We stayed from 9-15 Feb. I had reviewed the resort immediately upon our return, but apparently TA experienced some sort of tech glitch, and it got lost on cyberspace! So here it goes again....
We read about this newly refurbished resort just before leaving the Banyan Tree Samui 2 months prior and decided to give it a try....how bad could it be right, being brand new and being the sister hotel of BT?? Boy were we in for a rude awakening!
General public areas looked nice and new, but the lagoon view room we had was old and tired inside....this is just months after it reopened! And there was definitely no sign of that big purple rug you see in their website pictures. There were 2 huge stains on the tiles in the room. There were missing tiles in the bath/ shower stall. The toilet cistern lid had a huge chunk missing, it was oozing some sort of rusty liquid from the back. The grout and tiles in the bathroom were grubby. One of the purple bedhead lights was busted and nobody bothered to fix it during the entire duration of our stay. Be prepared to be greeted by bathroom scales and an in-room safe from the last millenium! I did not realise their idea of a multi million dollar make over meant slapping a coat of paint on the ex-Sheraton fixtures! And the stinky old elevators...nobody thought of changing that during their renovation???
Not to mention the putrid smell in the corridors leading to the room....
To make matters worse, there was a big 3-day wedding during our stay and certain section of the hotel were off limits at one time or another. When the wedding guests finally packed up, we breathed a sigh of relief....only to have the hotel invaded by a huge financial logistics convention. The first day, they took over the green behind the pool. I understand that the hotel has to set up in advance for the evening function, but to let the irritating DJ carry on with his super loud 'tsk! tsk! Testing' 'tsk! Testing, testing!' over and over again is just totally unacceptable! I had enough and went over physically to shut him up!! Thereby ending my relaxing lie by the pool! Then on Valentine's night, the same group decided to have their super loud karaoke session at the same place! Their tone deaf rendition of 'country road take me home', was enough to peel the enamel off anyone's teeth! I just pity the poor smucks who chose to stay in the hotel to have their romantic dinner!
Checking in took a long time, but leaving was worse. We called 3 times in the space of 20 mins and noone came to get our bags, so we had to lug them by ourselves and left with a bitter after taste. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, go elsewhere as this is a hotel that caters to the masses.I guess this resort got its 5 star rating by riding on the tails of the BT. It certainly does the good BT name a great injustice by calling itself a sister hotel.
The only saving grace this hotel has is Lucky....the Baby Elephant!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm tropical sun, pristine white sand beaches and a shimmering blue sea. Angsana Laguna Phuket has it all. Play golf, snorkel, island hop, or bask on the beach, this is the ideal resort to spend a restful beach vacation, romantic rendezvous or a fun-filled family holiday. Angsana Laguna Phuket is the flagship establishment of the Angsana Hotels and Resorts - managed by luxury hospitality brand, the Banyan Tree Group. The resort features 401 immaculately decorated guest rooms, lofts, suites and private villa residences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, HRS and Evoline ltd so you can book your Angsana Laguna Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angsana Laguna Phuket Hotel Thalang
- Sheraton Hotel Cherngtalay
- Sheraton Resort Cherngtalay
- Sheraton Phuket
- Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket
- Phuket Sheraton
- Angsana Laguna Phuket Thailand