“True luxury and comfort -- worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Surin Phuket

The Surin Phuket
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Choeng Thale
hong kong
“True luxury and comfort -- worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

I would not recommend Phuket as a destination -- there is not much to do on the island, the F&B scene is unimpressive, it lacks the character of Bali, and caters almost exclusively to a european clientele, making it very expensive. However, if relaxation is what you're after, then The Chedi is well worth your trip. This resort is an oasis. The private beach it is on is the most beautiful on the island. There are many, many steps to climb to your cottage (unless you stay beachfront) but I think the idea is to experience the natural setting, which is that of lush greens. Imagine walking up to your cottage and seeing bananas trees. You almost want to grab one for yourself. The bathroom was a little old but it did not spoil our experience. The bed was so comfortable I stripped off the sheets one morning to look for the make. The breakfast had a wonderful selection of Western & Asian foods. The staff was friendly, helpful, but not intrusive. This hotel is a true luxury hotel and is well worthwhile. I recommend the Chedi Phuket and look forward to staying at other Chedi hotels after this wonderful experience.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

We loved this hotel - although for 4 large adults the villa was a little cramped. The sea is absolutely beautiful here - warm, clean and clear, with enough waves to make it fun without any danger. The hotel shares the beach with the neighbouring Amanpura Hotel, but with no easy public access it stays uncrowded, and the Chedi has the lions share of the beach as well. We found that the pool was a little too warm for our liking, but the sea was so spectacular that it didn't matter. The villas are well appointed and stylish, but are spread out on a precipitous hillside with steep steps so this is not a destination for the infirm or those with small children. The service was impeccable and the food in the various restaurants was excellent and varied. Phuket is getting very built up and crowded but this hotel is so nice that you needn't leave it! Good interesting souvenir shop too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Michaelbrown99
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

My wife and I did months of research on where to stay in Phuket. after all of the research was completed, we decided on the Chedi. After a long flight, we arrived at the airport, and were met by the driver we had made arrangements for. He promptly drove us the 40 minutes or so, to the Chedi. As we crested the hill and got our first view of the hotel lobby, our first thought was WOW! We were greeted by the bellmen, and taken to the check in desk where we were given a cool moist towel to clean our faces with, and a "Welcome Drink", which remained our favorite drink for the rest of our time there.
The check in was quick and easy. My wife mentioned that it was going to be my birthday and they asked permission to upgrade our room at no extra charge to us. I had booked a Beach Studio Suite, but they escorted us to Beach Deluxe Suite #1. We quickly explored the room while we waited for our bags to arrive, which took only 5 minutes. Again, WOW, what a beautiful room. The air conditioning was very cold, the room was extremely clean and the beds were comfortable. The internet in the room worked fine. We walked out on the porch and realize that the water was 10 meters from the porch. Indie the room we had both a shower and a tub, but we were never able to get hot water to work in the tub. ******Warning******* With any sand on your bare feet, the floors are EXTREMELY slippery.
When we awoke the next morning it was even better then the night before. Absolutely beautiful. The beach is very well maintained and very private. There are ladies that do massage on the beach for 1 hour or so for $12. They will only interact with you if you ask for a massage. There are a few people that sell ice cream and drinks on the beach, but they clearly understand no with a smile.
We ate at the on site restaurants many times and loved it. Breakfast was a great buffet with eggs to order, fresh fruit and pastries. The room service was a perfect way to dine on our private porch. All of the food we had was excellent and left nothing to be desired.
When we visit the Chedi again, I will rent a car or moped. The driveway is a steep walk, that we made each day to visit Surin Beach. Also, ****BEWARE**** There are many many stairs which could be a major challenge to someone health challenged.
We booked many tours while we were in Thailand and enjoyed all of them except Phuket Fantasea. It was just a little wierd for us.

