“Probably a good older family resort”

Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Reviewed March 13, 2014

For its age, it was in not bad condition overall. We stayed in the ground floor deluxe seaview. It was taken over by Outrigger about a year ago and although repainted, the rooms need revamping. Probably not the type of resort we would normally stay at, it didn't have any wow, just your everyday run of the mill family resort.

Pros:
- room was clean, had a climate control air con so was only on when required
- resort facilities were comparable to other large resort style hotels
- good functional gym with a rower
- service and staff were great and a real asset to the resort
- Chang the elephant was really adorable, as far as we can tell, she was well cared for
- local restaurants and shops including massage places just to the left of beach, very convenient

Cons:
- main pool got really dirty due to volume of people, needs attention, we saw/stepped on cupcake wrapper and other rubbish in the water
- although staff were attentive, breakfast buffet was pretty basic with few options considering the size of the resort
- deluxe rooms needs a reno to brighten and lift from current dark brown interior
- expensive and limited taxi service as it was contracted by one group, no independent service avail making this a very expensive option to get around
- room service food was just okay
- very thin walls, we had to bang on neighboring wall as we were trying to sleep and could hear everything going on in room next door
- there was a constant ticking/scratching noise coming from bathroom wall, kept us awake all night
- advertised as new, this is a stretch, it has new owners but definitely not new

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear bernardjenkins,

Thank-you for choosing to spend your vacation with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort. Thank-you also for taking the time to post your feedback.

I was happy to read that you experienced great service during your stay, but do take on board your experiences related to consistency of cleanliness around the pool and the variety at the breakfast buffet and will certainly address these points with my colleagues.

I was sorry to read that you felt the resort and guest rooms needed revamping. While I certainly respect your comments, I would just like to mention for the benefit of other readers, that the property was closed for a period of ten months in 2012 / 2013 as it underwent an extensive renovation of public areas, recreation facilities, restaurants and guest rooms. That being said I will investigate fully your feedback related to the noise in the bathroom as this should certainly not happen.

Thank-you again for your feedback and I do hope you enjoyed your time in Phuket

There are newer reviews for Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We chose to stay with outrigger beach resort purely because of its location and previous great reviews and we were not disappointed!
The resort has got beautiful grounds,3 fantastic and clean pools to choose from and very attentive and friendly staff. We've never had a problem finding anyone to help so I don't understand the complaints of the hotel being understaffed.

FOOD
The breakfast was so delicious it was my kids' favourite meal of the day.The selection was incredible. As for lunch and dinner it was definitely on the pricey side and not necessarily better than in a nearby restaurant on the beach so that's where we were mainly having lunches.

ROOM
Very spacious and clean, the housekeeping was doing an incredible job, also responded very quick to a couple of our phone calls. The day bed that was massive and both our children slept in it very comfortably. There was no need for an extra bed.

The resort is quite remote however just a short ride in a cab from surin beach and other places if you wanted to venture out. We were mostly using a tuk tuk service which our kids loved. We found a couple of fantastic restaurants too, SUNSET , which was just couple of minutes ride in a cab, which cost 150bht booked via hotel. This restaurant was our absolute favourite, very busy though, which only shows how great the food was. Other place we ate at was called SOM and they offered a complimentary pick up and drop off to and from the hotel. Again amazing.

Just by the pools there were some shops where we were buying ice cream and drinks and booked few trips too. All very reasonably priced.
There was plenty of sun beds, unless you wanted the ones by kids pool or the beach, then you had to be fast,but we weren't bothered and always chose the beds as far of the kids pool as possible.

If I had to be really picky I'd have to say how rude some of the Russian tourist were. Kids had no manners whatsoever, at breakfast the adults were pushy and stuffing their plates as if the hotel was running out of food! Someone has told me that Russians get a special rate with the resort hence they make out about 40% of the hotel guest.

All in all we really did feel we were in paradise and would highly recommend the place. The only reason we won't be back it's because there's too many others places we'd like to visit.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank KasiaRoss
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear KasiaRoss
Many thanks for choosing to spend your vacation with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable family holiday and would like to thank-you for sharing your positive feedback about the resort and the service you received. It was great to read also that your kids loved the breakfast and were able to sleep comfortably on the daybed.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the future and until then

With very best regards

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We booked this hotel because of the good reviews and the fact that it is right on the beach and were not disappointed. Our club room with a fantastic sea view was large and well equipped. The service in all areas was very good. The club itself was a highlight. Attentive service, excellent canapés in the evening and the wine tasted very good. The beach is very nice and invites you to stroll. Unfortunately, the sun beds are occupied very early in the morning. also the staff which gets tip, reserved the beds :-(
Unfortunately we only had 4 days there but we'll be back :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mogu77
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Mogu77,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort. Thank-you also for taking the time to share your feedback.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the quality of the beach and the service and amenities you received at our club.
Thank-You also for your feedback regarding the reservation of sun beds. I will certainly take the opportunity to review this with my recreation team so we can make sure sun beds are more freely available and not reserved for long periods of time.
I am sorry you could only spend 4 days with us this time but do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hi

We live in Dubai and almost all the hotels here are 4/5 star so many hotels can suffer by comparison. The outrigger was not one of them. This is a really nice hotel, large freshly renovated room with really good facilities. Pool area has plenty of beds and are located such that you can be with families or a little quieter out of the way.

The service was excellent, our 11 year old son joined us unexpectedly the hotel made no fuss about him joining us in our room and went the extra mile, contacting the local airline to help me arrange additional domestic flights for him.

