“We've traveled around the world but THE best and the most romantic villa ever...”

Ayara Hilltops Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had a coupon so I ended up paying $175/night for the courtyard suite and stayed for 2 nights. Upon check in we were upgraded to a room with better view and stayed at suite #825 which directly faces Surin beach and the bay. I have to say, I have stayed at my share of hotels but this was by far the most romantic location and view, ever, in my life.

Location: Surin beach is on northern part of Phuket, its not as developed and touristy as Patong beach which is 15-20 mins ride. This is where the locals live but you still have one small downtown area 10 mins north of the resort. The private beach is nice with enough bars and shops to keep you entertained. This is DEFINITELY not where all the action is, this would be ideal for honeymooners or couples wanting to get away and be secluded but still have easy access to all the action in Patong beach. The resort is literally on a hilltop overlooking the beach so the main street isn't the easiest to navigate if driving or on a scooter. But its a quick 10 mins walk to the beach from the lobby or you can take the buggy from the resort which is available. ***TIP: There is a phone available at the buggy stop outside your villa. I did not hear ANY noise at all even though I had a full view of the main street, I guess due to our suite being pretty high up. In fact, I didn't hear anything, at all.

Resort: I've noticed Phuket is rather small and the resorts aren't as mega-structured. Ayara especially is a rather traditional beauty than a chain brand with lavish ammenities. But it has a gorgeous pool, bar, a restaurant, GORGEOUS spa (GO TO THE SPA, ITS SO CHEAP TOO!), a gym, a tiny gift shop, and a beautiful ground you can just explore.

Inclusive breakfast: Nothing to complain about. Spacious dining, juicer to juice your own fresh juice, tons of western and Thai choices. I believe an omelette station as well.

Service was immaculate, no complaints whatsoever. ***TIP: If you want a turn down service or to have the dishes picked up you need to display the sign on the main door. If you order a room service they ring the bell on the side of the villa so 90% of your villa is private.

Order the room service, yes its not the cheapest but its also reasonable. Order a dinner and just lounge on the patio overlooking the view none like any in the world. Honestly it was pretty cheap in fact.

ROOM/VILLA: Villa would be more appropriate, its really your own private villa. Our suite we hiked down a few steps to an overhang, then turned into a private seclusion into the patio. You first jump over a mini lotus pond (w/tadpoles!) then to the livingroom. Then to outside the courtyard w/hot water balinese shower and water feature. Then to the bedroom which connects to the bathroom suite with a soaking tub and a shower. Then a cold jetted tub outside the bedroom by the patio with 180 view of the beach, lush greens, main street, and the bay. USE all the ammenities, take 5 showers a day if you must, so worth it. Our favorite part of Phuket was our suite, because it just felt so exotic and serene. So you basically have 2 tubs and 2 showers and all the rooms are connected by sliding doors and ULTRA private at least our villa, you really feel like you have submerged yourself somewhere hidden.

***TIP: Rent a scooter for 400 bht which is like $10/day and instead of taking it to Patong beach, drive up north past the resort's beach to where the locals live. You'll see Phuket the real way, accidentally stumble upon long tail boats and private homes and just drive through the park.

If you MUST, cab it to Patong beach or a tuk tuk, rates are reasonable. I found Patong beach to be very similar to Hawaii but, dirtier and not as pretty IMO.

***We flew from Bangkok to Phuket and then back for $100 roundtrip for the both of us including 1st seating meaning we sat on the first row of the small plane via Air Asia

Room Tip: Ask, and ask again, and then ask some more. And since it was a big package you can apply some coupon...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cheaptravelbug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in the Deluxe Sea View Suite. The hotel rooms (villas) are situated on a slope facing the beautiful Surin Beach. We enjoyed the magnificient sea view in all parts of the suite, including the sitting room, bedroom and the private whirlpool and deck chairs. Just imagine how nice it is watching sunset at your private whirlpool or deck chair.

In case you wish to have a real feel of the Surin Beach, just walk a few minutes, or if you are lazy enough, call the free buggy service.

The room is clean with luxurious layout and furnishing. After sweating through exercises, it is a wonderful experience to refresh yourself bubble bath in the luxurious bath tub, or enjoy the lovely breezes while bathing under the private outdoor shower.

You would always be welcomed by all staff with warm smiles and excellent services, whether you approach the reception, tour desk, room make-up, buggy service or the restaurant. In particular teh reception desk and tour desk provided very helpful touring information and transport arrangements. Free buggy service is always ready to connect you between your room, hotel facilities and the surnin Beach.

All-in-all, it is a hotel hotel excellent in all rounds. In particular I love most to enjoy the grand sea view lying in the deck chair in the private terrace in the morning as well as relaxing in the private massaging whirlpool during the evening.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripmaker_hk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Me and my wife stayed in the resort for 3 nights. We have chosen the super deluxe courtyard seaview suite. The view from the suite was magnificent. Great suite layout and very clean facilities.
Hotel staffs are very professional and helpful. They are really well trained to handle requests.
One of the best hotels we ever stayed!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank KP117
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here for last leg of honeymoon. The pool suite was amazing had views over the beach very well maintained property. The staff were very professional and will go out of their way to please guests. One of the best places great value for money.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank mentat333
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed at Ayara for 3 nights for a much needed vacation, I was specifically looking for a great boutique hotel for full relaxation and rejuvenation.

Upon arriving at Ayara, I was greeted by the friendliest and most helpful front desk you can find! Knowing I was tired, the registration was quick, and in the blink of an eye I was on a buggy to my room.

As I was ushered into my room, the first thing I noticed was the spectacular view looking into the beach! And then I noticed the jacuzzi perfectly positioned to relax whilst sipping champaign and watching the day go by.

I knew at this point I had made the right decision!

The 3 nights went way too quickly! After getting used to being treated like a king and watching breath taking views from your room, now I am back home I feel slightly depressed!

Ayara is definitely one of the best boutiques I have been to, and my recommendation if you ate going to Phuket to relax, or have a bit of romance!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Molomo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We have spent a week in Ayara Hilltops- our Honeymoon- and it was excellent from a moment hotel limo picked us up from the airport.

We have booked a deluxe room with a seaview. The room and the bathroom were very spacious and very clean. The jacuzzi tub was cold and therefore we really hardly used it but it might be due to the fact that the weather was really bad during our stay.

The staff offered outstanding service and the food in the hotel restaurant was very good.

Spa was great - we have enjoyed treatments & massages very much.

Fitness room was small and not really clean.

Absolutely great hotel with an excellent service- surely recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

4 night stay in late May, midway between our first destiation of Bangkok and our final destination Kuala Lumpur.

I arrange the resort limo to pick us up at Phuket Airport which it did without any problems. 30 minute drive to hotel and we were at the check in desk.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the service was outstanding from every member of staff.

The room itself was a super deluxe seaview which had fantastic views from the terrace. Very spacious bedroom, lounge and bathroom. Terrace also very large. The 'hot tub' was more of a cool plunge pool and ideal for cooling down in.

The resort was very quite due it being low season which meant almost exclusive use of the pool most days.

Had a couple of massage treaments in the spa which were excellent - highly recommended.

Surin Beach is a lovely spot, only a few minutes walk from resort with some really nice bars and restaurants. All in all a great little resort to chill out in away from the vulgarity of Patong Beach!!!

Great resort, 5 stars all round.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#2 of 34 in Choeng Thale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,773 reviews

Been to Ayara Hilltops Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!