This is NOT a party hotel. It is a quite place for romance, or for families to spend time together. There is a bar, but it is a quiet laid back affair. This area is 30 minutes from the Patong Beach area, with all of the party atmosphere. That being said, Surin Beach is a very nice little area with good restaurants also. There is also a very friendly man that sells many nice sarong, shirts and other various items.

Overall this hotel is an absolute 5 in my book. We had a great time and made many fantastic memories!!! Highly recommended to all of my friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Chedi for two weeks in August 2009. Having got an amazing deal with dreamticket.com (buy 7 nights, get 7 free) we were even more excited about going! A nightmare start to the holiday as we were delayed by 24hours, courtesy of Thai airways. However once there we were greeted by beautifully dressed Thai men and women who gave us a fruit cocktail and a cool towel to refresh ourselves. The reception and bungalows were fantastic and the pool was rarely used and very quiet. The hotel was very clean, quiet, well maintained and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. They leave fresh towels, fresh orchids and beautifully fragranced shower gels for you to use on a daily basis The only ‘negative’ was our slightly erratic shower which seemed to run hot and cold as it wished. This just led to numerous comedy moments though! I have read several reviews about the steps at the resort and there is also a fairly steep hill entering the resort. I therefore agree that it would not be suitable for those with mobility problems. However for most the steps should be seen as a good way to walk off the calories consumed during your happy hour cocktails and not an area of complaint! We both felt they contributed to the fantastic design of the hotel and the bungalows privacy.

We opted for the bed and breakfast deal and the breakfast banquets were great. Including a fantastic range of fresh fruit, cereals, breads and a cooking station where the chef would make egg dishes, pancakes etc. It also started early (6 am) for those who were out and about! If you are planning on eating at the hotel I would advise that you upgrade to full board as the meals are expensive by Thai standards (but similar to UK evening meals). I would however advise you to ‘venture out a little’. There is one good restaurants at the twin palms on the ‘main road’ (Hat Sunin 8) before you turn up to the chedi. The food is very fresh and probably the best we had there- you will be treated superbly. This was approx £30pp. There is another very nice restaurant on the beach front, which can be accessed by walking to the sea front from the ‘main road’. This one is about half way along the ‘strip’ with white furniture and palm trees wrapped with light rope. You can easily walk past it but it would be a shame to do so! The food is fantastic and you can enjoy a feast of authentic thai food with a few bottles of beer for around £10pp. This really was superb value as you can enjoy your meal sat on the beachfront, watching the sun set as they light tourches set amongst you in the sand.

Being at the end of the low season we were a little concerned about the weather and it did rain most nights. However long after we had gone to bed and it was no inconvenience whatsoever. We did quite a bit of diving and went with Dive Asia (found in Rat-u-thit street (or something similar) in Phuket). They are far cheaper and still a Padi 5 star. Book when you get out there as you will save alot ofmoney!! They are about 50% of the price of H2O who the hotel promote. The diving was fantastic- make sure you do dives at the Phi Phil islands, koh doc mai, shark point and anemone reef. These were great dives, however, for me Raja Noi and Raja Yai were not on the same level.

If you are going anywhere go to the taxi drivers by the lobby and book directly with them. If you book through the hotel they will take a large proportion of their earnings. We gave them £20 and hired the new air-conditioned Volvo for the day. The driver happily drove us anywhere we wanted so we went around the island- including elephant riding, into Phuket and to a very nice restaurant. We did however do the obligatory tuk tuks a few times (make sure you barter!) and had some fantastic shirts and a trench coat made. Which were very reasonable and great quality. We went with the tailor recommended by the hotel and I’m glad that we did this as I did see the quality of some of the clothes made by others and it wasn’t anywhere near as good!! We ventured into Phuket a few times, which is far more lively than the area by the Chedi. If you want to have a few late nights and experience some of the more riske aspects of Thailand Phuket is a must. For me, i was always glad to return to the Chedi!!

