet but relatively close to lots of things to do. The Pavilions escourt taxi was excellent, they picked us up at our previous place, luxury ride, cold towel, fresh fruit, bottled water, etc. Driver was respectful and tactful, conversational wise, and not too chatty if you know what I mean.

My very first impression upon entering the security gate off the main road was, "uh oh, did I pick the right place for my wife & I to relax and enjoy, it seems quite out of the way from the beach, and everything else..." while chewing on my lip and passing frequent glances at my wife to pickup on what she may have been thinking at the time. But guys, relax, you made the right choice. Once you get to the welcome building, your senses should be at ease. It's airy, on top of the hill and a serenity that takes over you. "Checking in" is a breeze, another cool towel, refreshing drink and relaxing ambiance. Golf cart transportation to your villa. NOTE: It is my impression that the newer villas (aka the non-ocean view villas) are more modern and up-to-date as far as decor, style, furnishings and practical layout. The ocean view villas seemed in need of a renovation...basically, the only thing going for those villas is the view, which if you didn't happen to see one of the newer villas, you'd realize that the view almost does NOT offset the comfort of the non-ocean view villas. Additionally, the newer non-ocean view villas have their own separate spa room (which has two massage beds and full bath...another whole 'room' in itself...) Thus, since my wife's pregnant, we stuck with the non-ocean view villa b/c of the comfort, layout, amenities & modernization.

Ok, getting off the golf cart (again, mind you, this is the non-ocean view villas), you pass through a large, covered lounge area, then they show you how to use the lift to/fro your villa...the ocean view villas don't have this nor the large sala. Or you can use the open air steps, which is just as nice. The lift adds to the coolness factor. So, get off the lift at your respective villa's location, and enter your villa. First words that entered my mind were, "Damn right! Wow!" And I think at that point you realize with complete peace of mind that you're going to get what you paid for. Then they slide the large glass sliding doors away and you view the living room and then the bedroom w/cali king bed facing the sliding doors you just came through. And that's when the big cheek-cheek grin starts to form on your face. And your thoughts now change to, "We're definitely going to have some fun here!"

So, you get settled in, check out this and that, and the little details they've obviously attended to, and still amazed at the half moon/huge lounge like couch in the middle of the living room and discuss with your wife how perfect a "couch" like this would be in your place. (I've searched online for a similar couch b/c it's that good!) Again, let me remind you, I'm referring to the newer non-ocean view villas. The ocean villa has a plain ol 3 seater couch.

Cleanliness, attention to detail, freshness, amenities, etc are all above and beyond. Though at first you may be timid, just pick up the phone and ask/request what you want, mention this or that, or whatever...they are at your doorstep in less than 5 minutes regardless. Got a question about the tours out in town? Curious about having a fine dining out in the nearby area or even Patong beach? Recommendations? What's the forecast for the next few days? More toilet paper please. More towels or sneeze tissue? The ipod docking station? (and get this, I didn't even get the chance to mention it to them, but the spa room's a/c remote control batteries had run dead, and the unit wasn't turning on automatically, but again, attention to detail and the room service maids caught it and changed out the batteries.) Note: when they advertise peace and quiet, they mean it. As advertised, their staff is out of sight & out of mind, but yet right there when needed.

The breakfasts are delicious, a wide variety to choose from, from either a buffet or separate menu. Even after 7 days, it didn't get blah where you feel like you've run out of choices. Take advantage of happy hour & tapas at the 360 bar. Very nice eclectic atmosphere, soothing lounge music and great to watch the sunset. Relax and enjoy whatever drink you want. Mango/rum smoothie? No problem. Double shot/triple shot. Again, no problem. Oh, forgot to mention, morning mimosa's are good too. If you have 7 or thereabouts (lost count), recommend hydrate on water when you get back to the room...or continue your drinking spree through lunch and keep the buzz going; but don't let that let you forget the sunscreen. Mimosa's have a habit of doing that.

We ordered room service quite often, whether it was a mid day snack platter or dinner. Best room service I've had; food & service. Also, I recommend doing the bbq in your villa where you pick and choose meats/seafood/salad/dessert/etc and the cook grills it up right there. Fantastic.

We only left The Pavilion's on three occasions during our stay. Shuttle to the beach, once. Shuttle to the port for speedboat tour to james bond island. And then taxi ride to Patong beach for dinner. (The front desk will make all the arrangements for your tour, just let them know what you want to see, and it's taken care of. Also, LOL, I got a humble chuckle from this on the day of our speedboat tour, but you're the last to be picked up by the shuttle van in the morning, and one of the first to get dropped off at the end of the day...b/c there are other guests from other nearby accommodations that were already in the van in the morning, so I imagine they had to "start their day off" at least an hour earlier than we. In the end, it was kind of nice to know that The Pavilion's prestige extends to everything. Additonally, the hotel hired a cab for our dinner out in Patong, and the cabbie was there waiting for us when we were done. Naturally, the front desk will provide you a card with directions & telephone number in the event that something goes awry from your plan.

And last but not least, the staff. Impeccable. Professional, but naturally warm hearted with the best intentions, and genuine smiles. When you see them, you instinctively know they enjoy their job, enjoy working for their employer and enjoy seeing you enjoy yourselves to the fullest extent.

Oh, forgot to mention, the pool and sala in your villa. It's just awesome. Plain & simple. We lucked out with 4 of 7 good days in July. Afternoon storms (but they pass by relatively quick). I'd do it again b/c I'd be afraid to see what the high season is like, Phuket in general. But then again, if you stay at The Pavilions, high or low season, crowds / loud people is the least of your worries. One last thing, no kids under 18! Also, didn't see any "teens". Guestimate mid-late twenties young but mature couple were the "youngest" we saw. Note: 360bar, I believe, becomes open to non-guests for a set period of time, but b/c The Pavilions is so secluded and/or discreet with security at their entrance, I assume the people that do visit the 360bar are guests at some of the other luxury resorts in the Layan beach area... Yet the couple times we went to the 360bar, there were only a handful of people (other Pavilion guests) who we've seen sparsely at breakfast or what not.

Well I'll stop typing if you stop reading and just book your stay already. It's worth it in all aspects.

Room Tip: Depending on the time of the year, low season, recommend asking to see an ocean view villa and non-o...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
#8 of 96 in Thalang District
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 34 in Choeng Thale

Been to The Pavilions Phuket? Share your experiences!