Within the Laguna resort there is many dinning options, most of the hotels are pricy for Thailand so be sure to check that's what you want before booking, there are also alternatives on the beach next to the hotel and some other restaurants 10-15 mins away. The hotel will arrange taxi's/ pick ups for you no problem.

It is a very quiet hotel and this is the only down side, but you are only a taxi ride away from some of the more lively Phuket locations. This was ideal for us as we were looking for 90% relaxation and 10% lively.

We thought the room price was very reasonable and were upgraded on arrival, cost in the resort are high but you get what you pay for and as said above there are plenty options depending on what you are looking for.

I would happily return to this hotel and on my experience here will look for outrigger hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Club rooms are easily large enough for 2 adults and 2 kids (sharing the day bed, no need for additio...
5  Thank hunterfamily2014
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear hunterfamily2014,

Many thanks for choosing to spend your vacation with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort. Thank-you also for taking the time to share your feedback on this travel site
I was delighted to read that your son was able to join you on this trip and that you enjoyed a relaxing family holiday. I was happy to read also that you enjoyed the resort facilities, layout and service you received.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the resort on your next visit to Phuket.

Thank-you again and best regards

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have been to Phuket more than 30 times and stayed at a number of hotels over the years, but I can honestly say that the newly refurbished Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort has everything going for it. Firstly location, it is right on the beach and it is a fabulous beach in a sort of bay. You can walk 3+ kilometres left or right without running out of beach. We were there in February, which must be the best time of year. The sea is quite calm, the water warm and great to swim in. From a location perspective, the Laguna area offers many things to do, shops, restaurants etc, all within a short walk or using the complimentary shuttle bus or ferry. Secondly, the hotel is sparkling. The renovation is fabulous and all the areas of the hotel are fresh and stylish. The pool area is really classy with waterways that seem to wander all over the place. There is a water slide for the kids. I use the gym all the time and the facility is first class, with top end LifeFitness equipment. There are lots of restaurant choices within the hotel or the other nearby hotels and they provide the option to charge the meal to your room account at the Outrigger. There are also lots of restaurant choices on the beach if you want to chose a more relaxed and lower cost option. We booked a Club room. The Club is fabulous and the staff amazing. You have the choice of sitting outside taking in the views of the lake or inside if you want to get away from the heat. They serve a great breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea and then evening cocktails with a tasting menu that changes daily. Lastly, the room. We booked a Sea Front room and when we checked in, the receptionist offered us the option to upgrade to a suite for a reasonable extra price. Once we saw the Layan Suite, there was no going back. The suite was huge and virtually hangs over the beach. We were literally 50 meters to the waters edge. The suite had all the amenities that you could imagine and was maintained impeccably. The regular rooms also look amazing and I would strongly recommend that you pay the little extra for the seafront rooms. They are well worth it and I would also advocate you take the Club option. Overall, this was a fantastic experience, so much so, I wrote this review whilst I am still staying in the hotel.

Room Tip: Book a seafront room and consider taking the Club option
6  Thank Craig D
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Craig D,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort and for taking the time to share your feedback.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank-you for your very kind comments about the property and our team. It was great to see you enjoyed the club experience also.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Phuket and in the meantime if I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me at any time

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Friends of ours recommended the hotel. It was our sixth time in Phuket but first time at the Outrigger. The service throughout our stay was marvellous - the warm welcome by front desk staff, the service in the restaurants, at the pool bar or during dinner (lovely barbecue on the beach with great lobster and steak). Staff was very attentive and extremely friendly. Breakfast offers a variety of food from different countries, big selection. We saw Germans, Austrians, Swiss, Russians and Japanese and enjoyed this international atmosphere and the mix of families and couples. Our room was near the pool and the beach and had sea view and it was quiet, clean, comfortable with nice amenities. The wifi worked well even at the beach if you didn't walk too far away from the hotel. The fitness room is well equipped and clean and plenty of activities such as surfing lessons were available. The catamaran on the beach belongs to the hotel and was free of charge. we took it out one afternoon, it was in good shape and perfect to sail. One of the nicest hotels at one of the best beaches in Phuket, we will be back.

3  Thank Sheepberlin
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This property is absolutely beautiful. Too bad they do not have the service to go with it.

The bell men are absolutely great but once you get to your room forget it.

I saw one reviewer post that around the pool and beach area there were staff walking around just looking for guest to service. I can tell you while we were there they were nonexistent. For every drink that we wanted we had to go get. At one point I asked if I could order drinks and they just said yes then ignored me. Maybe that was too out of the box question because most service industry personnel would have asked how they could help. On our first night we sat next to the bar and had to ask for every drink.

The same is true with the restaurants. Breakfast buffet is great but the other food is mediocre at best. Once again service stinks and the attitude if their wait staff is not in the least bit friendly.

I read other reviewers complain about the Russian clientele and was offended by such remarks. I now understand why such mentions were made. As one reviewer points out there must be some heavy marketing in that country. Just a very rude and inebriated atmosphere.

To top it off on our last day there the couple we were with ran out of toilet paper in their bathroom, really unacceptable.

Really a shame because this could really be a nice resort. We will not return on our next visit to Phuket and will not recommend.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank L H
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear L H
Thank-you for choosing to stay with us at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort and for taking the time to post your feedback.
I was disappointed to read your comments in relation to the service and attentiveness you experienced during your stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies for these shortcomings.
I will share your feedback with the team so that we can learn from your experience and improve the service we offer to all guests moving forward.
I hope you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us on your next visit to Phuket and would ask that if I can be of any assistance to you in the future then please do not hesitate to contact me at any time

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Thale
#10 of 36 in Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong

Been to Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!