All in all, we had an absolutely fantastic couple of weeks and I would recommend the Chedi and Thailand to everyone. Would I go back? Probably not, but only because I feel Thailand has so much to offer and i would not want to limit myself to one area. I would however definitely recommend it to a friend though. Please do not be put off by other reports. Not going would be such a shame. A very tranquil, 5 star level, quality hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
eastern long island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

I agree with so many of the positive reviews about the Chedi in Phuket - the location, the beach, our beach cottage was wonderful - HOWEVER, I (I guess as most people) think we are so easy to get along with. The staff at the Chedi Phuket needed an attitude adjustment. I am really sorry to write this and yes, I see that no one else has experienced this but I am not kidding - the front desk? Ridiculous! We weren't looking for anyone to kiss up but come on, not even a hello as we passed? Really really really, just wanted a nod to acknowledge us when we were sitting at the desk to ask for something. We actually though it was pretty weird. I do wonder if this is because we dd not book with them directly? Just a thought......
Now of course there are wonderful people working at the Chedi but the bad apples just seemed so "in your face"
Truly, our only experience like this in the 3 weeks we spent traveling, even our very anti-American Vietnam guide was so pleasant and kind.
The other piece of this is we stayed at the Chedi Chiang Mai the week before. Absolutely night and day. And call me crazy but is it really necessary at a resort such as this to charge me $3.50 each time I use the internet? Really, it is not the money - but come on. And once again, how spoiled were we? The Chedi Chiang Mai loans you a lap top!
Would we stay at the Chedi Phuket again? Absolutely - the location, beach, walk to restaurants if you tired of the resort - all great.
Some little incidentals; it is a very kid friendly resort so there were quite a few little ones running around. Not a problem for us but just know the pool can be noisy.
The breakfast is pretty lame - again, we were comparing to Chiang Mai. But the fruit is wonderful and you can get egg whites and eat as healthy as you want.
I know some guests say the resort looks dated - we just loved it all, thought our room was immaculate and so comfortable. Yes, lots of steps but that can be an excuse to skip a work out.
I am so glad we finished our 3 weeks relaxing in Phuket - it made our travels perfect. If you make the journey, enjoy!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachgirl30
Fullinsdorf, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

We were staying at the Chedi 9 years ago and enjoyed it that much back then that we wanted to get back. - And we were not disappointed at all.

The service is great, the staff very friendly and helpful and the location just wonderful. - And as to our "history" - the Chedi is very well maintained and is not worn at all.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank WeThree_Swiss
Spokane, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

We did alot of research before selecting the Chedi for our 2 week stay in Phuket, and I think we made a great choice! The beach would be the number one reason to stat at this resort, it was spectacular! No hoards of venders with rows upon rows upon ROWS of lounge chairs like we saw at every other beach. The Chedi's beach truely is private, calming and really just breathtaking. And the staff do a great job maintaining it and making you comfortable while you're there, they also provide many free activities (ping-pong, wind surfing, kayaking).
I really didn't have a problem with the stairs, although I could see where someone who was staying furthur up on the hillside would. We stayed in # 325 which was about half way up the hill and to the north of the resort near the Beach restaurant. Unfortunately there were a few nights (on two seperate weekends) where there must have been a wedding or something at the beach restaurant, because there was very loud music playing throughout the evening until about 10 or 11 at night. And this made it almost impossible to sleep. The room itself wasn't quite 5 stars, but it definitely wasn't run down as some reviews had mentioned. It was cute and had plenty of space for the two of us!
The restaurant had a really great breakfast buffet every morning, there was something for everyone. While the bar had wonderful (although pricey) drinks, you might want to go elsewhere for dinner. While it was good (with the exception of the duck curry), it was a bit expensive. Try walking just down the hill and onto the street where there are several good restaurants, we recommend a little place called "Lemongrass". Or you could go another 1/4 mile or so to Surin beach where there are many more choices.
Overall the positives here overshadow the negatives. The staff was lovely and always friendly, the lobby and gounds were beautiful, and the beach was almost beyond words. After seeing the other choices in Phuket, I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,171 reviews
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Surin Phuket? Share your experiences!